It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Advice needed on unknown condition

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
CoffeeK8
Adult
Adult
CoffeeK8

Female Join date : 2010-10-28

Advice needed on unknown condition - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice needed on unknown condition   Advice needed on unknown condition - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 6:49 pm

It's just so nice knowing that there are other understanding pet people out there who really do just *GET* it and understand why I'm so upset. My Dad and I come to blows on sooooo many things (politics, religion, how he thinks I'm effing up my life), that I hate to say it, but I'm just sort of used to this behavior from him. It really does make me sad though that his dogs are the ones who suffer most.

Oh, I also included about a week's worth of good high quality food and a coupon to make it more affordable in the care package, with the rationale that better food = stronger immune system, which would mean fewer meds they'd have to use to treat the infestation. I think I just have to pick my battles and do what I can to make the most impact where I can. In the past, that's meant kidnapping my sisters and the husky to go hiking, inviting them all over for dinner and a doggle play date, getting them out of the house and to events where they can see happy, healthy huskies and realize that they might be doing something wrong, etc... I refuse to believe it's all been an exercise in futility.
Back to top Go down
CoffeeK8
Adult
Adult
CoffeeK8

Female Join date : 2010-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed on unknown condition   Advice needed on unknown condition - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 6:52 pm

cmanding wrote:
I'm so mad, I'm almost in tears....literally. Crying or Very sad

I've been trying to turn that anger into action, by volunteering with the rescue, and soon with DDFL. It makes me feel better to know that at the end of the day, I was able to do at least *one* thing to make things a little better for the animals in my world.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed on unknown condition   Advice needed on unknown condition - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 8:27 pm

Thanks for all the support ladies. You guys have no idea how much it means! Kate, I am so sorry you have to deal with a family member like that. Sounds even worse than my in-laws. Neutral

CoffeeK8 wrote:
I've been trying to turn that anger into action, by volunteering with the rescue, and soon with DDFL. It makes me feel better to know that at the end of the day, I was able to do at least *one* thing to make things a little better for the animals in my world.

That is so awesome, Kate! Good for you going out there and trying make a difference. Btw, what's "DDFL"?

I too would like to start volunteering at my local shelter but for the time being hubby wants me to stay at home. With that in mind I really want to get into fostering. It would be so great to improve one life at a time and be able to counter all the negative that surrounds us.

Adult
Adult
Dee&Frankie

Female Join date : 2011-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed on unknown condition   Advice needed on unknown condition - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 9:00 pm

So sorry guys. i guess we all really do know people like, but it must be hard when it's family. I hope things get better for the doggies sake.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed on unknown condition   Advice needed on unknown condition - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 9:53 pm

DDFL = Denver Dumb Friends League, our local animal shelter.

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed on unknown condition   Advice needed on unknown condition - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 10:34 pm

I say you both steal the dogs and keep them!!!!!!!!!!! GRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed on unknown condition   Advice needed on unknown condition - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 10:47 pm

LOL Melissa! Laughing You're too funny.

Definitely cannot take on 3 more dogs! Razz

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed on unknown condition   Advice needed on unknown condition - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 8:23 pm

My MIL actually called me to update after leaving the vets office this afternoon. She stopped by to pick up the bloodwork results and got some "medication" for her liver.

Turns out there was a lack of communication. Her affected chi has a cyst on the abdomen AND a tumor in her mouth near her teeth that needs to be surgically removed. My MIL indicated that she will have the tumor in the dogs mouth surgically removed when the vet feels that it would be safe to do so. Thank goodness! *sigh of relief*

She is going to scan and email me the bloodwork results so that I can see them myself. But the major thing that was pointed out was that the dogs liver enzymes were high and the vet sent her home with Rx Vitamins Liquid Hepato for her liver. The vet wants her on that for a while and then wants to test her again in several weeks I believe to see if the Hepato is having an effect.

Now I'm just waiting for the email with information from her. She said she's going to send it to me tonight.

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed on unknown condition   Advice needed on unknown condition - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 9:05 pm

Okay I received a copy of the bloodwork results. Sometimes I wish they would put these things in laymans terms. Can anyone help us figure out what these results mean or could indicate?

Results:

Advice needed on unknown condition - Page 2 Bloodworkglory_Page_1

Advice needed on unknown condition - Page 2 Bloodworkglory_Page_2

I've also posted the results on another forum for more exposure. Hopefully someone can help us decipher this stuff. Otherwise I'll have my work cut out for me. I know there's a site that I used last time but I don't have time to go through it at the moment.

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed on unknown condition   Advice needed on unknown condition - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 9:07 pm

She also wanted me to ask if her giving Advantage flea treatment to her dog on Friday, April 1st, could have any effect on the results or her liver enzymes. I wouldn't think so but just wanted to verify.

Puppy
Puppy
Rhet

Male Join date : 2011-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed on unknown condition   Advice needed on unknown condition - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 10:12 am

Advantage wouldn't effect the liver enzymes unless there was an allergic reaction, and generally if a dog has an allergic reaction to a product like advantage it results in anaphylactic shock. If there was a lesser allergic reaction the eosinophils would be very high at the time, and probably still elevated or at least present. Sometimes the liver enzymes can be elevated if the dog has eaten within 8 hours of the blood test (at least for the ALT, not 100% sure on the GGTP). The monocytes and platelets imply there is an infection of some sort. I'd ask the vet if they think it's possible something she was chewing on may have gotten embedded in her gums, if that's the case it would easily explain the immune system response. The poor pup has probably been eating less because of the pain caused by the tumor near her teeth, and drinking more for the same reason. Not to mention a blood clot at the tumor site could most likely make it's way to the neck or brain and cause a stroke or stroke like episode....

Hope this helps, and hope this all gets sorted out quickly
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed on unknown condition   Advice needed on unknown condition - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 3:43 pm

Thanks for weighing in on this Rob. Smile

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed on unknown condition   Advice needed on unknown condition - Page 2 EmptyTue May 24, 2011 7:21 am

Just a quick update, my mother in law's dog is going back to the vet today for another blood panel to evaluate whether the milk thistle that the vet put her on has helped bring the liver enzymes down. If not, then then we'll see what the vet advises. She should have the results from today's test tomorrow. I will update with results when I hear anything from her. Here's hoping for good news.

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed on unknown condition   Advice needed on unknown condition - Page 2 EmptyWed May 25, 2011 3:07 pm

Another quick update, the vet cancelled my MIL's appt yesterday due to a family emergency. Their appt has been rescheduled for Friday.

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed on unknown condition   Advice needed on unknown condition - Page 2 EmptyWed May 25, 2011 3:49 pm

*UGH*!!
Well, I guess we'll just have to wait....

Newborn
Newborn
avalentine

Female Join date : 2011-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed on unknown condition   Advice needed on unknown condition - Page 2 EmptyWed May 25, 2011 10:35 pm

wow i cant beleive her vet couldnt see her. Never has any vet Ive been to not seen my dog day of when asked! My Hobie got bloat at 12pm on xmas eve (they closed at 12 that day) but stayed open to see him and saved his life all on Christmas! and he had only been there 2 times. Hope all turns out good the best thing so far for me was taking Hobie to a Holistic vet! If he had not been full of dry kibble food I bet he wouldnt have gotten bloat that time. yay for raw!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed on unknown condition   Advice needed on unknown condition - Page 2 EmptyThu May 26, 2011 7:13 am

Yeah her old vet has always been awful but that was just the icing on the cake that pushed her away. She STILL wants to go back there after this ordeal is over with because he's cheap...I guess this is one circumstance where you get what you pay for. I've tried convincing her to switch vets but she doesn't listen...the almighty $$$ is what she sees unfortunately. I don't understand her thinking on that but whatever, she's an adult and she can make her own choices whether I like them or not.

I agree with you though, holistic vets blow most conventional vets out of the water and are usually worth paying more for. Heck, I intend to take my dogs back to their old holistic vet in FL (that's a 6.5 hours drive away) for their annuals next year. Only thing that would make me use a conventional vet locally would be a medical emergency.

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed on unknown condition   Advice needed on unknown condition - Page 2 EmptyThu May 26, 2011 10:54 am

I'm so happy I was told about holistic vets from the forum!

Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed on unknown condition   Advice needed on unknown condition - Page 2 EmptyThu May 26, 2011 12:24 pm

and im happy Claudia checked the vet out first and gave her rave reviews so we started going! that and she is a husky lover Smile

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed on unknown condition   Advice needed on unknown condition - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Okay, I don't have the bloodwork paperwork yet but my MIL at least got a call from the vet telling her the results.

I have particularly been interested in the bloodwork results this time around because I came up with a homecooked meal plan for my MIL to make and follow for her dogs. So with that said these results will tell us if the meal plan I worked up for her is working well or not.

So the short information is that all her levels look normal and her liver enzymes have dropped to within the normal range. Once I get a copy of her bloodpanel paperwork I will have a nurse look over them for me for her advice and interpretation.

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed on unknown condition   Advice needed on unknown condition - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 5:39 am

Forgot to update this after having a nurse friend of mine look at the bloodwork results. She tells me that all the levels look fine and explained the couple things that came out a little high. Overall she says she would not worry about it and that she considers the results to be good news. Yay for that!

Now my MIL is waiting to hear back from the vet on pricing for the surgery to remove her chihuahua's mammary tumor so that they can be prepared financially and figure out a date to schedule surgery.

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed on unknown condition   Advice needed on unknown condition - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 10:10 am

Yay for good results on the bloodwork!

Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed on unknown condition   Advice needed on unknown condition - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 12:13 pm

Val I was thinking about this last night and was gonna ask this morning on a update! Glad to hear the food change helped, good job

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed on unknown condition   Advice needed on unknown condition - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Advice needed on unknown condition

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2