It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Max and Mika's scrapbook

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
dvflyer
Adult
Adult

Max and Mika's scrapbook - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Max and Mika's scrapbook   Max and Mika's scrapbook - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 22, 2018 9:08 pm

They were beat for sure. Maybe a bit too long for them at this age, but we took it easy. Worst case is I put them in the back of my Civic coupe. Bought one of those seat cover things. Worked great, but definitely too small for both dogs. In a pinch, sure, but next time I take both, we'll be in our Sienna like usual.

I used to live in Santee, so I've been to Mission Trails park a couple of times. Been a while, though.

I remember that story. Scary. Being a backpacker, I've heard about and seen videos, etc of mountain lions. Don't want to meet one on the trail, that's for sure. Worst thing I've heard is that you won't hear them if they are going to attack you. affraid

Off-leash dogs are a pet-peeve of mine. Sure enough, coming back to the car, someone didn't have their dog on a leash and it started coming over to us. Mika doesn't seem to get along with other dogs. Max seems ok, but I also don't generally have them around other dogs so who knows.

The owner was calling their dog multiple times.... nothing. Worst thing was that there is a road (the 79) right there. Multiple cars passing by at 30-50mph. No fence, no sidewalk. I was very worried her dog was going to run into the street.

I just shake my head. I have yet to come across a dog that minds their owners in a high distraction environment. Scratch that... actually had one the other day.

We've seen a guy and girl training their Malinois a few times at the park where we walk the dogs. He is off-leash chasing a ball. E-collar (assume it's got the trigger in his pocket). Dog retrieves the ball and comes right back. Open field with a few people here and there.

The other night, I was talking to the girl by our car and the guy brought the dog up behind us. Mika got a little aggressive and I turned around saw the Mal. I pulled Mika back and the guy yelled at the dog to "DOWN"... and he did. Amazing. Didn't even give Mika a thought.
Back to top Go down
dvflyer
Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: Max and Mika's scrapbook   Max and Mika's scrapbook - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 22, 2018 9:11 pm

Oh.. sorry, I got off on my off-leash tangent. Very Happy

Harnesses work great. Have backpacks for them too. Didn't put them on yet. Will work up to packs, then packs with weight etc.

They do pull more with the harnesses. Going to take a lot of training and time to get them where I'm happy with them. Started private training lessons once a week for seven weeks. Not totally happy with the trainer so far. Not sure why exactly, but she just doesn't seem very organized on what we're going to do etc.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Max and Mika's scrapbook   Max and Mika's scrapbook - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 22, 2018 9:36 pm

I think it's natural for dogs to pull more in harness, I just haven't noticed it in any of my huskies, past and present. Kohdi and Mishka are my first Huskies to be exclusively in harness, all my past Huskies wore collars for the most part. Kohdi is a dream to walk, Mishka is the nightmare, LOL. I exaggerate, she's not bad at all by herself, but with Kohdi she pulls to be lead dog and keeps pulling to keep that position, it really wouldn't matter if she was in a collar,min fact she'd probably choke herself in a collar. My past Huskies were 95% collar, and although a dream to walk, would pull relentlessly if on a walk and had other dogs in front of them, once ahead of them though, they immediately went to casual walking. It's just in their DNA. It can be trained out of them, of course. I've had enough Huskies in my life to be comfortable with Mishka's walking habits, I know she knows how to walk really good because she does it when she is by herself. Collar or harness, would make no difference, in my opinion. At least with my dogs. I think you will find though that the more your two get used to walking in harness, the better they will be. Age and the training you are doing will only help them along better.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Max and Mika's scrapbook   Max and Mika's scrapbook - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 22, 2018 10:11 pm

Here in Big Bend a sure guarantee to be asked to leave is to have some yapper (or any dog for that matter) off leash. We've had enough dogs attacked that the Rangers aren't really even nice about it. "If you don't read the rules and don't follow them then you're endangering yourself and everyone else, bye!!"

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
dvflyer
Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: Max and Mika's scrapbook   Max and Mika's scrapbook - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 24, 2018 8:21 pm

Dental hygiene is important... Very Happy

Max and Mika's scrapbook - Page 2 45482602951_9e0111d922_zUntitled by Mike H, on Flickr
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Max and Mika's scrapbook   Max and Mika's scrapbook - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 25, 2018 11:31 am

lol. that facial expression though. Can't decide if this is hated or liked too much.

Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Max and Mika's scrapbook   Max and Mika's scrapbook - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 25, 2018 7:52 pm

Such a cute pic, reminds me of my two when one is looking what the other one has got. Max's fluff on his head reminds me of Tina Turner, LOLOL
Back to top Go down
dvflyer
Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: Max and Mika's scrapbook   Max and Mika's scrapbook - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 25, 2018 8:21 pm

ha ha ha..... Thunderdome, right?  

Max was having nothing to do with that electric toothbrush.  Was just a goofy thing to try (with a spare toothbrush Very Happy ).

Max and Mika's scrapbook - Page 2 44569070185_08aa9d5dc9_z
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Max and Mika's scrapbook   Max and Mika's scrapbook - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 26, 2018 12:13 am

dvflyer wrote:
ha ha ha..... Thunderdome, right?  

Max was having nothing to do with that electric toothbrush.  Was just a goofy thing to try (with a spare toothbrush Very Happy ).

Max and Mika's scrapbook - Page 2 44569070185_08aa9d5dc9_z

Haha, exactly! It just stands out in that pic because it's so white and is framed by the dark, almost like a Mohawk look! He's a beautiful dog, they both are.

You may just wanna keep at it with the toothbrush. I've gotten mine used to it, they don't necessarily like it, LOL, but they put up with it. If they aren't eating bones regularly, a brushing can help.
Back to top Go down
dvflyer
Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: Max and Mika's scrapbook   Max and Mika's scrapbook - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 13, 2018 2:16 am

My daughter saved up half for a new iPhone- we told her we'd pay the other half if she saved half.  She got a new Xs.  She's been snapping away. That thing takes really good pictures... straight out of the camera.

Max:

Max and Mika's scrapbook - Page 2 31983773658_b8433ce0e8_zUntitled by Mike H, on Flickr

Max and Mika's scrapbook - Page 2 31983773408_f2c70686c5_zUntitled by Mike H, on Flickr

Mika:

Max and Mika's scrapbook - Page 2 31983773638_95f5b151d3_zUntitled by Mike H, on Flickr
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Max and Mika's scrapbook   Max and Mika's scrapbook - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 14, 2018 8:41 pm

Dang, that phone takes some incredible pictures! Mine doesn't, lol. It does on occasion but for the most part, it sucks. I don't even use my iPad for pics anymore, I just can't take a decent pic with it.

They've grown so much! Just beautiful.
Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: Max and Mika's scrapbook   Max and Mika's scrapbook - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 18, 2018 5:08 pm

wow, those are amazing pics on your phone.
Back to top Go down
dvflyer
Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: Max and Mika's scrapbook   Max and Mika's scrapbook - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 18, 2018 10:45 pm

Quick hike with Mika to Lake Calavera Hiking Trail.  Tons of small trails leading off the larger trails.  I'm guessing they all end up at the same place eventually.  Very steep/ rocky hike up to the peak.  Otherwise nice smooth trail.  Even a boardwalk over the marshy areas.  Really nice.

Max and Mika's scrapbook - Page 2 32076035998_20b59fce33_zUntitled by Mike H, on Flickr

Max and Mika's scrapbook - Page 2 44130583650_1880eab94a_zUntitled by Mike H, on Flickr

Goofy summit pic.  Someone was nice enough to offer to take our picture with my phone.

Max and Mika's scrapbook - Page 2 45223035014_45b5b9ceda_zUntitled by Mike H, on Flickr
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Max and Mika's scrapbook   Max and Mika's scrapbook - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 19, 2018 3:02 am

Where is this trail? Really pretty pics, backpack looks great on Mika. It wasn't hot there? I took Kohdi on a long long walk, we went by the lake on our way home, and I was sweating, haha. He did ok though so it must not have been TOO hot for him, I left at 9:30 and was fine...got home at 12:30 and it felt like summer.
Back to top Go down
dvflyer
Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: Max and Mika's scrapbook   Max and Mika's scrapbook - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 19, 2018 11:53 am

Was my first time there. It's in Carlsbad. Couple ways to get to the trail from what I've read. I parked at Oak Riperian Park. Directions/ description at this link:

https://modernhiker.com/hike/hiking-lake-calavera/

Trail starts at the back of the park marked by three palms trees planted together. Take a right after crossing the little bridge at the beginning of the trail to head toward the peak. I imagine turning left would take you clockwise around some loop ending back at that same point. There is also Lake Calavera to walk around,but we didn't end up going.

From the summit, I could see people coming from the other side of the mountain (I believe it is an extinct volcano, actually) and also a parking area in between where I parked and where I believe the people were coming from so there are lots of options.

We were there right about 11:30 so right at mid-day. Not sure what the temps were. It was warm, but did not seem too hot, even in the open spaces. Wouldn't have wanted to go if it was too much warmer, though. Will definitely go back to explore the rest of the trails. Watch for mountain bikers if you go since it's popular place for them also.
Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: Max and Mika's scrapbook   Max and Mika's scrapbook - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 19, 2018 4:05 pm

wow beautiful pics, nice summit pic lovely scenery.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Max and Mika's scrapbook   Max and Mika's scrapbook - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 19, 2018 9:56 pm

dvflyer wrote:
Was my first time there.  It's in Carlsbad.  Couple ways to get to the trail from what I've read.  I parked at Oak Riperian Park.  Directions/ description at this link:

https://modernhiker.com/hike/hiking-lake-calavera/

Trail starts at the back of the park marked by three palms trees planted together.  Take a right after crossing the little bridge at the beginning of the trail to head toward the peak.  I imagine turning left would take you clockwise around some loop ending back at that same point.  There is also Lake Calavera to walk around,but we didn't end up going.

From the summit, I could see people coming from the other side of the mountain (I believe it is an extinct volcano, actually) and also a parking area in between where I parked and where I believe the people were coming from so there are lots of options.

We were there right about 11:30 so right at mid-day.  Not sure what the temps were.  It was warm, but did not seem too hot, even in the open spaces.  Wouldn't have wanted to go if it was too much warmer, though.  Will definitely go back to explore the rest of the trails.  Watch for mountain bikers if you go since it's popular place for them also.

Hmm, I may have been there at one time then. As a kid. I remember my dad picking up a few pieces of volcanic rock to bring home to my mom for her garden. How many volcanic areas could there be here? LOL.

Sounds like a great time! Looks beautiful too!
Back to top Go down
dvflyer
Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: Max and Mika's scrapbook   Max and Mika's scrapbook - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 03, 2018 1:19 pm

Another day-hike.  Took both puppies.  So much more stress walking both of them. ha ha.  Took them to Hellhole Canyon Preserve.  Lots of rutted/ rocky ascents/ descents.  Pretty rough hike.  With the cooler weather, I can try out some of the hikes I that are too hot to do in the summer.  Not sure I'd go back to this one.  

5 miles RT.

Max and Mika's scrapbook - Page 2 31214330367_e57b263a75_zUntitled by Mike H, on Flickr

Road in the very back of the photo is wear we started.

Max and Mika's scrapbook - Page 2 44336743660_590d9ecc89_zUntitled by Mike H, on Flickr

Max and Mika's scrapbook - Page 2 46153766531_2105b4fc3e_zUntitled by Mike H, on Flickr

Max and Mika's scrapbook - Page 2 45438689434_a7f08d964b_zScreen Shot 2018-12-03 at 8.15.54 AM by Mike H, on Flickr
Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: Max and Mika's scrapbook   Max and Mika's scrapbook - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 05, 2018 10:30 pm

beautiful pics, wow i wish Leo could do 5 miles haha.
Back to top Go down
dvflyer
Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: Max and Mika's scrapbook   Max and Mika's scrapbook - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 17, 2018 3:23 am

Tried to take Christmas photos, with the dogs and family, in the garage and the backdrop set up. It was an exercise in futility if ever there was one... ha ha.

Got a couple good ones of just the pups, though.

Max and Mika's scrapbook - Page 2 45436888125_24ed83ca12_zDSC_9349 by Mike H, on Flickr
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Max and Mika's scrapbook   Max and Mika's scrapbook - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 17, 2018 9:36 pm

Musta been the human part of the family that misbehaved for pictures because the dogs look very well behaved to me Wink that is an awesome picture of the two of them, love the coloring!
Back to top Go down
dvflyer
Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: Max and Mika's scrapbook   Max and Mika's scrapbook - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 17, 2018 10:45 pm

There WAS also some misbehaving humans too... ha ha.

Not part of the photoshoot, but laughed when I saw this. Took the screen off this window and..... :

Max and Mika's scrapbook - Page 2 46357373551_a51d664a01_zUntitled by Mike H, on Flickr
Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: Max and Mika's scrapbook   Max and Mika's scrapbook - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 18, 2018 11:50 pm

haha that last one is cute.
Back to top Go down
dvflyer
Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: Max and Mika's scrapbook   Max and Mika's scrapbook - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 30, 2018 8:52 pm

Took Max to Lake Calavera Trail.  Glad I didn't take both of them.  We went up and down some really steep trails.  Didn't mean to, just happened since a lot of the trails split multiple times.  They would have been very hard to control for sure.

Couple quick pics:

Up at the peak

Max and Mika's scrapbook - Page 2 44715742610_4a58c3ea01_zUntitled by Mike H, on Flickr

Looking east from the peak out over a mostly flat area.  Probably take the mountain bike there some time.

Max and Mika's scrapbook - Page 2 46533021421_f4c1afb5d5_zUntitled by Mike H, on Flickr

Back at the grass area by the car.

Max and Mika's scrapbook - Page 2 46533021541_65ce603e0d_zUntitled by Mike H, on Flickr
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Max and Mika's scrapbook   Max and Mika's scrapbook - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 31, 2018 4:11 pm

First pic is cute. Looks like he had some fun and got tired Smile he reminds me a lot of Kohdi in some ways.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Max and Mika's scrapbook   Max and Mika's scrapbook - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Max and Mika's scrapbook

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next