It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
rnelsen
Teenager
Teenager
rnelsen

Female Join date : 2012-01-05

Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!!   Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!! EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 9:25 pm

Okay so I can hardly contain my excitement, I had to get it out somewhere...

My husband and I have actually just discussed, and agreed, on trying to adopt another husky. He fell in love with a brand new intake on SHRF's website and we agree we think this will be great for Drake. He has shown tremendous improvement, especially after socializing with his other husky friend, and I think as long as this dog is affectionate, outgoing, and not fearful that this would help him SO much.

I'm worried about what the rescue will say. They thought Drake should be in a single dog home, but I don't think that was a good assessment of his needs and others I have talked with don't think so either. I think that another dog will help him overcome his fears so much faster and will work wonders on his temperament.

My husband and I are so excited about this possibility and we really want this to work out. I called the woman I dealt with when adopting Drake but I had to leave a voicemail. We figured it would be better to talk to her before submitting an application online.

The little girl we want is at the bottom of the page...Koda Bear. I love you

Please wish us luck in this, we think it would be such a great think for us and Drake. And, they would be twins!!
Back to top Go down
rnelsen
Teenager
Teenager
rnelsen

PostSubject: Re: Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!!   Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!! EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 9:25 pm

http://www.siberrescue.com/doghouseaccept_new_intakes.htm
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!!   Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!! EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 9:29 pm

She's cute! Good luck!!
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!!   Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!! EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 9:34 pm

Good luck! I hope they listen to you and see all the evidence you guys have with how much Drake has improved with the socialization. She's really cute, too!

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!! 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
rnelsen
Teenager
Teenager
rnelsen

PostSubject: Re: Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!!   Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!! EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 10:05 pm

Phone call with SHRF went well, they think it would be great for us to adopt another! They think the foster of Koda Bear may want to end up adopting her, so she has to call and find out. We would be disappointed if that was the case, but there's another female black and white who is a year old and is extremely friendly and active who we would also consider. So we'll just have to wait and see what happens, but we're so excited!!!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!!   Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!! EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 10:09 pm

Good luck!
The rescue thought Ginger should be an only dog....She's a princess, but she can hang with any other dog.

Teenager
Teenager
rnelsen

PostSubject: Re: Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!!   Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!! EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 10:25 pm

Thank you, Claudia! Even if we don't get Koda Bear we're fairly certain we'll look into adopting Nicky. I'm just excited to be getting another furbaby, and a sister for Drake. I'll keep everyone posted!
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!!   Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!! EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 11:00 pm

Good luck! I think it will be a great thing for Drake. So exciting!
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
Mermaidista
Teenager
Teenager
Mermaidista

Female Join date : 2012-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!!   Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!! EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 11:28 pm

That is awesome news Rachel! I think he would be super happy with a friend too!

Be patient and keep your eyes open...I know the SHRF has some other resues coming up for adoption soon. Wink

Let's hope Koda Bear works out for you first though! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://seaside.scentsy.us
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!!   Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!! EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 5:08 am

Good luck Smile

You are probably right, another dog will probably help Drake come out of his shell even more Smile
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!!   Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!! EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 11:11 am

Good luck!!! She is a beautiful dog! I actually just called a lady yesterday about a female white husky. They are gorgeous, I love how beautiful Drake is.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!!   Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!! EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 1:02 pm

Congrats guys, I certainly think that will help him along. If you do get to adopt a 2nd just be sure to keep working 1-on-1 with him about being less nervous around you guys. You don't want him to become totally dependent on having the 2nd dog around for him to be able to comfortably function.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
rnelsen
Teenager
Teenager
rnelsen

PostSubject: Re: Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!!   Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!! EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 2:06 pm

Well, Koda Bear is available for adoption! The fosters have decided not to adopt her because they want to be able to continue fostering because there is such a need for that in their area. This is great news for us. Smile

I have already spoken to Nicky's foster this morning. She said Nicky was very high energy and a typical husky teenager who didn't want to listen. But if we consider adopting her I think that is something that can be worked on.

Waiting to hear from Koda Bear's foster mom. I personally don't have a preference between the two, I just want the best fit for Drake, but my husband has his heart set on Koda Bear and doesn't seem too enthusiastic about Nicky. Hopefully I'll hear from the other foster today and we can make a visit this week. And perhaps have a new furbaby by the weekend if everything goes well!!

Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

PostSubject: Re: Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!!   Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!! EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 2:13 pm

yaaaay!!!!! so excited for you!!! i looked at the link you posted and both are adorable!! those blue eyes of koda bear have me melting, so i'm with you're husband on this one! Smile hope everything works out!!
Back to top Go down
rnelsen
Teenager
Teenager
rnelsen

PostSubject: Re: Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!!   Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!! EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 2:22 pm

arooroomom wrote:
Congrats guys, I certainly think that will help him along. If you do get to adopt a 2nd just be sure to keep working 1-on-1 with him about being less nervous around you guys. You don't want him to become totally dependent on having the 2nd dog around for him to be able to comfortably function.

Completely agree with you, Kristina. I've already told my husband we have to make sure we're just as diligent working with him, even though it may be harder with the distraction of another dog.
Back to top Go down
rnelsen
Teenager
Teenager
rnelsen

PostSubject: Re: Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!!   Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!! EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 2:24 pm

Hayden_69 wrote:
yaaaay!!!!! so excited for you!!! i looked at the link you posted and both are adorable!! those blue eyes of koda bear have me melting, so i'm with you're husband on this one! Smile hope everything works out!!

OMG I know, isn't she adorable?? Beautiful eyes. She is underweight though, poor thing only weighs about 35 pounds so she needs a good diet. We just ordered another crate online, makes this seem more real! Even if it's not Koda Bear at least we've decided that we WILL be getting another soon.
Back to top Go down
Mermaidista
Teenager
Teenager
Mermaidista

PostSubject: Re: Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!!   Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!! EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 2:25 pm

rnelsen wrote:
Well, Koda Bear is available for adoption! The fosters have decided not to adopt her because they want to be able to continue fostering because there is such a need for that in their area. This is great news for us. Smile

I have already spoken to Nicky's foster this morning. She said Nicky was very high energy and a typical husky teenager who didn't want to listen. But if we consider adopting her I think that is something that can be worked on.

Waiting to hear from Koda Bear's foster mom. I personally don't have a preference between the two, I just want the best fit for Drake, but my husband has his heart set on Koda Bear and doesn't seem too enthusiastic about Nicky. Hopefully I'll hear from the other foster today and we can make a visit this week. And perhaps have a new furbaby by the weekend if everything goes well!!

I understand the foster's situation. We have chosen as well to not adopt any dogs that we foster because we don't want to stop fostering. Wink We are lucky to be fosters for SHRF, because there is a very high need for it. We can't do it all the time, so when we can't I am glad to help. It is hard to not want to keep them all. Very Happy

As for Koda Bear, I would try to adopt her first. I've noticed when potential adopters get their heart set on a specific dog, it is usually for a reason. Smile The dog just has that "certain something". We had someone interested in our foster boy, but he had his heart set on a black/white male with two blue eyes. We encouraged him to keep looking and if he still wants to see ours, he is welcome to. And foster boy here is very wolf greyish in color. Not that we all can't learn to love any of the huskies, but people want what they want and are usually much happier in the end getting that particular dog in mind.

Best of luck to you! I'm hoping our foster boy will be on the SHRF site soon! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
rnelsen
Teenager
Teenager
rnelsen

PostSubject: Re: Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!!   Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!! EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 2:29 pm

Great advice, Nikki. I would almost feel guilty ruling Nicky out for no good reason, just because we like the other one better lol. But we fell in love with Drake after seeing him online, so maybe there is something to be said for that "love at first sight" connection. Smile

Janet told me that there are 3 new intakes in the Pensacola area, are those your fosters??? She said they were all black and white with bi eyes.
Back to top Go down
Mermaidista
Teenager
Teenager
Mermaidista

PostSubject: Re: Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!!   Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!! EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 2:43 pm

I do believe everything happens for a reason! There is likely someone, somewhere, falling in love with Nicky instantly like your husband fell for Koda Bear. Very Happy

Yes! We have one of the boys here, the stray. Another lady has a boy, Blaze, nearby, and we are going to, hopefully, get the girl, Trixie out of the shelter tomorrow. The plan was for the lady to take Blaze and Trixie together, because they were owner surrenders and had grown up together for the last 2 years, but Trixie is currently in heat and we had no where to keep her safe. Sad And yes, they are all black/white with bi eyes! Just our boy here is more brownish. Too funny they all looked so similiar.

SMH...all the huskies that came into the shelter were over a year old and not fixed. Sad
Back to top Go down
iceblulady
Adult
Adult
iceblulady

Female Join date : 2012-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!!   Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!! EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 3:33 pm

She is gorgeous, I was just looking her a while ago wondering if I could sneak in another white husky past my hubby...lol She looks just like Thor my white husky.
I hope all goes well and you get her Smile
Back to top Go down
rnelsen
Teenager
Teenager
rnelsen

PostSubject: Re: Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!!   Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!! EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 3:44 pm

Just talked to Koda Bear's foster, and she sounds like such a sweetheart! Simply a perfect fit, we are so very excited!! She has to be microchipped, so depending on timing we will probably drive down on Wednesday night or on Saturday. We are beyond excited!!!!
Back to top Go down
capblossoms
Teenager
Teenager
capblossoms

Female Join date : 2011-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!!   Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!! EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 3:50 pm

YAY! Great news! It sounds like it will be GREAT for Drake to have a buddy!
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!!   Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!! EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 3:55 pm

Aw congratulations!!!!!

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

PostSubject: Re: Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!!   Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!! EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 4:15 pm

drive down for a visit or bring her home??
Back to top Go down
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!!   Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!! EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 4:22 pm

Thats super exciting! She is very cute. Hopefully she will be a great fit for your family!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!!   Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!! Empty

Back to top Go down

Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next