It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Bones and Treats.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

Male Join date : 2011-04-14

Bones and Treats. Empty
PostSubject: Bones and Treats.   Bones and Treats. EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 7:44 pm

I am looking for long lasting bones for Kiara, its frustrating cause 99% of stuff is rawhide and I have read and heard rawhide is terrible for dogs and hard to digest... and from personal experience with their poop and puke its all no good... I know there are treat balls exc... But do any of you guys know of natural long lasting bones... I have gotten the "busy bones" before and she tears through that in a few minutes... I also have a big chicken flavor bone that she only chews on sometimes, its REALLY hard... I want something to keep her interest that also has good flavor.
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Female Join date : 2012-03-01

Bones and Treats. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bones and Treats.   Bones and Treats. EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 8:05 pm

I don't use bones anymore, because we feed raw, but what I use is moose antlers. They are hard, durable and completely natural. I purchased one for each of my dogs and they chew on them constantly and they haven't even made a dent. I have had them for about 2 weeks now, and they are still the same size.

Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Bones and Treats. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bones and Treats.   Bones and Treats. EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 8:12 pm

any antlers would work, ours could care less about them, do a google search for them and they pop up all over the dog sites for sale, or the nice mom and pop places have them. they were all over the last dog show i was at

Adult
Adult
brady.law

Male Join date : 2011-04-14

Bones and Treats. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bones and Treats.   Bones and Treats. EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 8:22 pm

Cool I just bought one!
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

Bones and Treats. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bones and Treats.   Bones and Treats. EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 9:15 pm

What about cow hoofs? Local dog bakery started carrying them, whats your take on them?
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

Bones and Treats. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bones and Treats.   Bones and Treats. EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 1:34 am

Do you know what cows walk in???? pale

lol!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Bones and Treats. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bones and Treats.   Bones and Treats. EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 1:43 am

kevo wrote:
What about cow hoofs? Local dog bakery started carrying them, whats your take on them?

I'm sure they'd be fine, just don't know how long they'd last. My sibe gets deer hooves and he goes through them pretty quickly, he's done with them in less than 2 hours I'd say.

Adult
Adult
kevo

Bones and Treats. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bones and Treats.   Bones and Treats. EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 10:10 pm

well my girls got their first ones, and they are still there, been over 24 hours..lol. They have a nice rotation of chew toys lately, so I just rotate them.
Back to top Go down
Titus&Lycan
Teenager
Teenager
Titus&Lycan

Female Join date : 2012-06-26

Bones and Treats. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bones and Treats.   Bones and Treats. EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 5:45 am

What about bully sticks? They are definitely better than rawhides.
Back to top Go down
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

Female Join date : 2012-05-31

Bones and Treats. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bones and Treats.   Bones and Treats. EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 6:45 am

I've been looking into Bully Sticks. It took me a while to find a store that stock them in Australia, but I've found a couple online.
The only thing that puts me off about them is that they're made from bull penis. I'm not sure I like the idea of Freya chewing on that.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/For-the-Love-of-Readi
artoaky
Teenager
Teenager
artoaky

Male Join date : 2012-02-15

Bones and Treats. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bones and Treats.   Bones and Treats. EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 8:06 am

Luna loves the bully sticks. I only buy the ones made in the USA. I heard some of the foreign companies put chemicals in it and such but don't take my word on it. I just go off rumors haha. Luna loves the Nylabones so i have about 3 of those and i rotate them every week. Bullysticks she gets about 3 per month.
Back to top Go down
Juturna67
Puppy
Puppy
Juturna67

Female Join date : 2012-07-01

Bones and Treats. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bones and Treats.   Bones and Treats. EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 7:24 am

Where do you buy Bull Sticks or Antlers from?
Back to top Go down
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

Female Join date : 2012-05-31

Bones and Treats. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bones and Treats.   Bones and Treats. EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 8:11 am

I give Freya sliced pigs ears. Shge thought it was GREAT but they only last between 2-4 days depending on what part of the ear it is.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/For-the-Love-of-Readi
Juturna67
Puppy
Puppy
Juturna67

Female Join date : 2012-07-01

Bones and Treats. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bones and Treats.   Bones and Treats. EmptyTue Jul 03, 2012 9:12 pm

I bought her a bull stick earlier today for being a good girl when getting her shots. I think I just made a big mistake.

Bones and Treats. 2gyc4t2
Bones and Treats. 2hr314j

She won't even play soccer with me! She's been chewing on that thing for about 30 minutes! haha.
Back to top Go down
paleobones
Teenager
Teenager
paleobones

Female Join date : 2012-01-11

Bones and Treats. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bones and Treats.   Bones and Treats. EmptyTue Jul 03, 2012 9:24 pm

Raven loves bully sticks too. They are her favorite and keep her occupied for an hour. We also give her pig ears once in awhile. Antlers and hooves don't hold her interest though and the hoof was really stinky!

Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

Bones and Treats. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bones and Treats.   Bones and Treats. EmptyTue Jul 03, 2012 9:37 pm

Mine love bully sticks, but they're just so pricey. Having 3 huskies it gets expensive to stock up on them Sad Mine used to pay no mind to antlers, but I gave them another shot. When I first gave it to them they chewed on it for a few minutes and lost interest. Then I put some peanut butter on them and they totally went for that. Now when they loose interest i soak them in fat free/low sodium chicken broth and they are at it for a while!
Back to top Go down
paleobones
Teenager
Teenager
paleobones

Female Join date : 2012-01-11

Bones and Treats. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bones and Treats.   Bones and Treats. EmptyTue Jul 03, 2012 10:58 pm

Thanks Melissa those are great ideas! Smile
Back to top Go down
MicroBrewer
Teenager
Teenager
MicroBrewer

Male Join date : 2011-10-20

Bones and Treats. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bones and Treats.   Bones and Treats. EmptyTue Jul 03, 2012 11:44 pm

Brewer is pretty picky when it comes to bones.

Raw marrow and meaty bones are an absolute hit with him, but he passes on bully sticks from time to time. In fact, we just gave one to him and he gave it only a 2-3 minute go.

Melissa, that is a really good idea on soaking the antlers in chicken broth! We are slowly converting to a raw diet, but if we ever purchase another moose or deer antler I will definitely give it a shot.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

Bones and Treats. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bones and Treats.   Bones and Treats. EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 2:15 am

MelissaI wrote:
Mine love bully sticks, but they're just so pricey. Having 3 huskies it gets expensive to stock up on them Sad Mine used to pay no mind to antlers, but I gave them another shot. When I first gave it to them they chewed on it for a few minutes and lost interest. Then I put some peanut butter on them and they totally went for that. Now when they loose interest i soak them in fat free/low sodium chicken broth and they are at it for a while!

Melissa,

We started feeding Beef Achilles Tendons. Sounds crazy, but a local mom and pop sells them, and they were about 1.29/tendon. So far Cato has been chewing on all the same piece and Delilah is happily occupied too! They last pretty long and are way cheaper than bully sticks. I did a little research and they are apparently great for teeth too.

http://www.amazon.com/Bingo-Lo-Buffalo-Bingo-Pet-Treats/dp/B0040BDM50/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1341378859&sr=8-3&keywords=tendons+for+dogs

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Sponsored content

Bones and Treats. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bones and Treats.   Bones and Treats. Empty

Back to top Go down

Bones and Treats.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1