It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
rnelsen
Teenager
Teenager
rnelsen

Female Join date : 2012-01-05

Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!! - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!!   Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!! - Page 4 EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 9:44 pm

You guys are awesome!! Thank you for the overwhelming support and advice. I love you

MUCH better day today. She only snapped at him a couple of times, once was food related (my hubby's fault) and the other was while they were "playing". No teeth baring or snarling today, which was what bothered me the most. She still growls sometimes and will snap, but hoping that it will keep getting better and better. We've actually seen two HUGE improvements with Drake. Today he actually walked with my hubby much farther than usual. Granted he pulled the entire time, but the fact that he walked with him and Koda is unbelievable. Also, Chris was loving on Koda and giving her hugs and pets, and Drake walked up to him. Chris stuck his hand out and petted him a few seconds on the neck and head. Drake didn't run away! I was in DISBELIEF. This has never happened before.

Here is the link to a video I took a few minutes ago of them playing. Maybe she is just a very vocal wrestler, lol. I'm pretty sure she wasn't being aggressive, although the way she plays is definitely dominant over him. Let me know what you guys think! (Sorry for the background noise, my husband was on the phone)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VDMEJ0--j0
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!!   Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!! - Page 4 EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 9:49 pm

OMG. They are 100% playing Smile I'm 1:30 into it and I haven't seen a single thing that's made me concerned Smile They are going to get along great!

And I'm totally going to say I told ya so Wink

We don't realize as people how important consistency and smells are to animals. The fact that Koda had NOTHING that smelled like HER (coming from a foster that she had only been with a week, she didn't have time to develop any smells of her own even IF they sent her along with a bed or something). Not having that really puts dogs on the defensive. They are scared and vulnerable and we don't realize that their growls are signs of fear and are their way of communicating.

Breathe Smile They are going to be best friends in no time! They already love each other I love you

Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!! - Page 4 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Mermaidista
Teenager
Teenager
Mermaidista

Female Join date : 2012-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!!   Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!! - Page 4 EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 9:50 pm

BAHAHAHAHA!!! lol!

That's good play fighting! Very Happy Yay! That's how Neptune and Calypso play. Very Happy

LOL...I could tell which one was her...Drake has the blue collar right? LOL'd at her always nipping at his butt! And I heard one of them eat it as they ran through the kitchen. Haha
Back to top Go down
http://seaside.scentsy.us
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!!   Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!! - Page 4 EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 9:53 pm

Oh I love it! They look so cute playing together!! I love how Drake lets her do anything to him <3
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!!   Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!! - Page 4 EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 10:01 pm

Omg girl, TOTALLY PLAYING!!! Mya's so vocal (much more than Koda in this video) that I would get scared to death. It's just what she does. They're so cute together!! I really don't think that you have anything to worry about. At least not anything major. They'll be attached at the hip before you know it.

YAYAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!!   Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!! - Page 4 EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 10:01 pm

That's AMAZING progress for the 2nd day!!!! Geez even Cheyenne was a nasty beyotch to Mishka for at least 2 weeks. that's totally play, and great play too!

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!!   Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!! - Page 4 EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 10:04 pm

Oh they are having so much fun! And they are both so cute.
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!!   Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!! - Page 4 EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 10:20 pm

FWIW- I have yet to see a video from someone that even comes CLOSE to matching the intensity, growling, baring of teeth that I saw between Koda and Hailey. Sam's picture is the only thing that somewhat captures the ferocity between the two.

In other words... ya'll are fine Smile

Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!! - Page 4 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!!   Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!! - Page 4 EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 10:31 pm

No problems there at all. Wait until they start with the cheek pulling, gashing teeth and what not, it continues to amaze me that neither one has lost an eye. Though Adobo did lose a front top tooth one day, shes now the Laura Hutton of the Husky world.
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!!   Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!! - Page 4 EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 10:43 pm

Oh no, she lost a tooth that way?! Mine do that all the time and I hate it! I'm always so worried they'll knock out a tooth.

They look like they are having a blast! That's really great for day two. Drake is so funny in the way he plays! It did look like she kind of wanted to hump him at a couple of points, but he spun around quick enough so she couldn't. But that looked like good husky fun!

Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!! - Page 4 Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!!   Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!! - Page 4 EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 11:45 pm

Great video! dogs play well, makes me wish I could get a 2nd husky for Cali to play with..lol.
Back to top Go down
iceblulady
Adult
Adult
iceblulady

Female Join date : 2012-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!!   Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!! - Page 4 EmptyMon Feb 20, 2012 12:08 am

YAY!!!! What a great video, so glad to see the 2nd day was way better. bounce
Back to top Go down
rnelsen
Teenager
Teenager
rnelsen

PostSubject: Re: Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!!   Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!! - Page 4 EmptyMon Feb 20, 2012 1:18 am

Awww yay! I'm so happy. We love her, we love him, I'm so glad they're getting along and you guys could reassure me that their play is in good fun and isn't anything to be concerned about. They just finished wrestling again and running around...now Koda is content to chew a bone and Drake is laying on the ground whining and barking trying to get her to pay attention to him, lol. I'm so in love with my huskies. I love you
Back to top Go down
rnelsen
Teenager
Teenager
rnelsen

PostSubject: Re: Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!!   Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!! - Page 4 EmptyMon Feb 20, 2012 1:31 am

hollywoodhuskies wrote:
Rachel, I know it's tough right now - because you're managing the situation with the dogs, your own anxiety and that of your husbands. I'm here, like Tori, to let you know it will pass. Smile It sucks when you're in the middle of it but it helps so much to know there's an end! Like Tori said, it tapers off. The NILIF helps A LOT. Not letting her up on the furniture helps, too. This forum was very helpful in receiving advice and support! You've received great advice from Tori and Kristina.

The fact that she's ok everywhere but home is a good sign, she's just establishing the pack order at home. Our Chili was ruthless the first couple weeks! The rescue advised us on our situation and told us to let them fight it out, but not let him be a brat. A water spray bottle helps when he was nearing the "brat" stage.

Be careful not to tell her "no" when she's growling, because it may train her to not growl and just attack. Growling isn't bad, it's her setting boundaries with Drake by warning him. Redirect her growling to remind her who's boss - we tell Chili "down" because it's a submissive position for him to be in. Or remove her from the situation, like Kristina suggested.

Good luck! Smile

Before - paw to paw combat (this was day two):
Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!! - Page 4 31827910

After - a month later:
Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!! - Page 4 Photo_21

Those pictures are AWESOME! lol. It made me laugh so hard! Thank goodness it's not like that!!
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!!   Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!! - Page 4 EmptyMon Feb 20, 2012 1:55 am

rnelsen wrote:
hollywoodhuskies wrote:

Before - paw to paw combat (this was day two):
Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!! - Page 4 31827910

After - a month later:
Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!! - Page 4 Photo_21

Those pictures are AWESOME! lol. It made me laugh so hard! Thank goodness it's not like that!!

Ha! Thanks! Wink We can laugh about it now, especially how ridiculous Chili's teeth look in that picture (rabbit teeth!). He did puncture his sister a couple of times after that - mostly in the cheek. It'll all good now. Smile

The video you posted is awesome - that's very good progress! This is the BEST part of having two huskies! It's so much fun to watch! Smile

You'll notice if the play fighting crosses over to actual fighting. It usually happens pretty fast - but is preceded by real growling (the classic "wolf" baring of teeth where their noses scrunch up - snarling). If the noses don't scrunch up, it's usually a mild warning or play growl. if it escalates, I just yell "hey!" at them really loud and they calm down. Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!! - Page 4 Snarling_grey_wolf

You'll also notice their subtle body language as they interact. Drake may use "calming signals" to show Koda he's no harm (Frosti did a lot of yawning, and shaking her body):

"Dogs use these calming signals to improve a tense situation. Other calming signals dogs use are licking their noses, squinting and sniffing the ground.

• Yawning
• Look away
• Crouch down with your side towards the dog – not face to face
• Use slow movements
" - from http://www.pawposse.com/dog-body-language-decoded/blog-207/
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!!   Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!! - Page 4 EmptyMon Feb 20, 2012 2:06 am

lol. But this is just play too! After a while it becomes much easier to tell what is play and when play gets escalated into fighting.

Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!! - Page 4 IMG_2467

Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!! - Page 4 Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!!   Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!! - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Possibly adopting another husky!!!!!!!!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4