It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Help! She isn't eating it!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Female Join date : 2012-03-01

Help! She isn't eating it!  Empty
PostSubject: Help! She isn't eating it!    Help! She isn't eating it!  EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 2:12 pm

everyone in my house (including Rio) is eating the raw.

KYA is not however. I don't know what else to do. She is eating about as much as the poms do, which I know is not enough. She isn't eating the kibble either. I don't know what to do for her. She has NEVER been like this before. She always ate the meat I gave her, and she's never been extremely picky. Now I can't get her to eat much, but if some one comes near her food, FORGET IT.

She doesn't want to eat, but she doesn't want others to eat it either.

AM I doing something wrong??
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Help! She isn't eating it!    Help! She isn't eating it!  EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 2:22 pm

If she's healthy and just being a pain then, tough love my friend, it works. If she doesn't eat what she's given, she doesn't eat. If that means she's eating less then that's up to her.

Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

PostSubject: Re: Help! She isn't eating it!    Help! She isn't eating it!  EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 4:51 pm

And that's perfectly ok? I just don't want to starve her. lol.
Back to top Go down
Demon&Dakota
Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Help! She isn't eating it!    Help! She isn't eating it!  EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 5:06 pm

If she's healthy, she won't let herself starve.

I've had Dakota go for days without eating anything or eating very little. Usually in the summer. Then she'd eat a meal, and then go for a while again without eating. She regulates herself very well. A healthy dog will never starve itself. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Domingo
Teenager
Teenager
Domingo

PostSubject: Re: Help! She isn't eating it!    Help! She isn't eating it!  EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 5:13 pm

Is it only one meal/one day that she isn't eating?

Dante did this when we went on raw. After looking online, basically the answer was that it was normal and healthy for them to go a day without eating after a "large meal." I put large meal in quotes because our opinion of how much food they need and theirs isn't always the same. That seems to be doubly true when first starting out with raw.

**Be aware I'm only in my second week of raw feeding, so I'm going off of what others are saying for the same concerns with my dogs.
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Help! She isn't eating it!    Help! She isn't eating it!  EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 5:20 pm

Demon&Dakota wrote:
If she's healthy, she won't let herself starve.

I've had Dakota go for days without eating anything or eating very little. Usually in the summer. Then she'd eat a meal, and then go for a while again without eating. She regulates herself very well. A healthy dog will never starve itself. Very Happy

Yup,

As said in the "poop" thread same here.... Tika can go on what seem like hunger strikes for days. Sibes are notorious for it especially in their teenage years. As long as they are a healthy weight and active skipping meals isn't a huge problem.

I agree with Val, if she isn't hungry she can wait until the next meal.

It sucks when they don't eat, trust me I know, but she won't starve herself.

Something that helps me is a trip to the dog park.... She runs around so crazy that when she gets home she eats everything for a couple of days. Of course I know she is on little food when I bring her so I watch her closely and keep her very hyrdrated.

~Chris~
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

PostSubject: Re: Help! She isn't eating it!    Help! She isn't eating it!  EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 5:33 pm

Yes, she is healthy, and only a year and half, so she is in her teenage years lol. She gets one meal a day, use to be a thigh and a breast or a complete leg quarter. Now I cut it up into a few pieces but she eats maybe ONE small piece and then looks at me and walks away.

I don't know if it is the raw diet, or bringing another dog into the house. We started feeding raw a few days before we got Rio, and so I was thinking MAYBE she associated it with Rio and that's why she is being a turd.

EIther way, I feel alittle better. I will just let her be a turd and when she eats, she eats lol
Back to top Go down
muska
Puppy
Puppy
muska

Male Join date : 2011-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Help! She isn't eating it!    Help! She isn't eating it!  EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 8:33 pm

Been having the same prob with my boy but after reading all the comments i to feel abit beta Very Happy he is also on a raw diet (K9 natural)
Back to top Go down
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Male Join date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Help! She isn't eating it!    Help! She isn't eating it!  EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 12:49 am

Tika wrote:

As said in the "poop" thread...

This made my day.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Help! She isn't eating it!    Help! She isn't eating it!  EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 10:35 pm

I get so frustrated with this! Sometimes, I will watch Delilah's food go for days. Yes, we free feed. She doesn't gorge herself and likes to eat small amounts at a time. She eats maybe 1.5 cups a day - But even then I'm not sure because she lets the darn cats eat with her! But, I know she wouldn't go hungry. She is more than willing to talk your ear off if her bowl is empty and she is hungry!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

PostSubject: Re: Help! She isn't eating it!    Help! She isn't eating it!  EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 10:25 am

mheath0429 wrote:
I get so frustrated with this! Sometimes, I will watch Delilah's food go for days. Yes, we free feed. She doesn't gorge herself and likes to eat small amounts at a time. She eats maybe 1.5 cups a day - But even then I'm not sure because she lets the darn cats eat with her! But, I know she wouldn't go hungry. She is more than willing to talk your ear off if her bowl is empty and she is hungry!

Until I switched to raw, I free fed too. I had a self feeder. With 5 dogs, everyone was fickle about the times they ate, so we just put the self feeder out. None of our dogs over ate. In all actually, they have all GAINED weight since starting the Raw. My poms have each gained about a pound, and the huskies have gained about 3 pounds. Even Ms. Kya, who doesn't like to eat, so I know she is eating something lol.

I'm not going to worry about it after the weigh in. I didn't think she was getting enough, but it's obvious she is.

(They are all perfect weight. I'm guessing they didn't like the kibble we fed them bc now they are all pigs, save Kya of course)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help! She isn't eating it!    Help! She isn't eating it!  Empty

Back to top Go down

Help! She isn't eating it!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1