It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Our new addition!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
toyszruskid
Teenager
Teenager
toyszruskid

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

Our new addition! Empty
PostSubject: Our new addition!   Our new addition! EmptyWed Nov 23, 2011 2:37 pm

So, I finally have a chance to sit down and share the good news with everyone!

As some of you already know, we've been debating getting another sibe for Drogo. A few different possibilities fell through, so I ended up contacting Heather's breeder in Ohio. We initially planned on getting another puppy, but the breeder called back and explained she had a young adult female in desperate need of a good home.

"Stairway to Heaven" (or Gracie) was born on June 26, 2009. She's the product of very sound and stable breeding, the daughter of two champion's. She was purchased by two females who bred and showed huskies. To make a very long story short, they ended up parting ways and their dogs were left outside to fend for themselves. After a very long and costly legal battle, the original breeder was able to get Gracie back and was horrified to see the condition she was in. Thin, completely covered in ticks and her beautiful coat was brittle and drab, tinged with red from sun damage. She was pregnant and ended up losing all of her puppies from the stress and condition she was in.

She explained she was a very sweet and gentle dog but needed to go with someone who had another sibe, considering she's been around them her entire life. After talking it over with Dwayne, we decided to make the 13 hour drive to get her. Upon arriving, we quickly discovered she was in heat - not something we were expecting considering the breeder made no mention of that being a possibility. She was extremely skittish and scared of us. We were there for about 3 hours and towards the end, we were able to pet and love on her. She actually felt comfortable enough to lay down at our feet and fall asleep. You could easily tell she had a very sweet and gentle disposition but due to her life experiences, she was very cautious and fearful of anything new.

She was a champion in the car ride home, either sat in the back quietly or slept. Introducing her to our cat was a BREEZE; we couldn't have hoped for a better interaction. She was very unsure about the cat and wanted nothing to do with him. If he tried to approach her, she'd just walk away. She seems more comfortable around him now but still pays him little to no attention. Her initial interaction with Drogo wasn't as pleasant; she would snap and fuss at him if he got too close. Drogo obviously loved her immediately and wanted nothing more than to play. I was nervous that she'd be mean to him forever (yes, I know I was being overly paranoid and sensitive) but I kept telling myself that she's in a brand new environment with a hyper puppy AND she's in heat - her reactions to him are normal and she'll be fine with time.

It only took a day and she warmed right up to him. Drogo is relentless sometimes; he wants to play CONSTANTLY and he just won't leave her alone. I'm surprised how tolerant she is of him. She's slowly adjusting to our place but is still very fearful of Dwayne's children. It's been 5 days and she still won't willingly come into the living room when they're in there. They know to ignore her and she is coming around slowly, but it's going to take patience and work. I think she might have been abused by children at some point; it doesn't take her long to warm up to adults but children are another story.

She's very leery in public situations; we had to stop at PetSmart on the way from Ohio because we needed to buy diapers and she was nervous in the store. I'm not sure how long she was left outside with little to no human contact but I'm assuming it had to be for awhile. When she was younger, she went to dog shows quite often and placed; I don't think that would have been possible if she was always this fearful. She must have went through a very rough time after her owner's split, poor thing.

She will be spayed once her cycle is over and after that, we will be working on her socialization. We plan to introduce her to many different situations so she'll learn that new doesn't mean scary. It's strange to see her in comparison to Drogo who was properly socialized pretty much from day 1. Drogo almost seems confused on her reaction to certain things that scare her. I wish he could tell her that there's nothing to be afraid of now that she's with us and everything will be okay in the end.

Here are a couple of pictures: she's only 7 months old in the first one. The second picture was taken today. She's a beautiful girl and will be even more so once we get her healthy again. Oh, even though her name will always officially be "Stairway to Heaven" on her papers, we've re-named her common name from Gracie to Navi. Smile

Our new addition! Gracie10

Our new addition! 01310
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

Our new addition! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our new addition!   Our new addition! EmptyWed Nov 23, 2011 2:48 pm

Incredible dog! That's one nice addition there. I'm sure she'll open up to her new life in no time.
Back to top Go down
henielsen
Teenager
Teenager
henielsen

Female Join date : 2011-07-17

Our new addition! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our new addition!   Our new addition! EmptyWed Nov 23, 2011 2:49 pm

Auntie Navi <3 We can't wait to meet her.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Our new addition! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our new addition!   Our new addition! EmptyWed Nov 23, 2011 3:27 pm

Congratulations! She is absolutely stunning, a very lovely addition to your growing fur family!

Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

Our new addition! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our new addition!   Our new addition! EmptyWed Nov 23, 2011 5:35 pm

Congrats! What a wonderful ending to a long difficult time for her - she's going to be SO loved! Smile Thank you for rescuing her!

She'll come around - our girl was fearful of many things and once she saw that her brother was ok - she calmed down. Same thing with a few dogs I dropped off for fostering. It awesome that they're getting along after just one day! Smile yay!
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Our new addition! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our new addition!   Our new addition! EmptyWed Nov 23, 2011 5:38 pm

Congrats on your new addition, she is beautiful! I'm glad to hear she is doing better with you guys, and major kudos to you guys for driving all the way to Ohio to get her Smile

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Our new addition! 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

Our new addition! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our new addition!   Our new addition! EmptyWed Nov 23, 2011 6:21 pm

She is so cute! Congratulations on your new addition. Smile
Back to top Go down
toyszruskid
Teenager
Teenager
toyszruskid

Our new addition! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our new addition!   Our new addition! EmptyWed Nov 23, 2011 7:25 pm

Thanks guys! We are very happy to have her. Will definitely keep everyone updated on her progress. She's laying beside me in bed right now passed out, she loves to snuggle. I love you
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

Our new addition! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our new addition!   Our new addition! EmptyWed Nov 23, 2011 7:27 pm

She's gorgeous! Congrats!
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

Our new addition! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our new addition!   Our new addition! EmptyWed Nov 23, 2011 8:23 pm

She's stunning! So glad she's in a good home now. That's just terrible what she went through.

Our new addition! Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

Our new addition! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our new addition!   Our new addition! EmptyWed Nov 23, 2011 9:29 pm

Wow! She is beautiful! Congrats!
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

Our new addition! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our new addition!   Our new addition! EmptyWed Nov 23, 2011 11:38 pm

You did good in more then one way. Bless you.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

Our new addition! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our new addition!   Our new addition! EmptyThu Nov 24, 2011 12:22 am

Congrats on the new addition! She's quite beautiful Smile You did so much goodness in saving her! Smile

Our new addition! Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

Our new addition! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our new addition!   Our new addition! EmptyThu Nov 24, 2011 1:34 am

She is adorable! So glad she found a home with you. And I like her new name too.
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
muska
Puppy
Puppy
muska

Male Join date : 2011-09-02

Our new addition! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our new addition!   Our new addition! EmptyThu Nov 24, 2011 4:21 am

oh nice! very good looking husky you got there congrats Smile
Back to top Go down
Muddy~Mira
Adult
Adult
Muddy~Mira

Female Join date : 2010-09-07

Our new addition! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our new addition!   Our new addition! EmptyThu Nov 24, 2011 1:56 pm

Congrats She Pretty
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Our new addition! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our new addition!   Our new addition! EmptyThu Nov 24, 2011 2:12 pm

Congrats! She is a head turner! And so glad you saved her

Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

Our new addition! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our new addition!   Our new addition! EmptyThu Nov 24, 2011 3:12 pm

Wow! Beautiful dog!
Thank you so much for rescuing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Our new addition! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our new addition!   Our new addition! Empty

Back to top Go down

Our new addition!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1