It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Is 6yrs old too late for NILIF training?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MetalMama
Adult
Adult
MetalMama

Female Join date : 2012-02-23

Is 6yrs old too late for NILIF training? Empty
PostSubject: Is 6yrs old too late for NILIF training?   Is 6yrs old too late for NILIF training? EmptySat Feb 25, 2012 3:31 pm

Axel is pretty well behaved but there are some things he needs to work on and Ive been reading up on NILIF and I was wondering if a 6 year old is too old to "teach new tricks"?
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Is 6yrs old too late for NILIF training?   Is 6yrs old too late for NILIF training? EmptySat Feb 25, 2012 4:30 pm

No dog is to old to learn tricks and/or behaviors. You just need to be aware that a Husky can be stubborn as hell, so breathe deep when you reach the point of wanting to slap him one because it won't work that way.
Back to top Go down
MetalMama
Adult
Adult
MetalMama

Female Join date : 2012-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Is 6yrs old too late for NILIF training?   Is 6yrs old too late for NILIF training? EmptySat Feb 25, 2012 8:22 pm

Here4thePics wrote:
No dog is to old to learn tricks and/or behaviors. You just need to be aware that a Husky can be stubborn as hell, so breathe deep when you reach the point of wanting to slap him one because it won't work that way.
Lol yea I totally get that, but I think it helps that I have loads of patience, I have 6 kids so yea patience is a must, and consistency :p
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Is 6yrs old too late for NILIF training?   Is 6yrs old too late for NILIF training? EmptySat Feb 25, 2012 10:02 pm

Age doesn't matter. "You can't teach an old dog new tricks" is a myth.

NILIF is a phenomenal training method that is less "training" and more a way of life for you and your dog. At 6, she may take a LITTLE longer to pick up on it, but because it's incorporated into everything you do, it won't be as much of an adjustment as you might think Smile

Kudos to you! NILIF is not only a great training method but it really helps you and your dog to bond Smile

Is 6yrs old too late for NILIF training? Hailey10
Back to top Go down
dahowlers
Adult
Adult
dahowlers

Female Join date : 2012-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Is 6yrs old too late for NILIF training?   Is 6yrs old too late for NILIF training? EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 4:43 pm

What is NILIF?
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Is 6yrs old too late for NILIF training?   Is 6yrs old too late for NILIF training? EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 10:05 pm

dahowlers wrote:
What is NILIF?

Nothing In Life Is Free
Back to top Go down
alex.demskie
Newborn
Newborn
alex.demskie

Male Join date : 2012-03-19

PostSubject: Re: Is 6yrs old too late for NILIF training?   Is 6yrs old too late for NILIF training? EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 4:07 am

What about too early? Within the first paragraph of NILF training it says that you should ignore your dog when he/she demands attention because that put's them in the alpha dog mindset.

Would this apply to a pup 10 week old pup? I didn't think I had to worry about him trying to become the alpha for at least another few months.
Back to top Go down
MyKeeonah
Teenager
Teenager
MyKeeonah

Male Join date : 2012-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Is 6yrs old too late for NILIF training?   Is 6yrs old too late for NILIF training? EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 4:11 am

alex.demskie wrote:
What about too early? Within the first paragraph of NILF training it says that you should ignore your dog when he/she demands attention because that put's them in the alpha dog mindset.

Would this apply to a pup 10 week old pup? I didn't think I had to worry about him trying to become the alpha for at least another few months.

It's never too early! the earlier the better. Your dog begins learning the second it walks through your front door for the first time. Everything is a building block for later.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/topdogrules.htm

^^ i highly recommend reading that. Little things that seem insignificant now can make for trouble later if you aren't on top of it from day one Smile
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Is 6yrs old too late for NILIF training?   Is 6yrs old too late for NILIF training? EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 3:29 pm

NILIF is fine at any age; dogs can keep on learning. LIke Len said, huskies are stubborn so you need patience, but so long as you are consistent then they will learn as they are very intelligent dogs.

I'm going to disagree about the alpha/dominance thing. It's based on outdated theories of wolf behaviour, that only apply to wolves in captivity and not to the way that wild wolves behave. Dogs don't spend all their time trying to be dominant; but there might be lots of other reasons that they don't do what you say (excitement, fear, something else is more fun, or they didn't learn the rules yet, for example). It doesn't matter if your dog eats before you or goes through doors before you or wins a game of tug-of-war, it depends how you want to structure things. Teaching them to wait before going through a door is fine, but it's teaching good manners, not establishing dominance.
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Is 6yrs old too late for NILIF training?   Is 6yrs old too late for NILIF training? EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 5:29 pm

Ghost wrote:
I'm going to disagree about the alpha/dominance thing. It's based on outdated theories of wolf behaviour, that only apply to wolves in captivity and not to the way that wild wolves behave. Dogs don't spend all their time trying to be dominant; but there might be lots of other reasons that they don't do what you say (excitement, fear, something else is more fun, or they didn't learn the rules yet, for example). It doesn't matter if your dog eats before you or goes through doors before you or wins a game of tug-of-war, it depends how you want to structure things. Teaching them to wait before going through a door is fine, but it's teaching good manners, not establishing dominance.

+1 from me! Very well said!
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Alindaris
Newborn
Newborn
Alindaris

Female Join date : 2012-04-17

PostSubject: Re: Is 6yrs old too late for NILIF training?   Is 6yrs old too late for NILIF training? EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 2:33 pm

Ghost wrote:

That is kinda paradigm-shifting to me. All I've been taught is the theory that my dog is constantly battling me for leadership, and if I am weak for a second, he will take over and get out of control. Is there a website or book where I can read more info on your point of view, by any chance?
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: Is 6yrs old too late for NILIF training?   Is 6yrs old too late for NILIF training? EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 11:38 pm

I think what Ghost is saying is that she instils NILIF with the intention of gaining and teaching their dog to respect them, other than trying to dominant them. When your dog respects you, they are far more likely to listen to your commands and look to you for guidance. NILIF is a lifestyle, and a positive reinforcement training method that is very effective at allowing you to teach them to look to you for affection and all of their needs. When they know what is expected of them they are far less likely to act out (as much Wink ) Someone else that is more experienced might chime in and explain better lol

Last edited by hypers987 on Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

PostSubject: Re: Is 6yrs old too late for NILIF training?   Is 6yrs old too late for NILIF training? EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 12:38 am

Alindaris wrote:

That is kinda paradigm-shifting to me. All I've been taught is the theory that my dog is constantly battling me for leadership, and if I am weak for a second, he will take over and get out of control. Is there a website or book where I can read more info on your point of view, by any chance?

Thanks for the question. You're right, it is a big shift in thinking about dogs. The original ideas of dominance came from studies of captive wolves, in which a lot of fighting for position was observed. However, these wolves had been put in a group by people and would not have lived together in nature. In fact some of the wolves in the group were seen spending a lot of time at the perimeter that suggests they would have left if they had the opportunity.

It also turns out that wild wolves don't behave in the same way as captive wolves. A pack of wild wolves is formed when a pair breed. In the past this pair would have been called the 'alpha' but it's more correct to call them the breeding pair. Dave Mech (famous wolf researcher) has a short video about this on his website
here. You can read more about why wolf studies dispute alpha theory here.

Of course, dogs are also not wolves. Studies of feral dogs don't support alpha/dominance theory either as the dogs don't seem to live in consistent packs. For example they might pair up briefly and then separate. Also there isn't a consistent hierarchy. Studies of domestic dogs interacting with each other show that they learn from interactions, and aren't constantly trying to dominate other dogs. You can read a nice report about that here.

There is a great book by John Bradshaw called Dog Sense that goes into all this in detail; he's a scientist but the book is very readable. Although it's currently just hardback or kindle, the paperback version is due out in a few weeks.

Sorry for the length of my reply! I can share other links/references if you want them.
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

PostSubject: Re: Is 6yrs old too late for NILIF training?   Is 6yrs old too late for NILIF training? EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 12:46 am

hypers987 wrote:
I think what Ghost is saying is that she instils NILIF with the intention of gaining and teaching their dog to respect them, other than trying to dominant them. When your dog respects you, they are far more likely to listen to your commands and look to you for guidance. NILIF is a lifestyle, and a positive reinforcement training method that is very effective at allowing you to teach them to look to you for affection and all of their needs. When they know what is expected of them they are far more likely to act out (as much Wink ) Someone else that is more experienced might chime in and explain better lol

Yes I would say that it is about respect and leadership rather than dominance. What I like about NILIF is that it provides many opportunities for positive reinforcement, that teach the dog how to behave, and that these are built into normal everyday interactions. Also it's applied in a consistent way, and consistency is very important in dog training (especially with an intelligent dog that will learn if it can get away with things). Personally I wouldn't (and don't) apply it to all interactions, simply because I think my dog should be able to come up to me for affection; so I think you can take it too far (I am sure many on this forum would disagree with me on that and that's okay; all I would teach Ghost is not to bother coming because he'd have to put some effort in!!!). NILIF sets clear expectations for the dog in a positive way. I'm all for positive training methods because I think in the long run they work better.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: Is 6yrs old too late for NILIF training?   Is 6yrs old too late for NILIF training? EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 1:10 am

hypers987 wrote:
He's still a puppy and is gonna test his boundaries with you. Stay strong and consistent. Your doing a great job! Very Happy Kale would misbehave for 30-45 mins EVERY night and be very stubborn when he was Sabaka's age. He would bark and dig at the floor and be a nuisance while I sat at the computer ignoring him. Inside i wanted to scream at him and toss him in his crate but I knew I had to stay strong and calm or he would never learn. When he realized his antics weren't gonna get him what he wanted he would lay down at my feet and fall asleep. THEN i would lean over and give him attention. They are just like toddlers throwing a tantrum. If the time-outs are working then keep going, he's getting the message he's just being a stubborn husky lol bounce

^from another post from this thread https://www.itsahuskything.com/t2529-nilif-training?highlight=NILIF

That's the only time I used the NILIF for affection, in instances where Kale was being a brat and misbehaving. I love positive reinforcement training methods! I see too many pets come though where I work (especially shepherds) that are trained with negative reinforcement and they are so fearful and distrusting, it's really sad.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: Is 6yrs old too late for NILIF training?   Is 6yrs old too late for NILIF training? EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 2:43 am

Awesome article I jst came across > Is NILIF Nasty?

Reading this, I'm definitely more Premack than hardcore NILIF.

Last edited by hypers987 on Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Alindaris
Newborn
Newborn
Alindaris

Female Join date : 2012-04-17

PostSubject: Re: Is 6yrs old too late for NILIF training?   Is 6yrs old too late for NILIF training? EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 2:40 pm

Thank you guys so much for all the info so quick!! I am a bit of an academic, so lots of links and things to read don't scare me. ;-) I love it! I'll be reading Dog Sense soon. I can see I have a lot to learn about training! It makes sense that dogs and wolves would be different, even if dogs came from wolves in the distant past. Each dog is an individual, though, so it seems that it's important to learn what works for your relationship and stay consistent with that.
Thanks again! I'll be back after I've read all those goodies!
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

PostSubject: Re: Is 6yrs old too late for NILIF training?   Is 6yrs old too late for NILIF training? EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 3:00 pm

Brooke, I couldn't get your Is NILIF Nasty link to work (it took me to the same link as in the previous post) but I think I know the page you mean. I agree with you, I find it really sad to see dogs that are fearful.

Deana, you are right that every dog is an individual. I think dog trainers need lots of tricks up their sleeves so that if one thing doesn't work as well as hoped, there is something else to try! My two dogs are so different (the other one is not a husky but an exciteable herding dog) and with some things (like walking nicely on a leash) they have learnt it from different methods. And the challenges are different because we all know huskies are so clever but they do have a mind of their own!
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: Is 6yrs old too late for NILIF training?   Is 6yrs old too late for NILIF training? EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 4:12 pm

Ghost wrote:
Brooke, I couldn't get your Is NILIF Nasty link to work (it took me to the same link as in the previous post) but I think I know the page you mean. I agree with you, I find it really sad to see dogs that are fearful.

Link fixed! Embarassed Sry bout that! lol

ETA- This book is really good > The Power of Positive Dog Training Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

PostSubject: Re: Is 6yrs old too late for NILIF training?   Is 6yrs old too late for NILIF training? EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 5:49 pm

I thought that was the link you meant! And don't worry, I've done that before.

That book is in my pile to read but I haven't got round to it yet. I think I'll move it to the top of the pile!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is 6yrs old too late for NILIF training?   Is 6yrs old too late for NILIF training? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is 6yrs old too late for NILIF training?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1