It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
jedwards
Teenager
Teenager
jedwards

Female Join date : 2012-04-04

OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups!   OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups! - Page 2 EmptySat May 12, 2012 2:07 pm

Zazu and Simba are pending adoption. I had talked the bf into getting Shenzi and Simba then found that out. We will keep in touch with them and see if some don't get adopted though. The mom is a full blood husky and dad is supposedly an Anatolian. They don't look anything like dad to me and look mostly like mom.
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Female Join date : 2012-03-01

PostSubject: Re: OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups!   OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups! - Page 2 EmptySat May 12, 2012 2:12 pm

Are you going to keep her name? That is such a cool name! We have three huskies ATM (among others), and they are a handful, so good luck with 2 pups! lol!!
Back to top Go down
jedwards
Teenager
Teenager
jedwards

PostSubject: Re: OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups!   OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups! - Page 2 EmptySat May 12, 2012 2:27 pm

We are only getting the one (right now lol).... Shenzi. Not sure if we'll keep the name or not. Now I'm nervous if they might say no! Not sure why they would but that would be horrible! They were shocked we actually knew what we were talking about when I was saying things about huskies Smile
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Female Join date : 2012-03-01

PostSubject: Re: OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups!   OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups! - Page 2 EmptySat May 12, 2012 2:31 pm

Hahaha, that's the way the shelter here was. When I said "Piebald" she was like WHAT???? LOL! It's great!!
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups!   OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups! - Page 2 EmptySat May 12, 2012 3:45 pm

Shenzi is adorable! Congrats on your new baby! Awesome that you got to rescue AND get a puppy at the same time Smile I hope the others go to awesome homes also!
Back to top Go down
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

Male Join date : 2011-04-14

PostSubject: Re: OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups!   OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups! - Page 2 EmptySat May 12, 2012 3:48 pm

Kiara is from the lion king 2 haha
Back to top Go down
libbybell74
Adult
Adult
libbybell74

Female Join date : 2011-10-06

PostSubject: Re: OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups!   OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups! - Page 2 EmptySat May 12, 2012 4:01 pm

Congrats. They are all so adorable. Love the names too!!!
Back to top Go down
jedwards
Teenager
Teenager
jedwards

PostSubject: Re: OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups!   OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups! - Page 2 EmptySat May 12, 2012 4:03 pm

Well... They didn't check before having us fill everything out and she is already pending adoption! Soooo we have our application is attached to Ed!!
Back to top Go down
Snow White
Teenager
Teenager
Snow White

Female Join date : 2012-04-02

PostSubject: Re: OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups!   OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups! - Page 2 EmptySat May 12, 2012 4:05 pm

jedwards wrote:
Thank you Snow White for adding the pictures.
You're so very welcome. Smile

Congrats on your new puppy! I can't wait to see more pictures when you get her home!

Back to top Go down
jedwards
Teenager
Teenager
jedwards

PostSubject: Re: OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups!   OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups! - Page 2 EmptySat May 12, 2012 4:36 pm

I was kind of upset when they left me a voicemail about Shenzi but Ed was our second choice when we were there. I made them tell me on the phone that no one else was pending on him and she said my application was attached to his now. So ED will be getting neutered Monday or Tuesday and coming home then Smile
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups!   OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups! - Page 2 EmptySat May 12, 2012 5:44 pm

Yaaay I love Ed! Congrats!
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups!   OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups! - Page 2 EmptySat May 12, 2012 5:46 pm

congrats on getting Ed he is really good looking..

How old are these babies??
Back to top Go down
jedwards
Teenager
Teenager
jedwards

PostSubject: Re: OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups!   OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups! - Page 2 EmptySat May 12, 2012 7:29 pm

8 weeks. Chase was 12 weeks when we got him and he was huge compared to these tiny babies.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups!   OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups! - Page 2 EmptySat May 12, 2012 10:13 pm

Congrats! I like Sarabi Smile

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups!   OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups! - Page 2 EmptySat May 12, 2012 10:19 pm

Congrats on the new addition!

They are all so cute I don't know how to picked just one! Sarabi is so adorable! I have a thing for black dogs Smile Ed is super cute too!
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups!   OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups! - Page 2 EmptySat May 12, 2012 10:24 pm

Congrats! I think I liked Ed best anyway Razz

Glad you found out about the parents. I was going to say they didn't look purebred husky, but definitely had husky in them Smile

Enjoy!

OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups! - Page 2 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
jedwards
Teenager
Teenager
jedwards

PostSubject: Re: OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups!   OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups! - Page 2 EmptySat May 12, 2012 11:31 pm

I've never been to a kill shelter before today but I am happy to say the staff was very helpful and took the time to find out the parent info when we asked. They also lower their adoption fees as the age of the dog goes up hoping to find homes easier. Under 5 years is $60, 5-10 is $30, and over 10 is free. I hate that I wasn't able to save more than one....
Back to top Go down
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups!   OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups! - Page 2 EmptySat May 12, 2012 11:52 pm

Congrats! Ed is such a cutie. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
jedwards
Teenager
Teenager
jedwards

PostSubject: Re: OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups!   OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups! - Page 2 EmptySat May 12, 2012 11:57 pm

Thank you!! Ready to get him home and love on him! And get some pics Smile
Back to top Go down
jedwards
Teenager
Teenager
jedwards

PostSubject: Re: OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups!   OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups! - Page 2 EmptyMon May 14, 2012 2:27 pm

Ok got a call this morning and all puppies have been exposed to parvo :/ Do we still get him or no? What would you do??
Back to top Go down
Snow White
Teenager
Teenager
Snow White

Female Join date : 2012-04-02

PostSubject: Re: OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups!   OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups! - Page 2 EmptyMon May 14, 2012 2:44 pm

I am so sorry to hear that. That's a tough decision.

Personally I wouldn't risk it with other animals in the house / area.

Some things to consider:

1. Parvo has a fairly high mortality rate, but there's a chance you can nurse a puppy back to health if you have the time, energy and know-how. It really depends on the individual puppy's strength and will to live. Unfortunately, there's also chance your lovable puppy will die after you've shelled out the adoption fee and become attached to him. Are you going to be able to deal with that outcome?

3. Parvo can live in a dogs feces for up to 3 months and he could infect dogs in the neighborhood or your other animals through contact with feces or contaminated environment and soil. You'll have to be diligent about cleaning up after him and keeping him away from other animals at all costs. That means no showing off your new bundle of joy and no socialization with other puppies.

If you're really set on adopting him still, obviously get him to a vet asap to be looked at.

Some things to do at home:
Give the dog lots of fluids.
Regulate the dog's electrolyte levels.
Control the dog's body temperature.
Keep the dog isolated from other untreated dogs for at least a month.
Use a strong bleach/water solution to kill the virus in yards and in the home.
Feed the dog a bland diet until the virus passes through the stool (usually in 4-5 days).
Clean up all the runny stools that could be carrying the virus with bleach.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups!   OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups! - Page 2 EmptyMon May 14, 2012 3:08 pm

I hope Kevin chimes in on this one, one of his rescues did go through a bout of Parvo not too long ago. Whaylon is an adult dog, but had been pretty malnourished at the time. He came through just fine and they had no problems with the other dogs in the house catching it. As long as Chase is vaccinated, you *should* be fine on that one.

That being said, Selene brought up a bunch of really good points about spreading around the neighborhood. It's nasty business, and pups that young do have a really hard time with it. It's up to you, but I'd say if you're willing to go the distance on cleanup and have a possibly extremely sick puppy to nurse, then go for it.

Also, just saying they've been exposed doesn't necissarily mean they will become infected. I don't know what transmission rates are on that, but just remember they might not get sick at all. Best of luck, and let us know how things transpire.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups! - Page 2 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
jedwards
Teenager
Teenager
jedwards

PostSubject: Re: OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups!   OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups! - Page 2 EmptyMon May 14, 2012 3:10 pm

That's my thought.... I don't want to risk Chase getting sick. So sad for those puppies! And they did just say they have all been exposed and not that he has it. I will call them when I get off work.
Back to top Go down
ShawnaAD
Teenager
Teenager
ShawnaAD

Female Join date : 2012-03-30

PostSubject: Re: OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups!   OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups! - Page 2 EmptyMon May 14, 2012 3:52 pm

I had a bout with parvo last August with Mia. She was 11 days old when I brought her home. She was infested with worms and had parvo. The vet at Banfield said they could treat her, and she'd have 50% chance of making it...and it would be upwards of $2,000 for treatment. She was an unexpected puppy so I didn't really have the money for the treatment, so the vet wrote down everything I needed to get and what I needed to do for her best chance. I tube fed her pedalite and puppy milk for the first two weeks we had her. She was dehydrated to the point where her gums were milk white. We were also given a prescription of Hills A/D critical wet dog food that I mixed up in the puppy milk. The hills made a HUGE difference.
Every 30 minutes I gave her 10ccs of pedialite or puppy milk, rotating each time.
I got no sleep whatsoever those first few weeks and didn't go anywhere at all because of treating Mia. We kept her in our laundry room by my dryer in a crate with the dollar store baby blankets. I probably went overboard with the bleach but I bleached EVERYTHING nightly and the blankets were burned each time she used the restroom on them. This worked best with the dollar store blankets as most baby blankets are flame retardant..the dollar stores are not. It would have been more practical to use newspaper but I didn't realize this until afterwards.

She wasn't allowed outside and never left the laundry room to have any socialization with anyone or anything besides myself. It took a lot of time and patience but we got through it. She is now 9 months old and perfect.
From my experience it just depends on how bad the parvo is and how much time you have to devote to the treatment, and make sure the other dogs are vaccinated!

I am so sorry this has happened, Ed looks like an adorable little thing!
Back to top Go down
jedwards
Teenager
Teenager
jedwards

PostSubject: Re: OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups!   OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups! - Page 2 EmptyMon May 14, 2012 4:50 pm

I called and apparently no puppies are allowed to leave the facility because they are all infected. Sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups!   OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups! - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next