It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

a 7 month old with 0 training

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
KamikazeLoki
Newborn
Newborn
KamikazeLoki

Male Join date : 2011-07-24

a 7 month old with 0 training Empty
PostSubject: a 7 month old with 0 training   a 7 month old with 0 training EmptySun Jul 24, 2011 1:25 pm

I just joined today and have a few questions about my 7 month old pup Loki but I guess i'll just start with my main concern. Im not sure if this is common knowledge or not but people online seem to treat huskies as throw away pets, I bought Loki from an asian couple in toronto last week who had him since he was a baby but grew fed up with him because of his stubborn "energetic" attitude. Who knew that a husky who is crammed in a small apartment with no exercise would be destructive... Anyway the only thing it seems they taught him was to sit and how to use the bathroom. Im in it for the long haul and I am planning on taking him to whatever obidience classes are in my area. The main thing im concerned about is stopping the nipping while playing, Im not sure if thats the right word but he gets excited and he will nip at my hand and he has done it to my face a couple of times. Again he is not biting but it concerns me, I have scolded him the same way everytime and its like he knows better and will stop but does it again and again. I don't and wont hit him or anything like that but am just curious as to how some of you have corrected that behaivour. He can be incredibly stubborn at times but is a great dog with a wonderful temprament and I just want to be healthy and happy. Any advice would be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: a 7 month old with 0 training   a 7 month old with 0 training EmptySun Jul 24, 2011 1:56 pm

Welcome Eric! I know you said in your post you had a few questions but I read it 3 times and only found one question which pertains to the nipping.

I would recommend reading through these two threads and seeing if they help at all. I know Loki is not biting to hurt but the training and behavior extinction is basically the same.

Puppy Biting

2.5 year old Husky STILL nipping

And unfortunately we do live in a very disposable society. However I would not say that "people online seem to treat huskies as throw away pets". There are tons of people who do treat pets as disposable commodities and they are both online and off. Look at how many internet forums that exist with millions of members who ARE responsible owners...they should count for something.

Newborn
Newborn
KamikazeLoki

Male Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: a 7 month old with 0 training   a 7 month old with 0 training EmptySun Jul 24, 2011 2:09 pm

This is really helpful thanks for the links, I should have rephrased the post I do have numerous concerns but the main one is the biting, I tried yelping or saying ow he takes it as more play and substituting a toy for my hand works briefly. I think im going to try to put him in the bathroom like one of the other posters said and see if that works. By online I more or less meant the buy sell and trade adds, there are a lot of huskies around the same age being put up for adoption in my area and it is just a little disconcerting as anyone can buy one without realizing what issues the dog is having and the animal just ends up suffering in the end. Not everyone is an awful owner of course but its just sad to see something like this going on.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: a 7 month old with 0 training   a 7 month old with 0 training EmptySun Jul 24, 2011 2:25 pm

How long have you been working on the bite inhibition/nipping training? That stuff takes time and you won't get an instant result. Just be patient and always CONSISTENT with the training. Inconsistency can set you back and make it take longer. And make sure that the training is consistent with EVERYONE that comes into contact with Loki. Everyone has to put up a united effort for the training to be effective.

PostSubject: Re: a 7 month old with 0 training   a 7 month old with 0 training Empty

Back to top Go down

a 7 month old with 0 training

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1