It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Max - Oklahoma - ADOPTED!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

Max - Oklahoma - ADOPTED!! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Max - Oklahoma - ADOPTED!!   Max - Oklahoma - ADOPTED!! - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 9:30 pm

Thanks all! I'm worried about Max's bouts of aggression. We met on neutral territory on leads with their dogs last weekend. It went well but we'll see. Max may need some professional training which they are willing to do. I just don't want to see anyone hurt in the meantime.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

PostSubject: Re: Max - Oklahoma - ADOPTED!!   Max - Oklahoma - ADOPTED!! - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 10:44 pm

Well as I suspected Max didn't work out with his second perspective family. It really wasn't his fault this time either. One of the couples females would not accept Max and refused to eat all since Max arrived on Friday. No aggression took place but it was probably a matter of time as there were lots of warning growls from their girls. The couple didn't feel safe leaving them together unsupervised.

So I'm still spreading the word he's available and hoping Blaze and him don't get into it for a 4th time. On a good note Sebo is very happy to have Max back and they play real well together.

Max is super sweet, well behaved and a quick learner but just doesn't know when to back down from a fight. His time on the street makes him more willing to fight than flight. When another dog starts something he is more than willing to finish it.
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: Max - Oklahoma - ADOPTED!!   Max - Oklahoma - ADOPTED!! - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 10:51 pm

Sorry to hear about Max again. Cali growls at other dogs when they first eat together, then she figures out she should eat when the meal is served or she won't get to eat, b4 mika came around, she would skip a few meals here and there.

Good luck to Max
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: Max - Oklahoma - ADOPTED!!   Max - Oklahoma - ADOPTED!! - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 10:52 pm

Sorry to hear about Max again. Cali growls at other dogs when they first eat together, then she figures out she should eat when the meal is served or she won't get to eat, b4 mika came around, she would skip a few meals here and there.

Good luck to Max
Back to top Go down
jedwards
Teenager
Teenager
jedwards

Female Join date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Max - Oklahoma - ADOPTED!!   Max - Oklahoma - ADOPTED!! - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 11:02 pm

I so wish I could take him! My Chase gets a long well with every dog he meets.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Max - Oklahoma - ADOPTED!!   Max - Oklahoma - ADOPTED!! - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 11:03 pm

Lordbroll wrote:
Max is super sweet, well behaved and a quick learner but just doesn't know when to back down from a fight. His time on the street makes him more willing to fight than flight. When another dog starts something he is more than willing to finish it.
Gosh, this sounds just like Koda Sad Good luck to Max! I hope he finds his forever home soon!

Max - Oklahoma - ADOPTED!! - Page 2 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

PostSubject: Re: Max - Oklahoma - ADOPTED!!   Max - Oklahoma - ADOPTED!! - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 12:30 pm

It's a super hard behavior for me to crack. He's doesn't give any sort of notice, no grrr, no lip curl, and nothing as far as posturing, he just exploads into attack mode. No resource guarding, no jealousy, doesn't even mind close quarters. I would like to find his trigger and be proactive.
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Max - Oklahoma - ADOPTED!!   Max - Oklahoma - ADOPTED!! - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 5:55 pm

Sorry to hear that Max didn't find a new home yet. It sounds like a difficult behaviour to crack if there are no obvious triggers. Does he have a moment of stillness just before, some dogs do that. He sounds like a really sweet dog apart from that.
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

PostSubject: Re: Max - Oklahoma - ADOPTED!!   Max - Oklahoma - ADOPTED!! - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 6:01 pm

Ghost wrote:
Sorry to hear that Max didn't find a new home yet. It sounds like a difficult behaviour to crack if there are no obvious triggers. Does he have a moment of stillness just before, some dogs do that. He sounds like a really sweet dog apart from that.

No real stillness or other posturing I can detect anyway. I've been working with him on general commands to calm him, down, sit / stay and using the words easy and gentle when he plays with Sebo. It's gotten better but mainly because Blaze (the one he has issue with) is giving him a wide birth.

I've though about taking him to K9 University but it's way across town and a little pricey for a foster dog. Sometimes I wish I was a 501c3 but that's a different story.
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

PostSubject: Re: Max - Oklahoma - ADOPTED!!   Max - Oklahoma - ADOPTED!! - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 6:05 pm

There is probably some split second thing that you would only ever get if you had it on video, too fast to spot in real time (which is when you need to know). It sounds like you are doing great with him. It's sensible of Blaze to give him some space!!
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Max - Oklahoma - ADOPTED!!   Max - Oklahoma - ADOPTED!! - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 6:09 pm

I am wishing you the best with Max, He is such a cutie I wish i could have taken him but with the issues you have encounter with him. My Hubby would have been real upset if max and My Blaze had the issues. That you are having with Your Blaze.

It looks like Blaze it giving him his own space.
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

PostSubject: Re: Max - Oklahoma - ADOPTED!!   Max - Oklahoma - ADOPTED!! - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 6:14 pm

ljelgin wrote:
I am wishing you the best with Max, He is such a cutie I wish i could have taken him but with the issues you have encounter with him. My Hubby would have been real upset if max and My Blaze had the issues. That you are having with Your Blaze.

It looks like Blaze it giving him his own space.

Don't blame you one bit. I had to convince the wife the 3rd time Blaze got attacked not to take Max to the shelter. It really hasn't been his fault, he's reacting, not appropriately but reacting none the less.

He plays with Sebo constantly and shows indifference to Mikko even when Mikko screams in his ear.

It's been one of the most challenging foster situations I've ever had. If Blaze stays out of Max's face all will be well, just makes me nervous though.
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

PostSubject: Re: Max - Oklahoma - ADOPTED!!   Max - Oklahoma - ADOPTED!! - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 10:00 am

Max's first trip to the dog park.

Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Max - Oklahoma - ADOPTED!!   Max - Oklahoma - ADOPTED!! - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 11:02 am

Wow tough call trying to answer the aggression problem seemed like any other pooch at the park. I kept waiting for chaos to happen glad it didn't. Maybe look into (gag as much as I want to say his name) Cesar Milan's or Victoria Stillwell's videos maybe they have a similar problem on one of their episodes.
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

PostSubject: Re: Max - Oklahoma - ADOPTED!!   Max - Oklahoma - ADOPTED!! - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 2:46 pm

He is a gorgeous dog and he did so well at the dog park. I can't understand why he doesn't have a home yet!!
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

PostSubject: Re: Max - Oklahoma - ADOPTED!!   Max - Oklahoma - ADOPTED!! - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 3:06 pm

Wife called this morning and Max latched onto Mikko's ear after Mikko was in his face talking. Glad she was there to pull him off. 10 minutes later they were laying within a couple of feet of each other.
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

PostSubject: Re: Max - Oklahoma - ADOPTED!!   Max - Oklahoma - ADOPTED!! - Page 2 EmptyFri May 11, 2012 10:32 am

Max is still in need of a loving home. Never had such a hard time finding such a sweet and handsome boy a home. He is getting better with socialization as there has been no incidents in over a week. we are now able to leave him with our boys while we're at work. He plays well with Sebo and basically ignores Mikko and Blaze whom both give him a wide berth, which is good.

His last adoption prospect changed his mind about taking Max as he realized he didn't have the time to devote to a dog and especially a high energy one like Max. I'm glad some people actually think things through.

Back to sharing and posting,,,,
Back to top Go down
jedwards
Teenager
Teenager
jedwards

Female Join date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Max - Oklahoma - ADOPTED!!   Max - Oklahoma - ADOPTED!! - Page 2 EmptySat May 12, 2012 11:46 pm

Poor Max! I'm glad he has someone like you there for him. And at least they thought it through instead of taking him then getting rid of him.
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

PostSubject: Re: Max - Oklahoma - ADOPTED!!   Max - Oklahoma - ADOPTED!! - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 02, 2012 12:35 pm

Once again we thought we found the perfect home for Max, email from adopter:

I called earlier but you don't have to call back. Max and I just had such a great time and I wanted to tell you and Brian about it so maybe you would feel a little better about leaving him!

He did whine a bit when you guys left so we took a walk. We unwittingly stumbled onto a dog park 2 BLOCKS from the house!!! I was nervous to take him in since he has had some run ins in the past. But he was rather persistent!! And there was a man inside with, you guessed it, a husky who said he would help if there was any trouble.

There were some other dogs too and Max was but polite but uninterested. Max spent all of his time with Sam, the other Husky. They ran and ran and played and played. The man just so happens to be a dog trainer. His other dog, Dharma, is a trained therapy dog. Anyway, he told me what a great dog Max is and that he can tell he has had some training and that he is very, very smart. Most of it went right over my head but he explained that Max was mimicking some of the interactions between his two dogs and that this was very smart. He also said that if he does have some behavioral problems, it is because he is probably rather smart and willful but that the best dogs are both of those:-)

I'm rambling but the best part is that apparently the whole neighborhood is very dog oriented and every evening around 7-8 everyone brings their dogs to play at the park together. This man said it is really a very cool thing to watch them all. He also said that he thinks Max will fit in well with all of the dogs and that he will help Max if he has trouble playing nice in the beginning:-)

It all seemed so.... Serendipitous and meant to be. We are just relaxing outside in the shade now. He seems to like it out here.

I just wanted to give you an update and let you know we are having a good time together!

Sadly, 2 days later they returned him because he kept jumping the 6ft fence. Both times when they were outside with him. She was concerned and rightly so about his safety. Since it was a rental house she couldn't modify the fence as the landlord would not okay it.

So poor Max still needs a home.
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Max - Oklahoma - ADOPTED!!   Max - Oklahoma - ADOPTED!! - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 02, 2012 12:47 pm

Damn so close yet so far.
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

PostSubject: Re: Max - Oklahoma - ADOPTED!!   Max - Oklahoma - ADOPTED!! - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 02, 2012 1:49 pm

What a shame! Poor Max.

That email is a real credit to you for all the work you have done with him. The right home must be out there for him somewhere.
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

PostSubject: Re: Max - Oklahoma - ADOPTED!!   Max - Oklahoma - ADOPTED!! - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 02, 2012 1:59 pm

Ghost wrote:
What a shame! Poor Max.

That email is a real credit to you for all the work you have done with him. The right home must be out there for him somewhere.

Thanks, he has come along way. He has two of our boys walking on egg shells but no issues for a couple of weeks. It's going to be hard to find a suitable home with his propensity to escape.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Max - Oklahoma - ADOPTED!!   Max - Oklahoma - ADOPTED!! - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 02, 2012 4:26 pm

Oh what a shame.. I really pulling for Max to get the right home soon..

Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

PostSubject: Re: Max - Oklahoma - ADOPTED!!   Max - Oklahoma - ADOPTED!! - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 10:00 am

Finalized Max's adoption on Sunday. He was so excited to see us and seemed very happy in his new home. I've never had a sweeter foster. It was tough to say goodbye again as he went nuts when we showed up. He's in an only dog home with 9 children, a stay at home mom (she fosters kids) and gets lots of attention, camping trips to the lake and almost daily rides.

Here are a few pics we took in his new home. Some are blurry, he had a hard time staying still.

Max - Oklahoma - ADOPTED!! - Page 2 292448_500000190025874_1061615258_n
Greeting me

Max - Oklahoma - ADOPTED!! - Page 2 603627_500000506692509_1019092997_n
Yum deer antler!

Max - Oklahoma - ADOPTED!! - Page 2 551141_500000210025872_1206639194_n

Max - Oklahoma - ADOPTED!! - Page 2 549742_500000530025840_189181570_n
He has a big window to watch the world.

Max - Oklahoma - ADOPTED!! - Page 2 625553_500000640025829_1383238437_n

Max - Oklahoma - ADOPTED!! - Page 2 576189_500000253359201_464586492_n
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Max - Oklahoma - ADOPTED!!   Max - Oklahoma - ADOPTED!! - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 10:10 am

That's wonderful! I'm sure he'll live a happy life with that family. Sound's like he went to a great home. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Max - Oklahoma - ADOPTED!!   Max - Oklahoma - ADOPTED!! - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Max - Oklahoma - ADOPTED!!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next