It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Bowel issues on raw?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
KaylaNL
Puppy
Puppy
KaylaNL

Female Join date : 2011-11-10

Bowel issues on raw? Empty
PostSubject: Bowel issues on raw?   Bowel issues on raw? EmptySat Dec 24, 2011 4:28 pm

So Blitz and Bullet have been on a raw diet for about 2 months now... Their stool turned like a chalky yellow/white like everyone told me it would BUT Bullet seems to not be able to hold it in anymore... He used to be really good about waiting until I took him out to go pee/poop ... now he poops inside ALL THE TIME. It is driving me nuts!!! He's not even trying to get outside because he's pooping anywhere, in his crate, in our kitchen, etc... before when he would have potty training slip ups it would just be right next to the door I take him out at - not anymore! Anyone else have this problem when switching diets?
Back to top Go down
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

PostSubject: Re: Bowel issues on raw?   Bowel issues on raw? EmptySat Dec 24, 2011 6:43 pm

How old is Bullet?
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Bowel issues on raw?   Bowel issues on raw? EmptySat Dec 24, 2011 6:44 pm

What is the poo consistency? And how often is he going? Remember the poo shouldn't bee too hard and it shouldn't be soft either. Adjust the bone accordingly. If he's going so often you may be overfeeding. How much are you feeding?

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Bowel issues on raw?   Bowel issues on raw? EmptySat Dec 24, 2011 7:50 pm

I'd yank Bullet of the raw diet obviously it doesn't set with him to well. Just like any other diet some do well others won't.
Back to top Go down
KaylaNL
Puppy
Puppy
KaylaNL

PostSubject: Re: Bowel issues on raw?   Bowel issues on raw? EmptySun Dec 25, 2011 4:06 am

He was doing great until about a week ago! It's odd. Bullet is 9 months old .... it's like a solid poop, not hard, but holds its shape, not like a regular dogs soft brown poop. He is getting a pound of meat a day - he weighs 67 lbs. I'd say he has a BM about 2-5 times a day. Just depends on the day. Try taking a little of the bone out of his diet? I definitely could try that. He has been doing amazing on the diet other wise. It's just this recent week that he has been disregarding the Dogs Poop Outside rule. lol
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Bowel issues on raw?   Bowel issues on raw? EmptySun Dec 25, 2011 12:26 pm

You may need to add more bone if it's on the softer side. I find that most of my dogs stools are very formed, no room to call them soft.

Bullet may just need a refresher course, sometimes my dogs like to pretended they're stupid but quickly realize it's in their favor to remember the rules because they don't like being tethered to me 24/7 or in the crate unless supervised. I'd go back to pretending he was a puppy and take him out at regular intervals and then tie him to you when you're doing things around the house. You can also put a diaper on them if you need to leave for any length of time and put him in the crate. Most dogs don't like the sensation and won't use the bathroom with anything covering their bums like that.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
KaylaNL
Puppy
Puppy
KaylaNL

PostSubject: Re: Bowel issues on raw?   Bowel issues on raw? EmptyMon Dec 26, 2011 6:57 pm

I will have to do the whole go outside every 45 min rule that we followed when he was younger... I wish he would catch onto the whole ring the bell on the door when you need to go out... we tried for months to teach him and he just had no clue. He will go and poop right by the door... not even warning us at all that he needs out. It's just not like him! It's driving my husband and I insane. Hopefully he will go back to normal soon. Blitz just looks at him like "Ummmm dude that is so not allowed in the house!!!" lol
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Bowel issues on raw?   Bowel issues on raw? EmptyMon Dec 26, 2011 7:39 pm

KaylaNL wrote:
Blitz just looks at him like "Ummmm dude that is so not allowed in the house!!!" lol

lol! It's funny that you should say that. The other day Kody had an "accident" for the first time in a long time. He woke me up at 6am as usual and I got up, put my robe on, and when I walked out he had already pooped in the living room. Literally within a minute of me opening the door before putting my robe/chanks on. Mya was staring at me with her ears and tail down like saying "it wasn't me, I swear!". I know it wasn't her f or sure. She wouldn't do that and I know their poops. Plus, IF she were to poop she would have peed also. Kody can just poop.

Crazy dogs!

I hope things get better with Bullet!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Bowel issues on raw?   Bowel issues on raw? EmptyMon Dec 26, 2011 9:29 pm

What I find odd is the number of BM's he has a day. On a raw diet you should see much smaller and less frequent stools. On raw my dogs generally only have 1 BM per day, sometimes 2 but that's infrequent. Any more than 2 and I'd be wondering what's off. Are his stools very small/compact when he goes? Extra bone should help firm up his stool. Do you feed a strictly raw diet or do you feed partial raw with other foods?

Puppy
Puppy
KaylaNL

PostSubject: Re: Bowel issues on raw?   Bowel issues on raw? EmptyMon Jan 02, 2012 9:34 pm

Strictly raw I fed him... I took him off it though and put him back on regular kibble... His stool was definitely firm enough, it was smaller than his poops on regular kibble, but it wasn't really tiny. Now that he's back on kibble he is doing better with the pooping and peeing in the house. I think he is just one of those dogs that doesn't sit well with the raw. Blitz is still lovin it though!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bowel issues on raw?   Bowel issues on raw? Empty

Back to top Go down

Bowel issues on raw?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1