It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

9 week puppy won't go back to sleep in crate during the night

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
bballbabe1855
Newborn
Newborn

Puppy - 9 week puppy won't go back to sleep in crate during the night Empty
PostSubject: 9 week puppy won't go back to sleep in crate during the night   Puppy - 9 week puppy won't go back to sleep in crate during the night EmptyWed Jan 03, 2018 8:46 am

Hello,

My 9-week husky will wake up around 2-3am to use the bathroom. I will take her out of the crate to go into the backyard to pee. Once that is done, she goes all wild and thinks it is play time for like an hour. I cannot seem to calm her down to go back to bed.

When I put her back in the crate, all she does in whine for over 30 mins. By that time, because I am worried about waking up other people, I go and take her out. I wait for her to calm down on the couch and fall asleep, then I am able to pick her up and back into the crate without issue.

How do I get her to understand to just go use that bathroom and go back to sleep afterward?

She does get plenty of exercise before going to bed earlier.

Thank you!

Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: 9 week puppy won't go back to sleep in crate during the night   Puppy - 9 week puppy won't go back to sleep in crate during the night EmptyWed Jan 03, 2018 11:40 am

You've only had her a week at this point (assuming you got her at the recommended 8 weeks) so she is still getting a routine down, learning the rules, and getting used to the adventure that is living in this new place. For the most part time will do the work. Some do well if you crate them in the bedroom with you and will settle down faster, but don't give in to play. Some do well if you cover the crate with a blanket to create a dark den that will make them feel secure and a little more finalized about being in the crate. I used to give my big male a chew of some sort for him to finish the night when we first got him and his sleep cycle was weird so he had something to do that wasn't wake me up. Having a radio on in the background has been known to help dogs who deal with separation anxiety.

Teenager
Teenager

Male Join date : 2016-09-01

PostSubject: Re: 9 week puppy won't go back to sleep in crate during the night   Puppy - 9 week puppy won't go back to sleep in crate during the night EmptyWed Jan 03, 2018 1:50 pm

NEVER combine bathroom time with playtime. NEVER.
Even if you are letting the dog out to go to the bathroom and then plan to interact with her, don't. Let her go out to the bathroom, then come back in, wait a little bit, then go out to play.

Also, like anything, it takes time. Enforce the rules now, and don't give in. By letting her out to cuddle with you on the couch, your are teaching her that this is the proper thing to do. You will be stuck doing this for years if you don't stop it now. Crate her, deal with the whines, and she will learn how to behave.
Back to top Go down
bballbabe1855
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: 9 week puppy won't go back to sleep in crate during the night   Puppy - 9 week puppy won't go back to sleep in crate during the night EmptyWed Jan 03, 2018 1:58 pm

How long do I let her cry for? People told me to ignore it and she should stop after 20 mins but she doesn't. She can go 40 mins to an hour with whining and gets louder and louder.

Also, she is almost 10 weeks old so we have had her for almost for 2 weeks.
Back to top Go down
kelc
Newborn
Newborn
kelc

Female Join date : 2018-01-07

PostSubject: Re: 9 week puppy won't go back to sleep in crate during the night   Puppy - 9 week puppy won't go back to sleep in crate during the night EmptyWed Jan 24, 2018 6:06 am

bballbabe1855 wrote:
How long do I let her cry for? People told me to ignore it and she should stop after 20 mins but she doesn't. She can go 40 mins to an hour with whining and gets louder and louder.

Also, she is almost 10 weeks old so we have had her for almost for 2 weeks.

I am also wondering this. I have only had puppy for 2 nights, but she is not at all interested in going back in the crate after a potty break at 330 am. She went into the crate okay at bedtime, and stayed in the crate for about 3 hours before needing to go out.
How long do you let them out of the crate for with bathroom breaks, and once you put them in the crate, how long until they usually calm back down?
I live in a Townhome, so I am hoping the neighbors can not hear her sad little whining and howling.
Back to top Go down
PollyR
Puppy
Puppy
PollyR

Female Join date : 2017-02-06

PostSubject: Re: 9 week puppy won't go back to sleep in crate during the night   Puppy - 9 week puppy won't go back to sleep in crate during the night EmptyWed Jan 24, 2018 1:15 pm

We are first time dog owners.  But, we did get Mars at 8 weeks. He just turned 3 in December.  And let me tell you, that first few days was not easy, especially at night.  But what we did was to try and not to let him sleep much in the late afternoon/early evenings, played with him and tried to tire him.  Because if he sleeps all day he won't sleep much at night.  Potty breaks always on a leash (day or night), until he learns the meaning of "potty". And separate play time and potty time.  Potty time would only get "good boy" and no other interaction at night. We would take him out about every 2-3 hours.  At night, he was only out of crate for potty breaks.  And since his crate was by living room, one of us would sleep on sofa, close to him and we would take him out as soon as he would wake up.  The sleeping by him at night probably helped with the crying because he wouldn't cry at night--he did not feel alone (some people place crate next to their beds).   So short answer, only out for potty breaks.  After we learned to tire him, I don't remember him taking too long to settle back down after potty breaks.  One other thing we tried limiting water intake after dinner.  Your puppy's s coloring reminds me so much of ours. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
kelc
Newborn
Newborn
kelc

Female Join date : 2018-01-07

PostSubject: Re: 9 week puppy won't go back to sleep in crate during the night   Puppy - 9 week puppy won't go back to sleep in crate during the night EmptyWed Jan 24, 2018 4:29 pm

Thanks Polly! Aww, Mars is so cute, so I hope my puppy will stay a light grey color! She howled and pawed/bit at the crate for about 15 minutes last night before finally calming down, I staying in the living room with her until she calmed, then went up to bed. I am hoping it gets easier for her as we go.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 9 week puppy won't go back to sleep in crate during the night   Puppy - 9 week puppy won't go back to sleep in crate during the night Empty

Back to top Go down

9 week puppy won't go back to sleep in crate during the night

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1