It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Harnesses vs. regular collar vs. pincher collar vs. choker collar.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
OvernHusky
Newborn
Newborn
OvernHusky

Female Join date : 2012-12-15

Harnesses vs. regular collar vs. pincher collar vs. choker collar. Empty
PostSubject: Harnesses vs. regular collar vs. pincher collar vs. choker collar.   Harnesses vs. regular collar vs. pincher collar vs. choker collar. EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 4:07 am

I'm trying to figure out the best, and most effective way of training my puppy, Gracie Loo, to walk with me and not be all over the place. I would like to get a harness, because I intend on taking her hiking and camping and such in the future and feel that a harness would me more comfortable on the trails.

But, I want to know the pros and cons to each one. There is always pros and cons on these things. I would also like to know past experiences. All of this information, I believe, will not only be helpful for me in choosing the appropriate apparatus, but, it will help others in the future.

Thank you.
b.
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

Male Join date : 2012-12-06

PostSubject: Re: Harnesses vs. regular collar vs. pincher collar vs. choker collar.   Harnesses vs. regular collar vs. pincher collar vs. choker collar. EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 4:28 am

These are just general explanations. No one thing will definitely work for you for sure.

Harness that clips in front: A front clip harness is a good tool to stop a dog that pulls from doing so, because pulling the leash tight causes them to be turned around. It is also good for when you have to give a tug to coax them to come along in the early times. Its a harness, so it isn't stressing the neck.

Harness, back clip: Harnesses that clip in the back are good for when you start teaching a dog to pull, or if your dog pulls unwantedly, and you have no intentions of correcting it, since it won't put pressure on your dogs neck. Before your dog really pulls weight though, you need a specific pulling harness, which is custom fit to the dog.

Regular collar: these are for dogs that won't need much correction on lead. My well trained dogs with leash manners walk with regular collars. When you pull on a regular collar its just sstraight pressure on the neck.

Choke collars: First, know how to properly use it, or you'll just hurt the dog. Choke collars are good for dogs that will only need minor reminders to behave on a walk. When you give a quick tug, the collar tightens and re-loosens and reminds the dog to pay attention, as it is minorly unpleasant

Pinch collars: if your dog is quite out of control, aggressive, etc, you may need a pinch collar. Again, know how to use one first. These tighten barbs that pinch the dogs neck. In theory your dog stops trying to fight, pull, etc quickly because it doesn't like the pinch.

For a puppy, id get a harness with a front clip to start.
Back to top Go down
OvernHusky
Newborn
Newborn
OvernHusky

PostSubject: Re: Harnesses vs. regular collar vs. pincher collar vs. choker collar.   Harnesses vs. regular collar vs. pincher collar vs. choker collar. EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 4:47 am

WOW! This is very helpful information. Thank you kindly.
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

PostSubject: Re: Harnesses vs. regular collar vs. pincher collar vs. choker collar.   Harnesses vs. regular collar vs. pincher collar vs. choker collar. EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 4:50 am

We do what we can. Everyone on here is a wealth of information, that is happy to let you tap in. At least everyone I've encountered has been!
Back to top Go down
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

Female Join date : 2012-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Harnesses vs. regular collar vs. pincher collar vs. choker collar.   Harnesses vs. regular collar vs. pincher collar vs. choker collar. EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 6:21 am

I'm a harness girl.
I used a back clip harness for training Freya to walk on a lead, before she got too strong to pull me along.
Now she's too powerful and I use an anti-pull harness that puts pressure on the chest to make it unconfortable for her when she pulls. She's now a dream to walk.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/For-the-Love-of-Readi
OvernHusky
Newborn
Newborn
OvernHusky

PostSubject: Re: Harnesses vs. regular collar vs. pincher collar vs. choker collar.   Harnesses vs. regular collar vs. pincher collar vs. choker collar. EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 6:24 pm

Anti-pull harness? I think that may be what Gracie is going to need. FYI, I posted some pics of her in my welcome thread.
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Harnesses vs. regular collar vs. pincher collar vs. choker collar.   Harnesses vs. regular collar vs. pincher collar vs. choker collar. EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 6:29 pm

I got two questions... Are there any harnesses that have a clip for the front and back? And also.. How do sizes work on harnesses.. I wanna buy one for my pup but i wasnt sure how fast he would grow out of it.. If i get one for when he is 8 weeks what size should i get and about how long will it last
Back to top Go down
OvernHusky
Newborn
Newborn
OvernHusky

PostSubject: Re: Harnesses vs. regular collar vs. pincher collar vs. choker collar.   Harnesses vs. regular collar vs. pincher collar vs. choker collar. EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 6:46 pm

Ericobeasto wrote:
I got two questions... Are there any harnesses that have a clip for the front and back? And also.. How do sizes work on harnesses.. I wanna buy one for my pup but i wasnt sure how fast he would grow out of it.. If i get one for when he is 8 weeks what size should i get and about how long will it last

Good questions!! I'm curious as to these answers as well.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Harnesses vs. regular collar vs. pincher collar vs. choker collar.   Harnesses vs. regular collar vs. pincher collar vs. choker collar. EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 6:56 pm

If you get a harness at 8 weeks the pup will most likely have outgrown it by it's first growth spurt as an 8 week old puppy would most likely need to be in a size equivalent to a small 10-15 pound dog.

I had a medium sized harness for Bella that she didn't even fit into until she was about 5 months old and it never actually fit her properly. Right now she's in a 20"-32" (she's also done growing) Lupine harness until I can order her a custom X-back for joring since she won't be growing out of it for me to replace.

Measuring:
http://www.alpineoutfitters.net/secure/UserMods/HarnessMeasure.asp

Harnesses vs. regular collar vs. pincher collar vs. choker collar. Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

PostSubject: Re: Harnesses vs. regular collar vs. pincher collar vs. choker collar.   Harnesses vs. regular collar vs. pincher collar vs. choker collar. EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 7:01 pm

I believe there are harnesses with two clip places. My housemate has one that can be used that way, but I'm not sure that it was made with that in mind.. Ill take a pic later.

The best way to size a harness is to go to the pet store and size the harness. Puppies probably need a toy/small size harness, and they will probably grow out of it quickly.

Also, sizing may depend on brand, some use a measurement range, not S,M,L etc.
Look up how to take your dogs measurements, because pulling specific harnesses, like x backs are custom fit to your dog, so in the long run, its good to know how to measure.
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

PostSubject: Re: Harnesses vs. regular collar vs. pincher collar vs. choker collar.   Harnesses vs. regular collar vs. pincher collar vs. choker collar. EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 8:09 pm

http://www.amazon.com/Rogz-Reflective-H-Harness-Straightjacket-Adjustable/dp/B002HEXRN4/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1355782056&sr=8-12&keywords=dog+harness
Ok i found this on amazon.. is this a good harness for a 8 week old puppy to teach him not to pull? i will get a nicer harness for pulling when he is full grown, and another harness when he is full grown if he needs one still for when i dont want him to pull on walks, but would this work for what i am looking for? and if so what size should i get for a 8 week old puppy
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

PostSubject: Re: Harnesses vs. regular collar vs. pincher collar vs. choker collar.   Harnesses vs. regular collar vs. pincher collar vs. choker collar. EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 8:13 pm

That is roughly what Leevon uses for Locca. It worked well for us. You want toy/small for sure. Puppies are tiny. Jut be prepared for him to grow out of it before he's probably even trained.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: Harnesses vs. regular collar vs. pincher collar vs. choker collar.   Harnesses vs. regular collar vs. pincher collar vs. choker collar. EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 8:16 pm

I personally wouldn't even get/use a harness for an 8 week old. They can easily be taught on a flat collar to walk very well on loose leash because 8 week old puppies are ridiculously pliable. (technically the best thing you can do at such a young age for a puppy is just reward them fro being with you on or off leash)

But if you're deadset on a harness for such a young puppy I'm sure that would work.

Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

PostSubject: Re: Harnesses vs. regular collar vs. pincher collar vs. choker collar.   Harnesses vs. regular collar vs. pincher collar vs. choker collar. EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 8:22 pm

Niraya wrote:
I personally wouldn't even get/use a harness for an 8 week old. They can easily be taught on a flat collar to walk very well on loose leash because 8 week old puppies are ridiculously pliable. (technically the best thing you can do at such a young age for a puppy is just reward them fro being with you on or off leash)

But if you're deadset on a harness for such a young puppy I'm sure that would work.

Another thing is that if you are planning on teaching them to pull in a harness later, it might not be beneficial to teach them to heel beside you on a harness... I specifically haven't put Panzer in a harness for walks because later I want to teach her to skijor.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: Harnesses vs. regular collar vs. pincher collar vs. choker collar.   Harnesses vs. regular collar vs. pincher collar vs. choker collar. EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 8:25 pm

Bella walks in Harness because she's trained to pull BUT she knows the difference between "walking" leash and "working" leash. Just as she knows the difference between her "working" collar and her "walking" of "every day" collar.

I also trained Bella to pull in harness before training her to walk in harness.

Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

PostSubject: Re: Harnesses vs. regular collar vs. pincher collar vs. choker collar.   Harnesses vs. regular collar vs. pincher collar vs. choker collar. EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 8:27 pm

Niraya wrote:

You guys both made good points... maybe i wont.. cause i do want him to pull in the future.. i saved the link to that alpine outfiters site.. it seems really cool.. its cheap for custom made harnesses
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

PostSubject: Re: Harnesses vs. regular collar vs. pincher collar vs. choker collar.   Harnesses vs. regular collar vs. pincher collar vs. choker collar. EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 8:46 pm

Alpine outfitters is where I will be buying Panzer's harness from.
They are also where I buy my booties from, since we go through them enough to buy in bulk.
I have very much enjoyed dealing with them.

In a perfect world, Panzer will pull me, Mixie will pull a wheel cart with cooler and supplies, and Soshanna will be lead dog for both.

We need a winter sport..
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Harnesses vs. regular collar vs. pincher collar vs. choker collar.   Harnesses vs. regular collar vs. pincher collar vs. choker collar. EmptySat Jan 12, 2013 3:33 am

I know this is a little old, but I just wanted to throw another option out there in case you were still looking.

I use a head harness on Sheba, but it's another device you need to know how to use or you can hurt your puppy/dog. I tried a martingale collar with her, a front and back clip harness..nothing worked. With the martingale Sheba would pull so hard she would make herself throw up. I only used the martingale for about a week, both her and and I are lucky she didn't do any damage. With the front and back clip, it worked AWESOME until she figured out how to get out of it..
So now we are on the Halti head harness and I couldn't be happier. She has had it for I think two months and even though she still tries to take it off, she walks very, very well on it. It is actually conditioning her to walk with just a collar, so I swear by it.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
Huskydad
Teenager
Teenager
Huskydad

PostSubject: Re: Harnesses vs. regular collar vs. pincher collar vs. choker collar.   Harnesses vs. regular collar vs. pincher collar vs. choker collar. EmptySat Jan 12, 2013 5:18 pm

I have a freedom harness but Kodiak stills pulls hard even when I use the front and back clip. It was recommended that I try a head harness on him or even aprong harness. I am debating on which one to try next.
Back to top Go down
uelrindru
Puppy
Puppy
uelrindru

Male Join date : 2012-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Harnesses vs. regular collar vs. pincher collar vs. choker collar.   Harnesses vs. regular collar vs. pincher collar vs. choker collar. EmptySat Jan 12, 2013 6:46 pm

I use a harness with Bella, she slips her collar way to easy to trust her in anything other than that. I'm trying to teach her how to walk well in the harness but she has major ADD and the second anything happens most of her conditioning goes out the window. I've found she's better with a longer leash. I have a small leash 10' that I use for potty time and then a 40' one I use for playing. She's much less of a puller with the 40' one for what it's worth.
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

PostSubject: Re: Harnesses vs. regular collar vs. pincher collar vs. choker collar.   Harnesses vs. regular collar vs. pincher collar vs. choker collar. EmptySat Jan 12, 2013 9:14 pm

Oh.
My dogs only have about 4ft or 6ft of leash at any given time.
Just enough for them to be able to walk 5 on either side, in any order, without choking each other.
If your dog iis a puller, perhaps you should be keeping her on about 18 inches of leash, not 10 ft. Condition your dog to being next to you. I mean, how is a dog supposed to figure it out with 40ft of leash?
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: Harnesses vs. regular collar vs. pincher collar vs. choker collar.   Harnesses vs. regular collar vs. pincher collar vs. choker collar. EmptySat Jan 12, 2013 9:42 pm

I use a 50' lead with both my girls when we go somewhere to play as well. I don't think the poster meant they are training their dog not to pull on a 40' leash, I think they just meant they use that leash for playtime when being off leash isn't plausible. I don't use my training lead for leash manners; I use mine for hikes and recall training.

I think they were saying it was just a coincidence that their pup doesn't pull on the longer lead.
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

PostSubject: Re: Harnesses vs. regular collar vs. pincher collar vs. choker collar.   Harnesses vs. regular collar vs. pincher collar vs. choker collar. EmptySat Jan 12, 2013 9:49 pm

Hmm.
IMO, that much line is far too dangerous for my dog and any other dogs around.
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: Harnesses vs. regular collar vs. pincher collar vs. choker collar.   Harnesses vs. regular collar vs. pincher collar vs. choker collar. EmptySat Jan 12, 2013 10:15 pm

I don't use it when there are other dogs around. I live in small town Nebraska; there are no parks, no dog parks, anything like that. So we go into an empty lot and let the dogs have some space. I know what I am doing, don't worry. I'd never put my dogs in any kind of danger.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Harnesses vs. regular collar vs. pincher collar vs. choker collar.   Harnesses vs. regular collar vs. pincher collar vs. choker collar. Empty

Back to top Go down

Harnesses vs. regular collar vs. pincher collar vs. choker collar.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1