It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Hello from Maryland

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
kmason
Newborn
Newborn
kmason

Female Join date : 2012-01-02

Hello from Maryland Empty
PostSubject: Hello from Maryland   Hello from Maryland EmptyTue Jan 03, 2012 10:51 pm

Hello All,

We are the proud owners of Moose, our 3 month old grey and white husky. We also have a 5 year old German Shepherd, Amelia and a ferocious feline, Samson. I was happy to find a place where I could learn from the experiences of other husky owners as this is our first time owning a husky. Every day is a new adventure and we are amazed at how smart our little guy is.

Our biggest challenge so far has been finding the best food for his sensitive digestive system. Hopefully we will get it figured out soon and this board has already been a big help.

I look forward to chatting and learning through this husky adventure,

Kara
Hello from Maryland 6631821941_0e958d56e0
036 by whatsupgovna, on Flickr
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Maryland   Hello from Maryland EmptyTue Jan 03, 2012 11:11 pm

Welcome Kara and Moose! (He's too adorable!)

What are you currently feeding Moose?

Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Maryland   Hello from Maryland EmptyTue Jan 03, 2012 11:11 pm

Welcome and congrats on your new pup Moose! Such a cute name lol He's adorable! Can't wait to see more pics of your pack! (kitty included Wink )

Kale and I say HELLOOO from California Cool
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Kaya
Newborn
Newborn
Kaya

Female Join date : 2011-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Maryland   Hello from Maryland EmptyWed Jan 04, 2012 12:09 am

Awww He's so cute and little! I feed Kaya science diet as that is what our vet recommended. It took her some time to get used to it as well. Her poop was a little runny from the excitement of moving to a new home and getting used to new food.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Maryland   Hello from Maryland EmptyWed Jan 04, 2012 12:16 am

Science Diet really isn't as great as your vet would like you to think about. If you are having sensitive tummy issues you'll probably need to go grain free. www.dogfoodadvisor.com is a great resource, and we have some exceptionally knowledgeable folks on here that will really help you out. I've had great success with both Blue Wilderness and Taste of the Wild puppy formulas, and TOTW will send you samples if you request them.

Welcome to the forum! Moose is absolutely adorable! Whereabouts in Maryland are you? My mom is from Catonsville and I went to college in Annapolis. I'd move back in a heartbeat.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Hello from Maryland 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Keimo&Izzi
Teenager
Teenager
Keimo&Izzi

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Maryland   Hello from Maryland EmptyWed Jan 04, 2012 12:19 am

Moose is a sweetie. I'm no help with sensitive tummies. My two will eat anything that doesn't run away. lol Very Happy
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Maryland   Hello from Maryland EmptyWed Jan 04, 2012 12:36 am

Yea I work for a vet and they sell Science Diet, I won't feed it to my dogs, lots or fillers and questionable sources of ingredients.
Back to top Go down
kmason
Newborn
Newborn
kmason

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Maryland   Hello from Maryland EmptyWed Jan 04, 2012 8:57 am

Thanks everyone for the welcome!

The breeder had him on Purina Puppy Chow and I knew we would get him off of that as soon as possible but he had diarrhea when we brought him home. It turned out he had coccydia (sp) so the vet put him on the meds and the Science Diet ID and that seemed to work initially but I really wanted to get him on a better food. We tried to transition into the Innova puppy dry dog food but that didn't agree with him either, so I got the wet and was hoping to transition back into the dry, but he's still mushy with the wet. I'm trying a spoonful of pumpkin in each meal to see how it goes.
That's where we are right now but I am definitely open to suggestions of a food plan to try for puppies. I have had him re-tested for the coccydia and he was negative. I just want him to be getting all the nutrition he needs as well as something that will tighten up his stools.

I've read the dog food advisor site and I think I will try a grain-free food. Our German Shepherd is on Blue Wilderness so I will probably give that a try first. Has anyone tried any of the digestive aids like Perfect Form or Prozyme?

Kara

P.S. Here are pictures of the rest of the pack
Hello from Maryland 4411790916_c7ce8cc27d
sammy by whatsupgovna, on Flickr

Hello from Maryland 6634270219_c9e3342291
034 by whatsupgovna, on Flickr
Back to top Go down
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Maryland   Hello from Maryland EmptyWed Jan 04, 2012 9:47 am

Great looking pack! Good luck with his tummy! My Luka has had runny stools on and off for a month now and i've tried everything, its really bad at the moment and I'm going to try the last thing i can think of which is probably the most simple - spreading his food over 4 courses instead of three... I read that when they eat too much in one go they can get runny poop!

Mines on James Wellbeloved at the moment, but after speaking to some of the very helpful husky owners on here i've ordered a bag of TOTW for all life stages - the puppy formula isn't available here in the UK... I'm hoping the grain free side of things will help with his tummy and the little bit of dandruff he has!

Hello again and looking forward to seeing more pics of your little moose!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Maryland   Hello from Maryland EmptyWed Jan 04, 2012 11:45 am

Welcome! And congrats on your new boy!

Newborn
Newborn
StephieK

Female Join date : 2011-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Maryland   Hello from Maryland EmptyWed Jan 04, 2012 12:01 pm

Welcome from VA! Smile
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Maryland   Hello from Maryland EmptyWed Jan 04, 2012 4:46 pm

Kale is on Perfect Form =) It's a life saver! Your Amelia and Samson are gorgeous
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Maryland   Hello from Maryland EmptyWed Jan 04, 2012 6:15 pm

Welcome to you! Moose is adorable and I love the rest of your pack Smile I'll leave the others to the nutrition advice as they seem to have it covered Smile

Hello from Maryland Hailey10
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Maryland   Hello from Maryland EmptyWed Jan 04, 2012 9:08 pm

hypers987 wrote:
Kale is on Perfect Form =) It's a life saver! Your Amelia and Samson are gorgeous

Agreed and Agreed! Val suggested Perfect Form when we got Kody and it worked magic!! Our vet put Kody on Science Diet also and that totally didn't work. I would definitely suggest changing food to something grain free. Your babies are all adorable!!! Smile
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Maryland   Hello from Maryland EmptyWed Jan 04, 2012 10:28 pm

Science Diet ID <------ I think the ID..... stands for InDigestion.

Give Taste of the Wild (TOTW) salmon a try. Huskies seem to do well with the fishy stuff.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Maryland   Hello from Maryland EmptyWed Jan 04, 2012 10:30 pm

When we got Zoey, her breeder had her on a mix of Science Diet and Purina Pro Plan, her poop was a mess! We switched her onto Taste of the Wild with Embry and they both do awesome on it Smile
Back to top Go down
kmason
Newborn
Newborn
kmason

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Maryland   Hello from Maryland EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 8:24 am

Well the pumpkin has been helping and I have gradually starting mixing in some of the Taste of the Wild puppy kibble as of last night. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Back to top Go down
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Maryland   Hello from Maryland EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 9:50 am

Good news, feeding him less more frequently has helped firm up his stools, thought i'd report back to give you a plan of action if all else fails Smile
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Maryland   Hello from Maryland EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 10:45 am

Welcome! I got my puppy from a breeder in MD too! I'm in the process of switching his food as well over to Taste of Wild and he's doing really well with it and seems to enjoy it much better than the Royal Canin puppy food. Hope it's working well for you too Smile
Back to top Go down
kmason
Newborn
Newborn
kmason

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Maryland   Hello from Maryland EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 11:26 am

Thanks! The Taste of the Wild is working and for the first time since we got him, he is on all dry and no canned. He really likes it and I am happy that he is on a complete food now. How old is your baby?
Back to top Go down
iceblulady
Adult
Adult
iceblulady

Female Join date : 2012-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Maryland   Hello from Maryland EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 4:26 pm

Hi and welcome, great to hear he is doing much better. He is very very cute Smile
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Maryland   Hello from Maryland EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 9:56 am

that's great it's working out for you! Smile
My little guy is 10 weeks old.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Maryland   Hello from Maryland Empty

Back to top Go down

Hello from Maryland

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: It's A Husky Thing :: The Welcome Mat-