It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Hello! New to the group....

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
wmcpherson
Newborn
Newborn

Hello! New to the group.... Empty
PostSubject: Hello! New to the group....   Hello! New to the group.... EmptyWed Jun 10, 2020 7:44 pm

Hi! I'm new to this group and new to owning a Siberian Husky. Rescued our Luna almost a year ago. She is estimated to be between 4 - 5 years old and was in heat when we got her. Had a cesarean scar and was very skittish from abuse. Very malnourished. We think she was dumped by a breeder after deemed of no use. Proud to say we have her up to weight and she is feeling loved and not as skittish. We are absolutely in love with this breed and are thinking of getting a Siberian puppy. Any tips or advice would be appreciated. We've never had a puppy and Luna is the first dog for our family.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Hello! New to the group....   Hello! New to the group.... EmptyThu Jun 11, 2020 11:00 am

Look into rescues, they sometimes get puppies, or pregnant females that have been dumped that have puppies while with them. If going through a breeder look for a breeder who is reputable and not someone who just has a couple AKC registered dogs they think are pretty. See this thread for the signs of a reputable breeder. How to find a Reputable Breeder

I would suggest getting right to crate training from the start. It's much easier to get them into a routine of being crate trained while they are young than waiting until the teen years when they start trying to eat your couch and counter surfing every time you leave for work.

Often it is best to introduce new dog to old dog on neutral territory. With a puppy who is too young for most shots you will need to be careful about the selection of ground. You don't want it to be a place that puts your puppy at risk. If Luna is easy going about newbies in her home then this might be less important, but sometimes it goes smoother if they meet away from home and then migrate back.

My experience has been that females do better with males, but that's just my personal experience with my female. I can add a male to the pack but not another female. Again, that goes back to Luna and her tolerance and experience around other dogs.

Be mindful that a puppy can't keep up with Luna so you will need time to do separate walks and training.

Welcome to the forum!

Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Hello! New to the group....   Hello! New to the group.... EmptyThu Jun 11, 2020 1:16 pm

I agree with the dont have multiple females. Spider has shown issues with females and well squirt cant be near any animals but my 2 boys are fine together and with other dogs. Not sure your location but if your willing to wait chances are you can find a husky puppy at a rescue.

None of my dogs are rescues. Spider i paid alot of money for, squirt came from Navajo nation, shadow failed out of the airforce, and splinter was owned by some meth heads, they got in a big fight cops came guy went to jail for dv and parole violations and they just left splinter. The neighbor went and got him and i ended up with him. And he was only about 6 weeks when i got him. I understand the altruistic sense of adopting a rescue but i also understand getting exactly what you want. Colorado is a great place to look for huskies in rescue groups.

Anyway welcome to the forum cant wait to see pics of luna
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello! New to the group....   Hello! New to the group.... Empty

Back to top Go down

Hello! New to the group....

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1