It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Anybody trim your husky's nails?!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
R_shepsky
Puppy
Puppy
R_shepsky

Husky - Anybody trim your husky's nails?!  Empty
PostSubject: Anybody trim your husky's nails?!    Husky - Anybody trim your husky's nails?!  EmptyMon Jan 15, 2018 7:15 pm

Our dog (rescue) has some kind of history with nail trims...

First we asked the groomer at Petco - he said that he had to stop after one nail because Rumo kept barking at him. Then when Rumo was boarded over Christmas, we asked them to try (they offer nail trims and bathing) and they also said they couldn't do it. Finally the vet did it, under sedation! But I hate to use drugs/sedation every time!

Rumo gets a lot of walking on asphalt/concrete but his nails do get kind of long and start clacking on the floor and he gets less confident walking around in the house. I'd like to keep his nails at a good length without using sedation...so it's looking like the nail trimmer might have to be ME. Shocked

Does anybody cut their own dog's nails?
I'm feeling pretty anxious about doing it. I don't know how to make sure he keeps his paw still so that I can cut accurately. He tries to jerk his paw away.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Anybody trim your husky's nails?!    Husky - Anybody trim your husky's nails?!  EmptyMon Jan 15, 2018 8:34 pm

Get a pair of nail clippers that have a stop on the back side. This will prevent cutting to short and into the quick.

That's the good news...bad news? I have those, they work fine. But Ami is a royal PIA, and I think I've successfully cut maybe 6 nails in 4.5 years? There is a grinder you can use (also a dremel with attachment) but that still requires puppy to cooperate.

What I do (and my vet confesses, does with her dog) is walk a lot on paved surfaces (she runs) That wears the nails down enough...sort of. Digging also wears them down.

You have my heart felt sympathy. I have 2 that are easy peasy. Then there is Ami...

An afterthought. You could try a muzzle but that won't stop the bucking bronco, catch me if you can thing that Ami has going.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Anybody trim your husky's nails?!    Husky - Anybody trim your husky's nails?!  EmptyMon Jan 15, 2018 9:24 pm

Three dogs:

Avalanche and Sky keep my "driveway" looking like moon craters, I don't worry about trimming their nails.

Sasha: About the only time I've seen her dig seriously was when we'd be on a walk and she wanted to dig up a critter. That's lasts for all of 4-5 minutes and she's bored. She gets her nails clipped at the vets. She's bitten me more than a couple of times and at least at the vets they have a muzzle and a few bodies as needed.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
R_shepsky
Puppy
Puppy
R_shepsky

PostSubject: Re: Anybody trim your husky's nails?!    Husky - Anybody trim your husky's nails?!  EmptyMon Jan 15, 2018 9:53 pm

Ami also sounds like a tough customer!
She sure is beautiful, Rumo would fall in love at first sight.  Smile

Thanks for tip, I'll look for those kind of nail clippers.

And we'll keep logging our miles on pavement/streets. He isn't much of a digger...( although he has managed to bury 2 tennis balls and a squeaky purple dog toy in the backyard, it only takes him a few minutes - so not much effect on nails.)

SIGH My wish is that a magic dog person will turn up...somebody who can trim his nails without getting barked at or growled at...I hope that person does not have to be me...
Back to top Go down
Husky911
Puppy
Puppy
Husky911

Male Join date : 2017-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Anybody trim your husky's nails?!    Husky - Anybody trim your husky's nails?!  EmptyMon Jan 15, 2018 10:30 pm

I've never really had to trim Echo's nails. I think i've done it once his entire life? I think cause we're out so often and we walk on the sidewalk so much it just naturally does it. The vet always asks if I get it professionally done, and I'm like nope. Finally some return in all the taxes I pay to the city =P

Echo does have dew claws though and they get long really fast. For that...+1 on the dremel suggestion amymeme mentioned. I like the dremel because I can cut the nail slowly and it seems more gentle rather than a loud and traumatic clamp. You can also be precise about avoiding the quicks.

My OCD always has me wiping Echo's paws off every single time we come back indoors since he was a puppy so he's used to me man handling his paws all the time. Though, I still typically have to have him in a headlock and grab his foot tight to avoid any injuries. Lots of treats of course. I find the hardest is trying to get him from licking the rotating bit while i'm trimming. Don't want to trim his tongue =/.

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Anybody trim your husky's nails?!    Husky - Anybody trim your husky's nails?!  EmptyMon Jan 15, 2018 11:47 pm

Ami is a he. His name is Hebrew for member of the tribe and pronounced Ahh mee. I'm his "mom" and my name is Amy. Don't feel bad...Al routinely gets it backwards :p
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Anybody trim your husky's nails?!    Husky - Anybody trim your husky's nails?!  EmptyTue Jan 16, 2018 1:14 am

Fortunately, walks through the neighborhood and hikes up the mountain are keeping Kohdi and Mishka's nails short. Kohdi has dew claws though that need to be snipped once in awhile. Luckily it's not that often cuz he's a big baby when it comes to being handled for stuff like nails...and ear drops.
Back to top Go down
PollyR
Puppy
Puppy
PollyR

Female Join date : 2017-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Anybody trim your husky's nails?!    Husky - Anybody trim your husky's nails?!  EmptyTue Jan 16, 2018 1:35 am

I do trim Mars' nails with a dremel when his nails/dew claws get a little too long. Mars doesn't mind his paws being touched so this helps. I have a routine.  I start by making sure he is tired, turn on a fan so it muffles the dremel's noise, grab treats, and have one of my daughters to help.  As he is being fed treats, on one side, I work on the opposite side. it was not easy at first.
Back to top Go down
R_shepsky
Puppy
Puppy
R_shepsky

PostSubject: Re: Anybody trim your husky's nails?!    Husky - Anybody trim your husky's nails?!  EmptyTue Jan 16, 2018 11:48 am

Oops, sorry about Ami's gender! Husky - Anybody trim your husky's nails?!  1625187496 That is a very cool name.

I did look around more online last night and a lot of people were saying that they prefer a dremel...and they do "conditioning" where first they are holding the paws (with treats), and then they turn on the dremel so dog gets used to the noise (and give treats) and finally, touch the dremel to the nail (with treats). They seem to be able to get their dogs relaxed for the nail trim.

Good idea to ask my husband or daughter to help, they can feed treats while I work...

I think the dremel would be a good fresh change, since he already has a bad reaction to nail clippers and people holding nail clippers.

Argh, I will try over the next few weeks...
will post back to this thread if any success!?!
Back to top Go down
Mersea Lopez
Teenager
Teenager
Mersea Lopez

Female Join date : 2017-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Anybody trim your husky's nails?!    Husky - Anybody trim your husky's nails?!  EmptyTue Jan 16, 2018 12:05 pm

I used the dremel, as the breeder did, when Grant first came home, and due to his screaming, I was relieved when he had his shots and could go on trails, concrete, and asphalt thus eliminating the drama for both of us. Ack.

The best advice I received from the vet was, if you quit because he sounds like he's dying, you're rewarding him for yelling when he finds something unpleasant. I forget now what a big baby he used to be.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Anybody trim your husky's nails?!    Husky - Anybody trim your husky's nails?!  EmptyTue Jan 16, 2018 12:22 pm

Kenzi will bite, cry, thrash, growl...pretty much you name it she does it if you are trying to mess with her feet. I use a dremel as well. It has been a god send. I can do them at my own pace and never worry about clipping crooked or too deep. My husband bear hugs her on her side while I sand her nails down. My other two love the dremel. Took a bit to get used to the sound. I would turn it on and just hold it and walk around with it for a while. Then I would walk toward them with it on and hand them treats. Eventually they didn't care anymore.

Puppy
Puppy
R_shepsky

PostSubject: Re: Anybody trim your husky's nails?!    Husky - Anybody trim your husky's nails?!  EmptyTue Jan 16, 2018 1:33 pm

Wow, you guys are brave!
The first time I tried Rumo, he jerked his paw away and issued what sounded like a growl, but he cut it off almost right away... that was enough to scare me away from trying again! I am such a chicken!!

Rumo gets miles of walk/jog on trails, asphalt and sidewalks and that keeps most nails short, but there's one or two claws on outside front paws that got long...he probably isn't putting his feet down evenly? When they get long, he slips more on the floor and, for instance, if I call him to come, he doesn't come trotting, he comes slowly, as if he is walking on ice! After the vet cut his nails short (under sedation), he comes quickly when I call him again...so it was never disobedience, it was that he felt unsteady on the wood floor, which is sad.

So I am determined and will arm myself with a dremel and some tasty treats... Shocked
Back to top Go down
Misty Mia Husky
Teenager
Teenager
Misty Mia Husky

Female Join date : 2017-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Anybody trim your husky's nails?!    Husky - Anybody trim your husky's nails?!  EmptyWed Jan 17, 2018 1:09 pm

I've been lucky in that my dogs have never given me serious grief over trimming their nails, though I think they put up with it only because I tend to out-stubborn them ("Don't even THINK about it, Fuzzy!"). That, and I let them get used to seeing and smelling the trimmers first, and I pretend to use them on my own nails so the dogs get the idea.

I do use guillotine clippers just because I'm used to them.  I grew up having to trim BIRD toenails, so I learned how to avoid hitting the quick, even very long quicks -- but I do keep plenty of styptic powder on hand just in case.  Compared to trimming the nails on a grumpy old Conure, trimming dog nails is a cinch.

That, and I let the dog choose the position. Some dogs insist on standing up (my Shiba liked to stand) and others insist on lying down (Misty prefers to lie down).  The lying-down ones are MUCH easier, but the standing ones aren't a big deal. And everyone gets a treat afterwards!  Misty's gotten to the point where she immediately lies down when she sees me get out the trimmers because she can't WAIT to get a treat.

Last edited by Misty Mia Husky on Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
R_shepsky
Puppy
Puppy
R_shepsky

PostSubject: Re: Anybody trim your husky's nails?!    Husky - Anybody trim your husky's nails?!  EmptyWed Jan 17, 2018 1:17 pm

@Misty Mia, this gives me hope!!

Yep, I have trimmed cat nails, guinea pig nails, and Great Dane nails, and never gotten any grief from it. Haven't tried birds, though! Laughing
Rumo is the toughest customer so far! No other animal has ever flinched away and been as upset as he is. My Great Dane just let me grab her paw and clip away (she would occasionally lick my hand). She had black nails too, so that was tricky! Rumo has white nails and I can clearly see the pink quick inside, so it should be easy, right??!
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Anybody trim your husky's nails?!    Husky - Anybody trim your husky's nails?!  EmptyWed Jan 17, 2018 1:22 pm

I clipped a toenail yesterday bounce bounce bounce He had just come in from outside, I dried him off and he was eager to get in the kitchen. And standing up - I was able to lean over and SNIP...

The problem for me is back and knees. THe maneuvering required with Ami elicits all sorts of nerve pain and the up and down and weird angles in fast succession make me dizzy. Rather annoying. But...I got one clipped!!!
Back to top Go down
R_shepsky
Puppy
Puppy
R_shepsky

PostSubject: Re: Anybody trim your husky's nails?!    Husky - Anybody trim your husky's nails?!  EmptyWed Jan 17, 2018 1:29 pm

Impressive!! Woohoo! bounce bounce

This is why we have to buy a groomer's table...ha ha...just kidding! But seriously, it's so much easier for them because they have the dogs higher and secure the head, etc!
Back to top Go down
Misty Mia Husky
Teenager
Teenager
Misty Mia Husky

Female Join date : 2017-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Anybody trim your husky's nails?!    Husky - Anybody trim your husky's nails?!  EmptyWed Jan 17, 2018 1:50 pm

Hey, congrats, Amy! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Anybody trim your husky's nails?!    Husky - Anybody trim your husky's nails?!  EmptyThu Jan 18, 2018 11:27 am

I have always cut my dogs nails. However once Dakota developed arthritis I had to start having the vet do it because he would yelp like he was in pain and I needed more than one other person to help me hold him still. We get it done at the vet when they have to draw his blood and it requires 3-4 people to keep him still, no sedation necessary...just man power.

Newborn
Newborn
GlitzyPandora38

Female Join date : 2017-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Anybody trim your husky's nails?!    Husky - Anybody trim your husky's nails?!  EmptySat Jan 27, 2018 12:53 pm

We have 3 dogs. The lil Yorkie, I have no idea how his nails are kept trim. None of us do it and he isn't necessarily an outside dog but I've never seen them get long. Our mastiff mix is getting pretty old and can't walk as much as he used to so I give him regular trims. I looked up online how to do it and I've never hurt him. And then there's the husky. I'm lucky if I can get 2 nails done in one sitting. She absolutely hates it. She'll bite (not violently but hard enough that I'll have to stop) and roll around and growl. So, I'll usually take the whole day to do it. Just one nail either every hour or every time she takes a nap, lol.
Back to top Go down
R_shepsky
Puppy
Puppy
R_shepsky

PostSubject: Re: Anybody trim your husky's nails?!    Husky - Anybody trim your husky's nails?!  EmptySun Jan 28, 2018 12:51 pm

This is the video that I am going to attempt to replicate with Rumo!

https://drsophiayin.com/videos/entry/training_a_dog_to_enjoy_toenail_trims/

His nails are still short (from the sedated trim at the vet) but I am gearing up to do something like this...
Back to top Go down
Jc68
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Anybody trim your husky's nails?!    Husky - Anybody trim your husky's nails?!  EmptyFri Feb 23, 2018 12:42 am

This goes for all dogs, you must rub their paws a lot, every time you are rubbing their ears, also take and hold their paw, play with em, grab a paw, get them used to you touching their paws, if you don't, they will never allow you to cut their nails, also I learned that when cutting nails, pet them, coo them and most importantly place a dish towel over their eyes, just lay in over their head, not the nose, just enough for the eyes and you'll be done in a few minutes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anybody trim your husky's nails?!    Husky - Anybody trim your husky's nails?!  Empty

Back to top Go down

Anybody trim your husky's nails?!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1