It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Florida Snowdog Camp Feb. 3rd-5th, 2012

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

Florida Snowdog Camp Feb. 3rd-5th, 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Florida Snowdog Camp Feb. 3rd-5th, 2012   Florida Snowdog Camp Feb. 3rd-5th, 2012 EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 11:40 pm

Camp is just around the corner! So far I think we have about 20 people going. Very Happy Others are more than welcome to join us!

Details:
Ocala National Forest (Lake Shore Group Camp), 8442 N.E 147TH AVENUE ROAD , Silver Springs FL 34488

Description This is our group camping trip which will take place the first weekend in February. We're limited to 50 people for the space. Reservations have been made so this trip is most certainly a GO.

The fee for the trip will be $25/person (dogs are free) which will include meal...s. We are discussing having a potluck on the first night with people bringing a dish to share. Extra funds left over will be donated to rescue either directly or by purchasing items for raffle. We are also discussing other optional add-ons such as personalized bandanas (for the dogs) which will come with a small donation. Other ideas are welcomed! Please RSVP if you are seriously considering coming and put in the comments below how many dogs and humans in your party. Tents are not being provided.

Facility details:
http://www.recreation.gov/camping/Lake_Shore_Group_Camp_Fl/r/campgroundDetails.do?page=details&contractCode=NRSO&parkId=75399&topTabIndex=CampingSpotSee More

We will go on a 2.3 mile hike on Saturday morning. Hike details: http://www.floridahikes.com/lakeeaton/

Here are some pictures I took of the site:

Has covered seating and a big grill
Florida Snowdog Camp Feb. 3rd-5th, 2012 IMG_0472

Parking (bathroom/shower building in the background)
Florida Snowdog Camp Feb. 3rd-5th, 2012 IMG_0473

Florida Snowdog Camp Feb. 3rd-5th, 2012 IMG_0474

Florida Snowdog Camp Feb. 3rd-5th, 2012 IMG_0475

Trees and polls to tie your dogs to
Florida Snowdog Camp Feb. 3rd-5th, 2012 IMG_0476

Florida Snowdog Camp Feb. 3rd-5th, 2012 IMG_0477

Bathrooms
Florida Snowdog Camp Feb. 3rd-5th, 2012 IMG_0478

Florida Snowdog Camp Feb. 3rd-5th, 2012 IMG_0479

Florida Snowdog Camp Feb. 3rd-5th, 2012 Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Dee&Frankie
Adult
Adult
Dee&Frankie

Female Join date : 2011-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Florida Snowdog Camp Feb. 3rd-5th, 2012   Florida Snowdog Camp Feb. 3rd-5th, 2012 EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 11:56 pm

Looks awesome! I can't wait. Frankie and I are confirmed and paid. So far looks like just me and my pooch.

Is the parking close by to where the tents will be set up? I'm assuming all of that open space is where we will set up tents.
Guess there is no need to bring grills or anything, looks equipped.

Let me know if there are any special request for potluck. I have no idea what to bring.
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

PostSubject: Re: Florida Snowdog Camp Feb. 3rd-5th, 2012   Florida Snowdog Camp Feb. 3rd-5th, 2012 EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 12:03 am

Yeah, parking is right next to where we'll be setting up.

Not sure what everyones bringing for potluck. Not even sure on what I'll be bringing!

I hope it cools off some. Everyone was so afraid it would be too cold and I'm thinking it might be warm!

Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Florida Snowdog Camp Feb. 3rd-5th, 2012   Florida Snowdog Camp Feb. 3rd-5th, 2012 EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 12:08 am

Looks so great! I'm so glad you're close Sara!

I hope it's cold Sad I don't know what we're making...

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Florida Snowdog Camp Feb. 3rd-5th, 2012   Florida Snowdog Camp Feb. 3rd-5th, 2012 EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 12:10 am

bounce So excited!!!! We need to get there early enough to find a spot by a tree just in case the stakes don't work out. I'm definitely making Ziti or yellow rice with chicken and yellow (cuban dish called Arroz Imperial). It's the easiest thing to make for a large group. I'm leaning towards Ziti, but hubby says the rice dish would be a better idea. We'll see. Omg, yayyyy!!!!!!! I hope it's not too warm. I bought sweaters to keep warm Rolling Eyes Oh well, as long as it's not HOT for the pups it's ok.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Florida Snowdog Camp Feb. 3rd-5th, 2012   Florida Snowdog Camp Feb. 3rd-5th, 2012 EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 12:52 am

I'm jealous of you all D:

Florida Snowdog Camp Feb. 3rd-5th, 2012 Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
firebellydancerjax
Newborn
Newborn
firebellydancerjax

Female Join date : 2012-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Florida Snowdog Camp Feb. 3rd-5th, 2012   Florida Snowdog Camp Feb. 3rd-5th, 2012 EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 1:27 am

Glad Denise told me that you had posted pictures! I've been so busy with work that I haven't checked out the forum. Great pics, Sara! Plus, glad that I read the postings and saw my questions answered. My biggest fear was having the bathroom too far away from the campsite....You know how girls can be!
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

PostSubject: Re: Florida Snowdog Camp Feb. 3rd-5th, 2012   Florida Snowdog Camp Feb. 3rd-5th, 2012 EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 2:18 pm

Weather forecast so far:
Friday- high of 77*F low of 47* 30% chance of rain; isolated thunderstorms
Saturday- high of 73* low of 44* 20% chance of rain; mostly cloudy
Sunday- high of 70* low of 41* 10% chance of rain; cloudy

Hopefully the cloudy skies will keep it cooler and hopefully we won't get rained out! I don't think we will. Maybe a little bit of rain on Friday.

BTW, I'm going to bring my dog scooter, so if you have harnesses bring them. And just in case it does rain and the dogs get wet, I'll bring my HV drier. Don't forget to bring towels!

Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Florida Snowdog Camp Feb. 3rd-5th, 2012   Florida Snowdog Camp Feb. 3rd-5th, 2012 EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 2:27 pm

I want to go!!!!! can't wait to hear how it goes

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Florida Snowdog Camp Feb. 3rd-5th, 2012   Florida Snowdog Camp Feb. 3rd-5th, 2012 EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 2:46 pm

Oh it won't be too hot. If it drops to the 50s at night I'll be freezing...lol. Hopefully it won't rain! Yay for the doggie scooter! Kody would love to try that!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Florida Snowdog Camp Feb. 3rd-5th, 2012   Florida Snowdog Camp Feb. 3rd-5th, 2012 EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 3:33 pm

I wanna go!

(Jenn, we should find something like this in Colorado and see if we can do a camp in the Spring!)

Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

PostSubject: Re: Florida Snowdog Camp Feb. 3rd-5th, 2012   Florida Snowdog Camp Feb. 3rd-5th, 2012 EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 12:43 pm

Melissa, Would you like to bring your walky dog bike attachment? And bike if you have room. I won a Springer at a rescue event and I thought it would be cool to compare the two side by side.

Oh and I'll bring a coffee pot, but bring coffee if you want it! I don't like coffee, so I have no clue what's good and what's not.

Back to top Go down
Dee&Frankie
Adult
Adult
Dee&Frankie

Female Join date : 2011-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Florida Snowdog Camp Feb. 3rd-5th, 2012   Florida Snowdog Camp Feb. 3rd-5th, 2012 EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 2:57 pm

I have a coffee pot too and will def be bringing some coffee. I also have some cooking stuff (pan, pot, camp toaster) and reusable utensils and plates. Long forks for campfire roasting....SMORES!

I think Frankie will suck at the scooter but I would love to try it with him. The bike piece on my walky dog is all rusted and kind of stuck to my bike, lol. If I had a better bike/mountain bike I would bring it.

I AM SOOOOO EXCITED!!!!!
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

PostSubject: Re: Florida Snowdog Camp Feb. 3rd-5th, 2012   Florida Snowdog Camp Feb. 3rd-5th, 2012 EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 3:20 pm

Sweet! Yeah, bring all that. I'll make sure I buy some bread to make toast! Melissa is going to bring her walky dog, so we have that covered. I'm going to bring my bike, one or two extra bikes, and the scooter (nice having a huge RV you can throw things in!). I'll even talk my dad into bringing a kayak or two if you all want to go out on the lake.

I'm having my mom put together a dog first aid kit and I'm going to write down the closest vet and em. vet just in case.

Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Florida Snowdog Camp Feb. 3rd-5th, 2012   Florida Snowdog Camp Feb. 3rd-5th, 2012 EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 5:17 pm

SaraB wrote:
Sweet! Yeah, bring all that. I'll make sure I buy some bread to make toast! Melissa is going to bring her walky dog, so we have that covered. I'm going to bring my bike, one or two extra bikes, and the scooter (nice having a huge RV you can throw things in!). I'll even talk my dad into bringing a kayak or two if you all want to go out on the lake.

I'm having my mom put together a dog first aid kit and I'm going to write down the closest vet and em. vet just in case.

Girl, you're on top of it all!!! Goooo Sara!!! bounce I bought a few first aid things also, but I'm sure I'll need a lot more! I'm going to get a muzzle sometime before we leave. If (god forbid) Mya hurts herself she won't let me do anything to her!!! Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Florida Snowdog Camp Feb. 3rd-5th, 2012   Florida Snowdog Camp Feb. 3rd-5th, 2012 EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 5:34 pm

depending on the ground there and it might be to late to order, dog booties are a great thing to have on hand for pad issues.
http://www.dogbooties.com/products/330decobo.html
here are the light weight ones i just got for the snow. only down fall is for breaking trail they fall off, held up well on packed snow

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Florida Snowdog Camp Feb. 3rd-5th, 2012   Florida Snowdog Camp Feb. 3rd-5th, 2012 EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 6:03 pm

I actually have 2 dog booties left from when Kody hurt his paw pad at the water park meet up. Hope 2 is enough!
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

PostSubject: Re: Florida Snowdog Camp Feb. 3rd-5th, 2012   Florida Snowdog Camp Feb. 3rd-5th, 2012 EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 8:06 pm

If you want coffee, bring your own coffee mug or cup. I didn't buy any disposible ones. And bring coolers and ice if possible. Some chips or snacks would be good too.

Bring water for your dogs if you don't want to use the water at the place. I know changing water sources can upset a dog's stomach.

Went shopping and bought breakfast stuff, some drinks and water, hotdogs, hamburgers, snacks, etc. I figure we'll cook up hotdogs and burgers Saturday for lunch and for dinner we can order from a really good BBQ place nearby. Sunday we'll get a sub ring for lunch before everyone leaves.

Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Florida Snowdog Camp Feb. 3rd-5th, 2012   Florida Snowdog Camp Feb. 3rd-5th, 2012 EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 9:10 pm

If booties fall off in deep snow or the dogs chew them off, duct tape will keep booties on dogs' legs.
Put a strip around the whole leg over the velcro.
Make sure you don't get any on the fur.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Florida Snowdog Camp Feb. 3rd-5th, 2012   Florida Snowdog Camp Feb. 3rd-5th, 2012 EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 9:15 pm

Could use paw wax also!
I know some dogs really don't like booties and will refuse to walk in them.

Florida Snowdog Camp Feb. 3rd-5th, 2012 Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
Mermaidista
Teenager
Teenager
Mermaidista

Female Join date : 2012-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Florida Snowdog Camp Feb. 3rd-5th, 2012   Florida Snowdog Camp Feb. 3rd-5th, 2012 EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 11:11 pm

Awesome!!!!

If my tax refund comes in time, we will be heading to Snowdog Camp! Very Happy

We don't have ANY camping stuff, lol, so we would have to buy stuff first too.
Back to top Go down
http://seaside.scentsy.us
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Florida Snowdog Camp Feb. 3rd-5th, 2012   Florida Snowdog Camp Feb. 3rd-5th, 2012 EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 11:26 pm

check craigslist!
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

PostSubject: Re: Florida Snowdog Camp Feb. 3rd-5th, 2012   Florida Snowdog Camp Feb. 3rd-5th, 2012 EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 11:29 pm

Mermaidista wrote:
Awesome!!!!

If my tax refund comes in time, we will be heading to Snowdog Camp! Very Happy

We don't have ANY camping stuff, lol, so we would have to buy stuff first too.

I have an extra tent that you can borrow. You'll just need something to sleep on and a sleeping bag or blankets.

Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

PostSubject: Re: Florida Snowdog Camp Feb. 3rd-5th, 2012   Florida Snowdog Camp Feb. 3rd-5th, 2012 EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 11:19 am

Camp starts today!!! Now it says it's not going to rain, but it's going to be a little bit warmer. Hopefully everyone can find their way. There's no cell phone signal out in Ocala Nat. Forest! I think I have most everything packed. Making some things for pot luck tonight. Excited to see everyone there and finally meet the South FL people!

Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Florida Snowdog Camp Feb. 3rd-5th, 2012   Florida Snowdog Camp Feb. 3rd-5th, 2012 EmptySun Feb 05, 2012 7:41 pm

We're backkk!!! Had an amazing, amazing, amazing time!!! For it being our first time camping it was not bad at all. The campsite was beautiful, the pups had an awesome time, and we didn't get attacked by bears Wink All of the huskies are adorable!! Kristinas pack were angels (as usual) and it was great to meet Sara and her girls! Elara and Siku are even cuter in person! Denise came with Frankie also. He's so good and took good care of his momma I love you My two were, well, my two. LOL. Kody whined every time my husband or I left his side, on the trail while hiking, when he wanted to play with another dog, etc. Actually, he whined most of the time, but at least he slept at night and didn't wake up at 6am Razz I had to wake him up at 7am.

Just 2 tiny mishaps had to happen (of course). First, Mya was on her tie out that was tied to a tree. She lunged to grab a ball that my husband threw at her and snapped her prong collar. Yep, snapped the prong collar! Shocked Thank goodness that he was standing there and grabbed her when I screamed and that Kristina had a choke collar that I was able to put on her. Then right before we left today we took them on a bike ride to tire them out (Sara brought her 2 bikes and springer and I brought the walky dog), Mya saw a squirrel (they were EVERYWHERE), lunged in front of the bike, took hubby down, and hurt her paw pale Pretty nasty gash, but she should be ok. She's not happy about having her paw wrapped up and wearing a bootie. I can tell it hurts her Sad

It was an awesome time and I'm so glad that we went! I'm going to put in some videos in the video section and some pics as well, but I CAN'T WAIT to see Kristinas!!!!! bounce
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Florida Snowdog Camp Feb. 3rd-5th, 2012   Florida Snowdog Camp Feb. 3rd-5th, 2012 Empty

Back to top Go down

Florida Snowdog Camp Feb. 3rd-5th, 2012

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next