It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Question about potty training...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
lizzyduhh
Puppy
Puppy
lizzyduhh

Female Join date : 2012-04-10

Question about potty training... Empty
PostSubject: Question about potty training...   Question about potty training... EmptySun May 20, 2012 4:51 am

how long did it take you to potty train your husky puppy?
Back to top Go down
MyKeeonah
Teenager
Teenager
MyKeeonah

Male Join date : 2012-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Question about potty training...   Question about potty training... EmptySun May 20, 2012 5:05 am

"potty trained" is a relative term. Keeonah was potty trained in the sense that she would run to the back door and let me know it was time to go out by the time she was 3 or 4 months old. However, a puppy's bladder doesn't finish developing until around 9 months, so if she got over-excited, nervous, or panicked, or simply couldn't hold it anymore, she would still pee inside. She is almost 7.5 months now, and hasn't had an accident inside in well over a month.

I think most all accidents inside the house are related to us as owners not picking up on their signs that it's time to go out. We still have to correct the behavior when we catch it, but the reality is, we are the ones being potty trained:P. They have to go when they have to go, and we have to be ready to let them out. At this point, keeonah will come up to me, get my attention with her nose or her paw, then run to the back door and wait, but it takes a lot of consistency and practice before they catch on to how to let you know that it's time.

hope this helps!
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Question about potty training...   Question about potty training... EmptySun May 20, 2012 5:09 am

Hah, potty training.

Embry was older then 9 months before he wasn't constantly going in the house. He was horrible. He was on puppy pads till 8 months.

Zoey came to us at 16 weeks completely housebroken
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Question about potty training...   Question about potty training... EmptySun May 20, 2012 8:37 am

MyKeeonah wrote:
"potty trained" is a relative term. Keeonah was potty trained in the sense that she would run to the back door and let me know it was time to go out by the time she was 3 or 4 months old.
I think most all accidents inside the house are related to us as owners not picking up on their signs that it's time to go out.
They have to go when they have to go, and we have to be ready to let them out. At this point, keeonah will come up to me, get my attention with her nose or her paw, then run to the back door and wait, but it takes a lot of consistency and practice before they catch on to how to let you know that it's time.

Your response is right on the money.
Back to top Go down
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

Male Join date : 2011-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Question about potty training...   Question about potty training... EmptySun May 20, 2012 10:23 am

Kiara is 2 and still pees when someone new pets her Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Question about potty training...   Question about potty training... EmptySun May 20, 2012 11:51 am

brady.law wrote:
Kiara is 2 and still pees when someone new pets her Crying or Very sad

I wouldn't consider that a housebreaking issue. That's excitement or submissive peeing. Willow has this. She had both...she would submissive pee with my son but excitement pee with guest that came over. We were able to fix the submissive pee issue and have cut down on the excitement pee issue. Willow spazs when company comes over so I really have to work on calming her.

As to the housebreaking. I agree, the faster you learn their signs the easier it is. My first dog was a breeze to train but I lived in a tiny house that had the door right there in the living room so there was no missing him going to sit st the door. The last two I trained was in the house I am in now and the door we use is hidden two rooms away. It took forever for me to catch on when they needed to go. I finally used a timer system until they got old enough to hold it longer than two hours.
Back to top Go down
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

Male Join date : 2011-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Question about potty training...   Question about potty training... EmptySun May 20, 2012 12:51 pm

Ya it's still annoying I was thinking oh a few months she will grow out of it... Nope, still here. God forbid she doesn't see me or some she is used to seeing consistently... I have to take her out back and have them greet her cause it's like someone let go of the fire hose. She's peeing and rolling around submitting howling all over the place.
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Question about potty training...   Question about potty training... EmptySun May 20, 2012 6:26 pm

3-4 weeks! Though this wasn't my first rodeo with potty training. Anytime she eat or drink water, go out to potty. Every time she woke up out to go potty.

Darren and I still joke around saying to her poop poop pee pee. lol
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Question about potty training...   Question about potty training... EmptySun May 20, 2012 8:29 pm

Well it took about 3 weeks for Cato to understand that outside meant peeing and he couldn't just go cause he felt like it. He will be 5 months in a week, and he is doing really good about it now. Occasionally he gets to wrapped up in what he is doing that he forgets to tell me and then it just come out while he is moving. He is doing great though. And Delilah is loving the extra outside time.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Question about potty training...   Question about potty training... EmptySun May 20, 2012 8:54 pm

Koda was potty trained at 8 weeks- he has one accident, redirected him, and never did it again.
Rogue was potty trained by 12 weeks (got her at 9 weeks) though she got a UTI so we had a small setback around 6 months but once she finished the meds she was good to go again.
Back to top Go down
lizzyduhh
Puppy
Puppy
lizzyduhh

PostSubject: Re: Question about potty training...   Question about potty training... EmptyMon May 21, 2012 2:43 am

Thanks all. I've only had my pup for 5 days and i'm in no rush, i was just curious what to expect. My rescue was already potty trained when i adopted her.
Back to top Go down
Callicocat
Puppy
Puppy
Callicocat

Female Join date : 2012-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Question about potty training...   Question about potty training... EmptyMon May 21, 2012 4:28 pm

I was just wondering the same thing Lizzy, I've had Rue for about a week and he pees inside some times and doesn't seem to tell me when he has to go or rather maybe I'm not picking it up fully yet!

I try my best to keep an eye out and take him out every time he wakes up, or after eats and play but accidents do happen Smile
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Question about potty training...   Question about potty training... EmptyMon May 21, 2012 4:58 pm

Potty training has been fun (NOT!) with Asia! Just this morning she had a poo poo accident right in front of my face!!! Rolling Eyes I don't remember how difficult it was with Mya, but Kody got it within 2 weeks (at most).

Asia came to us at 6 months. Had her a month/1 week now and while it's MUCH better she still has her accidents. Main one being at 5am right before they're going outside. She'll pee in a corner in our bedroom before I even have time to put my robe on!

We limit her water/food intact in the mornings and it works most of the time with accidents in the crate. Whenever she drinks more water than usual in the mornings we get home to her covered in pee Mad

I've learned her signs so I'm sure that helps. Hubby is always like "she doesn't have to pee" and I'm like "oh, yes she does buddy!".

Baby steps...
Back to top Go down
lizzyduhh
Puppy
Puppy
lizzyduhh

PostSubject: Re: Question about potty training...   Question about potty training... EmptyTue May 22, 2012 1:55 pm

since i first wrote this post Jinx has progressed amazingly! she has not had a poopy accident since her first day [knock on wood!] and when i'm at work or sleeping, she goes pee right on the newspaper we leave out for her and holds her poops until we go outside. and whenever i take her out, all i have to say is "go potty" and she does! i've never done bathroom training with a "cue word", but its pretty cool!!!

Of course, i cant forget to acknowledge how much Colby [my 2 y/o husky] has been helping with her training as well. I'd bet a lot of money that Jinx has learned more from Colby than she has from me, my partner and my roommate all together.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Question about potty training...   Question about potty training... EmptyTue May 22, 2012 2:36 pm

That's great! Ive used cue words for potty time since we got Cheyenne. It makes things so easy!

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Aurorablue_eyes
Newborn
Newborn
Aurorablue_eyes

Female Join date : 2012-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Question about potty training...   Question about potty training... EmptySat May 26, 2012 2:49 pm

I've had Aurora for about a week, she is probable 2months old and she has only had about 4 accidents in the house. When she has to go to the bathroom she will whimper and pace around the house and go and sit by the door. When we take her outside we praise her and sometimes give her a treat if she goes to the bathroom outside and she loves it. All the times she has had a accident it was b.c we weren't paying attention to her signs.

What would be the best way to correct her if she goes to the bathroom inside? We have been hitting here on the butt lightly and then taking her outside and most the time she will go to the bathroom again outside and if she goes we praise her by giving her kisses, hugs, and play with her.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Question about potty training...   Question about potty training... EmptySat May 26, 2012 5:23 pm

Huskies really don't respond well to hitting, even if the contact is light. If you don't catch her in the act, you can't punish because she won't associate the act with getting punished. If you do catch her in the act, say in a stern voice "outside", and then quickly pick her up and take her outside to finish the job. She'll catch on pretty quickly that way. When she does go potty outside, you have the right idea with the praises and whatnot, but take it a step further. Throw an absolute party for her. Also, find the treat that she loves most in the world and ONLY give it to her when she potties outside. That will help tremendously. Good luck!

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Question about potty training... 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Aurorablue_eyes
Newborn
Newborn
Aurorablue_eyes

Female Join date : 2012-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Question about potty training...   Question about potty training... EmptySat May 26, 2012 11:52 pm

blueeyedghost wrote:
Huskies really don't respond well to hitting, even if the contact is light. If you don't catch her in the act, you can't punish because she won't associate the act with getting punished. If you do catch her in the act, say in a stern voice "outside", and then quickly pick her up and take her outside to finish the job. She'll catch on pretty quickly that way. When she does go potty outside, you have the right idea with the praises and whatnot, but take it a step further. Throw an absolute party for her. Also, find the treat that she loves most in the world and ONLY give it to her when she potties outside. That will help tremendously. Good luck!

ok this helps thank you!
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Question about potty training...   Question about potty training... EmptySat May 26, 2012 11:58 pm

You're very welcome!

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Question about potty training... 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Ashleymarie9807
Teenager
Teenager
Ashleymarie9807

Female Join date : 2012-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Question about potty training...   Question about potty training... EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 8:01 am

I have the same thing, my pup is a week shy of five months, he did very well, 72 hours not a single accident, I was so excited..Then one day it was raining really hard and he peed in the house 3 times, since then he has been peeing in the house about twice a day, When he has to make Poop he will go sit by the door and start to make little howls, but I really think he just does not associate outside with peeing, I am going to start taking his water away, I feel bad doing this because he drinks A LOT of water, But he just is not getting it with the Peeing. I don't understand how he associated pooping with outside but not peeing, SOO FRUSTRATING.
Back to top Go down
LRomero
Newborn
Newborn
LRomero

Male Join date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Question about potty training...   Question about potty training... EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 1:39 pm

I've got Hannah to where she's somewhat associated outside with the bathroom... In fact, one area of our apartment I notice when she needs to go she will sniff around the grass until she finds her spot and go. However, how exactly do you get them to tell you when they need to go?

Should I be taking her out every time she tries to get my attention and if she doesn't go within a minute take her back in?
Back to top Go down
Ashleymarie9807
Teenager
Teenager
Ashleymarie9807

Female Join date : 2012-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Question about potty training...   Question about potty training... EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 3:18 pm

Iv noticed with Thunder, if he gets a burst of energy and runs around (Zoomies) its because he has to go potty and is trying to tell us.
Back to top Go down
taveraw
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: Question about potty training...   Question about potty training... EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 3:48 pm

They all have their ways of telling you when they have to go. Often it evolves differently. Our older dog will rub his rear hip on the couch near us when he has to go. The middle dog will come up to us and dance (we call it the potty dance). Neeka, the husky pup, we did the bell training. It seems to be working well, she'll go to the door and ring the bells.
Back to top Go down
xxchristine
Puppy
Puppy
xxchristine

Female Join date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Question about potty training...   Question about potty training... EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 8:40 pm

Both my pups do the bell too. Kota's mom, however, used to howl when she needed to go outside. They all have their own way of telling you, you just gotta figure out what it is first..haha. Which is why we just went ahead and taught them to use the bell.
Back to top Go down
http://xxchristine.tumblr.com
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

Female Join date : 2012-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Question about potty training...   Question about potty training... EmptySat Sep 08, 2012 3:14 am

Freya is slowly starting to associate outside with toileting.
She scrapes on the back door when she needs to go. Sometimes she will just walk to the back door and look at me as if 'Well arent you going to open it, or do you want me to pee on the mat again?'
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/For-the-Love-of-Readi
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question about potty training...   Question about potty training... Empty

Back to top Go down

Question about potty training...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next