It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Good and safe toy?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
vue_yee
Puppy
Puppy
vue_yee

Female Join date : 2012-10-25

Good and safe toy? Empty
PostSubject: Good and safe toy?   Good and safe toy? EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 4:38 pm

Daisy likes to chew on EVERYTHING. She will chew all of her toys into tiny pieces and then even eats and swallows the cotton or fabric sometimes. I really don't want her eating and swallowing anything that's not food.

We have tried rope toys and she'll chew it up too and eat the tiny rope pieces. We have also tried rubber toys but she doesn't really care for them and doesn't really play with them.

We have tried plastic squeaky toys but she'll end up tearing those apart too. She does like the raw hides but she also eats pieces of them and has thrown up before so I don't really want to give her those anymore.

We tried tennis balls and other types of balls but she only plays with them sometimes, she gets bored with it easily.

The last thing she has is a Kong toy but she'll only get the treats out and once she gets all the treats out, she's done. If she knows there is no treats in it, she doesn't even look at the toy.

So what is a good toy that she can chew on safely and that will last a long time.
Back to top Go down
katiesham
Adult
Adult
katiesham

Female Join date : 2012-08-08

Good and safe toy? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good and safe toy?   Good and safe toy? EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 4:57 pm

Lots of people love antlers for their dogs! Mine loves them and they last a pretty long time compared to other things.

They're safe for them, do a pretty good job of keeping their teeth cleaned, and don't tend to upset their stomachs like rawhides do.

You can find them at Petsmart, but I've noticed the prices going up quite a bit recently. If you have a local pet store nearby, I'd try there first. I have a great store near me that gets them in from somewhere locally and they're significantly cheaper!

Also, mine doesn't much care for regular tennis balls, but Kong makes some that have a squeaker in them and she goes crazy for them.

Kyjen makes a toy that lots of Husky owners like. It's called a Hard Boiled Softie. It's not totally indestructible, because they can still chew through the outside of it, but they hard rubber interior makes it last longer than just a regular plush toy.

Hope that helped!
Back to top Go down
vue_yee
Puppy
Puppy
vue_yee

Good and safe toy? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good and safe toy?   Good and safe toy? EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 8:22 pm

Thanks so much, I will look into those toys.
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

Good and safe toy? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good and safe toy?   Good and safe toy? EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 12:23 pm

I've never done the antlers, my vet hates them, she says she sees a lot of broken teeth with those. My dogs are both big time chewers and can't destroy the black kongs! Not even the lab!
Back to top Go down
vue_yee
Puppy
Puppy
vue_yee

Good and safe toy? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good and safe toy?   Good and safe toy? EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 5:48 pm

I've never tried antlers either but I ordered some from Ebay and also ordered the Classic Kong bone toy. I hope she plays with them because with the Kong toys she just gets the treats out and be done with it. She knows when there is no treats in it and doesn't even bother to look at it if she knows nothings in there.
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

Good and safe toy? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good and safe toy?   Good and safe toy? EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 8:15 pm

A lacrosse ball, a solid rubber ball about the same size as a tennis ball. I have yet to see one destroyed by man or beast though I did hack one up pretty good once with my lawn mower (oops).

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4396515

PS: Don't get the hollow ones they last less then a tennis ball
Back to top Go down
vue_yee
Puppy
Puppy
vue_yee

Good and safe toy? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good and safe toy?   Good and safe toy? EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 4:25 pm

Thanks for the tip. We did find a softball and she likes it okay. She can't destroy it either.
Back to top Go down
Onyx_Blitz
Teenager
Teenager
Onyx_Blitz

Male Join date : 2012-09-12

Good and safe toy? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good and safe toy?   Good and safe toy? EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 5:24 pm

vue_yee wrote:
Thanks for the tip. We did find a softball and she likes it okay. She can't destroy it either.

Be careful with the softballs. Onyx wasn't able to destroy the softball, however he was able to tear the threads then peel the leather back and get at the middle. Once they get to the middle I would advise removing it from them as the inside can junk apart. I still give him softballs but I usually replace it when he peels the cover off.
Back to top Go down
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

Female Join date : 2012-05-31

Good and safe toy? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good and safe toy?   Good and safe toy? EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 6:22 pm

Nyla bones are meant to be really great.

Bully sticks are good too, they smell a bit but you can get the unscented ones. They're tough, last a while and he dogs love them
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/For-the-Love-of-Readi
vue_yee
Puppy
Puppy
vue_yee

Good and safe toy? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good and safe toy?   Good and safe toy? EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 7:43 pm

Well at least I think it's a softball. I mean it look's nothing like a softball but the size of it and the hardness of it. I don't know what kind of ball it was but it's the size of a softball and it doesn't have any leather or cover to rip off. It also has dents in the ball like a golf ball and its yellow. It's not hollow either, so I don't know what kind of ball it is. I just thought it was a training softball or something.

I have gotten Nyla bone toys for her before but she doesn't really care for them much. When she was younger I got her Nyla bone teethers and would freeze them and give it to her but she still didn't care much for them.

We will probably try bully sticks too because the antlers are expensive! lol.

Daisy also does this weird thing where she'll bring her rawhide and jump on the couch and bark at it. The very first rawhide we ever gave her she smelled it and started barking at it before she played or chewed it. I just think it's funny but wonder why she barks at her bones.
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

Good and safe toy? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good and safe toy?   Good and safe toy? EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 9:33 pm

Careful with the rawhides they are known to cause digestive blockages.

Been there done that, well not me but Mylo.
Back to top Go down
vue_yee
Puppy
Puppy
vue_yee

Good and safe toy? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good and safe toy?   Good and safe toy? EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 9:39 pm

We are trying to take the rawhides away but trying to find something to replace it bc that's really the only thing that will last her.
Back to top Go down
MyKeeonah
Teenager
Teenager
MyKeeonah

Male Join date : 2012-01-28

Good and safe toy? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good and safe toy?   Good and safe toy? EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 5:17 am

orange and blue chuck it ball!

http://www.google.com/imgres?num=10&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbnid=qirA_mt-Y9FjeM:&imgrefurl=http://www.rei.com/product/743915/chuckit-ultra-fetch-balls-2-pack&docid=T_WQjjtN9JIRpM&imgurl=http://www.rei.com/zoom/mm/612647ab-8ac7-4b80-bb95-32d82a8fbd05.jpg/440&w=385&h=440&ei=S9CQULjCKYKsjALT4oGYCg&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=189&sig=113972486555769659008&page=1&tbnh=156&tbnw=137&start=0&ndsp=17&ved=1t:429,i:78&tx=83&ty=47&biw=1024&bih=677

squishy, soft, and indestructible. Keeonah throws it for herself, chases it, pounces on it, chews on it, sets it in my lap. She has a lot of toys, but that one is a very very clear favorite for her. Which, is pretty weird, because other than it she hates allll other balls.
Back to top Go down
vue_yee
Puppy
Puppy
vue_yee

Good and safe toy? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good and safe toy?   Good and safe toy? EmptyFri Nov 02, 2012 8:47 pm

I got Daisy a antler chew bone and she really likes it and takes it everywhere with her.
Back to top Go down
KoopaKrazy
Puppy
Puppy
KoopaKrazy

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

Good and safe toy? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good and safe toy?   Good and safe toy? EmptyFri Nov 02, 2012 11:32 pm

Sounds like you have a cage ball Smile they're less destructive to bats and the lack of laces keeps it from going crazy in a pitching machine. Koopa likes the Kong tennis balls, but I have to watch him or he tries to pull the fuzz off. But he has a Kong toy he can't destroy, so I think I may try the Kong stick next because he always runs away with any stick he can find. I would definitely stick to the Kong section though because the toys are made for powerful chewers like Daisy & Koopa!
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

Good and safe toy? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good and safe toy?   Good and safe toy? EmptySat Nov 03, 2012 1:42 am

Antlers are worth it, as they last much longer than any other chew.

I get mine for free now from hunters.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
vue_yee
Puppy
Puppy
vue_yee

Good and safe toy? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good and safe toy?   Good and safe toy? EmptySat Nov 03, 2012 1:53 am

KoopaKrazy wrote:
Sounds like you have a cage ball Smile they're less destructive to bats and the lack of laces keeps it from going crazy in a pitching machine. Koopa likes the Kong tennis balls, but I have to watch him or he tries to pull the fuzz off. But he has a Kong toy he can't destroy, so I think I may try the Kong stick next because he always runs away with any stick he can find. I would definitely stick to the Kong section though because the toys are made for powerful chewers like Daisy & Koopa!

Daisy only plays with the balls sometimes whether it's tennis ball or case ball. She likes sticks too! She also picks any stick up that she finds. I just recently bought her the Kong Bone, haven't tried it out yet because I want her to be bored with her other toys before I introduce new ones and right now she is LOVING the antler.
Back to top Go down
vue_yee
Puppy
Puppy
vue_yee

Good and safe toy? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good and safe toy?   Good and safe toy? EmptySat Nov 03, 2012 1:53 am

mheath0429 wrote:
Antlers are worth it, as they last much longer than any other chew.

I get mine for free now from hunters.

That is pretty awesome because OMG those antlers are EXPENSIVE!
Back to top Go down
vue_yee
Puppy
Puppy
vue_yee

Good and safe toy? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good and safe toy?   Good and safe toy? EmptySat Nov 03, 2012 1:55 am

It IS a cage ball, lol. I went and Googled it.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

Good and safe toy? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good and safe toy?   Good and safe toy? EmptySat Nov 03, 2012 2:07 am

Check on craigslist for hunters looking to get rid of them.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
vue_yee
Puppy
Puppy
vue_yee

Good and safe toy? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good and safe toy?   Good and safe toy? EmptySat Nov 03, 2012 3:17 am

mheath0429 wrote:
Check on craigslist for hunters looking to get rid of them.

I will do that, thanks for the tip.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Good and safe toy? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good and safe toy?   Good and safe toy? Empty

Back to top Go down

Good and safe toy?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1