It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Hello from Knoxville, TN

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
myndsplyntur
Puppy
Puppy
myndsplyntur

Female Join date : 2009-11-11

Hello from Knoxville, TN Empty
PostSubject: Hello from Knoxville, TN   Hello from Knoxville, TN EmptyFri Dec 11, 2009 6:01 pm

Hello, my name is Amanda and my husband and I adopted a husky (possibly mixed with something else, but other husky owners have told me that she looks full) from the local Humane Society in May of this year and, although we had some growing pains at first, things are going smoothly now. Her name is Roxy and she's about a year and half old now. Will post pics soon... looking forward to learning lots here!

Shocked

Hello from Knoxville, TN RoxyTail

Hello from Knoxville, TN RoxyPlay

**updated w/pics

Last edited by myndsplyntur on Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Knoxville, TN   Hello from Knoxville, TN EmptyFri Dec 11, 2009 6:20 pm

Welcome, glad you found our fun group! glad to here you adopted! that is how we got our 2!
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Knoxville, TN   Hello from Knoxville, TN EmptyFri Dec 11, 2009 6:26 pm

Welcome! Nice that things are going better now, but I would still be interested in hearing some "growing pains" stories. If she was around a year when you got her, I bet you had some fun.
Back to top Go down
BONFIRE HUSKIES
Teenager
Teenager
BONFIRE HUSKIES

Male Join date : 2009-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Knoxville, TN   Hello from Knoxville, TN EmptyFri Dec 11, 2009 6:55 pm

Welcome! and your story is the exact same as mine even her name that is way to weird. The only dif is we took her from a bad home not a shelter
Back to top Go down
myndsplyntur
Puppy
Puppy
myndsplyntur

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Knoxville, TN   Hello from Knoxville, TN EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 4:40 pm

jbealer wrote:
Welcome, glad you found our fun group! glad to here you adopted! that is how we got our 2!

We really wanted to adopt... we had looked around at lots of pups available for sale (not specifically a husky) and were just disgusted with the whole process... so we decided it would be better to adopt. We checked both of the local adoption shelters, and the second one was with the Humane Society of the TN Valley, and when we pulled up Roxy (her name was Delta at the time...) was outside in the fenced in area... almost like she was waiting for us... so yeah that's how we ended up with her... Smile
Back to top Go down
myndsplyntur
Puppy
Puppy
myndsplyntur

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Knoxville, TN   Hello from Knoxville, TN EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 5:02 pm

harrise wrote:
Welcome! Nice that things are going better now, but I would still be interested in hearing some "growing pains" stories. If she was around a year when you got her, I bet you had some fun.

Yeah... well we weren't well versed on Huskies and how stubborn / smart they are, and the first day we left her home alone to go to work, we didn't crate her... cuz I thought crating was "inhumane". Well, we came home and she had destroyed three sets of blinds... I guess not too bad, but I think that's only cause we don't have much downstairs.

Second day, we put her in the spare bedroom, and she ripped up all the carpet in there. So, we had to break down and get a crate for her. We got a crate that was slightly larger than recommended, because I still felt badly about the whole thing.

Third day, she had managed to rip up the plastic bottom to her crate AND escaped from the crate (she kept pushing her nose against the door until the hinge came undone so she could slide out) and pulled down another set of blinds. So we went out and bought a couple small padlocks to put on the door of the crate to keep her from jiggling it open.

Fourth day, she moved the crate around the living room and ripped up part of the couch (good thing it was a hand me down couch), along with some other items... although she did pull in my husband's shoes but didn't chew or destroy them at all.

Long story short, we finally "beat" her by zip-tying the crate (so she couldn't collapse it), using the padlocks on the crate door (so she couldn't jiggle the handles loose), buying some smooth, glazed plywood to put against the right side and back of the crate (so she wouldn't crash the crate into the walls and scratch it up), and using another piece of smooth plywood on the left side of the crate and pushing the couch against the crate so she couldn't move the crate around the living room.Shocked

However, she doesn't need to be crated anymore. Been over three months and the worst she has done is chew up a cup that I shouldn't have left within her reach.

sunny
Back to top Go down
myndsplyntur
Puppy
Puppy
myndsplyntur

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Knoxville, TN   Hello from Knoxville, TN EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 5:03 pm

BONFIRE HUSKIES wrote:
Welcome! and your story is the exact same as mine even her name that is way to weird. The only dif is we took her from a bad home not a shelter

It seems that Roxy is quite a common dog name... I've run across three other dog owners with the same name, the first at her initial vet visit, lol...
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Knoxville, TN   Hello from Knoxville, TN EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 5:41 pm

I didn't see this posting before, but welcome to the group! I'm so glad you went through growing pains and still decided to love her Smile Koda put us through our fair share too!

She's gorgeous and definitely looks purebred to me Smile

Hello from Knoxville, TN Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Knoxville, TN   Hello from Knoxville, TN EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 9:48 pm

Hi Amanda and welcome! Kudos for adopting. Roxy definitely looks full husky to me. Wink

Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Knoxville, TN   Hello from Knoxville, TN EmptyMon Dec 14, 2009 1:24 pm

Love the stories and glad you were loving enought to get through it!.
Back to top Go down
amykmac
Adult
Adult
amykmac

Female Join date : 2009-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Knoxville, TN   Hello from Knoxville, TN EmptyMon Dec 14, 2009 10:18 pm

Hi Amanda! And Roxy!
Welome!
When my hubby and I met, he had 2 older Huskies and a German Shep/Mix. After living with them all for awhile, I thought I was a pro. We lost our male and eventually adopted another Husky. Enter Nanuk. This pro became a novice overnight! That was 2 1/2 years and two more Huskies ago, and I am STILL learning. A lot of it is coming from here. This is a great site!

As my hubby often says, "you don't train a Husky, a Husky trains you!" Very Happy They train you to NOT leave food on the counter, NOT leave the bathroom door open when you're gone, NOT let them out of your sight, etc.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Knoxville, TN   Hello from Knoxville, TN EmptyTue Dec 15, 2009 1:03 pm

amykmac wrote:
Hi Amanda! And Roxy!
Welome!
When my hubby and I met, he had 2 older Huskies and a German Shep/Mix. After living with them all for awhile, I thought I was a pro. We lost our male and eventually adopted another Husky. Enter Nanuk. This pro became a novice overnight! That was 2 1/2 years and two more Huskies ago, and I am STILL learning. A lot of it is coming from here. This is a great site!

As my hubby often says, "you don't train a Husky, a Husky trains you!" Very Happy They train you to NOT leave food on the counter, NOT leave the bathroom door open when you're gone, NOT let them out of your sight, etc.

I LOVE YOUR HUSBANDS SAYING!!! it is so true Smile just this morning i left my bag on the ground and someone found my candy in it! i just never learn!
Back to top Go down
amykmac
Adult
Adult
amykmac

Female Join date : 2009-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Knoxville, TN   Hello from Knoxville, TN EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 10:25 pm

And dogs are the ones who go through abedience training! Razz Part of the fun of a husky is the learning process (so I tell myself, over & over & over again!)
Back to top Go down
haleyh_08
Puppy
Puppy
haleyh_08

Female Join date : 2009-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Knoxville, TN   Hello from Knoxville, TN EmptySat Jan 02, 2010 2:01 am

Hi, I'm from savannah tennessee. And i'm glad to know im not the only one crazy enough to have a husky in this warm southern weather.

Roxy is adorable, she have the same facial markings as my husky kodi. (:
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/haleyh_08
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Knoxville, TN   Hello from Knoxville, TN Empty

Back to top Go down

Hello from Knoxville, TN

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1