It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

How to not lose your Husky! And general information if you do.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

How to not lose your Husky! And general information if you do. Empty
PostSubject: How to not lose your Husky! And general information if you do.   How to not lose your Husky! And general information if you do. EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 8:34 pm

Huskies are born runners, for most of us... the mantra "Huskies are not off lead dogs." is permanently etched into our brains for one reason or another. But what happens when accidents happen?

When I used to work at the Humane Society... we would always get in stray dogs that the public had picked up and brought to us. Some of these dogs had no identification- at all. Others had only collars with no tags, outdated microchip information or none at all, expired tags with old information, illegible tattoos... Things that really made you sad because there WAS an owner... but we can't figure out who it is with old/missing/no information.

IDENTIFICATION:

There is no better way to get your dog back, than to have a neighbor or concerned person find your dog and call you immediately with the assistance of a legible tag and current information. I cannot stress this enough. Check your tags and check them often. Make sure someone can actually read them, if you purchase personalized tags- be sure the font is readable and phone number is clearly listed. Multiple numbers are encouraged.

Some people will see a lost or missing dog as a result of "poor pet parenting" and some will rationalize keeping your pet because they're giving it a "better life." Phrases such as: "My mommy is missing me" "I'm not supposed to be loose!" "Please call my mommy" can help people see that this pet IS missed and loved and SHOULD BE returned.

If you have multiple collars that your dog wears regularly, be sure each time your dog has a collar on, it has information somewhere on it. Old tags can be recycled to other collars so that way all collars have tags.

Rabies tags carry a serial number, which can be looked up online and owner information can be reached. Be sure that your dogs most current Rabies tag has the most current information.

Microchips are a fantastic tool for helping to find a missing pet. BUT DO NOT RELY ON THEM, AND THEM ALONE. Not all microchips can be picked up by the same scanners. Microchips can migrate, people can be rushing while scanning, and just general mistakes can happen. If your dog has a microchip, be sure to try and keep the microchip company's tag on the dog that way they KNOW the dog is chipped. Some places will hold a stray dog longer if it has a microchip. Most microchip company's "require" a yearly fee. READ THE FINE PRINT. Homeagain "requires" such a fee, but information can still be retrieved and updated without paying the yearly fee. The yearly fee covers "premium" services. Do not let a yearly fee prevent you from microchipping your pet!

SHELTERS/ RESCUES

As soon as your dog is missing go crazy with posters/fliers. Fax them to every shelter/rescue/vet office in the area. Post fliers at any shop (or dog park!) that is "pet" related and SPEAK WITH the employees. These are the people who could potentially be interacting with a person who could have your pet. They are more likely to be "on the lookout" when they know they should be looking out for something!

Check the shelters as often as you can, do not wait for them to call you. Just because you've faxed them information, doesn't mean they will remember it or even read it.

Facebook is an amazing networking tool and ask everyone to share the information and picture. Most rescues also now have facebooks, be sure to share with them as well.

Any sort of free internet classified (such as craigslist) should be taken advantage of.

---------

Feel free to add any more information! This is all stuff i've gathered from personal experiences.

(Tori, feel free to play around with the title- I was drawing a blank.)

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Eurith
Puppy
Puppy
Eurith

Male Join date : 2011-08-16

PostSubject: Re: How to not lose your Husky! And general information if you do.   How to not lose your Husky! And general information if you do. EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 8:50 pm

Also, it'd be VERY beneficial to make it a point to introduce your dog to as many neighbors & other dog owners in your area as you can. This way, if they should see your dog they can alert you depending on the circumstance (whether you're running after him, or back-tracking) or nab your dog for you. I've had my dog slip away from me while on his 6 foot lead and run to play with his "girlfriend" who stays in the building behind me. I had his lead pinned under my sandal (bottom was wet from morning dew & sprinklers). Since I know her owners, no one was alarmed by a charging "wolf" and could help me grab the lead if need be. Luckily for me, the other dog had his attention completely and I could easily grab his leash (that I dived for and MISSED as he took off).
Back to top Go down
Dee&Frankie
Adult
Adult
Dee&Frankie

Female Join date : 2011-03-07

PostSubject: Re: How to not lose your Husky! And general information if you do.   How to not lose your Husky! And general information if you do. EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 9:33 pm

I had to LOL when you mentioned the condition of the tags as you have seen what Frankie's look like. I did get new ones and have a back up now since he likes to use them as a chew toy. But now I want to get another because I like the idea of the little phrases on it.

Just an FYI- We have a Homeagain microchip and it is only a $16 annual fee. Definately worth it for my piece of mind especially being that I got Frankie as a runaway from him previous home. I also have the vet check the microchip at our check ups. When you sign up with homeagain, you send them a pictue and they give you ID cards with your pet pics. If your dog goes missing, you can contact them and they will send immediate email notifications to members in the area and already have a flyer ready for you to print with your dogs picture and information.

I agree on having your dog meet the neighbors. When I first moved to this house, Frankie discovered he could open the gate in the yard. My neighbor saw him, knew he was friendly and brought him right to our front door........we never knew he got out affraid
Lesson learned very quickly. I hardly ever take his collar with the tags off just in case.

How to not lose your Husky! And general information if you do. 768634
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: How to not lose your Husky! And general information if you do.   How to not lose your Husky! And general information if you do. EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 9:46 pm

Biko's microchip tag from AVID is chewed in half. Just astounds me that the company made it out of plastic instead of metal.

Adobo has been picked up on 2 occasions and neither time was she scanned for a chip even though the dog warden has the scanner. Now he knows her and just gives me a call to come and get her.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: How to not lose your Husky! And general information if you do.   How to not lose your Husky! And general information if you do. EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 2:57 am

great thread Smile also agree on introducing them to your neighbors!

embry got off his tie out outside while i was making dinner and my neighbor came to the dog to let me know i was missing one lol, luckily we got him back kinda quick
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to not lose your Husky! And general information if you do.   How to not lose your Husky! And general information if you do. Empty

Back to top Go down

How to not lose your Husky! And general information if you do.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1