It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Early Cataracts in a young Husky

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Lukathehusky
Newborn
Newborn
Lukathehusky

Female Join date : 2018-02-27

Early Cataracts in a young Husky - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Early Cataracts in a young Husky   Early Cataracts in a young Husky - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 06, 2018 2:50 pm

Yes with dogs they do both eyes at once since a majority of the cost comes from intubation/anesthesia/bloodwork etc which is all cash price. If I did one eye at a time I'd only save $1,000 and would end up having to pay for the other stuff twice totally well over the estimated cost of $5380.

I have befriended a young lady via the internet after I found a video she posted on YouTube of her 1 year old Huskies surgery. She has been amazing at walking me through the process.

So Luka will have both his eyes shaved down, and will wear cone for 3 weeks while he heals. I have taken a week off work to be with him after his recovery so I can make sure he tolerates the cone well. I plan on confiding him to the kitchen once I have to go back to work. I have purchased a Dog video camera in which I can see him, hear him and talk to him through it. It will alert me if there is movement. Its the best money I've spent! Smile

I will absolutely do a detailed update on his experience/ recovery. I will post some photos as well. I want to be here to help anyone who may have to go through this with any dog.
Back to top Go down
Lukathehusky
Newborn
Newborn
Lukathehusky

PostSubject: Re: Early Cataracts in a young Husky   Early Cataracts in a young Husky - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 06, 2018 3:19 pm

This is the video of the young lady who's Husky has gone through bilateral cataract surgery.

I hope this helps. Smile
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Early Cataracts in a young Husky   Early Cataracts in a young Husky - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 07, 2018 11:08 am

Looks like the first couple days are rough but he seemed to bounce back pretty fast and all was worth it in the long run. Just have to steel yourself up for that first little bit. the hair around his eyes came back pretty fast as well which will be nice. Glad you've been able to contact her. Having others who can walk you through what to expect I think really goes a long way to help out your nerves.

Newborn
Newborn
Lukathehusky

PostSubject: Re: Early Cataracts in a young Husky   Early Cataracts in a young Husky - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 07, 2018 1:28 pm

Yeah I think the hardest part is going to feel guilty because he will look at me with those “why did you do this to me mommy?” Eyes. She said it was rough the first few days because Kylo was whining and squinting a lot. I think he will be estatic to have his eyesight back. I’m sad they have to shave the eyes Sad poor baby. I’m gearing myself up to be strong Smile
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Early Cataracts in a young Husky   Early Cataracts in a young Husky - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 08, 2018 9:51 am

There's a husky from the Empire State Snow Dog club that recently had the surgery. They've been posting pictures of him and it is really heart warming to see him enjoy having sight again...seeing squirrels, running around with confidence, not bumping into things.
Back to top Go down
Lukathehusky
Newborn
Newborn
Lukathehusky

PostSubject: Re: Early Cataracts in a young Husky   Early Cataracts in a young Husky - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 26, 2018 2:05 pm

Do you know where I can find these photos??? Smile
Back to top Go down
Lukathehusky
Newborn
Newborn
Lukathehusky

PostSubject: Re: Early Cataracts in a young Husky   Early Cataracts in a young Husky - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 26, 2018 2:06 pm

I just dropped Luka off this morning for his Bilateral cataract surgery. Praying that all goes well for my little fluff ball SmileSmile
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Early Cataracts in a young Husky   Early Cataracts in a young Husky - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 26, 2018 4:30 pm

Lukathehusky wrote:
Do you know where I can find these photos??? Smile

Join the empire State snow dog group on Facebook

Dog is Yuri.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/398026173694142?view=permalink&id=1055688427927910
Back to top Go down
Lukathehusky
Newborn
Newborn
Lukathehusky

PostSubject: Re: Early Cataracts in a young Husky   Early Cataracts in a young Husky - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 26, 2018 9:02 pm

*UPDATE* Luka’s cataract surgery was NOT 100% successful there were some complications but I’m going to try to explain it as simple as I can

The right eye surgery went beautiful- no issues.

The cataract in his left eye was much more dense making surgical removal more difficult. Luka experienced Iris prolapse during surgery- meaning the iris (colored part of the eye) came out of Luka’s incision. She was able to fix this but the capsule that is supposed to hold the lens implant in place tore. Since it tore she was unable to place the lens implant into Luka’s left eye causing him to be Aphakic. Luka has lost his ability to accommodate near vision. He may struggle with depth perception. Also there is some fluid draining into the anterior(front) part of his eye because of this tear and the pressure inside his left eye is 40 (normal being 10-24) putting him at risk for Glaucoma or detached retinas.

Luka is on 5 different eye drops 4 times a day.
We go back tomorrow and if the pressure in his left eye is not down she is going to do an anterior chamber tap to release the fluid and lower the pressure.

Dr Steele is hopeful the ocular hypertension will resolve over the next few days but he is not out of the woods yet. Main thing is to keep his eye pressure down.

Dogs struggle with post operative inflammation WORSE then humans- resulting in having to be on an anti inflammatory eye drop FOR LIFE.

Over time Luka’s right eye will accommodate for what the left eye cannot. So overall this is GREAT news.

With all that said- THANK YOU to all who have prayed for Luka, donated towards his surgery and have been there for me.

More updates to come.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Early Cataracts in a young Husky   Early Cataracts in a young Husky - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 26, 2018 9:54 pm

I'm not sure whether I should be glad that he's going to have good vision in one eye or sad that it didn't go completely well so he'd have good vision in both eyes ...since I've also had cataracts removed from both eyes, I have to wonder how *I'd* feel if it were me.

Eye drops for life? Now I'm really glad that's not me, I had enough trouble with the eye drops for a couple of weeks!!

It is good to hear that he'll at least have partial good vision, that's better than running into things and, as you say, he'll adjust. He'll still be able to see shadows with his left eye, yes?? Even that's better than nothing!!

I wish things had gone better, @Aimee, and do have to thank you for the follow ups (which will continue, right?) so that others will have the wisdom of your experience.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Lukathehusky
Newborn
Newborn
Lukathehusky

PostSubject: Re: Early Cataracts in a young Husky   Early Cataracts in a young Husky - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 26, 2018 10:19 pm

Yes so he has no near vision in his left eye- the Dr thinks he can see some distance but it’ll take some adjusting to with his depth perception. I’m worried about the eye pressure. But regardless his vision in his left eye is better than it was with the cataract so there’s the silver lining.

Yes follow ups will continue I’ll try to get some photos but he’s sleeping right now so I’m going to let him rest. Main thing is he is alive and healthy - so truthfully I couldn’t ask for anything more.

Thank you for the response- I wish things had gone better too.
Back to top Go down
Lukathehusky
Newborn
Newborn
Lukathehusky

PostSubject: Re: Early Cataracts in a young Husky   Early Cataracts in a young Husky - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 27, 2018 2:40 pm

Just got back from Luka’s 1 day post op. Pressure is both eyes is now 11 with reduced inflammation. Over the moon with the news. Dr Steele wants to keep Luka on his eye drop regimen and recheck in - week. She said she is happy with his 1 day P.O. results. Lots of scary stuff to watch out over the next few weeks and the e-collar is a nightmare in a small condo. I took Luka for a pupaccino from Starbucks and he is now resting.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Early Cataracts in a young Husky   Early Cataracts in a young Husky - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 27, 2018 4:57 pm

On first day that's good to hear!! From here on out, things can't do anything but get better, right? << knock on wood! >>

I'm curious, how are you going to be able to keep him 'down' during the recovery period??

Back to top Go down
Lukathehusky
Newborn
Newborn
Lukathehusky

PostSubject: Re: Early Cataracts in a young Husky   Early Cataracts in a young Husky - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 27, 2018 5:29 pm

Well he has an e-collar on - he doesn’t like to move around with it too much. I took a week off to hopefully be able to get him through the most critical part of the healing process. It’s breaking my heart having to give him all these eye drops though. He turns his head away from me now. I feel like he hates me. Crying or Very sad if worse comes to worse when I have to go back to work I may just take him with me and set up his kennel. I’m not sure.
Back to top Go down
Lukathehusky
Newborn
Newborn
Lukathehusky

PostSubject: Re: Early Cataracts in a young Husky   Early Cataracts in a young Husky - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 03, 2018 4:21 pm

Luka had his 1 week PO this morning- things are going well. His eye pressure were 8 and 9. Smile She said he has some inflammation in his left eye, which is to be suspected because of the difficulty removing that cataract. Dr. Steele said she would put him in the top 10% for how well he is doing. She is decreasing his eye medications to 3x a day instead of 4. We go back for a pressure check next Tuesday and his final PO will be on 8/17/18- then hopefully he can be out of his e-collar. So far this is good news. Luka can definitely see again- he is following my movements when I hold a ball, and he is trying to chase ducks. A butterfly flew by him the other day and he followed it around. This makes my heart happy. :
Back to top Go down
dvflyer
Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: Early Cataracts in a young Husky   Early Cataracts in a young Husky - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 03, 2018 11:59 pm

Lukathehusky wrote:
A butterfly flew by him the other day and he followed it around. This makes my heart happy. :

I imagine that is a special feeling to watch him see like that again.

Best wishes.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Early Cataracts in a young Husky   Early Cataracts in a young Husky - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 04, 2018 5:04 pm

Great news! I'm just glad he allows you to put the eye drops in. I had to put eye drops in my son's dog and it was impossible. I think out of the whole 5 days, 3x daily, he got maybe 3 doses Sad Must be heartwarming to watch him act on seeing things again I love you
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Early Cataracts in a young Husky   Early Cataracts in a young Husky - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 07, 2018 6:18 pm

Aime sent me this picture earlier today,  figured I'd drop it onto the forum ...

Early Cataracts in a young Husky - Page 2 Luka10

It's amazing how different and how much better his eyes look after surgery.

@lukathehusky -- aimee, I have to ask, since it's really hard to see with the brown eye, how's his vision there after the difficulties in surgery??

Back to top Go down
Lukathehusky
Newborn
Newborn
Lukathehusky

PostSubject: Re: Early Cataracts in a young Husky   Early Cataracts in a young Husky - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 07, 2018 8:49 pm

Thank you @aljones so much for posting the photo for me! SmileSmile I haven't been able to get to an actual computer until today.

I cannot believe how clear his eyes are- even though the Blue eye cataract (right eye) doesn't look as bad My Ophthalmologist said Luka's vision was still like seeing through "Soup"

His vision is so amazing now you guys! My heart is so full- He can most definitely see without issues. He is chasing flies, bugs, cats (lol- every morning I walk him to see if the neighborhood cat is across the street and he sits there and waits for him) 1.5 more weeks with this cone.

Eye drops are reduced now to 3 times a day. He is being so well behaved with his cone.

Outlook is good.
Back to top Go down
Lukathehusky
Newborn
Newborn
Lukathehusky

PostSubject: Re: Early Cataracts in a young Husky   Early Cataracts in a young Husky - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 17, 2018 1:44 pm

Happy Friday everyone! Just wanted to let you know Luka had his 1 month post op appointment today. Things went perfectly! He is now out of his e-collar and can swim and return to normal duties. Only thing to be cautious of is him thrashing his toys violently. Which he does- so maybe no stuffed animals for awhile. I got to eliminate the antibiotic drops and one of the Glaucoma drops. We go back in another week for an eye pressure check then again in a month for his final.

I am so so so happy- I dropped Luka off at daycare this morning so he could play and get some MUCH NEEDED energy out.

My heart could burst SmileSmileSmile
Back to top Go down
dvflyer
Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: Early Cataracts in a young Husky   Early Cataracts in a young Husky - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 17, 2018 4:32 pm

Great news!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Early Cataracts in a young Husky   Early Cataracts in a young Husky - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Early Cataracts in a young Husky

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2