It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Rescue Help

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Rescue Help - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 4:10 pm

i just dont trust my neighborhood to let my 2 have run of the back yard with a doggie door, even during my shower yesterday the mean back yard dog ripped a fence plank off the fence to get to my two! we have all ready have had him bite sierra once from busting the fence, the 2 dogs behind us have a doggie door and it drives me nuts. for me its not an option.

I think this lady/guy is worth a call to see what they mean about "off leash" and if they view it as a each dog decision or if they think all huskies make good off leash dogs which we all know here is not the case.

Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 4:10 pm

Just my opinion but I think a dog door lowers a husky's propensity to roam. I only base this on a foster we had that had escaped his previous owners yard multiple times by digging and climbing but never left our yard. It also could have been the company of other dogs or various other environmental factors. All I know is I love, as do my dogs the dog door. When we travel and don't have one, it's difficult for them and us.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 4:18 pm

jbealer wrote:
i just dont trust my neighborhood to let my 2 have run of the back yard with a doggie door, even during my shower yesterday the mean back yard dog ripped a fence plank off the fence to get to my two! we have all ready have had him bite sierra once from busting the fence, the 2 dogs behind us have a doggie door and it drives me nuts. for me its not an option.

I think this lady/guy is worth a call to see what they mean about "off leash" and if they view it as a each dog decision or if they think all huskies make good off leash dogs which we all know here is not the case.

Well I can understand that Jenn, I know the one time I was over those neighbors' dogs were a mess and I'd probably flip a lid over that mess. Have you confronted your neighbors or called on them though? That is insane.. if their dogs get in your yard and hurt your dogs, because the owners don't make them cut the shit, you can have them put down and they need a reality check about that. If you have wood fencing obviously your dogs and your neighbors dogs need to respect that boundary and not bust through. Most fences in AZ though were cement (as were ours) so that was never an issue.

And I agree on your last sentence. Smile
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 4:26 pm

heather he knows its an issue and when home yells at them but he is NEVER home!!! when sierra went to the vet over the bite he did pay all most the whole bill and when i got home last night the fence was fixed again. i asked when we moved in and all 3 sides of the back yard fence i do not own so its up to my other neighbors to repair it when damaged. the one i fear will blow over one of these days... its the shorter fence on the left if your on the deck looking to the back yard.

Claudia give them a call

Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 4:51 pm

jbealer wrote:
heather he knows its an issue and when home yells at them but he is NEVER home!!! when sierra went to the vet over the bite he did pay all most the whole bill and when i got home last night the fence was fixed again. i asked when we moved in and all 3 sides of the back yard fence i do not own so its up to my other neighbors to repair it when damaged. the one i fear will blow over one of these days... its the shorter fence on the left if your on the deck looking to the back yard.

Claudia give them a call

1. On the application - I'd be more concerned about why the 2nd husky was only with them 2 years. Elderly and died? Died of disease?
2. On the fence - I would just put up a fence on the inside of their fence if they don't maintain their's. We have that on one side with neighbor's whose house is a nightware (I think they're hoarders). Is that feasible?
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 4:56 pm

hollywoodhuskies wrote:

2. On the fence - I would just put up a fence on the inside of their fence if they don't maintain their's. We have that on one side with neighbor's whose house is a nightware (I think they're hoarders). Is that feasible?

if we had the money we would do that and we have talked about it but im waiting till it gets really bad and hope they do something, all 3 of my neighbors do keep up their places thank god, the wood fences are 13yrs old so they are showing the wear....

Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 5:49 pm

I really don't understand how any of you guys can have doggie doors. After the crazy, muddy, digging dog I had in my back yard yesterday, I would have FREAKED if he did that and brought all that nastiness into my house! I had to bathe the naughty boy before bringing him in. Mad

So many of these answers depends on the dog, I think. I would be okay supervising a husky in that fence, but not allowing him to use the doggie dog unsupervised. Unleashed always scares me....
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 6:13 pm

SabakaMom wrote:
I really don't understand how any of you guys can have doggie doors. After the crazy, muddy, digging dog I had in my back yard yesterday, I would have FREAKED if he did that and brought all that nastiness into my house! I had to bathe the naughty boy before bringing him in. Mad

I maybe just lucky but I've never had a dog door issue in the 6 years I've had it. Counting fosters I think thats about 14 different dogs. I think they spend 95% of their time indoors, probably asleep or playing while no one is home.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 6:22 pm

Now that the weather has cooled off, we leave the back door open but we have one of those magic screens when it closes with magnets so they can go in and out as they please. I'm home but they usually hang out inside until they have to go potty or see a squirrel run the fence.

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 9:47 pm

SabakaMom wrote:

So many of these answers depends on the dog, I think. I would be okay supervising a husky in that fence, but not allowing him to use the doggie dog unsupervised. Unleashed always scares me....

When it rains, Koda just would sit under the patio area and enjoy the weather. He doesn't dig or run around in the mud. We've never had him come in with dirty paws.. but he also cleans himself up well, Claudia can testify he easily still remains spotless and clean! She was spraying Storm and Ginger off and was all confused because Koda somehow got clean!
Back to top Go down
i<3neo
Teenager
Teenager
i<3neo

Female Join date : 2011-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 9:52 pm

jeez Neo wont even go outside to go potty if its raining! He just stands by the door and looks out, then runs back in the living room, what a baby he is
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 10:07 pm

Heatherlee wrote:
SabakaMom wrote:

When it rains, Koda just would sit under the patio area and enjoy the weather. He doesn't dig or run around in the mud. We've never had him come in with dirty paws.. but he also cleans himself up well, Claudia can testify he easily still remains spotless and clean! She was spraying Storm and Ginger off and was all confused because Koda somehow got clean!

Good grief... Rolling Eyes

If Sabaka would ever quit digging, he might clean himself up too. He's a pain in the butt...
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 10:18 am

Well, I thought I got an exception for my applicant regarding adopting a young husky, but here's what came back:

'I do not think the foster parent will place her in an apt setting, and maybe not even by herself. She is less than a year old, so she really needs another pup to be with.'

So even if I got an OK the first time, it didn't really mean OK.

Rescue Help - Page 3 85993

I almost feel like I'm wasting my time sometimes on these adoptions. I call them to screen them, then set up a home visit and sometimes I'll end up driving 30 miles to do a home visit. And then I lose an application because we've taken too long to find the 'right' husky to place and by then they've gone somewhere else to adopt.

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 10:51 am

...and I just got this back in another reply:

'We has always stuck with the rule of puppy to age 3. Sometimes we can skimp on that - depends on the applicant. But I think that is a good rule of thumb. They really do need the socialization at that young age.'

So the statement has changed and it's a rule instead of a guideline.

Rescue Help - Page 3 85993

Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 11:01 am

Socialization does not just come from living environment. I wouldn't be able to work with these people. I don't know how you do it.

Rescue Help - Page 3 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 11:19 am

Koda wrote:
Socialization does not just come from living environment. I wouldn't be able to work with these people. I don't know how you do it.

I already stated that the first time around and that's when I got the 'Ok', but then I guess that was all forgotten.

I'm getting really frustrated with these so called 'rules' that are sometimes guidelines and sometimes rules. The ONLY thing that keeps me going is: I can at least help find good forever homes for SOME of the huskies in this rescue.

Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 11:23 am

Have you tried contacting the foster family directly? Can you do that? It sounds like the person just "thinks" the foster family won't part with the dog to a single dog household.. maybe if you could speak with the fosters and explain it'd be okay?

Rescue Help - Page 3 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 11:29 am

Koda wrote:
Have you tried contacting the foster family directly? Can you do that? It sounds like the person just "thinks" the foster family won't part with the dog to a single dog household.. maybe if you could speak with the fosters and explain it'd be okay?
I haven't contacted the foster family since the dog has a pending adoption to another applicant.

I checked all the other females in the rescue available for adoption and there's only 1 and she 'could' work, but my applicant wants a younger dog and the one available is 5.5 years. I'll see if she would be interested in meeting this one and go from there.

Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 11:38 am

Good grief! Sorry to hear that, Claudia! How frustrating for you - but kudos to you for hanging in there to help out the doggies! Sometimes rescues forget how to deal with people! Wink

Do these people know that huskies sleep most of the day??? As long as the dog is getting socialization at other times, she'll be fine! Our 2 sleep during the day and barely acknowledge each other unless they're at day care and playing!

And you stated that she'd be going to doggie day care or be a with a sitter - so that counts for socialization! Honestly, I think people with one dog take them more places because it's easier - so single dogs get to go out more and socialize in all sorts of situations.
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 11:45 am

hollywoodhuskies wrote:
I think people with one dog take them more places because it's easier - so single dogs get to go out more and socialize in all sorts of situations.

With 3 (one over 80lbs) I can attest to that!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 12:10 pm

Good grielf is right!

Lordbroll wrote:
Oooh! And I thought I was the only one with a husky over 80 lbs!

Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 12:15 pm

cmanding wrote:
Good grielf is right!

Lordbroll wrote:
Oooh! And I thought I was the only one with a husky over 80 lbs!

I think he has some Mal in him. Haven't run the DNA test yet but plan to next month.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 12:34 pm

Claudia i think we should all talk on sunday! im sorry to hear this Sad

Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 12:41 pm

"I'm sorry they went back on their original decision, Claudia.", she writes, as she sits on the deck with her loan, unsocialized dog.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 12:42 pm

jbealer wrote:
Claudia i think we should all talk on sunday! im sorry to hear this Sad
See you Sunday!

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Rescue Help

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next