It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Max and Mika from San Diego

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
dvflyer
Adult
Adult

Max and Mika from San Diego Empty
PostSubject: Max and Mika from San Diego   Max and Mika from San Diego EmptySat Apr 07, 2018 11:42 am

Hi all,

New member here from San Diego, Ca.  I always look to forums for information on new hobbies, interests etc.  Glad to have found this place.

Thought I would introduce you all to Max and Mika.  Be happy to tell the story of how we got them if anyone is interested.  We were told they are Huskies but feel free to add your input.

Along with our new additions, Max and Mika, our family consists of me and my wife, our two kids- daughter and son (15, 13), Ginger the Australian Shepherd, Mia the housecat, Bella, the adopted cat who protects our yard from gophers and mice etc, and Precious, our Bearded Dragon.  Somehow, we all get along. Smile

Here are Max and Mika during the first few days we got them- around the beginning of March this year.  We think they were about 8 weeks old here.

Max and Mika from San Diego 39872657874_e0d6815156_z

And a more recent picture:

Max and Mika from San Diego 39487156380_c3bd06daea_z
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Max and Mika from San Diego   Max and Mika from San Diego EmptySat Apr 07, 2018 2:29 pm

Awww, they are adorable. Fluffy like my two Smile they do indeed look like Huskies. Brother and sister I'm assuming? Welcome to the forum! I'm in San Diego, CA as well.
Back to top Go down
dvflyer
Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: Max and Mika from San Diego   Max and Mika from San Diego EmptySun Apr 08, 2018 11:03 am

Thanks for the welcome, Jimmy.  Yes, brother and sister.  My wife's dad saw an ad in Craigslist for a mama and 4 babies that needed a home.  He and his wife are forever rescuing animals, so they picked them up.  Once my wife and kids saw them, well, it was over.

Will be fun watching them grow.  Our Aussie is 10 years old so it's been a while since we had a puppy around (much less 2!).  She's starting to have a hard time getting around as quick as she used to, so we give her some alone time, but otherwise they are slowly becoming buddies.

Max and Mika from San Diego 41254064092_f38a033ab5_z
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Max and Mika from San Diego   Max and Mika from San Diego EmptySun Apr 08, 2018 12:48 pm

Is it just me or do they look more malamuty? The ears look shorter and rounded tho me and the eyes also more round rather than almond. And very fluffy. How much do they weigh and how old? The do seem to have a nice stop on their snout which is more husky

No matter...they are absolutely adorable squishy bugs I love you
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Max and Mika from San Diego   Max and Mika from San Diego EmptySun Apr 08, 2018 2:02 pm

I suck at math Amy, but I think they'd be around 13-14 weeks now. They were around 8 weeks at the beginning of March. The pup with the brown eyes has a bit of a Malamute look to him/her, but I've seen that not only in plush litters but especially the wooly litters, as pups. Kohdi even had a bit of that look to him at times. I'd be kinda surprised if they are not full Husky, but I'm also no expert.

@Mike...one of my most memorable experiences with Huskies was when I got two Husky pups (brother and sister) and I had a 14 year old Malamute at home still. My Malamute had just lost his lifelong companion, a Husky, and started going downhill very fast after that. I set out to get one Husky pup, but my mom knew my Malamute wouldn't be around much longer so she got me the sister of the boy I had chosen. Anyways, I swear the pups added years to his life as he ended up living 2 years longer. But the memorable experience is one that left me in awe. Both pups were running around the house like holy terrors, lol, when my Malamute strolled down the hallway. Both pups were coming at him at full speed but came skidding to a stop (tile floors, lol) right in front of him, my Malamute lifted his paw and put it on both their heads, they immediately went down. My Malamute continued his stroll into the kitchen, both pups waited a minute before continuing on their play. It was amazing to see. My girl pup became extremely bonded with him, the boy too but my girl could always be found somewhere near him. I think your two pups and your Aussie will be the best of buds.
Back to top Go down
dvflyer
Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: Max and Mika from San Diego   Max and Mika from San Diego EmptySun Apr 08, 2018 10:07 pm

amymeme wrote:
Is it just me or do they look more malamuty?  The ears look shorter and rounded tho me and the eyes also more round rather than almond.  And very fluffy.  How much do they weigh and how old?  The do seem to have a nice stop on their snout which is more husky

No matter...they are absolutely adorable squishy bugs I love you

Hi Amy-  Thanks. They should really come with a "We're really fluffy!" warning sign. Smile  

Their actual birthdate is an unknown, but somewhere around first/ mid of January.  Last weigh-in (last week), Max was 19lbs.  Mika was 16.5lbs.

I heard Malamutes don't have colored eyes, and Mika, the female, has blue eyes. Question  

Max and Mika from San Diego 40233619244_412d82c842_z

Artic_Wind wrote:
I suck at math Amy, but I think they'd be around 13-14 weeks now. They were around 8 weeks at the beginning of March. The pup with the brown eyes has a bit of a Malamute look to him/her, but I've seen that not only in plush litters but especially the wooly litters, as pups. Kohdi even had a bit of that look to him at times. I'd be kinda surprised if they are not full Husky, but I'm also no expert.

@Mike...one of my most memorable experiences with Huskies was when I got two Husky pups (brother and sister) and I had a 14 year old Malamute at home still. My Malamute had just lost his lifelong companion, a Husky, and started going downhill very fast after that. I set out to get one Husky pup, but my mom knew my Malamute wouldn't be around much longer so she got me the sister of the boy I had chosen. Anyways, I swear the pups added years to his life as he ended up living 2 years longer. But the memorable experience is one that left me in awe. Both pups were running around the house like holy terrors, lol, when my Malamute strolled down the hallway. Both pups were coming at him at full speed but came skidding to a stop (tile floors, lol) right in front of him, my Malamute lifted his paw and put it on both their heads, they immediately went down. My Malamute continued his stroll into the kitchen, both pups waited a minute before continuing on their play. It was amazing to see. My girl pup became extremely bonded with him, the boy too but my girl could always be found somewhere near him. I think your two pups and your Aussie will be the best of buds.

Your math is right on.

Great story!  I immediately thought of the scene in Lord of the Rings, but instead of Gandolf, it was your Malamute saying "You shall not pass!" ha ha.

Ginger is very passive/ submissive, so she doesn't "correct" them like their mama would so they can get a little too rough with her.  But that is where we come in.  i.e. give her some private space etc.  She does seem a bit more upbeat, though.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Max and Mika from San Diego   Max and Mika from San Diego EmptyMon Apr 09, 2018 12:44 am

You are correct. Malamutes have only brown eyes. I missed that in the pictures.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Max and Mika from San Diego   Max and Mika from San Diego EmptyMon Apr 09, 2018 10:56 am

They could still be a mix which would explain the one with blue eyes. I see what you are saying about the ears. Time will tell better as they grow. Regardless, they are very cute. Welcome to the forum. Make sure that you read up on littermate syndrome. There is a lot of work involved in raising two at the the same time. Your aussie isn't the only one that needs time on its own. Gotta make sure that each pup gets individual training and attention as well. Welcome to the forum! Can't wait to see them as they grow.

Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: Max and Mika from San Diego   Max and Mika from San Diego EmptyMon Apr 09, 2018 1:27 pm

Thanks Twister.  I've heard about issues raising two pups.  I'll definitely look up that term (littermate syndrome).
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Max and Mika from San Diego   Max and Mika from San Diego EmptyTue Apr 10, 2018 10:32 pm

While Huskies and Malamutes have different ear shapes, Malamute ears are also larger than a Husky, even as puppies, and I'm not seeing that with your pups at all. Here is my boy Kohdi, at 9 weeks and now. You can see how the ears change with the rest of them as they go from puppy to adult.

Max and Mika from San Diego Image201
Max and Mika from San Diego Image202
Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: Max and Mika from San Diego   Max and Mika from San Diego EmptyWed Apr 18, 2018 4:25 pm

welcome to the forums. they are adorable fur babies.
great story Jimmy, that reminds me of the day we first got Joey we had cats one called Nikki. she was just like your malamute. she would give Joey "the look" and he would stop every thing, hahaha. then continue what he was up to.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Max and Mika from San Diego   Max and Mika from San Diego Empty

Back to top Go down

Max and Mika from San Diego

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1