It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Help with pottying.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Addy28
Newborn
Newborn

Help with pottying.  Empty
PostSubject: Help with pottying.    Help with pottying.  EmptyFri Jul 29, 2011 12:40 pm

OK so as you may know we picked up an 8 month old Husky last Saturday. (almost a week) she is really good so far except the potty thing. She is attached to me by the hip, and I have a trainer coming to the house to go over some standard obedience. I will work with her from her book and then I will be joing her class in October for more of the manners out in public and really focusing on what I hopefully worked with her on.

NOW we have a problem with potting; I take her out on a long lead we have a deck that goes out into the yard. She hates going out. (wierd not a husky thing) I go to the same door and give the command, outside potty. she will run away from me. (stubborn) I will get her outside and I literally have to walk down the stairs and sometimes have to give her a little tug to go in the yard. When she does go I give her many praises and also try to give a treat. (nothing in life is free) but she won't take the treat and just run right up the staris to go in the house. So last night we had a poopy issue and this morning she did pee outside but came in and pooed. AWWWH She will not stay int he yard long enough with out running up the stairs. Now mind you I am outside with her the whole time. I have read on here that some huskies can be potty trained in a day. HELP
Back to top Go down
CrazyDogs
Puppy
Puppy

Female Join date : 2011-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Help with pottying.    Help with pottying.  EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 1:06 pm

Sounds like she may have an issue with being outside in general. I would try associating outside with something positive. Try playing with her outside more or just sitting on the edge of the deck for a while and feed her treats. Hopefully others will chime in here.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Help with pottying.    Help with pottying.  EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 1:32 pm

have you tried to just take her out for a walk in the front around the block to work on the potty training? maybe something in the back yard is freaking her out?
there are some nights i have to walk off the deck into the grass to get sierra to go potty before bed and she is 8!

Teenager
Teenager
toyszruskid

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Help with pottying.    Help with pottying.  EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 2:24 pm

I had a somewhat similar situation with Drogo. He's truly been a dream to potty train, though at the beginning he didn't want to stay outside long enough to completely finish going to the bathroom. For example, he'd only pee before wanting to go back inside (when I know for sure he needed to have a bowel movement). It's very hot in Georgia; I think he just didn't want to be outside during the day. If I tried to walk him away from the general direction of "home", he'd fuss (whine, start pulling on the leash, etc).

I solved that by not giving in to his fussing and remained outside until he finished. As soon as he eliminated, I would praise him like no tomorrow, offer a treat, then race back inside. Basically, I made going back inside (where he wanted to be) the biggest reward. Drogo is VERY food motivated but for some reason he's not fond of eating immediately after going potty which made me think of another way to reward him besides praise alone. It only took a few times doing this before he was a champion at going potty outside. He never lingers because he knows the faster he goes, the faster he gets to go in where it's cool! It's gotten to the point where if I think he's done when he's not and I attempt to go back inside, he'll let me know I'm wrong and finish before walking up the steps.

What are you offering as a treat when your husky goes potty outside? Try to find something she absolutely loves and you ONLY offer it when she goes to the bathroom. She'll start associating going potty with receiving an awesome surprise at the end. Plain boiled chicken seems to work great for a lot of dogs, just make sure it's steroid/hormone free and not injected with any chicken broth (like Tyson's chicken). You could also try a treat called RawNaturals; I know for sure you can find it at PetSmart, probably PetCo as well. It's just freeze dried meat with some fruit and veggies thrown in. Also has bone, gizzards, apple cider vinegar... a bunch of good stuff! Maybe she'd really like something along those lines?

You said she won't stay in the yard long enough before running up the stairs. Don't let her run up the stairs before going to the bathroom! Get a shorter leash if need be. I've had to stand outside for 45 minutes sometimes when I was potty training my parent's Yorkie. She was SO STUBBORN. I would stand outside for FOREVER and she'd refuse to go. She'd take a step inside and pee almost instantly. I ended up having to crate her for short intervals when she would refuse to go potty outside. I would take her in, get her to go inside her crate on her own accord, treat her and keep her there for about 5 minutes. Then I would take her out and try again. Once she went outside, she was allowed to roam the house under supervision. It took less than a week of doing this before seeing dramatic improvements.

Others have already touched upon the possibility of her being frightened of something outside. Does she act afraid? If so, getting her to understand that outside is full of fun and adventure is key. Ashley said it best: associate outside with something positive.

Think of potty training as a game you and your husky are playing together. Every time she goes to the bathroom in your house, she gets a point. Every time you get her to go outside, you get a point. This is one game you don't want to let her win! You'll emerge victorious with a little bit of patience and consistency.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help with pottying.    Help with pottying.  Empty

Back to top Go down

Help with pottying.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1