It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Our new foster- Valkyrie!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Female Join date : 2012-03-01

Our new foster- Valkyrie! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our new foster- Valkyrie!   Our new foster- Valkyrie! - Page 2 EmptyWed May 30, 2012 2:23 pm

She is GORGEOUS!
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Our new foster- Valkyrie!   Our new foster- Valkyrie! - Page 2 EmptyWed May 30, 2012 4:51 pm

She's adorable! Smile

With the ridge "indent" in the middle of her face - I think she's either part Jindo or Japanese Akita mix (tail is more Akita - but that could be the husky mix part!). Jindo size is 20" - so that makes sense! I'll fwd her pic to the rescue I work with for identification and ask to post her up for you! Smile
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Our new foster- Valkyrie!   Our new foster- Valkyrie! - Page 2 EmptyWed May 30, 2012 5:06 pm

Thanks Sam! She certainly doesn't have any of the harsh features (behavioral or physical) of Jindos/Akitas/Chows. Her tail curls nicely but she carries it down about as often as it's carried high. Her face has the defining lines of some spitz breeds but it's softer. Everything about her physical features is very soft.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Our new foster- Valkyrie!   Our new foster- Valkyrie! - Page 2 EmptyWed May 30, 2012 5:07 pm

My mom doesn't know of any rescue down there, but said she could post her for you and she said to ask sibe rescue to see if they would too. So send me 3 pictures that you like the best and a description including your location and what area you are wanting to find her a home in and I'll have my mom post it. It will show up as in Winter Park, but if people like her enough and read the description, they'll see she's in south fl.

Our new foster- Valkyrie! - Page 2 Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: Our new foster- Valkyrie!   Our new foster- Valkyrie! - Page 2 EmptyWed May 30, 2012 5:24 pm

I'll send you an email with the pics and description tonight, thanks Sara. I PM'd Phil... have not gotten an answer yet.

Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

PostSubject: Re: Our new foster- Valkyrie!   Our new foster- Valkyrie! - Page 2 EmptyWed May 30, 2012 6:34 pm

arooroomom wrote:
Thanks Sam! She certainly doesn't have any of the harsh features (behavioral or physical) of Jindos/Akitas/Chows. Her tail curls nicely but she carries it down about as often as it's carried high. Her face has the defining lines of some spitz breeds but it's softer. Everything about her physical features is very soft.

Our asian dog expert/rescue owner says "And re Valkyrie - has such a look of our Bob in the face! Several of the photos she does indeed look quite Akita to me. What a beauty she is!" So definitely Akita in there! Probably Japanese Akita? There are several body types/looks for each of the asian breeds - many of the Jindos we rescue look very different from one another! There's even classifications in Korea for the "body" type. Definitely not a Siberian Husky "standard" type of thing where there is one acceptable look. She is sooo adorable! I would definitely crosspost her on local Akita pages. Usually females are not as prevalent in the rescues and highly sought after, in our experience (unneutered males roam, get rowdy, mark, etc so are more likely strays, owner surrenders).
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

PostSubject: Re: Our new foster- Valkyrie!   Our new foster- Valkyrie! - Page 2 EmptyWed May 30, 2012 6:55 pm

Oh! And the interesting thing about many of these breeds is that the males and females sometimes have a different look to them. Some of the female jindos are more "foxy" looking.
Back to top Go down
Demon&Dakota
Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Our new foster- Valkyrie!   Our new foster- Valkyrie! - Page 2 EmptyWed May 30, 2012 8:18 pm

So pack member #6??? Twisted Evil

She is beautiful!
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Our new foster- Valkyrie!   Our new foster- Valkyrie! - Page 2 EmptyWed May 30, 2012 10:07 pm

Akitas and shibas are pretty much the same... shiba is just the smallest "version." Shiba, Shikokou, Akita.
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

PostSubject: Re: Our new foster- Valkyrie!   Our new foster- Valkyrie! - Page 2 EmptyWed May 30, 2012 10:20 pm

I just noticed the tongue - apparently many different breeds can have them! Doesn't necessarily mean Chow.
http://puppyintraining.com/can-a-purebred-dog-have-a-spotted-tongue/
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: Our new foster- Valkyrie!   Our new foster- Valkyrie! - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 02, 2012 3:41 pm

Thanks to Sara, we got Valkyrie on Petfinder Smile

I've gotten an email from a very nice lady who I then forwarded an application on to.

She's so sweet! Someone is going to be very lucky!

Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Our new foster- Valkyrie!   Our new foster- Valkyrie! - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 02, 2012 3:48 pm

I'd take her if I was allowed to have a 3rd right now. Sigh!
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

PostSubject: Re: Our new foster- Valkyrie!   Our new foster- Valkyrie! - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 02, 2012 4:08 pm

Fingers crossed for the nice lady! Where is she located? Down near you or up near me?

Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: Our new foster- Valkyrie!   Our new foster- Valkyrie! - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 02, 2012 4:18 pm

Palm Harbor- near St. Pete

So it's far either way! lol! We'll see what she says on the app.

Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

PostSubject: Re: Our new foster- Valkyrie!   Our new foster- Valkyrie! - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 02, 2012 4:44 pm

lol. I could probably pull some strings with sibe rescue or husky haven and get a home check done for you if you want. I've done home checks for both those rescues and they may be willing since they are located near st. pete. But if she sounds good, I'd probably just do a vet check and referrence checks.

Back to top Go down
Legend_of_Faolan
Teenager
Teenager
Legend_of_Faolan

Female Join date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Our new foster- Valkyrie!   Our new foster- Valkyrie! - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 02, 2012 10:30 pm

SaraB wrote:
lol. I could probably pull some strings with sibe rescue or husky haven and get a home check done for you if you want. I've done home checks for both those rescues and they may be willing since they are located near st. pete. But if she sounds good, I'd probably just do a vet check and referrence checks.

Sort of off topic a little, but when you call references, what types of things do you ask? I know if I wanted to adopt right now I would not have very many references at all that would know much about how I keep my dogs aside from my fiance.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: Our new foster- Valkyrie!   Our new foster- Valkyrie! - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 03, 2012 12:03 pm

Valkyrie!

So the woman who I spoke of earlier may not be a good fit. "Her mom" asked how much the dog eats and wants to know what size crate to get... I haven't even gotten a complete application for her yet and how much she eats? Are they basing their decision off how much it's going to cost to feed the dog? That gave me a negative vibe.

Legend_of_Faolan wrote:
SaraB wrote:

Sort of off topic a little, but when you call references, what types of things do you ask? I know if I wanted to adopt right now I would not have very many references at all that would know much about how I keep my dogs aside from my fiance.

I think it depends on what's placed on the application. Usually i'll ask if things they put on the app are true (like fenced in yard, how many dogs they have, who lives at the house, how they are with their dog, how busy they are.) Very rarely will I get much information from a vet reference as most aren't willing to disclose any info (to me anyway, perhaps an actual established rescue gets more leniency.) But they will usually tell me how many pets they have and if they are current with vaccines or neutered.

Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

PostSubject: Re: Our new foster- Valkyrie!   Our new foster- Valkyrie! - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 09, 2012 10:23 pm

Love the video - Val is such a cutie! And I'd get a weird vibe about that app too - esp. since her "MOM" asked a question. I was trying to help rehome dogs because someone's mom didn't like them pooping in the yard.... <roll eyes> - I told them to start taking them on longer walks.
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

PostSubject: Re: Our new foster- Valkyrie!   Our new foster- Valkyrie! - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 09, 2012 10:54 pm

Haha...Elara was sleeping at my feet and when I started the video she woke up barking. lol. Have you gotten more interest in her yet?

Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: Our new foster- Valkyrie!   Our new foster- Valkyrie! - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 09, 2012 10:56 pm

There was another woman.. Nice house, lots of property, but something didn't feel right. She wanted to get Valkyrie for her 15 year old daughter. I told her I was slightly unsure of the adoption but she could still meet her today... She never responded.

Other than that just the usual HOW MUCH IS THE DOG emails... Lol

Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

PostSubject: Re: Our new foster- Valkyrie!   Our new foster- Valkyrie! - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 09, 2012 11:23 pm

lol. My mom loves those e-mails! She always responds with her fill out this application and never gets a reply.

Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: Our new foster- Valkyrie!   Our new foster- Valkyrie! - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 1:27 pm

Well I got a very promising email and application from a family in Lox! I have no unsure feelings and he used to have 2 Huskies! Waiting on more info from him but he may meet us on Saturday for our Husky meetup!

I'm so happy because I got nervous that I may have gotten too attached to her and that's why I turned that other family off... But i'm glad I followed my gut, obviously something didn't sit right!

Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Female Join date : 2012-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Our new foster- Valkyrie!   Our new foster- Valkyrie! - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 1:31 pm

Yay! That's awesome! I'm glad you followed your gut too!
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Our new foster- Valkyrie!   Our new foster- Valkyrie! - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 2:25 pm

bounce That's awesome!!!
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Our new foster- Valkyrie!   Our new foster- Valkyrie! - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 2:56 pm

Yay! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Our new foster- Valkyrie!   Our new foster- Valkyrie! - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Our new foster- Valkyrie!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next