It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Snow White
Teenager
Teenager
Snow White

Female Join date : 2012-04-02

OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups!   OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups! - Page 3 EmptyMon May 14, 2012 4:57 pm

jedwards wrote:
I called and apparently no puppies are allowed to leave the facility because they are all infected. Sad
Well, look on the bright side maybe they can get ed all healthy for you and then you can adopt him.
Back to top Go down
ShawnaAD
Teenager
Teenager
ShawnaAD

Female Join date : 2012-03-30

PostSubject: Re: OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups!   OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups! - Page 3 EmptyMon May 14, 2012 4:57 pm

Aww Sad if a puppy has parvovirus at a shelter is that immediate termination or will they treat it? I don't have much experience with shelters.
Back to top Go down
Snow White
Teenager
Teenager
Snow White

PostSubject: Re: OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups!   OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups! - Page 3 EmptyMon May 14, 2012 5:01 pm

ShawnaAD wrote:
Aww Sad if a puppy has parvovirus at a shelter is that immediate termination or will they treat it? I don't have much experience with shelters.
Oh god I don't know... I hope not. Sad
Back to top Go down
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

Male Join date : 2011-04-14

PostSubject: Re: OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups!   OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups! - Page 3 EmptyMon May 14, 2012 6:30 pm

That's sad, u would think testing for things like that would be a priority before putting then up for adoption and getting people's hopes up : /
Back to top Go down
jedwards
Teenager
Teenager
jedwards

Female Join date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups!   OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups! - Page 3 EmptyMon May 14, 2012 6:36 pm

They are putting them all down Sad They had at least 15 - 20 puppies. They were all in isolation. People weren't even allowed to touch them. I guess they were getting calls from people who had adopted puppies about them being sick and that's how they found out. The husky mix puppies had only received one shot for it so far.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups!   OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups! - Page 3 EmptyMon May 14, 2012 6:41 pm

Jessica, I'm so sorry to hear that. What an awful situation Sad

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups! - Page 3 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups!   OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups! - Page 3 EmptyMon May 14, 2012 6:42 pm

jedwards wrote:
They are putting them all down Sad They had at least 15 - 20 puppies. They were all in isolation. People weren't even allowed to touch them. I guess they were getting calls from people who had adopted puppies about them being sick and that's how they found out. The husky mix puppies had only received one shot for it so far.

This is too sad.

I feel sorry for all those that adopted then or were going too.
Back to top Go down
Snow White
Teenager
Teenager
Snow White

PostSubject: Re: OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups!   OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups! - Page 3 EmptyMon May 14, 2012 6:46 pm

jedwards wrote:
Oh my god that is heartbreaking. Sad
Back to top Go down
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

PostSubject: Re: OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups!   OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups! - Page 3 EmptyMon May 14, 2012 6:48 pm

Sad
Back to top Go down
Snow White
Teenager
Teenager
Snow White

PostSubject: Re: OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups!   OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups! - Page 3 EmptyMon May 14, 2012 7:01 pm

This irks me a bit. Is it protocol to kill off puppies with parvo in shelters? They don't try at all? Or was this just this one case?
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups!   OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups! - Page 3 EmptyMon May 14, 2012 7:21 pm

Okay, sorry for delay in chiming in on this. I just got online and saw the email and jumped on here first. I read a few posts and thought I would go ahead and make a quick post and then reply 2nd with responses but start with story of Weldon the Parvo dog I had a few week.

Weldon came up as a emergency rescue dog. He weighed in just at 30 lbs and should have been around 45-50 guessing. He didn't care much for food when we got him, but a bowl of water was his new friend! He started to become lazy (don't remember fancy term they used- maybe lathargic) and wouldn't eat or drink. The signs are slow to progess, at least with him they were. When/If they say he has it, you need do a mass cleaning- bowls, blankets..anything and all things the dog can/could/would come in contact with. Also isolation is key. The dog needs to stay away from where any would go except for feeding and checking in on him. I recommend one person to do it so it doesn't get chance to pass on to another later because of all the people in contact with the parvo dog. We used rain suits from gander mountain to put on and off when going into the area with Weldon. Just like the movie breakout i think- lil hazmat suits. Parvo is very very bad for dogs as likely everyone said. Luckily Weldon is doing very well. For food start him off with bland as bland gets food. We did boiled chicken and rice, then added some moist kibble or can food (small amounts) we fed that for a few days each level of kibble added to it. Then we did some pumpkin to help him out some. Okay...I am going to go back and read some more of the posts. I wanted to chime in quickly to help out.
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups!   OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups! - Page 3 EmptyMon May 14, 2012 7:35 pm

Parvo treatment takes time and patience if you ever get a dog that has it. Sad to hear any dog going through it after seeing it first hand. The part I like (yes i try to find positive sides to everything) is that no matter how long away from weldon I am- He remembers who I am and I get a huge whole body wag and he can't even bark. he barks normally with others when he sees them, but seems to excited to even bark when its me. Even though I only had weldon a few days at my house, I was the one who took care of him mostly. We fed him water and pedialyte...sometimes having to force pure (nasty tasting) pedialyte using a puppy suringe to do it. Also, another trick we used was to make a slurry out of the rice with pedialyte/water mix then stir in small chunks of chicken.

What the vets told us that is scary of parvo is all the different strands out there and the parvo shots are only a select few strands.

i hope this helps now for someone if they need it (hopefully not) or in the future.
Back to top Go down
ShawnaAD
Teenager
Teenager
ShawnaAD

Female Join date : 2012-03-30

PostSubject: Re: OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups!   OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups! - Page 3 EmptyMon May 14, 2012 7:59 pm

That is terrible. I guess adopting the puppies out, even to fully capable people, just isn't allowed. I hate that they got your hopes up so much just to tell you that they have to put him down, that really sucks! Sad
Back to top Go down
iceblulady
Adult
Adult
iceblulady

Female Join date : 2012-01-06

PostSubject: Re: OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups!   OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups! - Page 3 EmptyMon May 14, 2012 8:09 pm

Oh no... So sorry to hear this. I feel so sad for the puppies Sad
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups!   OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups! - Page 3 EmptyMon May 14, 2012 8:32 pm

I am so sorry to hear about this.

Parvo is such a terrible disease that one will never forget if you've ever been around it.

I had wanted a puppy for so long when I was a teenager and my mom got me a 8 week old German Shepherd puppy. He seemed happy and healthy and within 2 days of having him he took a turn for the worse. We rushed him to the emergency vet where they diagnosed him with parvo, worms, and a couple other things I can't remember. He was so bad off it would have cost thousands to treat him and they gave him less than 5% chance of pulling through. We had to put him to sleep that night Sad

Like Kevin said, you have to wash EVERYTHING and disinfect like CRAZY! I couldn't get another puppy for month's, because it takes so long for it to clear out.

On the bright side, at least you didn't bring him home and expose you're current dog to this disease.

It's so heartbreaking reading sad thing's like this. Poor babies ...
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups!   OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups! - Page 3 EmptyMon May 14, 2012 8:36 pm

just incase there is confusion...cleaning should be done with a diluted bleach solution.
Back to top Go down
jedwards
Teenager
Teenager
jedwards

PostSubject: Re: OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups!   OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups! - Page 3 EmptyMon May 14, 2012 8:46 pm

It's very sad that all those puppies are being put down. I think they are doing it to prevent the spread of the disease since it is so contagious between animals. And I've been thinking to myself if we would have brought him home Saturday then Chase would have been.exposed and if he would've got sick I don't know what I'd do. Poor poor puppies. Sad
Back to top Go down
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

PostSubject: Re: OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups!   OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups! - Page 3 EmptyMon May 14, 2012 8:48 pm

I thought it would be standard practice at every rescue place to do a basic test for such common diseases like parvo, especially when it's rescues. Why would they waste their own time and everyone else without verifying they are even healthy... And the fact people took home sick dogs that have contaminated their home w parvo now as well... Seems irresponsible.
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups!   OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups! - Page 3 EmptyMon May 14, 2012 8:58 pm

Weldon went to vet before he came down with Parvo and was all good on check up. So just putting it out there that parvo is a lil demon that isn't a typical virus. I think we got weldon on wed nite or thursday nite and then saturday evening he became the parvo case. Took him sunday nite at half time during the pats loss (the best super bowls ever) super bowl. We took him to Indy airport emergency vet and ran a bill of about $500 with take home IV bags (SIL was a vet tech years ago) to last a few days.
Back to top Go down
jedwards
Teenager
Teenager
jedwards

PostSubject: Re: OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups!   OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups! - Page 3 EmptyMon May 14, 2012 9:05 pm

They had said if they had been given more than one dose of shots that they might have a better chance.
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups!   OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups! - Page 3 EmptyMon May 14, 2012 9:07 pm

That is true, the odds would have increased but imo there is nothing anyone can say for sure when its comes to this evil parvo. Kudos though on looking into shelters for dogs. Don't loose your hope, there are lots of dogs in need of a great home. I got my girls from what were thought be good homes in my opinion that didn't work out in long run.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups!   OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups! - Page 3 EmptyMon May 14, 2012 9:36 pm

Snow White wrote:
This irks me a bit. Is it protocol to kill off puppies with parvo in shelters? They don't try at all? Or was this just this one case?

Parvovirus is a horrible horrible sickness. What this shelter did was IMO the most responsible thing to do. Puppies are the most vulnable and are the least likely to survive. The more time they spend keeping the puppies there and keeping them alive, the higher chance of this disease spreading to other dogs. While reading this it may seem heartless... But seeing what this does to them and how quickly they go down hill... It is an easier decision than others.

If it were my own personal puppy I would fight to keep them alive as much as I could... But a shelter who only has so much funding and so much staff/time... It's not worth the risk. You aren't only putting the other dogs in the facility at risk, but any of the staff members personal pets or animals who are in the facility for clinic services.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups!   OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups! - Page 3 EmptyMon May 14, 2012 11:28 pm

Thats so sad! Sorry for the bad news. Sad
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups!   OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups! - Page 3 EmptyTue May 15, 2012 3:43 am

That's so sad Sad But definitely the most responsible thing to do Sad

My friend rescued an 8 week old deaf catahoula puppy. Drove all the way from Wisconsin to Texas to get him, only to have him die from Parvo a few weeks later Sad I felt so bad for her as she got him as a remembrance of her deaf pit that got hit by a car a few months before Sad
Back to top Go down
Fenrir
Puppy
Puppy
Fenrir

Male Join date : 2012-03-22

PostSubject: Re: OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups!   OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups! - Page 3 EmptyTue May 15, 2012 9:07 am

Parvo is mean. Even if they saved them from this bout, those puppies would have a future of chronic hospital visits. A friend of mine's husky was a parvo puppy and she is constantly getting sick and running up vet bills because the parvovirus shredded her immune system.

Those poor puppies. As sad as it is, it likely is the most rational choice to put them down. The treatment is too expensive for a low-income company like a rescue to handle and most people aren't looking to buy a puppy who is already racking up medical costs. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups!   OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups! - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

OMG local (45 min away) shelter has 7 baby pups!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next