It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Only raw fish and kibble?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
tmsjns
Newborn
Newborn

Only raw fish and kibble? Empty
PostSubject: Only raw fish and kibble?   Only raw fish and kibble? EmptySat Apr 28, 2012 6:29 pm

Im getting my pup in a couple of weeks and I quite like the idea of a raw diet but, I have chickens in the garden and have a rabbit too so Im thinking that encouraging him to eat raw meats might encourage him to eat the chickens!?I was thinking of giving him a normal kibble diet (TOTW) and using raw fish as treats, I know the local fishmonger well so supplying the fresh fish wont be a problem plus I have mates that fish a lot so it getting fresh fish wouldnt be a problem but what do you lot think of the idea? Would it work? Is it worth it?
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Only raw fish and kibble?   Only raw fish and kibble? EmptySat Apr 28, 2012 8:35 pm

There's nothing wrong with supplementing a kibble diet with raw. The only thing I worry about with wild caught fish is mercury levels. Even small levels can build up over time and be toxic. Not saying fish is bad, it is most certainly not. Just saying it's something to keep in mind is all.

I don't think feeding raw meats will encourage your dog to eat your chickens and rabbit. Your dog will want to get them anyway due to the breeds high prey drive whether you feed raw or not. But if you are feeding raw meals that have already been cleaned (skin, feathers, fur, etc removed prior to feeding), your dog is not likely to know what they ate was a chicken or lamb or rabbit. I say go for it with raw feeding with whatever meats you can get your hands on, and never give your dog unrestricted access to your chickens and rabbit no matter what you feed.

Newborn
Newborn
siberian

PostSubject: Re: Only raw fish and kibble?   Only raw fish and kibble? EmptySat Apr 28, 2012 9:11 pm

What's the objective of the raw fish? If it's nutrition and you're looking at high omega 3/6 for health reasons then they have to be cold water fish - herring, salmon etc. If not it's just fish. And yes, good point depending on where the fish comes from mercury and other pollutants are a definite cause for worry. We don't have that much up here as we catch fresh (not farm raised) salmon, halibut etc.

Chickens/rabbits and huskies do not normally make good roommates and that's going to be a constant temptation for it to try and break out and into that area. I mean my five tried to take down a moose two years ago, so a rabbit and chickens in the yard.... hmmmm

siberian
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Only raw fish and kibble?   Only raw fish and kibble? Empty

Back to top Go down

Only raw fish and kibble?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1