It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Frogs/Toads & Grass!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

Frogs/Toads & Grass! Empty
PostSubject: Frogs/Toads & Grass!   Frogs/Toads & Grass! EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 10:33 am

One of my main worries has always been that my dogs get a hold of a frog/toad. They go after anything moving in the yard and eat EVERYTHING! I went to Home Depot to check if there was anything that we could spray the yard with to prevent them, but nothing. I had never actually seen one in the yard until last night that I saw tiny baby frog. Tiny baby frog=a mom and lots of other baby frogs Mad It's officially South Florida rainy season which means more of them!

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Another thing is that they have a grass eating issue. Kody more of course, but they both do! It's like i'm constantly running after them telling them not to eat the grass. I mean every 2 minutes that they're in the yard.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Frogs/Toads & Grass!   Frogs/Toads & Grass! EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 1:07 pm

There is only one toad in FL that is toxic to dogs I believe. It's the Marine toad, or also known as Cane toad, Bufo toad, or Giant toad. That's pretty much your only worry in FL but even so much a licking said toad can cause a reaction in dogs. Frogs are not a problem, toads are.

You'd be hard pressed to keep toads and frogs out of your yard, they are literally everywhere. But cutting back on their food source (i.e. controlling the insect population) in your yard can help keep populations down a bit.

As for the dogs going after them, it's totally expected. My sibe chases them and pounces on them all the time...almost always killing them. *sigh* But he seems to know not to eat them. One time a toad sprayed him in the face and he did not learn his lesson because he still plays with them. When your dogs chase them, do they actually mouth or try to eat them or do they just play with them?

Regarding the grass eating, also perfectly fine and normal. You will probably notice that they eat more grass in spring than any other season. There's a good reason for it too, the fresh new growth in the spring is a lot sweeter than older established grass. That sweeter grass means the dogs are more likely to start grazing on it which is perfectly fine. It won't harm them as long as their are no chemical products in the grass which could poison them. The grass will just pass right through and come out the opposite end looking the same as it went in. lol My boy has increased his grass eating over the past few weeks as well due to the new growth. I wouldn't be too concerned.

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Frogs/Toads & Grass!   Frogs/Toads & Grass! EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 5:13 pm

Thanks! You're right about the increase in grass eating over the past 2 weeks. It's like the entire time they're in the yard they're eating grass. They don't even want to play with me =( They literally pull it out from the root and fight over it..lol. They've also made it a habit to pull these berry/pepper looking seeds from the tree that comes over our fence from the neighbors yard. I've tried yanking as many off as possible, but there are so many =\

I haven't seen a big toad in the yard yet. Just the little baby frog that I saw yesterday and Kody was trying to catch it until I grabbed him. I'm hoping that if they do get a hold of one that they won't try to eat it! Kody had a lizard in his mouth the other day with it's tail tangling out...ewww! lol
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Frogs/Toads & Grass!   Frogs/Toads & Grass! EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 7:37 pm

I think I have a thread somewhere here on this! Sierra is a toad hunter. She spots them a mile away and as much as we try to keep her from getting them on ours walks she still does. Then she gets the bad Taste in her mouth spits them out and starts the foaming in the mouth its so gross. We have a pond in our neighborhood so one side of our walk is worse then the other.she has not learned her lesson yet.

Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Frogs/Toads & Grass!   Frogs/Toads & Grass! EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 10:46 pm

Siku found her first toad this evening! She licked it a few times and then started trying to roll on it. I didn't know what she was looking at at first. I moved the toad out of the yard and sprayed her mouth out with the hose.

Dunno what you can do to keep the toads away.

Frogs/Toads & Grass! Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Frogs/Toads & Grass!   Frogs/Toads & Grass! EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 1:42 pm

Omg Jen she foams at the mouth? How scary! Do you you wash her mouth out like Sara did to Siku? At least she drops it!

I've heard of so many dogs getting poisoned by the toads =( Totally freaks me out!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
SiberianHuskySibhee
Puppy
Puppy

Female Join date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Frogs/Toads & Grass!   Frogs/Toads & Grass! EmptySat May 07, 2011 5:08 am

How do you know if the frog is toxic to dogs? I live in a place full of different kinds of frogs. I also have that problem, my dog would bite a frog and would hold on to it then throw it in the air.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Frogs/Toads & Grass!   Frogs/Toads & Grass! EmptySat May 07, 2011 4:14 pm

Most frogs are not toxic with the exception of a few exotics that you're not very likely to run into. Toads are the ones that are more likely to be toxic but not all are. You'd have to know what kind of toad you're running into really. We have toads all over our neighborhood and our Dakota plays with them all the time and he's never had a problem. For safety sake, if you are concerned, I would keep a close eye on Sibhee and intervene if he starts playing with it. If it hasn't been a problem before then I wouldn't start worrying about it now.

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Frogs/Toads & Grass!   Frogs/Toads & Grass! EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 8:59 pm

Ok, I have no idea what to do anymore in order to stop Kody from eating grass/branches/leaves from the yard. It's CONSTANT! He doesn't even attempt to play with Mya while he's outside because he's too buy eating everything! No wonder he has fungus on his nose! I'm very frustrated wit this and don't know what to do anymore. I even tried following him around the entire yard spraying bitter suck on every inch of grass that he started eating.

IT'S NONE STOP!!!!!!! Frogs/Toads & Grass! 85993
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Frogs/Toads & Grass!   Frogs/Toads & Grass! EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 9:07 pm

I think Kody needs to meet Sierra and the 2 of them can hunt for food together! she is good in the back yard but we don't have grass, now walking is another story and im always pulling her from something that she is eating, i have no idea what she had gotten down before i could stop her!
i also have no idea how to stop it Sad sorry

im dreading Toad season as im sure they will be hoping around soon enough on our walks!

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Frogs/Toads & Grass!   Frogs/Toads & Grass! EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 9:13 pm

Oh Jenn, walks are a mission all on their own! Kody eats EVERYTHING just like Sierra. That's another reason why I've given up walking them together. With both of them I can't use both hand to try and pry his mouth open Mad

Ahhh, I'm going to cry as far as the grass eating! It's so frustrating! Toads should be showing up here too. I know that the roaches are out in full effect and I'm terrified of them! In the past week I've seen 4 in the house! Which means me screaming at Ivan like crazy to come kill it or Kody grabbing it to play..ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Frogs/Toads & Grass!   Frogs/Toads & Grass! EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 9:15 pm

MelissaI wrote:
Ok, I have no idea what to do anymore in order to stop Kody from eating grass/branches/leaves from the yard. It's CONSTANT! He doesn't even attempt to play with Mya while he's outside because he's too buy eating everything! No wonder he has fungus on his nose! I'm very frustrated wit this and don't know what to do anymore. I even tried following him around the entire yard spraying bitter suck on every inch of grass that he started eating.

IT'S NONE STOP!!!!!!! Frogs/Toads & Grass! 85993

Willow is the same. She will pick up something but hold it in her mouth until I bring her inside so that atleast gives me a chance to pry it out of her mouth before she eats it. I have no clue how to stop it either.
Back to top Go down
Dee&Frankie
Adult
Adult
Dee&Frankie

Female Join date : 2011-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Frogs/Toads & Grass!   Frogs/Toads & Grass! EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 11:11 pm

When left unattended, Frankie will eat anything and everything (including his poop). What I found helpful was training the leave it and drop it commands.........it was a long process, but he will leave/drop it 95% of the time now when I tell him (sometimes he needs to sneak in one more bite of grass Wink
But if I'm not there he feels it's a free for all so he really doesn't like when I go out back with him, lol.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Frogs/Toads & Grass!   Frogs/Toads & Grass! EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 10:24 am

Leave it and drop it only work on paper none food items sierra pick up, if its a food find game on with will she eat it or do I get it out first! I have stoped letting her linger and sniff, I know if its a potty sniff or I think I smell something good shiff!
Dang dogs!

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Frogs/Toads & Grass!   Frogs/Toads & Grass! EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 10:31 am

I need to do some serious leave it/drop it training with Kody!!! He seriously like doesn't get it. I must be doing something wrong Sad
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Frogs/Toads & Grass!   Frogs/Toads & Grass! EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 10:43 am

Don't worry Melissa we all go through it! My boy eats anything he can get his mouth on too. I did leave it training and that ultimately ended up creating a husky that would seek out trash for the sole purpose of picking it up and dropping it so he would get a reward. LOL That one backfired on me and to this day it's nonstop eating anything he can grab. I chalk it up as a part of husky ownership. Razz

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Frogs/Toads & Grass!   Frogs/Toads & Grass! EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 10:48 am

Huskyluv wrote:
Don't worry Melissa we all go through it! My boy eats anything he can get his mouth on too. I did leave it training and that ultimately ended up creating a husky that would seek out trash for the sole purpose of picking it up and dropping it so he would get a reward. LOL That one backfired on me and to this day it's nonstop eating anything he can grab. I chalk it up as a part of husky ownership. Razz

lol! Omg, Dakota is so smart!!! That is hilarious! I can't believe he did that..LOL!!!

I agree that it's part of husky ownership. Mya picks up anything that she can get her mouth onto on walks also. Kody is obsessed with eating grass,branches, and leaves in the yard. Like seriously if we're outside for 30 minutes...25 of those minutes are spent eating one (or all) of the above. His poop always has pieces of branches in it. That can't be good!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Frogs/Toads & Grass!   Frogs/Toads & Grass! EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 11:06 am

That's part of the reason I am constantly removing any sticks and the like that fall into our yard. If I don't then Dakota will chew/eat it. I used to let him chew that stuff until someone told me not to because they said it could cut the inside of their mouth or worse cut their insides like the esophagus, stomach, intestines, etc. I've never heard of that actually happening but since that person said that I try to keep sticks and branches out of my yard as best I can. Does he ignore you if you try to get him to play with you in the yard? That works with my boy, if he starts doing something he shouldn't I'll get his attention and start playing with him so he's focused on me and playing instead of chewing things he shouldn't.

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Frogs/Toads & Grass!   Frogs/Toads & Grass! EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 1:12 pm

Nope, doesn't want to play at all when he's in grass/branch mode..lol. If I ask him if he wants a treat he'll run in the house, but I can't be doing that every 10 seconds lol!
Back to top Go down
Dee&Frankie
Adult
Adult
Dee&Frankie

Female Join date : 2011-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Frogs/Toads & Grass!   Frogs/Toads & Grass! EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 6:30 pm

Huskyluv wrote:

lol! That is too funny. They are way too smart. One of the many "blessings" of husky ownership.

It is actually easier for me to redirect Frankie when outside than it is when there is a carpet around. Today I took Frankie to the nursing home and in every room with carpet he had his nose shoved so far into it that he almost looks like a pug. He scrounges hoping to find any little crumb. The residents think it's funny, but me not so much.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Frogs/Toads & Grass!   Frogs/Toads & Grass! Empty

Back to top Go down

Frogs/Toads & Grass!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1