It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Dog Attack

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

Dog Attack Empty
PostSubject: Dog Attack   Dog Attack EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 3:19 pm

Bodhi is a friendly dog who usually just wants to play with other dogs.
On the trail where we run in the AM, sometimes we encounter other dogs. No problem.
There is a big border collie mix that we see on the trail who sometimes is a problem though.
He is not leashed and his owner has trouble corralling him.
In my head, I always think, "On the leash or under voice control."
But I haven't said anything because I really like this woman and her kids.

Today, Bodhi and I were finished with our run, at the trailhead and walking to our car.
The woman's car was parked and she was getting ready to leave on her walk.
The trouble dog was in the car. The woman looked right at me and let the dog loose.
He shot straight for Bodhi with murder in his eyes. They really went at it.
I almost was knocked down. I kicked the dog off and she grabbed him.
She apologized, but this was way beyond what has happened before.

I'm giving her time to finish her walk and get home.
Then she and I are going to have a very unpleasant conversation.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Dog Attack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog Attack   Dog Attack EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 3:24 pm

screw her finishing the walk i would have let it fly that sec! is Bodhi ok?

Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

Dog Attack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog Attack   Dog Attack EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 3:28 pm

Geeze! I hope Bodhi is ok. What an idiot!

Dog Attack Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

Dog Attack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog Attack   Dog Attack EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 3:29 pm

jbealer wrote:
screw her finishing the walk i would have let it fly that sec! is Bodhi ok?

Same here! Is that lady stupid or something!?!! I HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, people who have their dogs unleashed (especially if they're not the friendliest dogs). This royally pisses me off!!!!

Hope Bodhi is ok! =(
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

Dog Attack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog Attack   Dog Attack EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 3:31 pm

Talk about not being a responsible dog owner... frustrates me to no end!
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Dog Attack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog Attack   Dog Attack EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 4:02 pm

No cuts, no blood.
But he does seem subdued.
When we got home, he was sneezing a lot, which is weird.
He's stopped sneezing now.

She's not home yet. I'll let you know when I talk w/her.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

Dog Attack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog Attack   Dog Attack EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 4:14 pm

Poor Bodhi! Glad to hear there was no blood, and I hope nothing pops up later today. Good luck talking to this woman, hopefully you can talk some sense into her without it turning into a fight.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Dog Attack 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
KareBear
Teenager
Teenager
KareBear

Female Join date : 2011-06-10

Dog Attack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog Attack   Dog Attack EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 4:40 pm

Poor Bodhi. Glad to hear he's alright, though.

We had a similar situation happen with Aevyn during one of our walks down the path behind our building. He came out of it with a cut to his ear, but the owner of the other dog didn't even apologize and refused to understand why I wasn't happy with them.

Hopefully your conversation will go over a bit better, good luck!
Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Dog Attack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog Attack   Dog Attack EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 4:44 pm

Just talked with the dog owner.
She was very apologetic, but she did say Bodhi is the only dog with whom he has ever gotten into it.
I find this hard to believe, because this dog barks and growls at me when I am alone.
She didn't understand why her dog always goes after Bodhi.Dog Attack 1625187496

I told that he needed to be on a leash if she couldn't control him.
She agreed and said he'll be on a leash from now on.

We'll see...

Why is it that aggressive dog's owners always blame the victim dog?
Somehow it's the fault of the non aggressor for inciting their precious who has never done anything like that before?
Back to top Go down
toyszruskid
Teenager
Teenager
toyszruskid

Dog Attack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog Attack   Dog Attack EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 5:19 pm

I'm so glad Bodhi is okay! Hopefully the woman starts leashing her dog. Not sure how people can be so irresponsible. >____>
Back to top Go down
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

Dog Attack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog Attack   Dog Attack EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 6:09 pm

Poor Bodhi! Make sure you check him over really well for puncture wounds. When Kitty got attacked they were really hard to find under that thick fur. I probably wouldn't have found them if it wasn't for her licking the area. Glad you both are ok!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Dog Attack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog Attack   Dog Attack EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 6:12 pm

jalepeno wrote:
She was very apologetic, but she did say Bodhi is the only dog with whom he has ever gotten into it.
I find this hard to believe, because this dog barks and growls at me when I am alone.
She didn't understand why her dog always goes after Bodhi.Dog Attack 1625187496
Why is it that aggressive dog's owners always blame the victim dog?
Somehow it's the fault of the non aggressor for inciting their precious who has never done anything like that before?

yeah i got that line from the pit owner that attacked jack! my dog has never done that before.... yeah right.

Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

Dog Attack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog Attack   Dog Attack EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 6:58 pm

Lu&Katsmom wrote:
Poor Bodhi! Make sure you check him over really well for puncture wounds. When Kitty got attacked they were really hard to find under that thick fur. I probably wouldn't have found them if it wasn't for her licking the area. Glad you both are ok!

Yes, when our floppy-eared dog was bitten by a rotti, this is the only way we found his wound.

What an unpleasant experience for Bodhi (and you). I'm glad the lady will keep her dog on a leash in future and I hope she has control over it. Sometimes owners seem to be blind to their dog's misbehaviour.
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
SiberianAnubis
Adult
Adult
SiberianAnubis

Male Join date : 2010-11-09

Dog Attack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog Attack   Dog Attack EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 8:09 am

This the only dog that he/she does not like, he(she never did something like this before nananananana. Why do those peopel always use the same bullshit excuses for not being responsible?

But it is the same over here all the aggressive dogs are off leash, even when the owner is somewhere else. I always say to myself "I keep mine on the leash because of his high prey drive, and if I wouldn´t I would get blamed fo rit, and other people let their aggressors run freely and no one gives a damn about it".
Back to top Go down
beck3465
Teenager
Teenager
beck3465

Dog Attack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog Attack   Dog Attack EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 10:04 am

I am so happy Bodhi is OK. And now for my rant. I walk my dogs because the exercise is great for all of us and spending time with my dog is fantastic. Also, walking is my time to go into my Zen state. Watching the sun rise over the ocean, listening to the sea gulls and other shore birds, smelling the ocean breeze and seeing dolphins play offshore are truly wonderful experiences. And then some idiot dog, small or large, comes rushing at us at full speed, some barking, others not. The quiet ones are sometimes more spooky than the yappers. Whichever dog I happen to be walking immediately tenses up, I tense up, and our wonderful walk is ruined. True, some of these dogs may be cupcakes, but as they are rushing us, I don't know this and neither does my dog. Sorry and apologies from owners doesn't cut it with me. Letting dogs run off-leash intentionally in public places is illegal, rude, inconsiderate, and unsafe for all concerned. I attribute most of my frown lines on my forehead to the stupidity of some dog owners.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

Dog Attack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog Attack   Dog Attack EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 11:26 am

beck3465 wrote:
Letting dogs run off-leash intentionally in public places is illegal, rude, inconsiderate, and unsafe for all concerned. I attribute most of my frown lines on my forehead to the stupidity of some dog owners.

Totally agreed!!! What part of illegal do people not understand? It's freaking illegal for a REASON!!! The other I was walking my 2 and there was a little girl (must have been 8 years old). Outside with her off leash poddle. This thing started charging at us full speed! Kody starts going nuts because he wants to play and Mya starts going nuts because she's ready to eat this thing if it comes close to her. I yelled at the little girl "run grab your dog" and she just starts screaming "Mommy, mommy, helppp!". Obviously the little girl got scared shitless (poor thing), but I was just waiting for the mother to come outside!! She never did and I kept going before the dog charged again. Why in the world would you leave your daughter outside ALONE with your LOOSE dog knowing that that's a park literally 3 houses down and that many people walk their dogs there. HELLOOO!!!

I swear, there should be a "Responsible Dog Owner for Dummies" made!!!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

Dog Attack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog Attack   Dog Attack EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 11:32 am

Glad to hear Bodhi is OK.
Maybe her dog truly has never done that before to any other dog, but I DO hope that this incident will make her realize that she needs to leash him or have him on tight voice control. I really do hope she will have him on a leash from now on.

Hubby used to liked going up to almost every dog with Ginger to say hi. And I kept telling him that I don't think it was a good idea as he does not know the other dog! Then, all it took was for hubby to approach a great dane mix with Ginger and at first it seemed ok, and all of a sudden, RAWR! And of course, the owner of the dane mix says, 'He's never done that before!'

Ginger walked away with a cut on her ear, and I whacked hubby saying, 'See! I hope you learned from that! Look at what YOU did to Ginger! You dumba$$1' After that, he's never felt the urge to say HI to dogs with Ginger.... Rolling Eyes

Adult
Adult
SiberianAnubis

Dog Attack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog Attack   Dog Attack EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 12:34 pm

There is no problem letting your dog off the leash if he comes back on command in any and I mean any situation, if not he has to stay on the leash. Sadly 90 percent of all dogs do what they want and not what the owner wants.

A reason why this happened could be that Borders are working dogs, it is not enough to just go for a walk with them. maybe the dog is frustrated. Anyway she seems not to be able to control the dog, so he has to stay on the leash.
Back to top Go down
KareBear
Teenager
Teenager
KareBear

Female Join date : 2011-06-10

Dog Attack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog Attack   Dog Attack EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 1:43 pm

SiberianAnubis wrote:
Sadly 90 percent of all dogs do what they want and not what the owner wants.

I have to admit, I think yesterday I saw -the- most well behaved dog I've ever laid eyes on. We were at the midnight release of MW3 and there is a starbucks right beside the doors where the line up was. Someone had their rotti wait outside for them, not tied to anything - and he did. Sat down, didn't move a muscle. Even with loud kids screaming and going crazy on their skateboards.

But the thing is, even with a dog that listens that well - someday something is going to be worth more than waiting for you, right? I"m not sure I would ever trust my dog off leash, husky or otherwise.
Back to top Go down
beck3465
Teenager
Teenager
beck3465

Dog Attack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog Attack   Dog Attack EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 2:05 pm

Just as human children don't listen 100% neither do dogs. Allowing dogs to run free absolutely increases the chance that they may invade my personal space and that of my dogs. Sure dogs may break free occasionally, but when all dogs are leashed chances are reduced drastically of unwanted altercations. When hiking at state parks I have encountered FIVE unleashed Dobermans with their lone woman owner and another time THREE unleashed American Gaming bulldogs,One Pit Bull, and One Russian Wolfhound with ONE lone young guy in his early twenties Our three dogs are leashed. Try keeping your eye on that many unleashed dogs on a narrow hiking trail. Totally freaked me out. I would never want my dogs freaking out other people. Also don't want other people to spray my dogs with pepper spray or hit or kick them. That won't happen because I always have my dogs leashed in public places.
Back to top Go down
SiberianAnubis
Adult
Adult
SiberianAnubis

Dog Attack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog Attack   Dog Attack EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 5:15 pm

That is the point you can´t rely a hundred percent on a dog, like you can´t rely a hundred percent on anything. Even if it works 99 times, he is a dog not a robot, so who knows what happens the 100 time.

Seeing a well behaved dog gets our attention because most dogs are not, if mor epeople would put more effort in their dogs dogs would have a better image today.
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

Dog Attack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog Attack   Dog Attack EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 10:30 pm

We had a scare on our walk tonight. I was walking Willow on the sidewalk across the street from the house with a german shepard (kept inside). I saw a man walking towards us on the sidewalk so I moved Willow to the street so he could pass without receiving some Willow kisses. Just as we got close to crossing each other, he made some comment about it being a good night to walk and I was just about to respond when I hear a man yelling behind me and I knew that dog got out. I didn't think, just reacted.... I immediatly whirled around to face the oncoming dog and pulled Willow behind me. The owner is yelling frantically, which is not a good sign, for this dog to come back the whole time . The minute I stepped in front of Willow I raised my right hand and help up my index finger and just stared at the dog and it worked! He hesitated, then tried to side step me and I moved in front of him agian still not saying one word and he gave up and turned right back around and went home. I'm so glad I didn't think and just reacted cause I really think that's what stopped this dog. The way the owner was yelling, I know he was afraid of an attack. The owner apologized twice and I really do think it was an accident that he got out so I wasn't mad at him but wow, afterwards, I was running through my head what could have happened!
Back to top Go down
amykmac
Adult
Adult
amykmac

Female Join date : 2009-11-06

Dog Attack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog Attack   Dog Attack EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 10:34 pm

Way to stare him down! Definitely had the "Alpha" vibe, I am guessing!
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

Dog Attack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog Attack   Dog Attack EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 10:38 pm

Amazingly I was very calm. I do the stare down with Willow whenever she is being a bit naughty and it works for her so I think I have just done it so much it was instinct.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Dog Attack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog Attack   Dog Attack EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 11:00 pm

Well done, Mindy! Glad it worked and you were able to diffuse the situation!

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Dog Attack 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dog Attack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog Attack   Dog Attack Empty

Back to top Go down

Dog Attack

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next