It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Going to the vet need advice

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

Going to the vet need advice  Empty
PostSubject: Going to the vet need advice    Going to the vet need advice  EmptyFri Jan 04, 2019 8:33 pm

So when april comes around all my dogs go to the vet but the problem really arises with squirt. She has animal agression issues due to hormone imbalance but is the nicest dog i have ever met with people. When i take her to the vet and the doc walks in she jumps on her and wags her tail and is happy as can be but the second the vet tries to do anything clinical she goes cujo (6 vets have refused to see her) we tried a muzzle and she can get it off we tried not doing it in the exam room and still went cujo tried giving her ace 1.5 hours before the exam still went cujo and what i mean by going cujo is she goes psycho violent for about 5 mins then screams and urinates and deficates on the vet the tech me and herself. She will be 7 this year and is my only animal that isnt on heartworm doesnt get a yearly wellness exam amd given her age i think it needs to be done along with her teeth (she gets yearly vaccines and thats it) but my 2 real questions are has anyone else seen this type of craziness and 2 anyone have any ideas how to make it better for her because even to do anaesthesia she has to get a shot or iv and the more worked up she is the more likely it wont work or will have complications. I have actually considered rehoming squirt because a dog with severe animal agression does not do well in a multidog household and she would be happier being an only animal but the vet issue is so major it wouldnt be fair to do that to someone and risk the dog not being able to get medical care and some vets would want her put down
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Going to the vet need advice    Going to the vet need advice  EmptyFri Jan 04, 2019 10:30 pm

What about having the vet up a sedative syringe that you can take home and give the shot in thigh?
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Going to the vet need advice    Going to the vet need advice  EmptyFri Jan 04, 2019 10:33 pm

Here's the story of my Cujo. Look at yesterday's hijack... Now playing with guys. Targeted desensitization along ecollar training.

https://www.itsahuskything.com/t16630-blazze-becomes-z-ev-follow-his-journey-from-death-row-to-member-of-the-family?highlight=Blazze
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Going to the vet need advice    Going to the vet need advice  EmptyFri Jan 04, 2019 10:37 pm

Would take 2 people to hold her down and ive worked as a vet tech and a horse trainer so im comfy with shots but had to give her a booster and got bit in the process. My vet recommended a dart gun for the next visit i just worry thats kinda intense. Also my vet does dogs cats and livestock and with livestock dartguns happen
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Going to the vet need advice    Going to the vet need advice  EmptyFri Jan 04, 2019 10:50 pm

Have you tried the Baskerville ultra muzzle? With the head strap AND collar attached?
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Going to the vet need advice    Going to the vet need advice  EmptyFri Jan 04, 2019 10:57 pm

Actually ive been looking at that type of muzzle and yes i know i cant just put it on her it involves training my gsd wears one in public and he could care less about it just took some time but one thing that has changed for the worse. She didnt freak out as much when one of the other dogs was with her but in the last year her and spider decided they were going to kill each other and the 2 boys backed spider but we let the gsd out with squirt because hes great with other dogs and he ran into the bathroom terrified. Hes already going blind and he doesnt need to be terrorized for the sake of bringing a 10 to a 9 on the crazy scale.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Going to the vet need advice    Going to the vet need advice  EmptyFri Jan 04, 2019 11:57 pm

I don't have the extreme problem that you have - thank the gods! - but my Sasha is muzzled at the vet for everyone's protection.  They can muzzle her, but it's easier on everyone if I do - though that's the only place that we use a muzzle.

Sasha is *very* food possessive - she's bitten me in the past to the tune of 4 stitches and when she's uncomfortable she's apt to bite (at least now it's down to a snap and with me it's an air snap.)

She's the one of my three that's going to defend herself at all cost, so we've had a few tussles between Sky (Sibe Female) and Sasha (Sibe Female) but they've all been over food or territory ...

I wish I had a good solution for you but I sympathize with the "What do I do?" I can't (won't) give Sasha to anyone - the police have the record on her one bite when I called EMS so another bite (except on yours truly) means she gets put down.  Over time she's become a much better dog - though my neighbor is afraid of her.  

Sorry, that's no way to live - for either you or her but the alternative (at least in my case) just isn't acceptable.  Good luck ...

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
dvflyer
Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: Going to the vet need advice    Going to the vet need advice  EmptySat Jan 05, 2019 12:32 am

No real ideas, so I'll just throw this out there.... Any way to medicate her before a visit with a pill? Might be easier than a shot (?).
Back to top Go down
Shepsky13
Teenager
Teenager
Shepsky13

Male Join date : 2017-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Going to the vet need advice    Going to the vet need advice  EmptySat Jan 05, 2019 6:36 pm

My rescue hated the vet, and would back away while growling and snapping.
Vet and her tech could not even get a muzzle on him.

The way we survive vet visits these days...
1. I muzzle-trained my dog. First, by treating the muzzle like a big basket of treats to eat from...then, let him wear muzzle for a few minutes and eat treats or go for a short walk. I like the Baskerville muzzle - dog can pant, eat and drink while wearing.
2. One and a half hour before the visit, he gets 2 trazodone pills... relieves anxiety/ takes edge off, makes him a little drowsy.
3. In exam room alone with him, I put on his muzzle securely. The Baskerville has a strap over forehead and one you can run through collar.
4. I often stay with him, petting him and holding his head, while vet does things.

Hope you find a way that works for your dog!

Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Going to the vet need advice    Going to the vet need advice  EmptySat Jan 05, 2019 9:38 pm

One thing my uncle (veterinarian) thought might help would be having the vet come out to the house instead of bringing the dogs in to the office and i am considering that option even tho its gonna tack on about 300 to my already high april vet bill. Gonna order her a muzzle next week regardless because of what could have been a very bad situation today in Durango involving a loose pug. Im also leaning on forget squirts a dog and work on desensitization the same way i did with my foals. Its just gonna involve buying the stuff that scares her but there is still the shot issue and bloodwork. And as for pills ive tried ace and triazadone and xanax and ive contemplated thc/cbd drops. The growling and snapping i get but i have never seen a dog react like its dying in a very painful manner over a stethoscope which could be a sign of a neurological problem and other things which makes getting checked even more important. Other then at the vet she is an extremely confident and very dominant female which makes the reaction that much stranger
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Going to the vet need advice    Going to the vet need advice  EmptySat Jan 05, 2019 10:41 pm

I think I would start the muzzle training, than when she will wear the muzzle for an hour or so, take her to the vets office, ask the vet to come out to the waiting room and give her a high value treat (chicken/salmon/cheese - whatever floats her boat) and then leave. Repeat frequently. Then move to walking in the exam room, getting a treat and leaving. Hopefully your vet won't charge for this! THen work up to in the exam room, have the vet touch her, feel her ribs, rub her ears. Treats galore during this exercise. Maybe, if all goes well, lay out some instruments.

Their are two vets at the practise I go to - one is very disapproving of a biting dog (my older guy wears a muzzle all the time) but she is exceedingly gently with him - she sits on the floor with him, talks softly, takes her time and very gently, almost imperceptibly begins to touch/examine him. The other vet has a much more pragmatic view of the muzzle and Z'ev's history. She is much more fun with the dogs. Both clearly really love animals.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Going to the vet need advice    Going to the vet need advice  EmptySat Jan 05, 2019 10:49 pm

So - who is who here? Spider is husky-wolf? Squirt has the vet problem? What breed is Squirt?
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Going to the vet need advice    Going to the vet need advice  EmptySat Jan 05, 2019 11:08 pm

Squirt is sibe/ native American Indian dog i got off the Navajo nation spider is 78% wolf 22%sibe (embark test)but 1 blue eye and snow nose so low content
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Going to the vet need advice    Going to the vet need advice  EmptySat Jan 05, 2019 11:09 pm

In my avatar the brown one in the crate is squirt and spider is the huaky looking thing next to the crate
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Going to the vet need advice    Going to the vet need advice  EmptySat Jan 05, 2019 11:35 pm

Squirt is in the rio grande river spider is on the food container Going to the vet need advice  20180511Going to the vet need advice  20180811
Back to top Go down
Doray
Newborn
Newborn
Doray

Female Join date : 2017-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Going to the vet need advice    Going to the vet need advice  EmptyMon Jan 07, 2019 1:59 am

You could tire her out. My huskies are demanded by my family to come to every and any family reunion, they do get very very excited and are jumpy when they see too many new people and dogs like that. We bikejore ~5-10mil with them in the morning and they are pretty tired and sleepy after that. It may work for vet visits for you too. I also use prong collar/harness and this technique has given me 0 issues with the 3 jumping(after our run) so I hope it may be a little help to you, good luck.
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Going to the vet need advice    Going to the vet need advice  EmptyMon Jan 07, 2019 5:44 pm

Ive been thinking atv in the spring if i can find one that isnt a ton of money so i can go let her run in desolate places. With the exception of a few places that have and enforce leash laws i try and keep her within a fence. I live on the open range and edge of the rio grande national forest and most people here let thier dogs roam and im afraid to end up in a pack vs squirt problem. When i lived on an air force base i would have her pull me to the commissary 5 miles away on my rollar blades get coffee and have her pull me home sometimes twice a day and shes like the Energizer bunny but no pavement except basically highways she loves to swim but thats weather dependent and so is the 300 ft cable and the rc car . I also used to take her horseback riding with me for 20 to 30 mile rides but sadly no more horse (or bikes or skiis) until my spinal injury is not in as bad of shape as its in. And also when i had my horse she did draft work pulling hay and 5 gallon water buckets and was still an absolute nightmare at the vet
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Going to the vet need advice    Going to the vet need advice  Empty

Back to top Go down

Going to the vet need advice

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1