It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

QUESTION & PICTURE OF PUPPY'S STOOL

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
LillDragun
Teenager
Teenager
LillDragun

Male Join date : 2012-04-24

QUESTION & PICTURE OF PUPPY'S STOOL Empty
PostSubject: QUESTION & PICTURE OF PUPPY'S STOOL   QUESTION & PICTURE OF PUPPY'S STOOL EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 10:00 pm

So my baby Mia is just past 15 weeks and is up to date on shots so far. She just has one more set of shots left. I have been feeding her Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed Puppy food since about 10 weeks. I got her at 8 weeks and she was eating some cheapo Pedigree puppy food and I tried to change her to Blue Buffalo but her stomach was having none of that expensive food. Nutro was the 2nd choice and she became solid immediately.

Now here is the thing, when she goes #2, the first stool droppings are solid, and then the 2nd set of droppings are much more liquidy. Just a bit thicker than apple sauce, but not solid enough to hold form. Today I noticed this mucus-like stuff in her stool when I went to pick it up. Is this something to worry about? Should I have kept it for the vet to look at? She has not been showing any symptoms of anything different.

Any ideas?

QUESTION & PICTURE OF PUPPY'S STOOL Photo11
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: QUESTION & PICTURE OF PUPPY'S STOOL   QUESTION & PICTURE OF PUPPY'S STOOL EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 10:09 pm

This is what I ran into when maggie was on bb or any of the "commercialized" dog foods.

I love TOTW or solid gold wolf king/cub. That poop firms right up!
Back to top Go down
LillDragun
Teenager
Teenager
LillDragun

PostSubject: Re: QUESTION & PICTURE OF PUPPY'S STOOL   QUESTION & PICTURE OF PUPPY'S STOOL EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 10:13 pm

norbreedslove wrote:
This is what I ran into when maggie was on bb or any of the "commercialized" dog foods.

I love TOTW or solid gold wolf king/cub. That poop firms right up!

Are you talking about the firmness part?

any experience with that mucus thing? or is the mucus a byproduct of eating Nutro?
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: QUESTION & PICTURE OF PUPPY'S STOOL   QUESTION & PICTURE OF PUPPY'S STOOL EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 10:16 pm

I noticed mucus when my dogs eat a lot of grass...

We feed TOTW it firmed both of mines poop up right away.
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: QUESTION & PICTURE OF PUPPY'S STOOL   QUESTION & PICTURE OF PUPPY'S STOOL EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 10:17 pm

yes I am. Maggie's poop did that with BB puppy. My vet said she was most likely allergic to the grains. Yes it is a byproduct of nutro, I found a ton of dogs couldn't eat nutro. I was a rep and couldn't support a food that my dogs couldn't eat.
Back to top Go down
LillDragun
Teenager
Teenager
LillDragun

PostSubject: Re: QUESTION & PICTURE OF PUPPY'S STOOL   QUESTION & PICTURE OF PUPPY'S STOOL EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 10:18 pm

I see. I guess I'll have to look into something else. It is the first time I've seen this. She has been on it for about 5 weeks now.
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: QUESTION & PICTURE OF PUPPY'S STOOL   QUESTION & PICTURE OF PUPPY'S STOOL EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 10:22 pm

ya, there are a lot of "expert" food people on here! They can help you with good foods.
I don't know if your near any feed stores but sometimes those mom and pop ones are good at helping you pick out good foods! the owner of ours owns 1 malamute and 1 sibe. They helped me a lot!
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: QUESTION & PICTURE OF PUPPY'S STOOL   QUESTION & PICTURE OF PUPPY'S STOOL EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 10:22 pm

Mucus happens every now and then with my pack. Sometimes too much food intake causes it, and other times I have no idea. Me, I wouldn't worry until there has been at least two days of nonstop mucus. Then you'll need to keep one and refrigerate it until you get it to a vet that can analyze it.
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: QUESTION & PICTURE OF PUPPY'S STOOL   QUESTION & PICTURE OF PUPPY'S STOOL EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 10:25 pm

harrise wrote:
Me, I wouldn't worry until there has been at least two days of nonstop mucus. Then you'll need to keep one and refrigerate it until you get it to a vet that can analyze it.

I agree
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: QUESTION & PICTURE OF PUPPY'S STOOL   QUESTION & PICTURE OF PUPPY'S STOOL EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 10:27 pm

Hve to agree with harrise, I have seen it when Delilah ate too much. How much are you giving?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
LillDragun
Teenager
Teenager
LillDragun

PostSubject: Re: QUESTION & PICTURE OF PUPPY'S STOOL   QUESTION & PICTURE OF PUPPY'S STOOL EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 10:37 pm

norbreedslove wrote:
ya, there are a lot of "expert" food people on here! They can help you with good foods.
I don't know if your near any feed stores but sometimes those mom and pop ones are good at helping you pick out good foods! the owner of ours owns 1 malamute and 1 sibe. They helped me a lot!

I'm sure there are feed stores around, but I'm sure they are probably more for farm animals. I'll look around, thanks for the advice.

harrise wrote:
Mucus happens every now and then with my pack. Sometimes too much food intake causes it, and other times I have no idea. Me, I wouldn't worry until there has been at least two days of nonstop mucus. Then you'll need to keep one and refrigerate it until you get it to a vet that can analyze it.

I see, I will keep a close eye on it. I don't think I overfeed her.

mheath0429 wrote:
Hve to agree with harrise, I have seen it when Delilah ate too much. How much are you giving?

I use a grande Starbucks cup and fill it about 3/4 full. A grande cup is 16 oz. So I am feeding her about 12 oz of food + or - and ounce or so. Is that too much or too little? She is about 15 lbs now maybe closer to 16 lbs.

Thanks for the super fast responses everyone!
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

PostSubject: Re: QUESTION & PICTURE OF PUPPY'S STOOL   QUESTION & PICTURE OF PUPPY'S STOOL EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 10:41 pm

Cups with kibble can be difficult to get right. A scale will get you to the correct amount and then you can see how much of the cup it takes. I'm not familiar with that brand so I can't tell you what sounds right.
Back to top Go down
LillDragun
Teenager
Teenager
LillDragun

PostSubject: Re: QUESTION & PICTURE OF PUPPY'S STOOL   QUESTION & PICTURE OF PUPPY'S STOOL EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 10:51 pm

harrise wrote:
Cups with kibble can be difficult to get right. A scale will get you to the correct amount and then you can see how much of the cup it takes. I'm not familiar with that brand so I can't tell you what sounds right.

what kind of weight should I be feeding her?
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

PostSubject: Re: QUESTION & PICTURE OF PUPPY'S STOOL   QUESTION & PICTURE OF PUPPY'S STOOL EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 10:55 pm

That I don't know. I go by poo pile size and adjust up or down depending on what I see. My only puppy feeding experience was with a Saint Bernard, so that probably doesn't correlate.
Back to top Go down
LillDragun
Teenager
Teenager
LillDragun

PostSubject: Re: QUESTION & PICTURE OF PUPPY'S STOOL   QUESTION & PICTURE OF PUPPY'S STOOL EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 11:02 pm

I see, what "poo size" should I be looking for then? cause sometimes, she will poo 2 times (about 4-5 hours after I feed her) in the morning and afternoon. Should I get her down to pooing only one pile?
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

PostSubject: Re: QUESTION & PICTURE OF PUPPY'S STOOL   QUESTION & PICTURE OF PUPPY'S STOOL EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 11:16 pm

There is so much involved there I don't know how to explain it. There's gas, mucus, ribs, profile, age, calorie content of food, parents' rough size and many other things I look at when determining what amount to feed. I'm not even vaguely versed in Siberian Huskies. But with a puppy like the picture under your name, I would say you can expect a few bouts of this before maturity.
Back to top Go down
LillDragun
Teenager
Teenager
LillDragun

PostSubject: Re: QUESTION & PICTURE OF PUPPY'S STOOL   QUESTION & PICTURE OF PUPPY'S STOOL EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 11:31 pm

yeah, that is Mia at 8 weeks. she is a larger now.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: QUESTION & PICTURE OF PUPPY'S STOOL   QUESTION & PICTURE OF PUPPY'S STOOL EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 12:23 am

We had some pretty bad diarrhea with Ghost at that age. Not as much mucous, but the rest of what you described sounds a lot like what we experienced. Instead of using the Starbucks cup, try an actual measuring cup. That way you know exactly how much you're feeding, and most of the guidelines are in cups and not by weight. I think at that age we were feeding Ghost around 3 cups of Blue Wilderness, since that was before we switched to TOTW. Really the only reason we did that switch was because it was cheaper.

I assume by CC you mean Corpus Christie? We've got another member from Corpus, and she may know where you can find TOTW locally. If she's still having diarrhea when you switch, try using a bland diet to reset her system for a few days before you start to slowly introduce the new kibble. That's what we did with Ghost, and it really worked well. We did a couple of eggs scrambled and added green beans and carrots, and that firmed her right up.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

QUESTION & PICTURE OF PUPPY'S STOOL 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

PostSubject: Re: QUESTION & PICTURE OF PUPPY'S STOOL   QUESTION & PICTURE OF PUPPY'S STOOL EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 12:38 am

blueeyedghost wrote:
... and most of the guidelines are in cups and not by weight.

Huh. I thought cups weighed a certain amount or something...¿?
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: QUESTION & PICTURE OF PUPPY'S STOOL   QUESTION & PICTURE OF PUPPY'S STOOL EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 1:07 am

I think mucus usually indicates an allergy or at least an intolerance. It has in my dogs anyway. Watch the ingredients on your treats as well as your food. If the food was fine for her for 5 weeks perhaps it is a new treat or bone affecting her?
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: QUESTION & PICTURE OF PUPPY'S STOOL   QUESTION & PICTURE OF PUPPY'S STOOL EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 1:21 am

harrise wrote:
blueeyedghost wrote:
... and most of the guidelines are in cups and not by weight.

Huh. I thought cups weighed a certain amount or something...¿?

With dry goods it depends on the density of whatever you're measuring. Liquids are generally going to be about 8 oz to a cup, but dry stuff is completely different.

Try a little canned pumpkin in addition to monitoring ingredients. It is really good for their digestive tracks, and should help firm her right up. Just make sure you use pure pumpkin and not pie filling, since that has a lot of additives.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

QUESTION & PICTURE OF PUPPY'S STOOL 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: QUESTION & PICTURE OF PUPPY'S STOOL   QUESTION & PICTURE OF PUPPY'S STOOL Empty

Back to top Go down

QUESTION & PICTURE OF PUPPY'S STOOL

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1