It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Added a second husky puppy and have a few questions.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ScaldedDog
Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2011-09-28

Added a second husky puppy and have a few questions. Empty
PostSubject: Added a second husky puppy and have a few questions.   Added a second husky puppy and have a few questions. EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 3:56 pm

I brought home my second husky, an 8 week old pup we named Tino (named after Valentino Rossi) this past weekend. I've been sleeping downstairs on the couch to take him out every few hours at night so haven't gotten a lot of sleep, but otherwise things are going well for the most part.

The only concern I have so far is my three-year-old husky, Cochise (who I brought home when he was 8 weeks old as well), is playing too roughly with him. I don't think there is any ill will intended, but it requires Tino to be right by my side when we're playing outside. If I'm not standing right on top of him, Cochise will run over and mouth his back or back of the neck - not clamping down but applying enough pressure to cause a yelp. Either that or rolling Tino if he starts running around. It's not constant, but is happening a lot more than I would like.

The lady I got both dogs from suggested keeping a lead on Cochise (still allowing him to run freely) in these situations while we're playing to give a tug whenever this happens, which I plan to start doing. Verbal commands only help some times - usually once he's already engaged in the behavior, so I'm open to any other suggestions. I guess an alternative would be to have seperate play times with them outside until Tino matures some more, which I don't like the sound of, but beats the current situation.

Anyone else experience this? Is this something Cochise will drop on his own once the newness wears off? For what it's worth, Cochise has a sweet temperment towards people and other dogs.

The other question I have is his eyes are green right now. The breeder believes they will stay the same color or possibly lighten into a golden color, which she said are not very common colors for huskies, so it makes me curious - at what age does a dogs eye color become permenant?

Thanks in advance for any help. Will post a few photos when I'm on my home computer.
Back to top Go down
libbybell74
Adult
Adult
libbybell74

Female Join date : 2011-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Added a second husky puppy and have a few questions.   Added a second husky puppy and have a few questions. EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 4:18 pm

Congrats on the new puppy. Have you always played rough with Cochise? Or does he usually do that with other dogs, If so this may be why he is playing that way. I know my Libby get teritorial around me and other dogs then gets too rough, she gets pulled back and cant play until she is nice. I have to use the nice command and for the most part she is good. It could just be jealousy over your attention. You may have to try a few things. Good Luck.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Added a second husky puppy and have a few questions.   Added a second husky puppy and have a few questions. EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 4:29 pm

i have never had a puppy, but this sounds like what i see at our husky meet ups when people bring young huskies to play, the older ones do do this. does Cochise back off when Tino yelps? Cochise needs to back off when this happens to learn that he can not bite, Tino may also be scared and yelping because of that and not from the mouthing, huskies mouth and the neck area is the main "nipping" area of play. Tino will get a bit larger and i don't think you will have this issue very long. you just need to be out there when they are playing and making sure Cochise knows what is ok and what is to rough right now. cant wait to see pics

Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Added a second husky puppy and have a few questions.   Added a second husky puppy and have a few questions. EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 4:47 pm

Cheyenne, Mishka, and Mickey do this to Rodeo. In the beginning he would yelp but more of a scared yelp than hurt. I pulled the dogs away but didn't do more than that. Now... Oh jeez you should see the way they throw Rodeo to the ground... But he gets up and comes back for more so I don't step in unless they're starting to gang up on him. Give them time to get comfortable with each other and just keep an eye on them and pull your older one away when the pup yelps (if he isn't backing off.) You don't want to push the puppy to the point of the tucked tail/ears back/lips raised/teeth showing... but as long as your older Husky is listening to the pup and you're there to calm things down when they get too hectic... All will work out.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
ScaldedDog
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Added a second husky puppy and have a few questions.   Added a second husky puppy and have a few questions. EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 5:30 pm

libbybell74 wrote:
Have you always played rough with Cochise? Or does he usually do that with other dogs, If so this may be why he is playing that way.

No, I don't think I would describe my playing with him as being rough. One of the reasons I got a second was to get him a full-time playmate. I realize when we stop that kind of play he would be content to keep going another hour. He goes hard at it when playing with other dogs but never escalates beyond that.
Back to top Go down
ScaldedDog
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Added a second husky puppy and have a few questions.   Added a second husky puppy and have a few questions. EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 5:43 pm

jbealer wrote:
does Cochise back off when Tino yelps? Cochise needs to back off when this happens to learn that he can not bite, Tino may also be scared and yelping because of that and not from the mouthing,

Not for sure if he's backing off because of the yelp or me telling him to stop but he doesn't continue to stay on top of him. Usually just a few nips/mouthing, stops, waits for the puppy to make a move and repeats it. And now that you mention it, I can see where some of the noises may be more out of fear than pain. [img][/img]Added a second husky puppy and have a few questions. Img_4611

Added a second husky puppy and have a few questions. Img_4612
Back to top Go down
Elvismyhusky
Newborn
Newborn
Elvismyhusky

Female Join date : 2011-09-16

PostSubject: Re: Added a second husky puppy and have a few questions.   Added a second husky puppy and have a few questions. EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 6:21 pm

you got a white puppy! awww
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Added a second husky puppy and have a few questions.   Added a second husky puppy and have a few questions. EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 7:14 pm

ScaldedDog wrote:
Not for sure if he's backing off because of the yelp or me telling him to stop but he doesn't continue to stay on top of him. Usually just a few nips/mouthing, stops, waits for the puppy to make a move and repeats it. And now that you mention it, I can see where some of the noises may be more out of fear than pain.

that just sounds like husky play to me just keep on him like you have been and soon enough Tino will be able to hold his own. he is a cutie

Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Added a second husky puppy and have a few questions.   Added a second husky puppy and have a few questions. EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 8:32 pm

In a couple months Tino will dish out as good as he receives now.
Back to top Go down
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Male Join date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Added a second husky puppy and have a few questions.   Added a second husky puppy and have a few questions. EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 8:55 pm

Our neighbors have a husky puppy that Appa makes yelp almost non-stop. There's a different yelp when Appa gets too rough as opposed to the 99% of the time scared yelp. The yelping is starting to lessen now, but the little pup ALWAYS comes back for more. I'd say it's normal play, and it's just not used to a big dog coming at it. As long as nobody is hurt I'd say let 'em at it.

EDIT
I thought I'd include a video of it. This was towards the end while winding down. Normally Appa just keeps Meeka pinned with his head while she yelps. You notice as soon as he lets her up she goes for him. This was while she was still more scared, now she full on launches and lands on his face.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Added a second husky puppy and have a few questions.   Added a second husky puppy and have a few questions. EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 9:09 pm

Totally normal in my opinion. Mya did the same to Kody, but Kody could take her from when he was 12 weeks old and brought him home. This was maybe a week into having him...

Back to top Go down
ScaldedDog
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Added a second husky puppy and have a few questions.   Added a second husky puppy and have a few questions. EmptyThu Oct 20, 2011 7:50 am

Thanks to you both for the video clips - helpful to see and hear. My situation is a lot like the first shot regarding the size difference and clumsiness of Tino.
I'll continue to keep a close eye on them but there's some peace of mind knowing this is nothing out of the ordinary. Just not wanting him to get hurt or develop any fearful/aggressive behaviors.

Back to top Go down
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Male Join date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Added a second husky puppy and have a few questions.   Added a second husky puppy and have a few questions. EmptyThu Oct 20, 2011 9:46 am

When they play at our house it's really hilarious. We have dark tile floors, and you can see wet spots wherever Appa drops Meeka. She's more of a sponge for his drool than anything when they play. There was one time he literally drug her across the kitchen by the scruff of the neck and plopped her on his bed, like, "let's play over here now." She takes it in stride and comes back for more. Like I said earlier, the sounds change when she's no longer having fun, and Appa tends to understand and give her a breather.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Added a second husky puppy and have a few questions.   Added a second husky puppy and have a few questions. Empty

Back to top Go down

Added a second husky puppy and have a few questions.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1