It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Hyper for about 30 minutes...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Male Join date : 2011-05-15

Hyper for about 30 minutes... Empty
PostSubject: Hyper for about 30 minutes...   Hyper for about 30 minutes... EmptySun May 22, 2011 7:51 pm

So, two days with Appa and things are better than I imagined, and not as good as I hoped (wishful thinking).

He's a really well behaved guy, and we've kept him pretty tuckered out. He sleeps or lays on the ground almost all day we are in the house. We've gone on about two-four walks and had two-three 20 minute leash training/play sessions per day. But at about the same time both days (7:30pm) he goes nuts!

Last night we were out playing in a big open park, had been for about 5 minutes and then BAM! He started running as fast as he could, in a very different posture than his normal "running and playing" posture. It was flat out speed bullet. Round and round and round then he took off and WHAMMO! End of the leash. I barely caught myself before I fell flat on my face. After that he just came zooming back, round and round and round he ran. He started jumping up and nipping, never hard, just harder than his normal mouthing, and wouldn't listen. (He especially likes to jump up on my wife.)

After a few minutes of that he calmed completely down. The guy we got him from said that every night at about the same time he just started to run around the house as fast as he could in circles. I have a feeling it was around 7:30.

Any ideas why he does it and how we can work on getting him to stop? It's actually a little frightening when a 50lb sucker comes zooming around you, and if he is really Mal. we really need to get him to stop before he's 100lbs zooming around.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Hyper for about 30 minutes...   Hyper for about 30 minutes... EmptySun May 22, 2011 8:07 pm

Ha! If you figure out the secret let me know! Ours does it too and I've just learned to live with it. And just like you, I discovered it a day or two after we adopted our sibe. Unfortunately I did land face first in a ditch filled with stone. No Not pretty and with no one around to help me and a crazy a$$ husky still going nuts on the end of the lead. All I could do was just lay there and hold onto that lead for dear life. Luckily I can laugh about it now.

I just learned how to anticipate and be prepared for the daily crazy husky zoomies.

Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

PostSubject: Re: Hyper for about 30 minutes...   Hyper for about 30 minutes... EmptySun May 22, 2011 8:13 pm

pale
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Hyper for about 30 minutes...   Hyper for about 30 minutes... EmptySun May 22, 2011 8:25 pm

Yep, they have those little crazy spurts for little bit and then they get over it. I love it when they run with with their behinds in though...so funny!
Back to top Go down
Dee&Frankie
Adult
Adult
Dee&Frankie

Female Join date : 2011-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Hyper for about 30 minutes...   Hyper for about 30 minutes... EmptySun May 22, 2011 9:30 pm

Hehe. Ours is about 5:00/5:30 every night, in the house. He runs around the dining room table, leaps over the living room coffee table, jumps on the love seat, then jumps over to the sofa (he will jump right over you if you are sitting there and does this a for a few rounds. And now Bruiser just barks at Frankie and chases him which makes him go even faster. At one point he almost knocked the love seat right over into the window behind it. It doesn't last as long as it used to. I would have to grab him and physically make him calm down because it would go on forever. Now it only last a few rounds and he's done. The boy loves to run.
Yesterday at the husky meet up, Frankie just ran in laps around the park all by himself and then came home and went swimming and went swimming again today......so no laps around the house for another day or two Very Happy
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Hyper for about 30 minutes...   Hyper for about 30 minutes... EmptySun May 22, 2011 9:46 pm

Same here! Sometimes in the evening he will go nuts for about 30 minutes - sometimes more. With our first husky (she did it too!) we would clap our hands and she would fly faster! To be large-ish dogs, they are really quite graceful in the house. Just as Dee described mine will leap furniture while taking laps around the house... all with his butt tucked in that funny position that means "I gotta run!"

Mine have both ignored all humans while this craziness is going on, so we've never had to deal with jumping on us while running.

Back to top Go down
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

PostSubject: Re: Hyper for about 30 minutes...   Hyper for about 30 minutes... EmptyMon May 23, 2011 12:03 am

Oh boy. I hope we can find a happy balance in our home when we can't take him out to go crazy. Tonight we didn't experience it though. I took Appa to meet my boss' dog Rocco. He's an English bulldog. Those two had about an hour of hard play in and Appa conked out the minute we let him.

Tomorrow at work is going to be interesting...
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Hyper for about 30 minutes...   Hyper for about 30 minutes... EmptyMon May 23, 2011 9:26 am

Not for nothing, but my friend has an English bulldog and those suckers are CRAZY full of energy! Petunia (ironic name) is the FIRST DOG to ever EXHAUST Koda. Seriously, Koda was DONE playing and that dog was still going!

And yes... welcome to what we refer to here as "zoomies." Totally normal, and pretty much unavoidable. The only way to get rid of them is to tire the dog out enough before they start so that it never happens. Otherwise, pent up energy will result in zoomies every night.

Welcome to owning a husky/mal!

Hyper for about 30 minutes... Hailey10
Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Hyper for about 30 minutes...   Hyper for about 30 minutes... EmptyMon May 23, 2011 12:52 pm

My Bodhi is a "zoomie" too. But it's not from lack of exercise.
He seems to have problems transitioning, like when he comes in from runs.
We have tried walking him on a lead to his water, and then to his bed to lie down.
But he still starts running like a crazy dog from room to room. I've had it happen on walks or runs too, but there it's usually animal inspired.

Lately we have had some success putting him in his crate for a "time out" until he calms down.
We discovered this by accident when he went into his crate on his own after being admonished to
stop running.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hyper for about 30 minutes...   Hyper for about 30 minutes... Empty

Back to top Go down

Hyper for about 30 minutes...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1