It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Will his coat change or stay soft?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
kodathehusky
Newborn
Newborn
kodathehusky

Female Join date : 2019-02-27

Will his coat change or stay soft?  Empty
PostSubject: Will his coat change or stay soft?    Will his coat change or stay soft?  EmptyWed Mar 20, 2019 5:16 pm

Hello all! For those of you who saw my post about allergies, I'm keeping Koda and using lots of benadryl haha.

Since Koda is my first husky i'm not an expert on telling how he'd look when he's older. Koda was born on December 9th, 2018 and I chose him from the litter on January 13th. He was the smallest of the litter and he also had very soft fur(like a teddy bear), but the rest of the pups in the litter were very coarse since the first day I saw them. The breeder told me that his fur would change too, but it still hasn't yet and is the only one like this so I was wondering if he would remain so soft or turn coarse like the others. I saw the parents and they were more like the other puppies. He also went from being the smallest of the litter to being much, much bigger than the rest of them but I think it's just because he is a lot fluffier than them, he is only 17 lbs now.

Will his coat change or stay soft?  Kodano11

^ This photo was the day that I got him.

Will his coat change or stay soft?  Koda210
[Will his coat change or stay soft?  Koda310

^ These are photos I just took to post this, they're not the best because my camera quality isn't great but the last one of him sleeping is okay.

Will he stay this way?
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Will his coat change or stay soft?    Will his coat change or stay soft?  EmptyWed Mar 20, 2019 5:24 pm

Eventually the soft fluff will blow away and he will get his adult coat. It will have some more guard hairs which will make the top of him feel a bit more coarse, but a quality diet and proper grooming and he can stay fairly soft. He needs the guard hairs to protect his undercoat from the elements. That will come in sometime in the 6 month range possibly. they all kinda do their first coat blow at their own pace. So it varies. My girl is very soft on her legs and chest and top of the head, but she has the rougher (still not that rough though) guard hairs that run down her back that are less soft.

Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Will his coat change or stay soft?    Will his coat change or stay soft?  EmptyWed Mar 20, 2019 7:10 pm

MY wooly boy is soft as silk. My son's dog Archer, a husky mix with a shorter, sleeker coat, is soft as long as you rub the fur in the direction of growth. Against the fur, it's more bristly. My persnickety, little one (a permanent foster) - when we first got him his coat was coarse, stinky and sparse. After 2 months on TOTW High Prairie, his coat was sweet smelling, plush, shiny and almost as soft as my wooly. While this is wildly speculative at such a young age, your pup looks to be more on the plush side and may very well stay softer than the others as he grows, though the adult guard hairs will be somewhat coarser.

He really is a beautiful pup, BTW.

As for Benedryl - works fine as antihistamine but can cause sleepiness. If that's a problem for you, you can try either Allegra (fexofenadine is the generic and a LOT cheaper), Claritin (generic Loratidine) or Zyrtec (cetirizine hydrochloride) You may have to try each one to find the one the works the best for you (for instance I can't take claritin due to psychiatric side effects and use allegra while my oldest son can't take allegra for similar reasons. He describes it as "feeling really dark" and takes Claritin. Go figure. These side effects are known but very rare. My grandson takes Zyrtec with no issue.
Back to top Go down
kodathehusky
Newborn
Newborn
kodathehusky

Female Join date : 2019-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Will his coat change or stay soft?    Will his coat change or stay soft?  EmptyWed Mar 20, 2019 8:36 pm

Thank you Amy.. your husky is beautiful too I love his coloring! also, I saw your profile and we share the same birthday! Smile
so far, no sleepiness but I may try another allergy medicine too. I have had problems in with allegra in the past so that one is a no go for me as well.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Will his coat change or stay soft?    Will his coat change or stay soft?  EmptyWed Mar 20, 2019 8:51 pm

Grooming is the key, in my opinion. Both my Huskies are very fluffy, yet have distinctly different coats. I used to think Mishka had a coarser coat than my fluff ball, Kohdi, but regular brushing and Mishka's coat is as soft as Kohdi's.
Back to top Go down
Sasha_in_FL
Puppy
Puppy
Sasha_in_FL

Female Join date : 2019-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Will his coat change or stay soft?    Will his coat change or stay soft?  EmptyThu Mar 21, 2019 9:10 am

Aw your pup is so cute! And not much older then my Sasha! Smile
Back to top Go down
RAHUSKY
Puppy
Puppy
RAHUSKY

PostSubject: Re: Will his coat change or stay soft?    Will his coat change or stay soft?  EmptyThu Mar 21, 2019 11:02 am

What a beautiful pup! Quality food and regular brushing will definitely contribute to a beautiful coat. Congrats!!
Back to top Go down
http://rahusky.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Will his coat change or stay soft?    Will his coat change or stay soft?  Empty

Back to top Go down

Will his coat change or stay soft?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1