It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Could they have worms?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

Could they have worms? Empty
PostSubject: Could they have worms?   Could they have worms? EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 4:33 pm

I know some of you are aware of our local feral cat problem, and how they constantly crap in our back yard. Well, the dogs then go out and eat said crap, which is why we can no longer let them out in our FENCED yard off leash. I'm pretty pissed off about this little problem.

Anyway, this morning I had Ghost out first thing, and it looked like she had some difficulty with her morning poop. It seemed to come out normally, but then she started straining followed by getting really antsy. She started to kind of shake her butt, then spin in quick little circles (all the while still squatting), and then proceeded to drag her butt across the lawn. During this (and I couldn't see in the dark), I heard what might have been diarrhea as well. She hasn't pooped since. Fast forward to now, Lulu just dragged her butt across the floor, which is something I have never seen her do and which Aaron said she hasn't done in years.

Do you guys think they could have gotten worms from eating the cat poop?

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Could they have worms? 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Could they have worms?   Could they have worms? EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 5:14 pm

We have the EXACT same issue! I also have stopped letting my dogs roam free in my fenced yard. The cats in my neighborhood are also feral, so I'm sure they are full of parasites. I'm so pissed that I wasted all that money to put up a fence. All I did was fence in the neighborhood litterbox.

I definitly think they could have gotten worms from eating cat poop. Depending on which heartworm preventative you use, it may have dewormer in it. Even though I use a heartworm preventitive that deworms against roundworms, hookworms, whipworms, and tapeworms, I still give an additional dose of dewormer to the girls now, just due to the volume of disgusting cat poop they are exposed to/eat. We deworm with fenbendazole.

I'm guessing you haven't had any luck using any cat repellents. I've tried everything and nothing has worked. I was going to trap them, but no shelters will take them if I do catch them! Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

PostSubject: Re: Could they have worms?   Could they have worms? EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 5:42 pm

Just let Luka and Kitty eat the cats?
Back to top Go down
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Could they have worms?   Could they have worms? EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 6:06 pm

Erinc wrote:

OHHH I'm totally tempted to let them do that! They would do it to, my huskies are definitly not cat-friendly.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Could they have worms?   Could they have worms? EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 6:15 pm

If we didn't have cats in the house, I'd let Ghost have free run. I just don't want her getting te idea that cats taste good. Nothing so far has worked, and animal control has been called by other neighbors with no effect. One of my physical therapists lives 2 streets over and is having the same problem.

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Back to top Go down
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

PostSubject: Re: Could they have worms?   Could they have worms? EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 6:18 pm

I'd have thought with your huskies marking your back yard, the cats would steer clear of it?

edit: i know someone who recently brought a cat and then brought some orange spray to deter him from scratching/biting at the furniture? Apparently they hate oranges.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Could they have worms?   Could they have worms? EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 6:22 pm

It's possible they could have worms, I'd drop off a stool sample from each dog at the vet just to confirm though.

Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Could they have worms?   Could they have worms? EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 6:46 pm

Erinc wrote:
That made me giggle out loud Razz

Adult
Adult
iceblulady

Female Join date : 2012-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Could they have worms?   Could they have worms? EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 6:57 pm

As much as I hate to say this if AC can not keep up maybe try to trap some and relocate them to another area. Like maybe a big wooded area.
Back to top Go down
silvertoast
Newborn
Newborn
silvertoast

Male Join date : 2012-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Could they have worms?   Could they have worms? EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 10:02 pm

if u can stand the smell, u can put moth balls around the fence in ur yard, itll keep cats away. side note dont know if the mothball would harm the dogs if eaten though, so research first
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Could they have worms?   Could they have worms? EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 11:18 pm

iceblulady wrote:
As much as I hate to say this if AC can not keep up maybe try to trap some and relocate them to another area. Like maybe ..................................

The Gulf of Mexico
Back to top Go down
iceblulady
Adult
Adult
iceblulady

Female Join date : 2012-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Could they have worms?   Could they have worms? EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 11:32 pm

Here4thePics wrote:
iceblulady wrote:
As much as I hate to say this if AC can not keep up maybe try to trap some and relocate them to another area. Like maybe ..................................

The Gulf of Mexico

hahaha...no not the Gulf of Mexico
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Could they have worms?   Could they have worms? EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 12:15 am

iceblulady wrote:
Here4thePics wrote:
iceblulady wrote:

The Gulf of Mexico

Hmmm... I actually like that idea... I'm only like 2 miles from Escambia Bay Twisted Evil

Val, I'm going to get a stool sample and drop it at the vets on my way to work on Monday if I still see indicators over the weekend. They seem fine tonight, but I'll keep an eye on them.

Chad, have you had any dealings with Milton AC? We've only lived here for about 8 months so we really haven't dealt much with that.

Back to top Go down
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

PostSubject: Re: Could they have worms?   Could they have worms? EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 5:35 am

cmanding wrote:
Erinc wrote:
That made me giggle out loud Razz

i do try Smile
Back to top Go down
i<3neo
Teenager
Teenager
i<3neo

Female Join date : 2011-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Could they have worms?   Could they have worms? EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 11:57 am

I had a wild cat problem at my old house. I thought about poisoning them, bit I didn't want them to suffer. I trapped a few with a coon trap and took them far away and dropped them off. ( animal control wouldn't take them). I will not mention what happened to the rest.
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Could they have worms?   Could they have worms? EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 1:52 pm

Meredith that one cat poo you have checked might be worm free but it doesn't mean the others will be.

Time for shark bait and Escambia Bay
Back to top Go down
silvertoast
Newborn
Newborn
silvertoast

Male Join date : 2012-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Could they have worms?   Could they have worms? EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 2:28 pm

blueeyedghost wrote:
iceblulady wrote:
Here4thePics wrote:
iceblulady wrote:

The Gulf of Mexico

Hmmm... I actually like that idea... I'm only like 2 miles from Escambia Bay Twisted Evil

Val, I'm going to get a stool sample and drop it at the vets on my way to work on Monday if I still see indicators over the weekend. They seem fine tonight, but I'll keep an eye on them.

Chad, have you had any dealings with Milton AC? We've only lived here for about 8 months so we really haven't dealt much with that.

if ur refering to milton animal control? then yeah i have dealt with them due to stray cats/dogs in our neighborhood. in short they suck. closed on weekends and usualy dont show up or at least the same day u call, funny thing is there is a guy who lives one block up from me that is animal control.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Could they have worms?   Could they have worms? Empty

Back to top Go down

Could they have worms?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1