It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Kiaras Hip Results (exercise options?)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

Male Join date : 2011-04-14

Kiaras Hip Results (exercise options?) Empty
PostSubject: Kiaras Hip Results (exercise options?)   Kiaras Hip Results (exercise options?) EmptyMon May 07, 2012 9:14 pm

So a couple weeks ago my brother in law mentioned kiara was limping. I couldn't really tell, she was walking a little different on it... I am at the dog park now and I can really notice it, I just took a video of how she looks when she walks. She doesn't act like she's in pain and runs around but for the first time today at the park she actually limps a few times and lifted up her back leg as to scratch but she was like kicking her back leg like it was spazzing or something. I'm really worried this is going to turn into something very expensive. X-rays alone are a ton... Ugh Sad

Last edited by brady.law on Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:55 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Kiaras Hip Results (exercise options?)   Kiaras Hip Results (exercise options?) EmptyMon May 07, 2012 9:44 pm

did you check to be sure there is nothing stuck in her pads? Perhaps a pulled muscle? I know xrays are expensive! How old is Kiara? Just curious if she is older perhaps some arthritis?
Back to top Go down
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

PostSubject: Re: Kiaras Hip Results (exercise options?)   Kiaras Hip Results (exercise options?) EmptyMon May 07, 2012 9:54 pm

Oh yea forgot to mention, shes about 2 1/2

uploading a couple vids to youtube.
Back to top Go down
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

PostSubject: Re: Kiaras Hip Results (exercise options?)   Kiaras Hip Results (exercise options?) EmptyMon May 07, 2012 9:57 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k647eL2TMwM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF4T6K1YfgQ
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Kiaras Hip Results (exercise options?)   Kiaras Hip Results (exercise options?) EmptyTue May 08, 2012 1:58 am

I think its because she is over weight, its more a wallow then a limb.
Back to top Go down
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

PostSubject: Re: Kiaras Hip Results (exercise options?)   Kiaras Hip Results (exercise options?) EmptyTue May 08, 2012 2:07 am

Ya I thought so too but her leg actually gave out and she wasn't putting weight on it. I havent seen her do that before.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Kiaras Hip Results (exercise options?)   Kiaras Hip Results (exercise options?) EmptyTue May 08, 2012 3:06 am

I didn't notice a limp in either video. confused

Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Kiaras Hip Results (exercise options?)   Kiaras Hip Results (exercise options?) EmptyTue May 08, 2012 7:34 am

I too also think it may be due to her weight. It's not a true limp but looks as though it's from over exertion and over work.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Kiaras Hip Results (exercise options?)   Kiaras Hip Results (exercise options?) EmptyTue May 08, 2012 7:44 am

I can't notice a limp either.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Kiaras Hip Results (exercise options?)   Kiaras Hip Results (exercise options?) EmptyTue May 08, 2012 11:21 am

Here4thePics wrote:
I think its because she is over weight, its more a wallow then a limb.

Took the words out of my mouth! Mya was overweight about 2 years ago and she started developing a slight limp. She would even lift her leg for a few seconds here and there. Took her to the vet and he said to start her on Glucosamine. Once she dropped the weight the wallow was gone and no more limps ever again. Glucosamine is cheap. I buy the Walgreens brand. It's about $22 and lasts her a month.

How much does she weigh?
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Kiaras Hip Results (exercise options?)   Kiaras Hip Results (exercise options?) EmptyTue May 08, 2012 11:30 am

I didn't notice a limp either confused
However, her body shape and walk does remind me a lot of Storm when he was overweight. And like Melissa's Mya, when Storm was overweight, he would sometimes seem off in his stride. Now that he has lost 40 lbs, he's a running fool without muscle soreness the next day after.

How tall and how much does Kiara weigh?

Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Kiaras Hip Results (exercise options?)   Kiaras Hip Results (exercise options?) EmptyTue May 08, 2012 1:14 pm

im going with everyone else and were not trying to be rude but Kiara does look to be overweight and for her to only be 2.5yrs you need to get her back to a healthy weight. when we got Sierra she was 60lbs!!!!! she is now down to a slim 46lbs Smile she was also having "hip" issues at the heaver weight and with the added Glucosamine and the wellness grain free reduced cal food to get the weight off she is a different husky and runs, jumps and has a ton of fun with no leg pain

Adult
Adult
brady.law

PostSubject: Re: Kiaras Hip Results (exercise options?)   Kiaras Hip Results (exercise options?) EmptyTue May 08, 2012 1:23 pm

Yes. I couldn't get the limp on video. But she is walking differently. We are running and she has lost weight, she was 60lbs. We are going to the vet today, but ya I couldn't get where she was lifting up her leg and limping but she just seems to step slightly differently on her back right leg, was hoping it was just something small then she started to limp and shake out her leg at the dog park and I started freak out that it's building into something worse.
Back to top Go down
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

PostSubject: Re: Kiaras Hip Results (exercise options?)   Kiaras Hip Results (exercise options?) EmptyTue May 08, 2012 1:27 pm

You can see here where she was with me... Thin, then the pictures after she was w my aunt for 8 months. She got massive. https://www.itsahuskything.com/t4371-age-and-weight
Back to top Go down
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

PostSubject: Re: Kiaras Hip Results (exercise options?)   Kiaras Hip Results (exercise options?) EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 5:33 pm

So after hoping I was being paranoid about her leg, the other day at the dog park a lady pointed out and asked if her leg was sore. I hoped after she dropped weight her leg would get better. Yesterday we went on a short run (10 min) she doesn't act hurt or in pain about running around but a couple hours after, her back right leg was very stiff and limping, she's better today but still very stiff so tomorrow its off to the vet and I'm praying it's not serious... My aunt sent me a message saying a lot of vets seem to be quick to diagnose hip dysphasia and reccommend surgery.

She said take her and make sure it's not serious and she also told me about Cosequin:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00028ZLTU/ref=aw_d_detail?pd=1

It looks promising and seems like it could be a great alternative, I have never heard of it, reviews are great. Has anyone used this product?
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Female Join date : 2012-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Kiaras Hip Results (exercise options?)   Kiaras Hip Results (exercise options?) EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 5:49 pm

I use Glucosamine and Cosequin, but for my Dane, who is nine. A dog as young as Kiara shouldn't need that kind of supplement. I think it really just needs to be focused on getting her weight down. If you have a treadmill, and can get her NOT afraid of it, we used it for my mom's boxers, and had them walking 3 miles a day. (If you don't have the time/ability to walk them that far on your own. I'm disabled, so we didn't have that ability).

You haven't gotten her checked since you first started noticing this???
Back to top Go down
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

PostSubject: Re: Kiaras Hip Results (exercise options?)   Kiaras Hip Results (exercise options?) EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 6:07 pm

I didn't cause it was kind of on and off and I thought I was being crazy. Well I know I'm not now. Her weight is back to normal now, we will be going in tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Kiaras Hip Results (exercise options?)   Kiaras Hip Results (exercise options?) EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 6:12 pm

A lot of people use Nupro Silver for joint support and the such, but most dogs don't really need it until they are 4-6 years old from what I've seen. I'd see if the vet recommends joint support or not with her age and to make sure it's not something else. A coworker of mine has an overweight mastiff who started having issues with their hips because of their weight and once it was lost she was fine- I think the vet also gave an inflammatory for a bit.
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Kiaras Hip Results (exercise options?)   Kiaras Hip Results (exercise options?) EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 7:32 pm

brady.law wrote:
My aunt sent me a message saying a lot of vets seem to be quick to diagnose hip dysphasia and reccommend surgery.

A vet should do Xrays to confirm HD and there will be no doubt when you look for yourself at the Xrays.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Kiaras Hip Results (exercise options?)   Kiaras Hip Results (exercise options?) EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 7:47 pm

Heather! wrote:
A coworker of mine has an overweight mastiff who started having issues with their hips because of their weight and once it was lost she was fine- I think the vet also gave an inflammatory for a bit.

Yep, that's what happened to Mya! Once she lost the weight the limp was gone! She's still on Glucosamine, but Mya is 6 years old.
Back to top Go down
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

PostSubject: Re: Kiaras Hip Results (exercise options?)   Kiaras Hip Results (exercise options?) EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 8:19 pm

I really hope it won't need surgery, is there pain with HD? Cause shes acting normal (like her normal spastic self wanting to run and play) but last night she was walking like she had a wooden leg, no movement at all, was very stiff.
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Kiaras Hip Results (exercise options?)   Kiaras Hip Results (exercise options?) EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 8:56 pm

Yes, there is discomfort with HD. But a lot of people can use supplements and other things to keep their hips from getting worse and avoid surgery, and since she infact does have HD, I wouldn't imagine it'd be that bad since she is so young. If you think it'd HD, I'd go ahead and get an xray- even just to see how her hips are. I got Koda's hips tested when he turned two just to see if I would be needing to worry or not.
Back to top Go down
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

PostSubject: Re: Kiaras Hip Results (exercise options?)   Kiaras Hip Results (exercise options?) EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 9:45 pm

Ya I'm going to have to get x rays to be able to feel ok
Back to top Go down
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

Female Join date : 2012-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Kiaras Hip Results (exercise options?)   Kiaras Hip Results (exercise options?) EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 11:33 pm

My boxer cross Dash, had HD, the vet said it was only mild but Dash got to the point where he couldnt scratch himself without falling over and one day just woke up unable to walk period.
Prior to being diagnised with HD he walked his back legs crossed over occasionally causing him to wobble slightly.
Also on walks and runs he would scrape his back toenails on the path but the vet said that was due to his other health issues involving his spine and nerves, unrelated to the HD.

Have you got Pet Insurance for her?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/For-the-Love-of-Readi
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

PostSubject: Re: Kiaras Hip Results (exercise options?)   Kiaras Hip Results (exercise options?) EmptyMon Jun 18, 2012 12:26 am

I don't have Insurence Sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kiaras Hip Results (exercise options?)   Kiaras Hip Results (exercise options?) Empty

Back to top Go down

Kiaras Hip Results (exercise options?)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next