It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Halti collar

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Halti collar Empty
PostSubject: Halti collar   Halti collar EmptyMon Jul 06, 2009 12:49 pm

Sorry I could not remember where we were talking about this but thought I would just start a thread. We got Jack a Halti collar on Friday and used it Friday night and it was amazing, this crazy pulling dog walked like a good boy! He did fight it every now and then but nothing to bad. Then on sat we used it again 2 times and when we want for a walk that night the thing broke, the piece that hooks on the collar split in two. The only thing we could think of was in his fighting back moods he must have gotten his mouth around it and bit it, I also think the size the lady gave us was too big. I returned it yesterday and got a smaller size and he can not get that piece as easily into his mouth now. I walk the two of them together for the first time since Ken left this morning and it was so nice to be able to walk at my pace, and by no means am I a slow walker I like to move but I also like to stand up straight and not have to pull back on the leash as im walking. We will work on training him now and have better hopes of taking him hiking now! Just thought I would share that with everyone.
Back to top Go down
The Dentist
Teenager
Teenager
The Dentist

Female Join date : 2009-05-24

Halti collar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halti collar   Halti collar EmptyMon Jul 06, 2009 3:56 pm

Interesting stuff. Sometimes I worry about having Gunny on the choker.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

Halti collar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halti collar   Halti collar EmptyMon Jul 06, 2009 5:30 pm

YAY! Yeah, the halti works wonders. I need to start training Koda now because I know that he still pulls a ton without it. But it's a great immediate fix because I really hated walking Koda before when he pulled and now it's so pleasurable Smile

Halti collar Hailey10
Back to top Go down
TyphonInc
Puppy
Puppy
TyphonInc

Male Join date : 2009-06-23

Halti collar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halti collar   Halti collar EmptyMon Jul 06, 2009 10:57 pm

Koda wrote:
YAY! Yeah, the halti works wonders. I need to start training Koda now because I know that he still pulls a ton without it. But it's a great immediate fix because I really hated walking Koda before when he pulled and now it's so pleasurable Smile

Ditto. just sub Sinatra for Koda.
Back to top Go down
Ruger
Releaser Pheromone
Ruger

Male Join date : 2009-05-22

Halti collar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halti collar   Halti collar EmptyMon Jul 06, 2009 11:09 pm

Man I really need to look into those because Ruger has a pulling problem...
Back to top Go down
j.gabriel
Puppy
Puppy
j.gabriel

Female Join date : 2011-01-17

Halti collar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halti collar   Halti collar EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 12:13 pm

I find that they work well for pulling, except I had a pretty bad experience with one. I thought that it fit Reiko well, it was snug in both areas around the nose and behind the ears, but some how he got out of it. We were passing someone with two little yappy dogs going crazy, and I don't think that Reiko likes little dogs. In trying to get to the dogs he some how wiggled and wormed his way out of the Halti, luckily I saw that he was out of it before he realized, so he didn't have any little doggies for breakfast Smile Anyway, I have a hard time trusting him with it now. I don't think I've used it since lol.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Halti collar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halti collar   Halti collar EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 12:24 pm

j.gabriel wrote:
I find that they work well for pulling, except I had a pretty bad experience with one. I thought that it fit Reiko well, it was snug in both areas around the nose and behind the ears, but some how he got out of it. We were passing someone with two little yappy dogs going crazy, and I don't think that Reiko likes little dogs. In trying to get to the dogs he some how wiggled and wormed his way out of the Halti, luckily I saw that he was out of it before he realized, so he didn't have any little doggies for breakfast Smile Anyway, I have a hard time trusting him with it now. I don't think I've used it since lol.
Sounds like it was too big for him. Koda's actually a small-medium in a halti and the box labels huskies as a large. What size was it?

Halti collar Hailey10
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Halti collar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halti collar   Halti collar EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 12:52 pm

I have switched to the pinch collar but our halti came with an attachment that hooked to the collar as wall just incase they got out of it.

Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

Halti collar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halti collar   Halti collar EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 4:48 pm

we use the halti, i love it, i can't wait embry and zoey together unless embry has it on lol
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

Halti collar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halti collar   Halti collar EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 10:21 pm

I saw a husky with this on about 2 months ago and the girl told me that it worked great, but i was like ummm ok if you say so..lol. It seems that it does work though. I think I might need one for Kody when he gets a little bigger. He's going to be 5 months next week and he's starting to pull already!
Back to top Go down
Lokipaws
Puppy
Puppy
Lokipaws

Female Join date : 2010-12-27

Halti collar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halti collar   Halti collar EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 11:59 pm

I use a halti for my dog coal and have been for a long time. I know they say its a training tool but I use it for walks or if we go out. I like having the control over his face if that makes sense. He is a very well behaved dog but he will still pull if he is on his regular collar. The halti is awesome! I might eventually get one for loki.
Back to top Go down
j.gabriel
Puppy
Puppy
j.gabriel

Female Join date : 2011-01-17

Halti collar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halti collar   Halti collar EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 10:47 am

Koda wrote:

Sounds like it was too big for him. Koda's actually a small-medium in a halti and the box labels huskies as a large. What size was it?

It was an older one that I used on my Lab mix about 6 or so years ago, so it didn't have the attachment. I'm not sure of the size, I think it was a medium, because before I used that I had bought the Large Halti with the attachment, and Reiko chewed it off because it was so big on him lol.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Halti collar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halti collar   Halti collar EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 12:38 pm

This is a great thread and not to be the negative person on this but be aware how to fit and use a head collar properly. Just like with a check chain or prong collar, there is a right and wrong way to use head collars and it is also extremely important to have it fitted properly to prevent dogs from pulling out of it and learning to pull in it.

I hate to be the dark cloud but be advised that head collars are training aids, not a permanent solution. Many dogs, with long term head collar use, actually learn how to pull even on a head collar. This a problem that my aunt has discovered with her 130+ lb Akita.

Another important note is proper use. I've seen plenty of people with their dogs on a head collar who still continue to pull and then their owners decide to issue a further correction by pulling or yanking back on the lead. Definite NO NO. Head collars (if properly fitted) issue a "correction" every time the dog pulls by basically pulling the head down and/or around which is not desirable to the dog or it wouldn't work. One should never yank or pull back on the lead when it's connected to the head collar as it can cause serious damage. I remember a person who almost brought me to tears when they held a lead connected to their dogs halti over the persons head to "control" their overly enthusiastic dog. Poor dogs neck was extended as far back as it could go and it's snout pointing straight up at the sky because of their sick owner. Did their dog do anything to deserve it? Absolutely not, the dog just wanted to meet my dogs. No Just a prime example of the vast number of people who do not know how to use a head collar properly.

When training your dog to loose leash walk with a head collar I would use both the head collar and regular collar or harness, whichever you prefer to use long term. You can use 2 leads, one attached to the head collar which will be slightly longer and the other attached to the regular collar/harness. If you can, try to only use the lead attached to the regular collar but each time they start pulling then switch over to the head collar. When pulling stops you can let the head collar lead go slack and continue walking on the regular lead. If pulling still continues even with the head collar or if the dog just doesn't learn then I would try stopping the walk altogether each time they pull. These dogs are very smart and are fully capable of learning, it just takes a lot of time and an extreme amount of patience.

Another thing of note is that many people will assume a dog in a head collar is aggressive. Just something I noticed from casual observation and experience. I've noticed people are more hesitant and less likely to pet or approach a dog in a head collar than one in a regular collar or harness. But that might be a good thing if you prefer to scare people away or don't want people approaching to pet your dog.

While I do believe head collars can make good tools when used properly I would consider them as a second choice for correcting pulling behavior. They are good tools and I consider them better and safer than check chains, pinch collars, and e-collars, however they do have drawbacks like anything. One is that it does put pressure on the back of the head which can be uncomfortable and even hazardous if fitted too tight. The other reason is that it goes over their face which is a sensitive area. I've seen a lot of dogs suffer damage to their eyes (from improper fitting) and damage to the bridge of their muzzle from too much use. I would try training with an anti-pull harness before resorting to a head collar, check chain, or prong collar but that is just my personal opinion.

And a final note, there are a few different head collars on the market. Mainly the Halti, Gentle Leader, and the Canny collar. I personally think the Canny collar design is the best of the choices and would recommend them over the others. They are more expensive and all the designs work to an extent but I think the Canny collar design has one over the rest. Just my two cents.

FWIW, I have a Halti and have used it twice in the 3 years I've had it. I only use it for situations where I must have absolute control over my sibe, such as when we are descending a rocky mountain and one out of control jerk from my sibe could send us both to our deaths. For training my steam train of a puller sibe, I used a "stop and go" method and it may have taken months to teach him to loose leash walk but in the end we were successful. As for sizing, my Halti is a size 3 (the size recommended for labs, dobermans, dalmatians, GSDs, huskies, etc).

Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

Halti collar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halti collar   Halti collar EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 1:30 pm

There's another training harness (for lack of better term) that you attach the leash to something that goes across the chest...what is that one called? I heard that is also a good training tool?

Huskyluv

Halti collar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halti collar   Halti collar EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 2:40 pm

There's an Easy Walk harness that attaches the lead in the front/chest area. It's made by the same people who make the Gentle Leader head collar I believe.

Halti collar EWH_Pkg0808

Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

Halti collar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halti collar   Halti collar EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 3:08 pm

Thanks Val!

Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

Halti collar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halti collar   Halti collar EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 9:22 pm

Last edited by Here4thePics on Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

Halti collar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halti collar   Halti collar EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 9:26 pm

Last edited by Here4thePics on Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Halti collar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halti collar   Halti collar EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 9:28 pm

Here4thePics wrote:
Huskyluv wrote:
There's an Easy Walk harness that attaches the lead in the front/chest area. It's made by the same people who make the Gentle Leader head collar I believe.

[img]http://www.premier.com/App_Content/media/easywalk/EWH_Pkg0808.jpg[img]

I bought that exact harness for Biko & Adobo. The 1st one broke in the week one and the other that was for Biko didn't do a heck of a lot a good after he learned to defeat the purpose of it.
I feel like Koda would walk and pull backwards just to spite me with this. He practically does with the head collar. Haha.

Halti collar Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

Halti collar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halti collar   Halti collar EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 9:46 pm

Here4thePics wrote:
I bought that exact harness for Biko & Adobo. The 1st one broke in the week one and the other that was for Biko didn't do a heck of a lot a good after he learned to defeat the purpose of it.

I know people who have complained of the head collars breaking on them too so I'd be careful whether you use a head collar or harness. One of them who had a head collar break on their sibe was a former forum member. And she did get her sibe back if you missed or don't remember her talking about it a while back.

Puppy
Puppy
Lokipaws

Female Join date : 2010-12-27

Halti collar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halti collar   Halti collar EmptyFri Jan 21, 2011 2:05 am

Also another thing to be aware of is IF you do own a doberman you should NOT use a halti or any type of head collar on this breed. Its very bad for their neck and can permanently damage their neck. Its also not recommended for sight hounds like greyhounds ect.

I use one for coal but I NEVER have to yank him he walks very politely on a leash ^_^
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

Halti collar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halti collar   Halti collar EmptyFri Jan 21, 2011 3:46 am

we also used the easy walk harness, went through i believe four before we gave up. Embry figured out how to move his legs the right way to loosen the adjuster, only took him a day for that. the other times he ate it when no one was looking.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

Halti collar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halti collar   Halti collar EmptyFri Jan 21, 2011 6:43 am

Has anyone tried any other brand/version of no pull harness? There are plenty of others out there that don't clip to the chest area. Again though, head collars and no pull harnesses are not there to magically fix the pulling, they are there to help with loose leash training. I personally think these aides are not even really necessary except for the most extreme cases where absolute control is vital for safety reasons but for training, they just seem to make it more confusing for the dog...basically teaching them it's not okay to pull in one device but anything else is fair game. IMO that's more time consuming and harder to train that just going diving head first into loose leash walking on a normal collar or harness. You may not be able to take decent walks for a few months but if pulling happens the walk stops, end of story and no sibe wants their walk to end. Believe me it's frustrating and it's hard work and it may take you an hour or more to walk the block and it may take months to finally get a loose leash trained dog but in the end it's worth it and you don't have to train it twice (once with the training aide/head collar and then again in a normal collar/harness).

If people are concerned about the length of time it takes to loose leash train then have a look around at people who are still using the head collar months and even years later because they've used it as a crutch and their dogs still haven't learned. I don't mean to knock head collars or training aides, they do work and I believe in them BUT more often than not they are not used for training and rather become a permanent crutch to replace the vital training their dogs should be getting from the moment they come home. If I didn't believe in head collars I wouldn't have one, but I've used mine twice in the 3 yrs I've had it and I trained my sibe to walk on a loose leash in a normal harness. It's possible when you put in the time and effort.

Teenager
Teenager
Titus&Lycan

Female Join date : 2012-06-26

Halti collar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halti collar   Halti collar EmptySun Jul 22, 2012 1:26 am

I use the Halti on Titus since he was 8 months old. He walks really nice in it. But now at 15 months old, I think he got used to it. He pulls a lot when he sees another dog. I don't really like the sudden jerks when he pulls, fearing it might cause injury on his neck.
We just enrolled in a new training ground where all dogs are required to use the check chain collar. I tried it today. The quick check and release chain sound seems to get Titus to focus.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

Halti collar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halti collar   Halti collar EmptySun Jul 22, 2012 1:50 am

I use the wiggles, wags and whisker no pull. It's got a martingale style back, and we do not clip in front, all thought that is an option. Both the dogs use it and although it doesn't cure the pulling, it does give me more control and it doesn't hurt the,.

We have had really good luck with it:

http://www.wiggleswagswhiskers.com/newsite/no-pull-harness.htm
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Sponsored content

Halti collar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halti collar   Halti collar Empty

Back to top Go down

Halti collar

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next