It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

When is it safe to run miles with my husky?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
srp
Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2018-11-06

When is it safe to run miles with my husky? Empty
PostSubject: When is it safe to run miles with my husky?   When is it safe to run miles with my husky? EmptySat Jan 19, 2019 11:30 am

Hello all,

I wanted some input from experienced people that have done significant running with their husky. I don't have a ton of experience with huskies (got my first one in September 2018) so I had a few question related to running. Cursor is a male, 6 months old, and has a standard coat.

1) I typically run 35-45 miles per week. Is it safe to run Cursor that amount eventually? (I realize I would need to build him up to that)

2) Summer mornings in Oklahoma are typically 60-70 degrees F in high humidity. Is that safe for Cursor to run several miles in?

3) How old does he have to be before I can run with him? And how slowly should I build him up to my mileage?

Thank you so much!
Back to top Go down
Shepsky13
Teenager
Teenager
Shepsky13

Male Join date : 2017-11-03

PostSubject: Re: When is it safe to run miles with my husky?   When is it safe to run miles with my husky? EmptySat Jan 19, 2019 12:43 pm

Hi!
Wow that is some serious mileage :-)

I run with my dog sometimes (2-3 miles at most per run) and this is all I have to offer...

- 60 to 70 degrees may be too hot for serious mileage. My dog is most active when it is under 50 degrees out, and actually runs best when it’s between 20-30 Fahrenheit! 60-70, you will need to monitor and take water breaks. At 70, with sun, my guy was really Drooping...I never force him. We just walk when he wants to walk.

- train him not to dash suddenly to the side and sniff mailbox/ bush. I have nearly killed myself tripping over my dog! So, some training is needed about no sudden stops and turns while running...

- it may not be good for joints to run too much on asphalt/concrete...that goes for humans and dogs! Both of us feel a lot more happy and comfortable running on packed dirt, trails, etc.

I think the quantity of mileage should be fine! Isn’t that what huskies are bred to do? :-)

I got my dog as an adult, so not sure about how to build a puppy up, or at what age they can start to run far...

Anyway it sounds like you will have fun together! :-)

Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: When is it safe to run miles with my husky?   When is it safe to run miles with my husky? EmptySat Jan 19, 2019 1:01 pm

I don't run my Huskies - I have three of them - but from what I see here:
1) The key word in your sentence is "eventually" but 35-45 miles a day wouldn't be out of the realm of reason eventually.

2) I live a bit south of you, down Texas way, on the desert by Big Bend National Park. The heat by itself, surprisingly, isn't the (literal) killer, it's the combination of heat and humidity. I have one 8 year old that I run on a dirt road with my Jeep - he's off and running at about 20-25 MPH (his choice) for about 15 minutes then slows down to a fairly solid 15-20 for another 4-5 miles (at which point I'm off the dirt road.) He'll do that whether it's 30 or 80 (at which point I don't go out with him!) What I watch for is his panting or his tongue hanging a mile out - then I stop the Jeep and he gets in - he's had his fun. And yes, I do stop to check on how he's doing as we're going up the road ... doesn't really answer your question, does it?

3) Huskies are a medium breed dog and he should have his full height by about a year, then he'll fill out (muscle up) for another 6 - 12 months. When he stops growing you can think about some longer cross country runs. Up till then you need to be concerned about the growth plates (normally you can see the ones in his legs - that's the bump at his ankles.) High impact running on anything is not good till the growth plates seal off (no further growth)

If you'll notice when you've had him out where he can run on his own, he'll run for a while and the stop and rest for a while. If you take him into the back yard, you'll probably see a couple rounds of zoomies, then he'll come set with you, then he's off again. In that type of environment there's really no limit on how long he can go since he can stop when he wants. Once you break into running with you for distance, you're setting the pace and distance - he can't really "stop and take a break." So you have to be much more aware of his needs (water, rest)

The only other caveat I'd mention is that you don't want him running on hard surfaces (concrete, blacktop) even when you and he get to running further you'll want his running to be on grass or sand (not many beaches up in OK, are there?) something that has a lot less impact on his feet / bones.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Huskyfollower
Newborn
Newborn
Huskyfollower

Female Join date : 2019-01-16

PostSubject: Re: When is it safe to run miles with my husky?   When is it safe to run miles with my husky? EmptySat Jan 19, 2019 2:49 pm

I would also add that it might be a good idea to make sure you are giving him glucosamine and chondroitin supplements. It promotes healthy joint developement, glucosamine being the lubricant within the joints, and chondroitin being what promotes glucosamine production. Local pet stores usually sell the supplements, but if you're feeding raw, shellfish tend to have both present (though I don't know the concentration off the top of my head.)
Best of luck to you and Cursor!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When is it safe to run miles with my husky?   When is it safe to run miles with my husky? Empty

Back to top Go down

When is it safe to run miles with my husky?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1