It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

shy puppy or not????

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kitten:D
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2018-03-07

Puppy - shy puppy or not???? Empty
PostSubject: shy puppy or not????   Puppy - shy puppy or not???? EmptyWed Mar 07, 2018 4:56 pm

Hi! I'm Kitten. I'm new. Anyways, my purebred Siberian Husky female puppy aged six months. Is sometimes shy of people she doesn't know petting her head. No aggression just backs off slightly. She has improved dramatically after she reached around five months and after her spay has gotten very social and not so skitterish. She has let a kid pet her head and lots of adults she has met. She always allows them to pet under her chin. Rarely she will dance around me n act playfully idk if playful or if shyness? Anyways I read in the AKC puppies from 4-6 months go through an Avoidance "shy" period to strangers. So is it possible when she grows up she could be a very social dog? She even stayed friendly with a vet tech who took her temp which is the one thing she wouldn't let me do easily she letted her pet her head and licked her when she came back (she is very docile dog still lets us flip her on her back and much more breeder had her kids and family hold the puppies in every way possible) She went through a phase of shyness after 16 weeks with dogs at the dog park. She would get scared if they came close and had her tail down. Then one day flipped a switch and is the MOST social dog there. she loves all dogs and even walks by fine without any reactivity and will greet politely on a leash if I am talking to someone. She is going to a class that's 4 classes of 8 weeks. Beginner, notice, advanced, open and utility. Anyways any advice is helpful and if possible she is on the right track to being "normal"
Back to top Go down
Husky911
Puppy
Puppy
Husky911

Male Join date : 2017-03-30

PostSubject: Re: shy puppy or not????   Puppy - shy puppy or not???? EmptyWed Mar 07, 2018 5:52 pm

Hi Kitten!

While huskies are known to be a great family dog and generally very well natured around people and children, they're definitely not known to be VERY affectionate or a clingy breed of dog once they're mature. Granted there are definitely exceptions to every rule, but in general huskies are a more independent breed of dog.

I will tell you that my husky Echo HATES getting pet. If he allows it, it's only on his terms. Mostly at night when he's too tired and lazy to tell you off. While NEVER aggressive, echo usually groans, growls, whines or make some howling sound when you try to touch him. He's a running joke at our local park, where everybody tries to make a game out of trying to catch him or touch him just to elicit a verbal husky reaction out of him. We all laugh about it.

I've also never really hugged my husky. Even as a puppy at 8 weeks, HE HATES IT. UNLESS I'm bribing him with a huge plate of raw meat in front of him. Then he'll tolerate it, but not without still groaning the entire time.

So I think your husky is completely normal. Each dog will grow up to cultivate and express a different personality which is what makes husky ownership so unique, exciting and enjoyable. Don't try to change or think it's wrong in any way.

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: shy puppy or not????   Puppy - shy puppy or not???? EmptyWed Mar 07, 2018 7:36 pm

I think its safe to say most dogs do not like being pet on the head. Maybe a scratch to the ears, sideways, but not on top of the head.

My foster and my son's dogs love to be snuggled, ears and bellies rubbed. My boy, well, just before bed he likes a thorough rub/scratch - ears, chest, nick, back of the head. Throw in a belly rub or two, when HE asks and he's a happy camper. The rest of the time? He dances away, just out of reach Razz
Back to top Go down
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: shy puppy or not????   Puppy - shy puppy or not???? EmptyWed Mar 07, 2018 10:31 pm

Husky911 wrote:
Hi Kitten!

While huskies are known to be a great family dog and generally very well natured around people and children, they're definitely not known to be VERY affectionate or a clingy breed of dog once they're mature.  Granted there are definitely exceptions to every rule, but in general huskies are a  more independent breed of dog.

I will tell you that my husky Echo HATES getting pet.  If he allows it, it's only on his terms.  Mostly at night when he's too tired and lazy to tell you off.  While NEVER aggressive, echo usually groans, growls, whines or make some howling sound when you try to touch him.  He's a running joke at our local park, where everybody tries to make a game out of trying to catch him or touch him just to elicit a verbal husky reaction out of him.  We all laugh about it.  

I've also never really hugged my husky.  Even as a puppy at 8 weeks, HE HATES IT.  UNLESS I'm bribing him with a huge plate of raw meat in front of him.  Then he'll tolerate it, but not without still groaning the entire time.  

So I think your husky is completely normal.  Each dog will grow up to cultivate and express a different personality which is what makes husky ownership so unique, exciting and enjoyable.  Don't try to change or think it's wrong in any way.  

Cheers!

Ahh I see. I guess Sienna (my puppy) isnt too bad off then. She lets me hug her. But my older male we got as an adult he will growl if you do it like softly but a stranger it sounds more serious. I am not too concerned with her behavior as she is doing much better and seems to have a lot of interset in them new people. Thank you for your responce!
Back to top Go down
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: shy puppy or not????   Puppy - shy puppy or not???? EmptyWed Mar 07, 2018 10:35 pm

amymeme wrote:
I think its safe to say most dogs do not like being pet on the head.  Maybe a scratch to the ears, sideways, but not on top of the head.

My foster and my son's dogs love to be snuggled, ears and bellies rubbed.  My boy, well, just before bed he likes a thorough rub/scratch - ears, chest, nick, back of the head.  Throw in a belly rub or two, when HE asks and he's a happy camper.  The rest of the time?  He dances away, just out of reach Razz

Its my first puppy (besides a lab mix we had gotten rid when I was 14 due to its hyperness and parents work 12 hour night shifts) and I gotten an older male husky from a family and he loves strangers. Im just worried shed regress or bite someone. Lol thats what Sienna does sometimes she does a little dance like here I danced for you so like bye. Thanks for your responce.
Back to top Go down
KodaBoda123
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: shy puppy or not????   Puppy - shy puppy or not???? EmptyFri Jul 20, 2018 3:22 pm

It's nice to see another puppy owner with a similar situation to mine! Koda is very shy around strangers. Loves our attention at home but when we have company over she cowers if they approach her, yet will play tug of war with them no problem. But still runs if they try to pet her.

I'm glad to see your puppy got a bit better after being fixed. We plan to spay Koda but it worries me because I've read that it can increase a dog's fearfulness.

I just noticed this was posted in March. How is she doing now?
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: shy puppy or not????   Puppy - shy puppy or not???? EmptyFri Jul 20, 2018 7:34 pm

I suppose it's funny that we expect a dog to be affectionate - - so many are (labs, spaniels, etc) but there are lot who aren't (Huskies, Dobies<?>, GSD's, Rotts) but then again it depends, in large part, upon your and the particular dogs personality.

I'm not a particularly outgoing person - in fact I'm a hermit - so I don't find it unusual that, as another has noted, my dogs are housemates not pets.

Unlike @Kitten:D none of mine are shy, they definitely make up for my reluctance to make friends by making a friend of everyone who comes around - but once they get to know who you are, they're back to being conservative (not so outgoing)

In my first sentence I think I can note something - those that we've had for pets for years seem to be more friendly while those we consider working dogs (thinking of a friends pit and anothers border collie) seem to be generally less social.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Shepsky13
Teenager
Teenager
Shepsky13

Male Join date : 2017-11-03

PostSubject: Re: shy puppy or not????   Puppy - shy puppy or not???? EmptySun Jul 29, 2018 1:27 am

Mine is shepherd/husky and he would sometimes actually growl at strangers who pet him on the head! I was worried about it and asked how to train/fix him, but the general attitude with many shepherd owners is, so why do all strangers need to be able to pet your dog? It is not like a public right. You don’t allow strangers free access to your children, for example, so why so different for your dog?

Anyway i now use a “ no pet” policy with strangers while out on walks...at first it felt weird and bad to apologize and tell them that he is not good with strangers...but I am used to it now. I just want everybody to be safe!

I know this is an extreme example, and most huskies are friendlier than my dog, but I just wanted to say that you should not feel that your dog has to accept petting by everybody. It is also ok to say that she doesn’t like being petted on the head...that is what I have to tell friends/visitors. Less stress for dog and humans that way!

Back to top Go down
rileysmom
Newborn
Newborn
rileysmom

PostSubject: Re: shy puppy or not????   Puppy - shy puppy or not???? EmptyMon Jul 30, 2018 2:25 pm

My Riley is just shy of 6 months old and is also wary of strangers petting him on the head, especially men wearing baseball caps. He never, ever growls, but will shy away with his fur standing up.

However, he's wonderful with women and kids, just not men unless they get down to his level and take their hat off. It's good to hear that mine isn't the only one!
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: shy puppy or not????   Puppy - shy puppy or not???? EmptyMon Jul 30, 2018 3:09 pm

I have to agree with @Shepsky13 - while I have one dog who has never met anyone who isn't a friend I have another one who would rather not! Sasha is pretty good about kids who want to touch her but she's not impressed with adults ...

Sky is one who is head shy and while she doesn't snap or anything, she will duck if someone (even me!) reaches for her head but scratch her throat and she'll go belly up in a heartbeat.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: shy puppy or not????   Puppy - shy puppy or not???? Empty

Back to top Go down

shy puppy or not????

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1