It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Introducing young dog to resident old dog ? Please some help ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Laura Newson
Puppy
Puppy
Laura Newson

Female Join date : 2011-12-03

Introducing young dog to resident old dog ? Please some help ? Empty
PostSubject: Introducing young dog to resident old dog ? Please some help ?   Introducing young dog to resident old dog ? Please some help ? EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 6:50 pm

Can anyone help me with risks of introducing a new dog into the family. Laska is 14 ( female) and she has been on her own for two years and has the run of the house. We have no other pets since. As mentioned in other post she does has arthritus in her back legs and is no longer the energy bunny she use to be. She Sleeps a lot these days and is going deaf to.

My fear is I dont know how she would handle a younger dog ie say 6 months to a year old into the family. Also I dont know which other dogs would be compatible for huskies. Unfortunately we cant get another husky. We would be going to a shelter to adopt one if we got one. Two years ago her best mate passed due to lymphoma. They came together when they were two years apart and they were so close and inseparable for 13 years. Now Laska has been alone for last two years. So I am not sure what to do. I feel sorry for her as she has no little friend to keep her company. She does talk to the dog next door through the fence but thats about it.

I also have another question is she too old to have a new dog with her ?

From your experiences with huskies can anyone give me any tips or suggestions. I want to do the right thing for her. I have read about territorial dominance and agression that can occ ur but not sure how she would react. I would hate anything bad to happen to her now that she is old and cannot move as quickly and hear so well. So any advise would be great.

One other thing she is ok when she meets other dogs in the street and has never shown any agression to other dogs or anyone.

Kind regards
Laura
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Introducing young dog to resident old dog ? Please some help ?   Introducing young dog to resident old dog ? Please some help ? EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 8:04 pm

With Laska at 14 and of course slowing down with age problems I think a puppy wouldn't go over to well. The pup would want to play and Laska is at the point where even if she did want to play it'll be a problem for her. My guess would be to find her and adult at least 5 yrs old just to be sure the puppy hood was out of its system. Why would a Husky be out of the running for her mate? Also she just might be better off being alone and being able to relax for her final days/months/years.

Tough call.
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Introducing young dog to resident old dog ? Please some help ?   Introducing young dog to resident old dog ? Please some help ? EmptySat Dec 31, 2011 12:15 am

How is she with little dogs? Since she's slowing down and smaller dog might be good, so it couldn't hurt her. Do you have any friends with dogs? Could they bring them over to your house to see how she reacts?

Introducing young dog to resident old dog ? Please some help ? Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Laura Newson
Puppy
Puppy
Laura Newson

PostSubject: Re: Introducing young dog to resident old dog ? Please some help ?   Introducing young dog to resident old dog ? Please some help ? EmptySat Dec 31, 2011 6:18 pm

Thanks, she ok with little dogs in fact she sometimes plays a little when she meets them in the street, I also have a friend up the road from where I live, with an 8 year old husky (smaller than Laska in size) and Laska has met her a few times. She seems ok wih the other husky. The other husky always wants to play with her when they meet. Laska doesnt seem to be to concerned but always meet outside my friends place on neutral territory, Maybe a smaller dog might be the way to go. I think a younger dog smaller and out of puppy phase could be a way to go maybe. Laska being deaf and a bit rickety is my concern so a dog that is smaller could be less scary for her.
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Introducing young dog to resident old dog ? Please some help ?   Introducing young dog to resident old dog ? Please some help ? EmptySat Dec 31, 2011 6:43 pm

Though a concern might be that if she's going deaf and blind a little dog might sneek up on her and surprise her and she might bite it out of reaction. I really dunno. I would look for a calmer dog nonetheless.

Introducing young dog to resident old dog ? Please some help ? Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
CaliaKisses
Puppy
Puppy
CaliaKisses

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Introducing young dog to resident old dog ? Please some help ?   Introducing young dog to resident old dog ? Please some help ? EmptySun Jan 01, 2012 3:51 pm

To make sure that she is even willing to have another dog live in the house, why not offer to pup sit or foster another dog? That way you can see how she reacts to dogs on the home turf (as dogs friendly on the street aren't always so in their home) and understand whether she needs a new buddy or not.
Back to top Go down
Laura Newson
Puppy
Puppy
Laura Newson

PostSubject: Re: Introducing young dog to resident old dog ? Please some help ?   Introducing young dog to resident old dog ? Please some help ? EmptySun Jan 01, 2012 6:46 pm

Thanks everyone for your advise. There is lot to think about.
Back to top Go down
Laura Newson
Puppy
Puppy
Laura Newson

PostSubject: Re: Introducing young dog to resident old dog ? Please some help ?   Introducing young dog to resident old dog ? Please some help ? EmptyTue Jan 03, 2012 7:07 pm

Visited the RSPCA shelter yesterday, After talking to RSPCA adoption officers and their advice, we decided to not adopt another dog. Due to laska's age it would potentially stress her out upsetting her routine. Going deaf and arthritus she probably couldnt handle such a major change in her life . RSPCA said that if Laska was a few years younger it might have been easier then. We love her to bits and I guess I wanted to make the right decision and clearly this is the best thing for her at this point in her life. Keep her in good health and stress free.

We did walk through the compound and It was so sad to see so many dogs in the pound waiting to be adopted. Those littles eyes looking up at you from behind the wire cage doors. Worst of all the older dogs that must have clearly had a life with a family now 6 and 7 been left at the shelter. I cant imagine the mental torment and anguish for them being separated after so many years with a family. I just broke down in tears seeing these lovely dogs left there by owners that didnt want them anymore.

I do hope they all find a new home with people who really will love them and care for them.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Introducing young dog to resident old dog ? Please some help ?   Introducing young dog to resident old dog ? Please some help ? EmptyTue Jan 03, 2012 7:19 pm

Lauran, im glad you are going to wait. that would have been my suggestion based on age and health issues. just keep doing what you are for her and take her to parks to meet other dogs to play then she can come home and rest.

why do you not what to get another husky? there are always huskies at shelters and from rescue groups.

Puppy
Puppy
Laura Newson

PostSubject: Re: Introducing young dog to resident old dog ? Please some help ?   Introducing young dog to resident old dog ? Please some help ? EmptyTue Jan 03, 2012 8:30 pm

Hi Jennifer,
thanks, I love huskies and since at moment is not the time while I have laska, maybe after she is gone I will look at adopting a husky from a shelter. I was only looking for a friend for her at this time but a smaller breed and researching what would be best for her. But as decided best she enjoys life now as is, going forward in the future I will absolutely look at adopting a husky again. They are the best.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Introducing young dog to resident old dog ? Please some help ?   Introducing young dog to resident old dog ? Please some help ? Empty

Back to top Go down

Introducing young dog to resident old dog ? Please some help ?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1