It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Ami suddenly not going out at night

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

Ami suddenly not going out at night Empty
PostSubject: Ami suddenly not going out at night   Ami suddenly not going out at night EmptyFri Jul 14, 2023 11:36 pm

For years, our habit had been to give Ami a bone in the evening to gnaw on outside while we watch the news and movies.

Welp. Last night and tonight, does not want to go outside, instead goes over to his blanket and looks fearful. Last night, her was hesitant so I threw the bone out into the yard ( a game he likes.) He ran to it, brought it back to the grass between the 4 runner and the rhododendrons along the house. Then he stood there, peering off into the dark. Very wary. So i called him him, he snatched his bone and came inside to his blanket. A bit later i noticed the radar was showing a thunderstorm cell off to our east south east, the direction he was staring. I figured that was it but tonight, no storms at all and he still won't go out, looks spooked. Then i remember a few days ago, he came frantically to the back door, ringing the bell multiple times and exploded into the house when I opened the door. I have no clue. Could be storms. Could be fireworks. Could be bear or coyote. Maybe his right is failing?

Don't know but I'm going to respect his reticence. I figure he knows something that is do not.
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Ami suddenly not going out at night   Ami suddenly not going out at night EmptySat Jul 15, 2023 1:35 am

Mine do that every once and awhile when big cats are around. I know you dont have lynx but any chance of a really big bobcat or a lion? I know they coydogwolves run around ny and most of the east coast. Mine chase the bears.

If your worried about his sight watch his tracking and see if it changes as the light changes. With shadow we noticed he started missing the ball when we would play catch followed by bumping into things at night or dimmly lit rooms. Interesting was with shadow and the pra that the barometric pressure had an effect on his vision which actually kind of makes sense of it was brought on by storms.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Ami suddenly not going out at night   Ami suddenly not going out at night EmptySat Jul 15, 2023 12:23 pm

In the past, Ami has chased a bear - that was when they were logging the property behind us. About 1800' up the road. That is all woods for a mile or two, I'm thinking the living pushed the bear out of it's normal range. Though my be hives might have something to do with it. Haven't seen anything since i out up electric fence around the hives. But for several years before the logging, the hives weren't touched. And Ami and Archer went crazy over the bear - fortunately they stayed within the invisible fence boundary and the two dogs going crazy pacing the boundary line kept the bear on the other side of the boundary line, each trying to figure out how to get to their goal. Neither made it - bear could get to the hives because of dogs and dogs couldn't get to beat because of their fence collars.

As for vision - after reading your post, i realized Ami had no trouble going directly to where I toss his bone. I'm thinking now, it's a reaction to both fireworks season and lots of small thunderstorms. People in my local fb weather group were talking about small localized storms last night. They seemed far away on radar but i suppose dogs have better hearing and sight than I so who knows. Probably not coyotes since loads of deer very comfortable in the field across the road. I've not seen a bobcat or lynx except once in 36 years here and that was long, long ago. No big cats. Guess I'll just provide s towel for him to eat his bone on an throw it in the wash. Until he decides it's safe to go out again. Won't be tonight. More thunderstorms.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Ami suddenly not going out at night   Ami suddenly not going out at night EmptyMon Jul 17, 2023 9:07 am

Avalanche is "scared to death" of thunder so when he crawls under my stool I just assume there's "fireworks" in the air somewhere. I'll see the lightening reflected off the clouds but it obvious he hears the thunder (when he's under my stool there's no chance he can see the lightening) which is often in the range of 40-50 miles away.

If I were a betting man, I'd be putting my money on that combination of fireworks and thunderstorms.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Ami suddenly not going out at night   Ami suddenly not going out at night EmptyMon Jul 17, 2023 9:51 am

The only thing that has ever spooked Kye is a mountain lion. He is cautious of bears but mountain lions he will pump the brakes for.

As kenzi has aged and the diabetes has set in her eye sight has diminished considerably. She doesn't go out as often at night or stay out as long. She used to go out on cooler nights and would be out all night, now she will go out if she desperately needs to pee and then she comes back in shortly after. It could be a combination of things, eye sight is going so he is less brave of things that once didn't bother him when it gets darker. He may still see well enough in the dark and would be willing to chase large game in the full light, but he may not have the confidence in the dark to not get snuck up on.

Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Ami suddenly not going out at night   Ami suddenly not going out at night EmptyMon Jul 17, 2023 11:35 am

Welp. Today he alerted me to an intruder in the back yard. He never alerts to anything, only once years ago on a trip when i was walking him late at night and a rather threatening individually started walking towards us. Oh. And that time at an ice cream stand with the half sized statue of a horse. So today? I hear the bark that i never hear, go running out.

There's high profile floats in the pool that i put out for the first time yesterday and forgot to remove😂
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Ami suddenly not going out at night   Ami suddenly not going out at night EmptyTue Jul 18, 2023 2:01 am

Hahaha... spider has been giving the intruder alert quite frequently lately. Her and splinter are determined to get the pack rat that has a tunnel entrance at the edge of the concrete in the fenced area. They are way too impatient to be good hunters. Ironically usually its shadow that catches them and eats them. His arthritis slows him down way more then being blind does.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Ami suddenly not going out at night   Ami suddenly not going out at night EmptyTue Jul 18, 2023 9:39 am

Well, at the least the pool floats aren't likely to eat him even if he might think they will. lol

Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Ami suddenly not going out at night   Ami suddenly not going out at night EmptyThu Sep 28, 2023 11:29 am

Welp. As suddenly as he stopped going out at night, he is now staying outside most of the time. Comes inside at night only because I insist. Goes out after breakfast and sleeps under the rhodos. Comes in for dinner - his AND ours 'cause Dad likes to share. Once he gets his bone at night, he's out til I call him in. We'll see what happens as we get closer to hunting season and people start target shooting.
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Ami suddenly not going out at night   Ami suddenly not going out at night EmptyThu Sep 28, 2023 11:45 am

He is afraid of guns? Hunting season is on here. Mine could care less about guns or fireworks or any explosions. For whatever reason squirt has started being reactive to low flying helicopters when they are in groups. They seem to hate some niose i cant hear that happens when they change the rotor position in the vertical takeoff things. I wont call it a chopper or a plane because its kind of both.

I have been having to force mine in at night. They really want to hunt ground squirrels in the wood pile. I just find it odd that i have seen a lynx, not sure if its more then 1 or the same one on the side of our house 5 of the last 7 nights. More worried about splinter getting eaten. I dont know if spider can take a lynx but i dont want to find out. People go years without seeing one which makes me wonder what is going on with the wildlife superhighway that cuts through my yard.

Maybe he heard wolves and thought new friends. I just read about how they are being seen in upstate ny.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ami suddenly not going out at night   Ami suddenly not going out at night Empty

Back to top Go down

Ami suddenly not going out at night

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1