It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Strange spot/growth on puppies foot

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Strange spot/growth on puppies foot - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strange spot/growth on puppies foot   Strange spot/growth on puppies foot - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 18, 2011 2:06 pm

2 days is gonna be a long wait! hope the news is good and you hear that from the vet.
were glad we could educate you on BYB and we understand that there is love a first site and you will take that puppy and have it fixed/spayed and give it a long loving life, and if you do add that second, please like you said really look into breeders before falling in love or the BEST option is adopting Smile i have no desire to deal with a puppy and you may not want to again after the ride your about to take.

Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Strange spot/growth on puppies foot   Strange spot/growth on puppies foot - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 18, 2011 6:22 pm

I heard from the breeder today. She contacted me to tell me there are some people who are stopping by to see the puppies this weekend. She wanted to know if I was still interested so she could hold the puppy for me. She knows that I am waiting to hear from the vet about the toe before I will leave a deposit, so essentially shes holding the puppy for me without one, which I thought was nice. Shes going to the vet tomorrow at 11 instead of Monday, she also mentioned that the toe was looking better but still wanted to get it looked at.

I understand shes in it for the money, so of course she is going to be nice, but I thought it was a good showing of character that shes willing to hold the puppy for me even though others have expressed interest.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Strange spot/growth on puppies foot   Strange spot/growth on puppies foot - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 4:26 pm

Have you heard the results of the vet visit yet?

I know how hard it is to fall in love with a BYB puppy, been there. Thankfully I listened to my head rather than blindly following my heart and believe me it was HARD. But I said no and instead turned to adoption. I ended up falling head over heels in love with a stray husky who ended up at my local kill shelter. Best decision I ever made was saying no to the BYB puppy. I'm just saying, I've been there and I know how hard it is when you've picked your pup out of the litter and received updates, watched them grow, and fallen in love...and then have to do what you know in your head and your heart is right. It felt awful saying no to the puppy I had picked out but looking back it was the best thing I could have ever done. I totally understand that your girlfriend is set on this pup (I was too at one point), but I would just say that if she does decide to pass on it, believe me she will know in time that it was for the best AND she will find another without a doubt that she will love just as much if not more. But as has been mentioned, as much as we hate to see BYB's supported, we would never shun or look down upon anyone who did. Smile

Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Strange spot/growth on puppies foot   Strange spot/growth on puppies foot - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 4:45 pm

The puppy has some sort of infection that will take a few weeks to clear. I asked if she planned on keeping the puppy after it healed and she said she didnt know. The puppy is the smallest of the liter she says and she wouldnt feel right selling an unhealthy puppy. I started looking into adoption/shelters but my girlfriend is very set on having the "puppy experience", which I tried to tell her is not always as fun as people like to think. Nevertheless I am on the puppy hunt again and have been looking into reputable breeders. I am in contact with a few at the moment, inquiring about the parents and things like-keeping in mind the things you guys have taught me were important. I feel more confident looking for a puppy now, more informed, just want to give you guys a big thanks!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Strange spot/growth on puppies foot   Strange spot/growth on puppies foot - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 4:52 pm

CoryWV- i think its a great decision on your part to look somewhere else. an infection that needs "weeks" to heal is NOT a good sign at all. keep working on your GF, puppy hood really is not that great... does she want kids at all? cause having a puppy is like having a kid, your up every 3 or so hrs. to let them pee in the middle of the night, and then the crating and leaving work or paying someone to check on the puppy during the day (you can not leave a puppy alone for a whole work day, you will come home to messes in the crate and an untrained puppy) they the potty training and the biting and chewing things....
i passed on all of that and adopted 2 GREAT adult huskies that are the love of my life!

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Strange spot/growth on puppies foot   Strange spot/growth on puppies foot - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 4:58 pm

She didn't give you any specifics on the infection? It is nice to hear that she at least wants to get the pup healthy before homing it.

Ha ha, I can't help but laugh at wanting the puppy experience. Oh she'll get an experience alright...puppy or not. Laughing I totally understand that though, I've never had a puppy since all my dogs were adopted as adults. I do want to one day have at least one puppy...someday. Keep your eyes open, sometimes shelters and rescues do get husky puppies. I think you're very wise to start contacting other breeders in the meantime while you wait on this initial pup. Who knows, maybe you'll find another one that she'll fall in love with that will be an even better match. Just don't get frustrated in the process, I strongly believe that with action and persistence you'll end up with the right one for you whether it's this first BYB puppy or not.

The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Strange spot/growth on puppies foot   Strange spot/growth on puppies foot - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 4:59 pm

Puppies aren't THAT bad. Just takes a little more work than a newly adopted freakin' out head case. I've dealt with both, and I can honestly say six in one, half a dozen in the other. Sure, waking up at night sucks. But so does high anxiety crate escaping house destruction.

I like how this turned out (aside from the little pup with the issue). Hope you find your breeder and pup soon!
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Strange spot/growth on puppies foot   Strange spot/growth on puppies foot - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 5:06 pm

harrise wrote:
Puppies aren't THAT bad. Just takes a little more work than a newly adopted freakin' out head case. I've dealt with both, and I can honestly say six in one, half a dozen in the other. Sure, waking up at night sucks. But so does high anxiety crate escaping house destruction.

I like how this turned out (aside from the little pup with the issue). Hope you find your breeder and pup soon!

I would have to disagree, my puppy experience (just a two week foster) was sheer hell. I never wanted kids (and don't have any) and after that experience I never want puppies, just like kids someone else's are far better. My adult rescues never had any potty issues, were seldom destructive (when they were it was my fault not theirs) even left in the house alone for 8 hours. I never felt tied down like I did those two weeks.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Strange spot/growth on puppies foot   Strange spot/growth on puppies foot - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 5:08 pm

harrise wrote:

Ditto on this!

Even adult adoptees come with their own set(s) of issues to work through. Two of our adult adoptees I had to take out EVERY HOUR to get them housetrained when we adopted them...not much different from a puppy. All of our dogs needed basic training and manners, again the same as a puppy. Oh gosh, our sibe had separation anxiety, was destructive, and had never been crate trained when we adopted him at 2 yrs old...like I said, you'll have a challenge on your hands whether you get a puppy or not. Razz In all honestly, 3 weeks after we adopted our sibe, who was 2 yrs old at the time, I thought I was going to lose my mind and totally regretted wanting a husky in the first place and told my husband that I was taking him back to the shelter. Hubby was the one who said we should keep him, give him a chance, and work with him on his issues. After much arguing and crying I decided to give him another chance and today I can't imagine life with out my boy. Oh boy did he make my life hell the first 3 months! See what you have to look forward to?! Very Happy

The Gentleman

PostSubject: Re: Strange spot/growth on puppies foot   Strange spot/growth on puppies foot - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 5:12 pm

Yeah, it's all relative to our own experience. I've dealt with three from 8wks and eight adopted adults.

Sorry, there is a baby in this house and it is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING like raising a puppy. If they want a pup let's help inform them on the breeder front instead of constantly warning them about the "experience". This human baby thing has got me all pissed off and amped up. Puppies do not make these kind of sounds. Period.
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

PostSubject: Re: Strange spot/growth on puppies foot   Strange spot/growth on puppies foot - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 5:21 pm

harrise wrote:
let's help inform them on the breeder.

or the adoption front....
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

PostSubject: Re: Strange spot/growth on puppies foot   Strange spot/growth on puppies foot - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 5:25 pm

Strange spot/growth on puppies foot - Page 2 Facepalm
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Strange spot/growth on puppies foot   Strange spot/growth on puppies foot - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 7:00 pm

Calm down harrise. The thought of adoption doesn't always cross everyone's mind, so I think it's fine to inform puppy seekers about adoption. It's seldom, but puppies do sometimes end up in rescues. Heck I was at the shelter today and they just got in 6 two week old mix puppies! Like you've said in other threads, forums are for discussion and people can write their opinions. Some people feel strongly that adoption should always come first and they have the right to tell about their experiences with puppies. Honestly, puppies can be difficult. Hence why you see so many for "rehome" on sites like craigslist. But like you said, adult rescues can be a PITA too. I know some of the ones my mom has brought home I wouldn't even consider them adoptable cause they were such nutcases.

To the OP, I sent you that list of reputable breeders in FL. Hopefully you can find a puppy that's right for you. I know at least two of those breeders have puppies right now or on the way.

Strange spot/growth on puppies foot - Page 2 Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
harrise
The Gentleman

PostSubject: Re: Strange spot/growth on puppies foot   Strange spot/growth on puppies foot - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 7:13 pm

I know. It just reads like the Ron Paul supporter comments of almost every news article online. If it weren't for "back yard breeders", most of us with rescued dogs wouldnt have any dogs at all. And the only available animals would cost thousands.

It might annoy the rescue crowd, but don't be surprised to see me respond supporting getting a puppy every now and then. Several years of dog forums has changed my mind on this subject.
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

PostSubject: Re: Strange spot/growth on puppies foot   Strange spot/growth on puppies foot - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 7:28 pm

Consider me ANNOYED! Tell the thousands of dogs killed every day in shelters (including full blood Sibes) where they came from, they don't care!

SIMPLE MATH:
Breeding backyard or otherwise = more animals > number of homes for them to live.

I would love to be put out of the rescue business but as long as people treat animals as a commodity to make a living by because they are too stupid or lazy to have a real job. So folks may get annoyed at my rescue posts but as long as adoptable dogs are dying I'll keep preaching.
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

PostSubject: Re: Strange spot/growth on puppies foot   Strange spot/growth on puppies foot - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 7:54 pm

Peachy. But I still say puppies aren't any more difficult than rescue dogs.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Strange spot/growth on puppies foot   Strange spot/growth on puppies foot - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 8:00 pm

You know.... I honestly don't think anyone here is saying things that are vastly different.

The fact of the matter is... there are two responsible ways of obtaining dogs: 1) by adopting and 2) by going through a reputable breeder.

Let's also face the fact that if we had NO reputable breeders left, we wouldn't have a breed left that even resembles the husky that we all know and love.

Both types of dog acquisition have their place in the world and it is not our place to CHOOSE one of the other for people. That is the responsibility of the owners and the owners alone. All we can do is inform people of their options and let them decide for themselves. However, it is not our place to condemn or belittle anyone's choice... whether it be a puppy from a reputable breeder or adopting a rescue.

I don't understand the hostility in this thread. We are all advocating for responsible ownership and we all know that, as with all things in life, there is more than one way to go about it.

Strange spot/growth on puppies foot - Page 2 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

PostSubject: Re: Strange spot/growth on puppies foot   Strange spot/growth on puppies foot - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 8:08 pm

Koda wrote:
I don't understand the hostility in this thread.

Did you miss the part where I chimed in?

Ok, sorry CoryWV. You can have your thread back now.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Strange spot/growth on puppies foot   Strange spot/growth on puppies foot - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 8:26 pm

harrise wrote:
Koda wrote:
I don't understand the hostility in this thread.

Did you miss the part where I chimed in?
Lol. But you didn't say anything hostile Razz

Strange spot/growth on puppies foot - Page 2 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Strange spot/growth on puppies foot   Strange spot/growth on puppies foot - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Strange spot/growth on puppies foot

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2