It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Advice Please!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

Advice Please! Empty
PostSubject: Advice Please!   Advice Please! EmptyMon Mar 19, 2012 5:06 am

Luka's stools have been loose for a week now (I thought I'd sussed it but the runny poop has beaten me again) - since yesterday morning, its been really bad - like he wants to go out every half an hour and he runs to a spot and its like someones spraying it out his backside. He isn't lethargic - appetite is fine and he is drinking lots of water. His gums are a little pale and this morning ontop of everything he threw up a little bit (once). I can't afford to take him to the vet right now but I called in and they said if you notice any blood then please bring him in, other than that just monitor. Ahhh I'm so stressed and upset its killing me - neither of us slept a wink last night so I'm hoping today goes a bit better because I have an important assignment I need to get on with as well!

I've put a little sugar in his water and I'm not feeding him anything until I'm sure there is nothing left to poo out/vomit... Then i'm going to start him on small meals of chicken and rice to see how it goes. Is there anything else you guys would suggest? I have no idea what is causing it - although I do have a strong suspicion that he isn't agreeing very well with Orijens Large Puppy Formula - his tummy wasn't too keen on TOTW either (but I think he would have done OK on it). I thought things would just clear up but they aren't - if the plain diet helps I am going to slowly reintroduce Orijen and if the stools loosen up after I do I guess I have to pick a different brand? Im not sure what else to do!
Back to top Go down
MyKeeonah
Teenager
Teenager
MyKeeonah

Male Join date : 2012-01-28

Advice Please! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice Please!   Advice Please! EmptyMon Mar 19, 2012 6:02 am

Throwing up is a very natural for a dog. There are a lot of symptoms that can make a dog vomit, the most common being consuming food too fast. Was the vomit bile? (yellowy foamy stuff), or was it little bits of food?

Keeonah had pudding poo about a month ago. If he is eating, drinking, and displaying typical puppy behavior, I wouldn't fret too much.

What you can do is withhold food (never water!) for one 24hr period. It will give your pup's body some time to repair the stomach lining, and help to solidify his next stool.

Another factor can be your pup's diet. Keeonah was on a brand of kibble that contained grains and it irritated her stomach. I switched to Taste of the Wild, and her stools got 100x better within 2 days. It isn't uncommon for some huskies to have soft stomachs. Also, consider what kinds of treats and how many treats your pup is receiving. Wet treats that are really high in crude protein can soften dogs stools if they have too many.

Unless you see a significant change in your little guy's demeanor, just adjust a few things and look for improvement. Smile
Back to top Go down
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

Advice Please! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice Please!   Advice Please! EmptyMon Mar 19, 2012 8:21 am

He threw up this morning and it was food, he threw up twice again following that and it was white and foamy. He just had his first bit of plain food since 8pm last night - he can tolerate grain so I'm going to try boiled rice and boiled chicken for today and hope to see some sort of improvement!
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

Advice Please! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice Please!   Advice Please! EmptyMon Mar 19, 2012 8:32 am

How much of the Orijen are you feeding? The problem with Orijen is it can be too rich for some dogs, and I see that more with the puppy formula.

I would withhold food and slowly reintroduce easy things on the tummy such as rice, chicken, and pumpkin. I just went through this with Rodeo and withheld food for a full 24 hours, and then put him on rice, pumpkin, and a small amount of his LID kibble as he can't have chicken.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

Advice Please! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice Please!   Advice Please! EmptyMon Mar 19, 2012 9:40 am

How did you hold off food for 24 hours? Luka goes crazy - He has been up wanting food since 6am and I finally gave in at midday :/ Gave him a tiny bit of rice and chicken and now he is asleep!

The Orijen being too rich - does that mean I should feed him less? Or just switch brands all together?
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Advice Please! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice Please!   Advice Please! EmptyMon Mar 19, 2012 10:12 am

Depends on how much you are feeding if it may be too much. How old is Luka? And how much were you giving him?

Also some dogs just don't do so hot on their puppy formulas. I think we tried Cheyenne or Mishka on it and it didn't go over well.

Back to top Go down
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

Advice Please! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice Please!   Advice Please! EmptyMon Mar 19, 2012 10:29 am

He is 5months 2weeks and he was getting 450g daily. So a little under 1lb of kibble a day.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Advice Please! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice Please!   Advice Please! EmptyMon Mar 19, 2012 12:00 pm

Woah! That's a lot! I think that's 4 cups a day... Unless he's really big...

Back to top Go down
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

Advice Please! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice Please!   Advice Please! EmptyMon Mar 19, 2012 12:23 pm

Yeh, its a quarter cup short of 4 cups. He is 44lbs at the moment but still really lean - I'm sure he could be a lot heavier and still maintain his figure.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

Advice Please! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice Please!   Advice Please! EmptyMon Mar 19, 2012 1:34 pm

Huskies are notoriously lean as puppies. They often look lanky and malnourished but as long you can feel his ribs and not see them or his hip bones, I assure you he's perfectly healthy. He could be thin because he's going to the bathroom so much and loosing some of his nutrition because the food is too rich and making him sick.

Advice Please! Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

Advice Please! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice Please!   Advice Please! EmptyMon Mar 19, 2012 2:39 pm

He was going to the bathroom a lot and puking up foam, but since i gave him a small meal at 11am he hadn't gone to the bathroom and seemed back to himself, i fed him another small meal (rice n chicken) at 2pm and then again at 4! He still hadn't been out so we went for a brisk walk and he went, hardly anything came out the back end but it was still liquid (literally just a quick squirt). Im confused, he should have something to poo out lol. Everything seems in order now except his poo, hopefully that will sort itself out over the next 24hours!

When reintroducing Orijen, i'll be very careful and patient with the increase - if I slowly increased him to 2 cups a day would that be a good "milestone"? Then, I can monitor if it is keeping him full and energised throughout the day and make sure he is putting weight on as he should?

I appreciate everyone pitching in.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

Advice Please! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice Please!   Advice Please! EmptyMon Mar 19, 2012 2:41 pm

Get his stools firm on the chicken and rice before. Once they are firm, wait a week. THEN slowly introduce the orijen. I'd say 2 cups is a good starting point. If he's too thin after a few weeks at 2 cups, then slowing increase by no more than 1/4 cup at a time (and this is over the course of a day, NOT 1/4 cup per serving).

These things take time. Just gotta be patient Smile

Advice Please! Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Advice Please! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice Please!   Advice Please! EmptyMon Mar 19, 2012 2:52 pm

Erinc wrote:
When reintroducing Orijen, i'll be very careful and patient with the increase - if I slowly increased him to 2 cups a day would that be a good "milestone"?

I think I'd expect him to be on about 2.5 cups a day, no more than 3 cups daily. If you can slowly reintroduce the Orijen puppy (mixing it with his bland diet AFTER you get his tummy back on track) I'd keep increasing his kibble while decreasing the chicken and rice only if his stomach continues to do okay. If you can get him up to 2 cups with no issues then feel free to try bumping it up to 2 and 1/4 cup and again from there 2 and 1/2 cups and so on if you think he still needs more beyond that. Of course back off if you start noticing a problem at any point along the way.

I used to feed my adult sibe Innova Evo which is a rich food also and he would do perfect on 1 and 3/4 cups a day but he would get the runs if he had 2 cups a day. That's just an example of how sometimes it can be a fine line finding the "perfect" amount.

Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

Advice Please! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice Please!   Advice Please! EmptyMon Mar 19, 2012 3:11 pm

OK, at least I have a game plan now and don't feel so lost lol - just when I thought I had it all figured out it all went pear shaped, AGAIN! Hopefully this time round I can get it to stick - our routine is all messed up now and it is so HARD without a routine :/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Advice Please! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice Please!   Advice Please! Empty

Back to top Go down

Advice Please!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1