It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Omnijore; Dog Joring System by Ruff Wear

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

Omnijore; Dog Joring System by Ruff Wear - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Omnijore; Dog Joring System by Ruff Wear   Omnijore; Dog Joring System by Ruff Wear - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 3:43 pm

Here's what the belt from Adanac looks like:
The straps at the bottom are the leg loops:
Omnijore; Dog Joring System by Ruff Wear - Page 2 Adanac10

Inside of the belt:
Omnijore; Dog Joring System by Ruff Wear - Page 2 Adanac11

Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Omnijore; Dog Joring System by Ruff Wear   Omnijore; Dog Joring System by Ruff Wear - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 3:49 pm

henielsen wrote:
I am looking for a belt system that I can put both dogs on. Anyone have a suggestion? I can't seem to find if you can buy parts to the Ruffwear system separately.

A piece of tubular webbing with an overhand knot in the middle (to attach to the line coming off the belt) and two overhand knots at the ends (to attach to the dogs).
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Omnijore; Dog Joring System by Ruff Wear   Omnijore; Dog Joring System by Ruff Wear - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 3:49 pm

....and if you like the Alpine skijor/canicross belt style better, but don't want to order it from Alpine, you can get it here:

http://www.fidogear.com/store/skijoring-c-10.html

with or without the leg loops....

Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Omnijore; Dog Joring System by Ruff Wear   Omnijore; Dog Joring System by Ruff Wear - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 4:50 pm

i love my Adanac belt after Eddy added padding to it Smile and since its the belt it should ship in no time, its the making of the harnesses thats the issue with them, everything i have ever ordered came fast (no harnesses)

Teenager
Teenager
henielsen

Female Join date : 2011-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Omnijore; Dog Joring System by Ruff Wear   Omnijore; Dog Joring System by Ruff Wear - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 7:28 pm

I currently have the Kong leashes and just wrap them around my waist, but I would like something a little wider (and padding would be nice).
Back to top Go down
Jupiter
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2011-10-27

PostSubject: Re: Omnijore; Dog Joring System by Ruff Wear   Omnijore; Dog Joring System by Ruff Wear - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 3:40 pm

We purchased the Omnijore System for two of our Huskies, and have been very pleased with the product. It is extremely durable and was made with both the handler and dogs in mind. The hip belt back is so comfortable! I highly appreciate the pockets and bottle pouch. I find that my boys are able to run much longer distances with the Omnijore System, than with other harnesses I've tried.

I would love to see it in additional colors, though. I mean, considering the fact that I am paying $300 + taxes for two harnesses, I should be able to have a say in what color I'd prefer.
Back to top Go down
http://lianiofthevalley.webs.com/
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Omnijore; Dog Joring System by Ruff Wear   Omnijore; Dog Joring System by Ruff Wear - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 11:54 am

My mom is sending me money so that I can get something I want for Christmas so I decided I want a joring system. With that said, I am trying to decide if I want to order the Ruffwear Omnijore Joring system OR get the Canicross belt & joggers leash with shockline from Alpine Outfitters. I want the joring system that I get to be usable by both my husband or myself which both seem to offer a belt expansion that will fit both our waists.

I already have a custom x back harness from Alpine if I opt to order the belt and leash from them as well.

The Ruffwear Omnijore set will cost me $36 more than getting the belt and leash from Alpine. I really don't need another harness but for the price I am willing to consider the Omnijore system and having another harness. Question though, can anyone tell me if I can use an x back harness with the Ruffwear belt and towline? Or do I have to use the Ruffwear harness? From the diagram online it looks like I can use whatever harness I prefer since it is a talon clip attaching to the harness, but I just want to verify.

I like that the Ruffwear system has a bottle holder and 2 zippered pockets (which I hope to be able to use for keys, poop bags, phone maybe?) which is not on the Alpine belt.

Okay, I've really convinced myself that I want the Ruffwear Omnijore system. Can anyone share some additional advice or insight? If it were you in my position and cost is not a concern, would you get the complete Ruffwear Omnijore system (if I get this I plan to use the x back with it some of the time) or the Alpine Canicross belt and towline?

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Omnijore; Dog Joring System by Ruff Wear   Omnijore; Dog Joring System by Ruff Wear - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 12:30 pm

You can use any lead and harness with the Omnijore belt. The pockets on the belt does hold a small digital camera so I would believe it would hold a slightly bigger phone.

There are a few things that I don't like about the RW Omnijore belt: the bottle holder in the back which interferes with my backpack making my pack sit on the bottle holder, and the 'belt' that you attach the lead to is secured by a 'non-slip' buckle which works by friction so it's not a buckle that clips in and secured. So, if the lever/tab on the 'non-slip' buckle gets snagged and it lifts up, your pup can easily pull off the lead from your belt.

I do like the side pockets to hold energy bars, chap stick, portable camera, making those things easily accessible on the trail.

The belt that I really like is from Alpine. You clip the lead on to 2 D-rings with a carabiner and if your pup decides to pull off to the side, you're pulled from the center of your core and not from the side/hip which could throw your balance off as the lead on a RW Omnijore belt can move from side to side. My balance is off because of my vertigo, so I prefer the Alpine belt for this reason - center core keeps me balanced on the trail when I'm dealing with roots, rocks, uneven terrain etc.

Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Omnijore; Dog Joring System by Ruff Wear   Omnijore; Dog Joring System by Ruff Wear - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 12:50 pm

I have used both, and own two omnijores, and I much prefer the Alpine products. I actually plan on selling my belt and lines on EBay to buy Alpine belts. The omnijore does not sit as well, is not as comfortable, is bulky, and I'd much rather have a black belt that isn't bright red. The pockets are barely big enough for a phone, I can't even fit my P&S in it. If you don't wear the leg loop, it'll rise up like crazy as well.

If you still end up wanting the omnijore and want to spend less, I'd be happy you sell you one of my lines and belts, they have absolutely no wear on them. But I prefer the Alpine, though I also use or for running or hiking, not casual walking.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Omnijore; Dog Joring System by Ruff Wear   Omnijore; Dog Joring System by Ruff Wear - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 1:20 pm

Heather! wrote:
I have used both, and own two omnijores, and I much prefer the Alpine products. I actually plan on selling my belt and lines on EBay to buy Alpine belts. The omnijore does not sit as well, is not as comfortable, is bulky, and I'd much rather have a black belt that isn't bright red. The pockets are barely big enough for a phone, I can't even fit my P&S in it. If you don't wear the leg loop, it'll rise up like crazy as well.

My Alpine and Adanac belt ride up as well if you do not use leg loops, but with a back pack, they don't ride up as much.

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Omnijore; Dog Joring System by Ruff Wear   Omnijore; Dog Joring System by Ruff Wear - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 1:36 pm

I wonder if you ladies could tell me if you think the Ruffwear system would work while my daughter is in her Ergobaby carrier as well?

Here is a picture if that helps any.
Omnijore; Dog Joring System by Ruff Wear - Page 2 DSC_0834

Thanks so much for the input. After talking with the hubby it sounds like he would also prefer the Ruffwear system mainly for the harness since it has a handle which the x back does not and there have been multiple instances when we needed to pick Dakota up on a trail where a handle on his harness would have been extremely helpful. My other concern with ordering the Alpine setup is that it wouldn't be here in time for our Christmas trip and I want to use it when we go hiking at the end of this month. Neutral

Senior
Senior
Heather!

PostSubject: Re: Omnijore; Dog Joring System by Ruff Wear   Omnijore; Dog Joring System by Ruff Wear - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 1:39 pm

A water bottle would probably poke her bum.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Omnijore; Dog Joring System by Ruff Wear   Omnijore; Dog Joring System by Ruff Wear - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 1:43 pm

I think the RW Omnijore would work if you wore it lower on the hip because of the water bottle holder. It would also mean that you probably would not be able to put a water bottle in it.

Alpine does not make the belt they sell. You can also find the same belt on other websites, so if you order a belt from Alpine, it should not take long to arrive. It also sounds like it's under new 'management' and they say they have been on getting shipments out on a timely manner.

There's also Adanac Sleds which I personally thing is the most comfortable belt, and most slim fitting, and it also comes with a lead which makes it the most economical set up. The owners also have worked with Jenn on custom leads where it has a handle mid way in the lead to pull in your pup if you need to. I ended up getting these leads and like them. I think Jenn has posted pictures somewhere. I know I posted pictures of the belt too.

Senior
Senior
Heather!

PostSubject: Re: Omnijore; Dog Joring System by Ruff Wear   Omnijore; Dog Joring System by Ruff Wear - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 2:00 pm

I still don't think if she ordered now she would end up with it before Christmas, though. My belt and leashes took about 2 weeks, and I ordered another line as I messed up one and it's been over a week and still no leash.
Back to top Go down
MicroBrewer
Teenager
Teenager
MicroBrewer

Male Join date : 2011-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Omnijore; Dog Joring System by Ruff Wear   Omnijore; Dog Joring System by Ruff Wear - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 2:18 pm

cmanding wrote:
...There's also Adanac Sleds which I personally thing is the most comfortable belt, and most slim fitting, and it also comes with a lead which makes it the most economical set up. The owners also have worked with Jenn on custom leads where it has a handle mid way in the lead to pull in your pup if you need to. I ended up getting these leads and like them. I think Jenn has posted pictures somewhere. I know I posted pictures of the belt too...

I'm pretty sure Jenn posted pictures of her custom Adanac leads in this thread:

https://www.itsahuskything.com/t3585-help-with-selecting-harness-pack-and-leash-combinations

Within the next week or two I am planning to give Adanac a call to see if they can make me some custom leads due to MN state forests and parks requiring a 6ft lead. Ideally I'd work with them to get the belt and a few different leads packaged into one price.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Omnijore; Dog Joring System by Ruff Wear   Omnijore; Dog Joring System by Ruff Wear - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 2:26 pm

Lol, I can go without the water bottle if I am carrying the baby. But it gives me the option in the future. This stinks that you both prefer Alpine or Adanac over the Ruffwear system. Given my rush and hubby's thoughts I think I may go with the complete Ruffwear system for now and if I still want something better down the road I'll go for the Alpine set. Hopefully in my rush I'm not making a mistake but I've read so many great reviews of the Ruffwear set.

Thank you both for the input, you're awesome!

And Heather, thanks for the offer but I want to give Scott at Backcountry K9 my repeat business because he's been so incredibly awesome to work with in the past.

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Omnijore; Dog Joring System by Ruff Wear   Omnijore; Dog Joring System by Ruff Wear - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 08, 2013 11:27 am

Because there haven't been any actual reviews of the Omnijore system I wanted to update with some pics and my thoughts on it because when I was shopping around you can never find pictures showing exactly what you are looking for, so hopefully this will help others who might be in the same position I was when I was shopping.

I have to admit I was strongly second guessing my decision to get the Omnijore system after all your feedback about the Alpine mushers belt being the preferred of the two. I had even made myself believe before I even received the Omnijore that I wouldn't be happy with it, so I went into trying it out with a negative mindset right from the start.

Honestly, I couldn't be HAPPIER! I love the RW Omnijore set and am really happy that I opted for it instead of the Alpine gear after all. I already have a hands free walking lead that I use on a daily basis with my sibe, so I didn't need something that would double for urban use. I don't jog and my sibe is loose leash trained so I have no need for padding or shock absorption in the line for that purpose.

Omnijore; Dog Joring System by Ruff Wear - Page 2 DSC_1377_filtered_zpsa938184c

I love the entire Omnijore set from the belt to the harness. I really like how adjustable the Omnijore belt is, it can be adjusted to fit a wide range and therefore can be used by both myself and my husband who are very different sizes! I would not be able to do that with the custom Alpine mushers belt. Another huge thing for me is that the towline on the Omnijore system is able to easily slide side to side as the dog changes direction so that I am always pulled forward rather than being turned to one side or the other like a set connection point on the right or left would do which is how the Alpine belt (and my hands free walking lead) are set up.

This pic shows how the towline connects to the belt and you can see how the towline can slide freely from side to side as the dog turns, changes direction, or simply moves left or right along a trail.
Omnijore; Dog Joring System by Ruff Wear - Page 2 DSC_1380_zpse2851d6d

The above photo also shows the quick release lever. That is the ONLY feature of the Omnijore system that I have mixed feelings about. It can be a really great, and in certain conditions necessary, feature but I find myself worrying about accidentally lifting it and having my sibe get loose. It's never happened but I still worry because it is REALLY easy to release. Again, in certain situations that would be vital, like if a person were skijoring and dog and human went around opposite sides of a tree for example.

The towline is awesome, sturdy and well constructed. It's 8 feet long (stretches to 10 feet) and features a talon clip which connects to the harness. What I REALLY love about the towline is that it has TWO handles, yes two! It has a handle at the top where it attaches to the belt, which essentially means you can use it like a normal leash. This has come in extremely handy when I needed to hand the dog off to my husband in places where I had to go downhill abruptly and could not risk falling down especially with a baby on my back. I just had to simply lift up the quick release and my husband was able to take the towline and continue on with the dog using it like a regular leash. That feature alone is awesome. The second handle is a traffic handle located at the other end of the towline where it clips to the harness. You can see the traffic handle in the photos I will post (below) of the harness.

This photo from RW's website shows the two handles and talon clip:
Omnijore; Dog Joring System by Ruff Wear - Page 2 FW11_Joring_Towline_Grey_Zoom

The harness is sturdy and similar in design to how an x-back harness would function. It's built for pulling (obviously) and has a handle on the top/over the back as well as a removable "girth strap" also known as a belly band when talking about x-backs which will prevent your dog from backing out of the harness. My sibe hates the belly band on his custom Alpine Outfitters x-back so we never use the girth strap on the Omnijore harness either. Comparing the Omnijore harness to the custom Alpine x-back, I definitely prefer the Alpine harness as far as construction, comfort, and durability. The Alpine harness is just a much better quality harness and has far more and better padding than the Omnijore harness. However the Alpine is custom fit so it is not adjustable like the Omnijore harness, which if you have a dog that is not done growing or needs to lose considerable weight can be a good thing to have an adjustable harness. The x-back harness does not have a handle on it which the Omnijore harness does, again in certain situations the handle can come in handy if you need to help lift the dog over something or need something quick and easy to grab in the event you need to get control of your dog for whatever reason. The Omnijore harness only comes in one color at this time, the color being red. I actually like the bright red color of the harness for the fact that it makes the dog stand out which, again, in certain circumstances is a good thing when you want people or traffic to notice the dogs presence. I use the Omnijore harness to bikejore with my sibe regularly in our neighborhood at home and I like how the bright red color makes him stand out especially when cars and driving past.

In the Omnijore harness attached to the Springer bike attachment for bikejoring:
Omnijore; Dog Joring System by Ruff Wear - Page 2 539642_578942385469079_1725842760_n_zps428f5ed6

Here are top and side views of the Omnijore harness (without the girth strap aka belly band) which also show the location of the traffic handle.
Omnijore; Dog Joring System by Ruff Wear - Page 2 DSC_1390_filtered_zps8e88bcc8

Omnijore; Dog Joring System by Ruff Wear - Page 2 DSC_1391_zpsb44500c6

I am also including top and side views of my sibe in his custom x-back for comparison sake.
Omnijore; Dog Joring System by Ruff Wear - Page 2 _DSC7431_filtered

Omnijore; Dog Joring System by Ruff Wear - Page 2 _DSC7423

Newborn
Newborn
fuhongnie

Male Join date : 2013-10-14

PostSubject: Re: Omnijore; Dog Joring System by Ruff Wear   Omnijore; Dog Joring System by Ruff Wear - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 9:08 pm

Thanks for the great review, I decided to get one too based on your review. A little off topic but I'm looking at the same set up for my baby, how much did that setup cost you and where can I find something like it, also does you baby like it?
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Omnijore; Dog Joring System by Ruff Wear   Omnijore; Dog Joring System by Ruff Wear - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 9:52 pm

The bike trailer is an InStep two child trailer which quickly and easily attaches to the bike. My daughter and I both love it. My son is due any day now so soon I will be using it to tow both my kids. The wheels come off the trailer so easily and the trailer collapses flat for easy storage. You can also use the trailer open air (it has mesh to prevent debris from reaching the kids) or with clear flaps closed for a view but weather protection. I believe it was less than $90 for the two child bike trailer.

The bike attachment is a Springer bike attachment. However I did not use the included safety release or line. I replaced that with a bungee cord with carabiners at both ends so that my sibe could not get loose and for added shock absorption, it has worked wonderfully. It looks like the Springer bike attachment costs about $130 these days, I bought mine before the price increase at about $80 a couple years ago I believe.

And, well, you know how much the Omnijore costs already since you just bought one. Hope that helps. I am looking forward to using it for both my kids next winter. Last winter my daughter found it so relaxing that she'd often fall asleep during the bike rides.

Newborn
Newborn
fuhongnie

Male Join date : 2013-10-14

PostSubject: Re: Omnijore; Dog Joring System by Ruff Wear   Omnijore; Dog Joring System by Ruff Wear - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 22, 2013 3:34 am

Thanks! I'll definitely look into it
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Omnijore; Dog Joring System by Ruff Wear   Omnijore; Dog Joring System by Ruff Wear - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 22, 2013 11:37 am

If you are going to be biking with your sibe. I would go with what Valerie did as well, and get the Springer. I have one and its so durable and has a lifetime warranty if it ever breaks (if you buy one get one at running k9.com, the staff there is amazing and its ships fast) I bought mine after the price increase and have never regretted it. You will only need to ever buy one so I think its worth it. I just wouldn't get the walky dog, when you are going to be towing your child. The springer has more stability for you and its just over all sturdier to keep everyone safe. I also made it so my dogs don't have the automatic release and I just bought a double neckline from Alpine Outfitters (http://www.alpineoutfitters.net/secure/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=47) one side clips to the springer the other to the harness, and then I use a leash around his collar just in case anything were to ever come done, but I'm super paranoid so I don't know how necessary it is.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Omnijore; Dog Joring System by Ruff Wear   Omnijore; Dog Joring System by Ruff Wear - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Omnijore; Dog Joring System by Ruff Wear

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2