It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Hey ya'll, it's been a long time. It's about Mylo..and a life update.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
davecerv
Adult
Adult
davecerv

Male Join date : 2014-09-20

Hey ya'll, it's been a long time. It's about Mylo..and a life update.  Empty
PostSubject: Hey ya'll, it's been a long time. It's about Mylo..and a life update.    Hey ya'll, it's been a long time. It's about Mylo..and a life update.  EmptySat Jul 13, 2019 1:43 pm

Hey guys,
[LIFE UPDATE] {for those who are wondering}
first I must say that it's been such a long time since I even visited this site (2017)!
I was very active for like the first 2 years of Mylo's life and the site was of great help for us. However, I then got super busy with not just school, but then I got a job that it's like I sold my soul to the company..very busy working all the time.

**DISCLAIMER: IF YA'LL WANT TO SKIP THE SOB STORY AND GET TO THE MYLO SITUATION...SKIP OVER THESE LINES**
Anyway, I've been in the middle of a lot of changes in my life. Yeah I graduated college with an associates degree in May of this year. However, my girlfriend of 4yrs broke up with me (December 2018). A lot of the things I've been doing for the past year have been gearing up for our future so ya'll can see how devastating this was for me. I'm stable and doing better. Things didn't end in anger or hatred, she just confessed that she didn't feel the same anymore and was trying to keep it going to not hurt me but she couldn't take it anymore. Granted, we were friends longer than we were a couple. We've known each other for 11 years now, 7 as friends and 4 as a couple. I thought everything was okay, but I just wasn't aware, she thought I was. It was a very understanding breakup, no screaming no aggression. We don't hate each other. We still talk and I still get to see Mylo of course. If anything the lesson I learned is that I'm too nice and just because two people are great friends doesn't mean that it will equal to a good relationship as a coupe.

Okay, now for Mylo, he's now 4yrs old and has been doing great. He's still a sweet  calm boy he's always been. However, yesterday was rough. I was off from work so I decided to take him to his favorite store (Kriser's).  

Here's a detailed chronological description of the day.
I tend to take pics/video when I brush him and take him out so that's how I am able to give time stamps.

11am (around 96 degrees but under the shade)
Got him on the grooming table to air blow him, brush him, and brush his teeth.

11:43am
Back in the house so he can cool down

12:40
Got in the car (after letting it cool inside for around 15 mins)

12:53
We arrive to the store
**some extra details: he gets very excited when we exit the freeway and then even more so when we enter the parking lot, he knows this place! Then we didn't snag a parking spot in front of the store so we parked three rows down.**

12:54 or 55?

We enter the store he does his usual thing gets on the counter to get a treat but the cashier wasn't there so we carried on exploring the store and then an employee was offering him a treat and he didnt take it but began to shake his head, were thinking aww he really doesnt want it thats a hard NO lol

12:58
...but then he kept shaking his head left to right and then....he got on the floor, his mouth getting foamy, he peed himself, and was shaking.

12:59
I quickly thought of capturing some of this on video so I did.
...22 seconds of it.
I was horribly terrified but was staying calm and silent. I thought he was dying, I was crying but I was staying silent. The store was empty, but the two employees were near and also calm and silent.

The episode lasted around 2 minutes and then he laid still not shaking anymore, with eyes open for about 2 minutes. He then just looked at me calmly before he got up.
One of the employees went to get a fresh bowl of water and the other one brought towels.

I didn't immediately rush to the vet because I wanted him to chill so we walked around in the store to see if he was walking normal and observe him. He began to wag his tail for the employees, it was like nothing happened.

I asked the employee to get Mylo while I go get my car close to then leave.

2pm

We arrive at the vet, he traveled normal and was friendly as usual in the lobby and with the employees.

He likes to get on the sit next to me in the lobby at the vet  sunny
Hey ya'll, it's been a long time. It's about Mylo..and a life update.  Img_1310

56lbs of husky
The vet suggested no treatment because it's only his first one, but she did recommend blood work, poop, and pee test. I approved of course.
I described the whole day to the vet.
She told me to keep an eye on him and it might just be a one time thing.

***NEW UPDATE: while typing the stuff under 2pm, I got a phone call from the vet saying that everything is excellent his blood pee and poop results are all healthy.
That's fantastic news indeed.***

He's been as usual today chillin around the house, he pooped, peed, sipped water, and ate like normal.

CONCLUSION:
As far as possible triggers, here's a real kicker.
About a month ago on a day I was off, I also took him to the store.
He got a little foamy from the mouth the moment we entered the store.
This only lasted like 30 seconds, he was standing up, no shaking then just stopped.
I didn't think much of it as it has never happened before.
Now I think he was about to have a seizure.

Could the excitement of going to the store coupled with the car ride and heat be a legit contender for a seizure?
I always do proper procedure and am responsible with keeping him cool and comfortable as always for the past 4 years.

Anyways, thank you for anyone that is still reading along here.
I just want advice/suggestions/guidance about this.

Here he is my little boy today sunny

Hey ya'll, it's been a long time. It's about Mylo..and a life update.  Img_3110

Hey ya'll, it's been a long time. It's about Mylo..and a life update.  Img_9210

Hey ya'll, it's been a long time. It's about Mylo..and a life update.  Img_6710

And this was yesterday while getting that air action on the table

Hey ya'll, it's been a long time. It's about Mylo..and a life update.  Img_5310
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/davecerv
dvflyer
Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: Hey ya'll, it's been a long time. It's about Mylo..and a life update.    Hey ya'll, it's been a long time. It's about Mylo..and a life update.  EmptySun Jul 14, 2019 11:04 am

Must have been scary.  I assume this was a seizure.  Anecdotally, I've heard eliminating of all carbs from a diet can help with seizures - in people and dogs.  Not just "grain free" as they can still contain carbs.  This would require a change of diet to a raw diet.

Best wishes.

Last edited by dvflyer on Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Hey ya'll, it's been a long time. It's about Mylo..and a life update.    Hey ya'll, it's been a long time. It's about Mylo..and a life update.  EmptyMon Jul 15, 2019 10:15 am

I don't know if my mind would go to the excitement triggering it first. Makes me more wonder if there isn't something new they are using to clean the store or if they have some kind of deodorizers that might be triggering it. You may try going to the store but not going in so quick. Make him sit in the car a bit and then walk a few times around outside the store and see how he acts. In theory he should start having trouble before he gets in if it's the excitement.

Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Hey ya'll, it's been a long time. It's about Mylo..and a life update.    Hey ya'll, it's been a long time. It's about Mylo..and a life update.  EmptyTue Jul 16, 2019 12:00 am

My first thoughts were pretty much what Jenn said, something in the store, a floor cleaner (I read awhile back that floor cleaners such as the popular Swiffer brand floor cleaners could cause seizures) , but I then wondered if they'd not show up in Mylo's blood tests either as a toxin or as an organ like the kidneys or liver being taxed. Mylo's blood tests were very soon after his seizure so I had thought they'd have shown something in that regard. Does anybody know if the blood tests would be that conclusive or not? I also wondered about Mylo not being exactly a small dog, where something in the store would affect him *that* fast. If he was a poodle or something similar in size, I could maybe understand it more but Mylo is like 56lbs. I don't know, it's just all very scary.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Hey ya'll, it's been a long time. It's about Mylo..and a life update.    Hey ya'll, it's been a long time. It's about Mylo..and a life update.  EmptyTue Jul 16, 2019 12:50 pm

It could be something as simple as the frequency of the light. At least in humans, there is photosensitive seizures. I have migraine triggered by light.
Back to top Go down
Shepsky13
Teenager
Teenager
Shepsky13

Male Join date : 2017-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Hey ya'll, it's been a long time. It's about Mylo..and a life update.    Hey ya'll, it's been a long time. It's about Mylo..and a life update.  EmptyTue Jul 16, 2019 11:42 pm

This is probably very misleading and anecdotal, but my friend (human) has seizures...
She does get more of them during times of stress or when she is tired.

She has medication which controls the seizures...the meds have some unpleasant side-effects like drowsiness. I know they have seizure meds for dogs too, but I think your vet is right to wait and see if Mylo actually needs treatment or if this was just a strange unusual event...

She is also not allowed to drive. In Mylo's case, this might not be a concern? :-)
Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: Hey ya'll, it's been a long time. It's about Mylo..and a life update.    Hey ya'll, it's been a long time. It's about Mylo..and a life update.  EmptyTue Jul 23, 2019 10:13 pm

wow, that's scary, thank goodness he is doing better. i wonder that the store is using to keep it clean. or if they are using any plugins scented oils.
Back to top Go down
davecerv
Adult
Adult
davecerv

PostSubject: Re: Hey ya'll, it's been a long time. It's about Mylo..and a life update.    Hey ya'll, it's been a long time. It's about Mylo..and a life update.  EmptyFri Jul 26, 2019 8:54 pm

Greetings everyone!

It's been two weeks since the incident.
Mylo has been great as usual sunny

After going thru all the theories, I never thought about cleaning materials and how that could affect him.
It would be strange if it was that especially affecting him so quickly after entering the store.
We will never know what exactly caused this, but I just know I'll never be taking him to that store or any store ever again. I would like to try your theory @Twisterll (calming him down/not going in so quick) but I don't even want to risk trying that.

I have also considered the tooth paste (gel) to maybe be a potential cause because I brushed his teeth an hour before going to the store. I normally brush them at night before bed. That wouldn't make sense though, but its just been a thought.

I switched him to a flea topical (I was so nervous about that because he's always been on a pill).

As far as car rides, he used to be so good when he was younger, but then as he gets older, too much highway time seems to get him a bit unsteady.

Admittedly, I've been spoiling him (responsibly) a bit more with new treats for him to try and even more love bounce
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Hey ya'll, it's been a long time. It's about Mylo..and a life update.    Hey ya'll, it's been a long time. It's about Mylo..and a life update.  EmptySat Jul 27, 2019 8:25 pm

@Davecerv it's good to see you back but not so good to see the reason you came back ... and I know for nothing about seizures so I've stayed out of this conversation.
I do have one comment, it would be odd - in my mind - that the cleaning materials at the store would affect only Mylo. I'd think they would have tested and ruled out anything that might be questionable.

Anyway, I just wanted to say "Hi!"

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
sibmom
Newborn
Newborn
sibmom

PostSubject: Re: Hey ya'll, it's been a long time. It's about Mylo..and a life update.    Hey ya'll, it's been a long time. It's about Mylo..and a life update.  EmptyFri Aug 02, 2019 6:09 pm

The toothpaste is for a canine right?
Back to top Go down
davecerv
Adult
Adult
davecerv

PostSubject: Re: Hey ya'll, it's been a long time. It's about Mylo..and a life update.    Hey ya'll, it's been a long time. It's about Mylo..and a life update.  EmptyFri Aug 02, 2019 8:34 pm

@aljones
I agree with the cleaning material comment, it's just trying to find anything that could possibly be a cause. However, I have now come to terms that I'll never know exactly why it happened.
He's been doing great!

I've really been considering changing his food to The Honest Kitchen.
Ever since I switched him to a salmon recipe food, he has been going to town with his back leg, chewing and biting to the point where he whines as well as an itchy ear. Of course, my first thought is ahh crap he has fleas, which was making me mad because that would mean the new flea topical isnt working (I recently made the switch from Trifexis to Advantage Multi).
I haven't seen any fleas on him, I know how it is when he has fleas since he went through it as a younger pup. I'm sure its the salmon, he might be allergic to it. I haven't fed him that salmon food for the past three days and he hasn't been overly itchy!
He's been on WholeHearted Boiled Chicken cans that I keep stock to give him sometimes and the chicken recipe he was on and he hasnt been attacking his leg...very interesting.
I changed the recipe because he was very uninterested in the chicken kibble. He does eat the salmon recipe better, but it's not doing him good. (kibble is from Merrick's Limited Ingredient line)

Ever since the incident I've been spoiling him a little more and switching him to THK would be a continuation of this deeper spoiling..but also cause it seems really great.

@sibmom
Yes, in fact its "Vet's Best Dental Gel".
Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: Hey ya'll, it's been a long time. It's about Mylo..and a life update.    Hey ya'll, it's been a long time. It's about Mylo..and a life update.  EmptySun Aug 11, 2019 3:04 pm

i tried grandma Lucy with Leo when we were looking for new food back in February last year. he didn't like the texture of the food, cause it looked like a paste. i think he's autistic.
only natural pet has a dehydrated dog food, i have seen some pics that doesn't look like paste when its made, but not to sure.
Back to top Go down
Windfishin
Puppy
Puppy
Windfishin

PostSubject: Re: Hey ya'll, it's been a long time. It's about Mylo..and a life update.    Hey ya'll, it's been a long time. It's about Mylo..and a life update.  EmptySat Aug 17, 2019 2:23 pm

Dave, see my thread "Lachlan had a seizure" if you want to see my notes. He just had his fourth.
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Hey ya'll, it's been a long time. It's about Mylo..and a life update.    Hey ya'll, it's been a long time. It's about Mylo..and a life update.  EmptySat Aug 17, 2019 2:41 pm

I just switched from Merrick and earthborn to essence after my gsd chewed all his nails off and 2 bald bloody irritated elbows
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hey ya'll, it's been a long time. It's about Mylo..and a life update.    Hey ya'll, it's been a long time. It's about Mylo..and a life update.  Empty

Back to top Go down

Hey ya'll, it's been a long time. It's about Mylo..and a life update.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1