It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Vision - Story

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
loki_said_smile
Newborn
Newborn

Vision - Story  Empty
PostSubject: Vision - Story    Vision - Story  EmptyMon Jan 08, 2018 4:55 am

Because everything needs a story, here is a back story. Sorry for the length.

Yesterday Loki got free from me. I thought he was still clipped in. He wasn't. Completely my fault. Unfortunately we were right beside a significant edge. Built up with rocks, a good drop. I don't even want to guess its height as my stomach still sinks when I think of it. In any case it was big enough that I doubt I could have jumped down without breaking something. Of course he jumped down pale Shocked I was expecting to find him in all kinds of ways when I reached the edge. Him sitting there wagging his tail at me was not one of them. 24 hours later and he is still perfectly fine. I am not sure my poor heart can take much more of this Neutral It took me ten minutes to find a way down and thankfully he followed me the whole way around from the bottom.

Not off lead dogs does not even begin to describe this breed. No sense of self preservation what so ever.

In any case I have been wondering about his vision for awhile now. He just seems a bit too clumsy, even for a puppy. I have him booked in to get checked just for peace of mind. Anyone had any experience with poor eye sight? I know huskies are known to have issues down the track.

Even just this morning as we were playing he ran into my knee and then again my elbow. Hard enough to have him sit down and no longer want to play.

He used to run into the door frames, small ledges in the garden (he would just run through them not even jumping). I didn't think much of it because as he aged it got less apparent. But I am wondering if he is just learning where everything is.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

Vision - Story  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vision - Story    Vision - Story  EmptyMon Jan 08, 2018 12:01 pm

My female is starting to show some clouding in one eye. She has always been pretty graceful so no bumping into things. She has walked off the edge of the lake before but she didn't realize it was deep.

My mutt has been running into things a lot lately much like yours. To an extent I think it is driven by over excitement. He's just not paying attention. A couple years ago he impaled himself on a metal stake in the yard because he wasn't paying attention to anything but whatever he was chasing. It's the increased fear of noises combined with running into things that has tipped me off to possible eye trouble. I have been giving a bilberry supplement to support eye health but not sure if it has helped anything.

Juvenile cataracts are seen in huskies. They show up before the age of two often. We have some threads on them if you do a search. You can sometimes see those by just looking at the eye. Keep us updated. Since he shows similar issues as my mutt I am curious what they find. I haven't had time to take him in yet.

Teenager
Teenager
Misty Mia Husky

Female Join date : 2017-09-19

Vision - Story  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vision - Story    Vision - Story  EmptyMon Jan 08, 2018 1:15 pm

Aside from the vision, the lack of self-preservation seems to be prevalent among Spitz/Nordic breeds, not just Huskies.  I've lived with individuals from several of these breeds, and not one of them had ANY sense of self-preservation, especially when it came to suddenly being free from a leash (I swear, you can almost hear them yell "WHEEEE!!!" when that happens, and then they promptly run off without any regard for where they're going). Most especially, all self-preservation goes right out the window when there's potential prey involved.  

I've seen a Shiba Inu crash full-speed into metal patio furniture and injure herself trying to chase a bird.  I've seen a Malamute impale himself on the top of a fence trying to get at a raccoon on the other side.  I've seen an American Eskimo Dog crash head-first into the side of a parked car trying to chase a chipmunk that ran underneath.  Just recently, my Husky, Misty, tried to leap across a flooded, rushing stream while she was running loose.  She didn't make it across, and we had to haul her out of the water.  Not pretty -- and in every single case the dog didn't seem to realize what had happened until the discomfort set in. (It wasn't until after the bird flew away that the Shiba Inu literally sat down and CRIED LOUDLY when she realized she was hurt.)  

Not one of those dogs had/has any eye issues, at least at the time.  The Malamute did develop detached retinas when he was older, but he didn't seem to care about his diminished eyesight.  He was already a bull in a china shop, and he remained so.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

Vision - Story  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vision - Story    Vision - Story  EmptyMon Jan 08, 2018 9:50 pm

Faye's post makes a lot of sense. I never thought of it in those terms before. I never had problems with Kohdi running into stuff when he's in a state of...excitement/freedom, but Mishka, yes, several times. She has ruined three sliding screen doors and also crashed into a closed patio door, which doesn't sound out of the realm of possibilities except that the shade was down so the glass wasn't exactly clear, also countless times when she was younger, when being chased by Kohdi, landing partially in the pool because she misjudged the edge, once so bad I was scared to death she had broken her leg. All these instances were in states of excitement (being chased by Kohdi)

Fortunately Loki is still a "flexible" puppy, I swear they can survive the most extreme accidents and bounce back like nothing happened! Please keep us updated on his eye tests, I really hope it's nothing more than just a puppy being a puppy.

Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

Vision - Story  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vision - Story    Vision - Story  EmptyWed Jan 10, 2018 6:15 pm

My husky before Bodhi ran into a parked car!
It was right at the start of a run.
She was super excited.
She looked back over his shoulder at me and BAM!
She yelped for a minute and then was OK.
Back to top Go down
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

Female Join date : 2013-03-29

Vision - Story  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vision - Story    Vision - Story  EmptyWed Jan 10, 2018 6:31 pm

It's like having a teenager.

I don't know about you, but as a teen (into my early 20s) I thought I was invincible. Small town, nothing to do.... what did we do for entertainment? Drive on gravel roads, fast, drinking... exploring abandoned homes in the country. When I look back on these times I am still not sure how I lived.

I was always adventurous as a teenager; a bit of a rebel; always pushing boundaries. In my experience sibes are like this. Shaqua didn't calm until she reached her senior years.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Vision - Story  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vision - Story    Vision - Story  Empty

Back to top Go down

Vision - Story

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1