It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

recommended shampoo

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
silvertoast
Newborn
Newborn
silvertoast

Male Join date : 2012-02-03

shampoo - recommended shampoo Empty
PostSubject: recommended shampoo   shampoo - recommended shampoo EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 12:33 am

what is everyone using (recommend) for washing their husky?

so far the best i have found is the cheap petsmart shampoo with baking soda (can get it in a big jug)
works fairly well and the baking soda helps cut down on the smell. though not completly

which ones are a better odor killer

layla stays clean but she stinks even after the bath
Back to top Go down
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Male Join date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: recommended shampoo   shampoo - recommended shampoo EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 12:36 am

Stinks? That's uncommon with this breed. I wish I had better advice on why she might have an odor after a bath.

We use EarthBath oatmeal. It's our favorite.
Back to top Go down
silvertoast
Newborn
Newborn
silvertoast

PostSubject: Re: recommended shampoo   shampoo - recommended shampoo EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 12:39 am

yeah, not an unbearable stink, but strong enough that u dont want her in the bed or on furniture.
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: recommended shampoo   shampoo - recommended shampoo EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 2:57 am

That is weird for a husky to stink. Maybe she has anal gland problems. That will make a dog smell funny and really stink sometimes.

I've used a few different kinds. I really like bar soaps for dogs cause its easier to use. I also like earthbath and Quadruped.

shampoo - recommended shampoo Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Mikko'sMum
Puppy
Puppy
Mikko'sMum

Female Join date : 2011-04-05

PostSubject: Re: recommended shampoo   shampoo - recommended shampoo EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 8:33 am

My Mom's sibe stinks too, even after just having a bath. After years of trying to figure out why, we've concluded that it's a skin yeast infection of some sort. He did eventually get a rash under his chin he would scratch and scratch. It helped to clean it with vinegar diluted with water.
Do u feed your dog grain free dogfood? That could be causing an allergic reaction on the skin causing the smell...My Mom's dog got a lot better when she switched him to a grain free food.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: recommended shampoo   shampoo - recommended shampoo EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 9:15 am

My shampoo favorites are the Earthbath line, the Bio-Groom line, and for when my sibe gets an odor that won't quit I love Fresh N Clean Oatmeal & Baking Soda shampoo.

Your dog should not have a lingering odor after bathing so it would be advisable to figure out the source/underlying cause so you can eliminate it. When my sibe had an odor that frequent bathing did not fix, we looked for a source. Turned out that the heat and humidity when we lived in FL was drying out his skin and causing it to flake, i.e. it was causing dandruff. So we started using the high velocity dryer on him every few days to keep his coat/skin dry from the humidity that gets trapped and blast out any dandruff that may have accumulated. Using the dryer instantly fixed the problem in our case. Point is, find the underlying cause and address that, shampoos can only do so much.

Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Male Join date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: recommended shampoo   shampoo - recommended shampoo EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 11:08 am

Huskyluv wrote:
... find the underlying cause and address that, shampoos can only do so much.

Which can often be to exacerbate the problem
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: recommended shampoo   shampoo - recommended shampoo EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 5:20 pm

Earthbath Mango Very Happy Someone on here recommended Bounce conditioning spray for use in between baths (sry don't remember who Sad ) I got some and use that once or twice a month. I would definitely figure out why she smells, Kale doesn't have any odor at all and his last bath was in December.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: recommended shampoo   shampoo - recommended shampoo EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 5:25 pm

Also love the Earthbath products!

I would have a vet take a look at her. I had a collie growing up that would get skin/yeast infections that would cause her to smell, even after a bath.
Back to top Go down
silvertoast
Newborn
Newborn
silvertoast

PostSubject: Re: recommended shampoo   shampoo - recommended shampoo EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 5:34 pm

she is outside most of the time (she wants to be) so the being outside and running around most the day is what causes her to stink. its just a regular dirty dog smell nothing unusual. just wodering what products worked best to make her smell clean after a bath. she is just gettin to the point were she can sleep inside at nite (out of the kennel) with out getting into stuff. so the dirty dog smell is startin to bother us.
Back to top Go down
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: recommended shampoo   shampoo - recommended shampoo EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 5:51 pm

Oh, the dirt smell! There are sprays and wipes you can use between baths that may help too. There is a shampoo that they used at the vet clinic I worked at called Fresh Pet. It smells REALLY strong, and the smell lasts a long time, well at least it did when I used it on my dog! Its a bright orange color. Petco has a similar version made by arm & hammer. Only negative thing about it was that it seemed to cause dry skin.
Back to top Go down
iceblulady
Adult
Adult
iceblulady

Female Join date : 2012-01-06

PostSubject: Re: recommended shampoo   shampoo - recommended shampoo EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 7:05 pm

I use Paul Mitchell no tear puppy shampoo. Since he is all white every other washing I use an oatmeal whiting shampoo from PetSmart.
Thor really does not smell unless he is really dirty then he smells like burnt popcorn Shocked
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: recommended shampoo   shampoo - recommended shampoo EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 7:16 pm

iceblulady wrote:
Thor really does not smell unless he is really dirty then he smells like burnt popcorn Shocked

lol! SOOOO true!

shampoo - recommended shampoo 1347041234
Back to top Go down
iceblulady
Adult
Adult
iceblulady

Female Join date : 2012-01-06

PostSubject: Re: recommended shampoo   shampoo - recommended shampoo EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 7:32 pm

hypers987 wrote:
iceblulady wrote:

lol! SOOOO true!

shampoo - recommended shampoo 1347041234

Yours does to? Everyone just looks at me like I nuts when I say that..lol
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: recommended shampoo   shampoo - recommended shampoo EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 12:49 am

Yea lol We always know when iwe need to take the "bath" trip to Pet Extreme lol He starts to smell like corn hahaha
Back to top Go down
Kiyonai
Teenager
Teenager
Kiyonai

Female Join date : 2012-02-01

PostSubject: Re: recommended shampoo   shampoo - recommended shampoo EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 2:06 am

I enjoy the furminator deshed shampoo, it helped with Diesel quite a bit. He still shed but it wasn't NEARLY as much. I love the way it smells too... like...papaya or mango or something. I use the my FURst shampoo on Xiah, it seems very gentle as well. I had to use it on Lucy (John's brother's golden/lab mutt) the other day a LOT because she played in the leftover ashes from burning leaves >_<! It made my hands very soft and didn't dry them out (after spending nearly 2 hours in the tub), and it never seemed like it bothered her eyes.
Back to top Go down
xredrainx
Teenager
Teenager
xredrainx

Male Join date : 2012-05-24

PostSubject: Shampoo Suggestions   shampoo - recommended shampoo EmptyWed May 15, 2013 12:52 pm

Looking to buy some shampoo for Thane just to have on hand when he gets really smelly or super dirty. I used to have him groomed 3 times a year but now it's just to much and also when he just happens to roll in poop I don't want to be unprepared and use some random soap I have lol. So I'm looking for something that will be good for his skin and will make him silky smooth XD (I live in Canada if that helps)
Back to top Go down
Amber and Lexi
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2013-05-04

PostSubject: Re: recommended shampoo   shampoo - recommended shampoo EmptyWed May 15, 2013 2:03 pm

The best is an otmeal base lets them breath easier and is great for smell! I live in canada as well pet smart has Top Paw "otmeal and baking soda" shampoo for 1.99-20.99 depending on the size Smile hope it helps i also used to make my own
Back to top Go down
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

Female Join date : 2012-10-25

PostSubject: Re: recommended shampoo   shampoo - recommended shampoo EmptyWed May 15, 2013 2:36 pm

I believe there is a similar thread, if you do a search? I'm on my phone so I won't go looking for it now, but my favorite is the Earthbath oatmeal and aloe one.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: recommended shampoo   shampoo - recommended shampoo EmptyWed May 15, 2013 2:41 pm

We have a thread on this already, please utilize the search feature.

Recommended shampoo?

Teenager
Teenager
xredrainx

Male Join date : 2012-05-24

PostSubject: Re: recommended shampoo   shampoo - recommended shampoo EmptyWed May 15, 2013 2:56 pm

I did and I saw it, still threw it out there since it's been a year more or less since that post and people may have run into new products that they enjoy/recommend.

I'll just continue on someone else's thread next time or just state the above in the original post.
thank you
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: recommended shampoo   shampoo - recommended shampoo EmptyWed May 15, 2013 3:40 pm

Yeah, next time just revive the old thread. I will merge this with the existing thread to keep the forum tidy.

Teenager
Teenager
Bella_Jasper

Female Join date : 2013-02-08

PostSubject: Re: recommended shampoo   shampoo - recommended shampoo EmptyWed May 15, 2013 8:07 pm

My sister and I use Mane and Tail shampoo on my two huskies and her pit mix. We used it years ago on the family dogs also.
Back to top Go down
HuskyAvalanche
Puppy
Puppy
HuskyAvalanche

Female Join date : 2013-05-15

PostSubject: Re: recommended shampoo   shampoo - recommended shampoo EmptyThu May 16, 2013 12:34 am

I use the Mane and Tail as well on my husky, Lucian. In between baths I love the dry shampoo diy, it is fantastic and cheap. Hey it works! All you need is baking soda, your favorite natural oil and a very fine sifter, I prefer lemon grass, and coconut oils and I use some lavender and tea tree oil as well. great in between freshness, or a quick pick me up, it does not over power your huskies wonderful scent!!!! You take your baking soda, and 2 tbl. spoons of the oil of your choice as long as it is natural, or mix and match to scents, what ever you prefer, one tbl. spoon per each oil.
Then you just sift it to get the clumps from the oil out. and you have wonderful dry shampoo that smells awesome. You may want to go outside for this, it gets messy!
just pour some in your hands and rub throughout the hair until you are satisfied, then comb out. The baking soda absorbs the dirt and oils, and yes this is partly why you added oil so you aren't leaving your husk dry! Now you can enjoy a light scent mingled with their wonderful scent, and a nice shiny coat. Freeze leftovers, you may have to resift upon defrosting!
Back to top Go down
Bella_Jasper
Teenager
Teenager
Bella_Jasper

Female Join date : 2013-02-08

PostSubject: Re: recommended shampoo   shampoo - recommended shampoo EmptyThu May 16, 2013 1:48 am

Definetly going to have to try your diy dry shampoo! seems like our dogs get a bit of a smell after three months, they were washed in january when they came home and are getting a bit smelly now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: recommended shampoo   shampoo - recommended shampoo Empty

Back to top Go down

recommended shampoo

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next