It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY   UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 5:03 pm

Koda wrote:
We are assimilating quite well! Running with the pack almost without fear now...
UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY - Page 2 Img_0310

She looks so grateful for all that is happening.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY   UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 5:08 pm

Here4thePics wrote:
She looks so grateful for all that is happening.
She is quite the happy girl in general. What a beautiful and wonderful dog. She reminds me a lot of Hailey. Just a love muffin and totally people-dependent.

ETA: Also, got her paperwork from the vet no problem. We are up-to-date on Rabies and distemper. She's also spayed-- I think I forgot to mention that. Beautiful little lady she is!

UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY - Page 2 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY   UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 5:21 pm

Everything you are saying about her reminds me of our new additon Kerian she is such a people dog gets upset with us if we leave with out her. Kerian is crate train loves it infact sleeps in it during the day. She take snack fairly good could use a little work.

They are such happy dogs knowing that betters things are ahead for them I think.. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY   UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 7:33 pm

So happy with the update - you're awesome for taking her in Tori and Chris! Smile She's such a doll - so adorable! Love the pics of the huskies together. And good with CATS? OMG! Awesome!
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY   UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 8:55 pm

Had my inlaws over for dinner. Chris, Kelly.... if it doesn't work out, my mother-in-law is in love, lol. You got a great dog coming your way! I hope you and Tika fall in love with her as much as we have Smile

Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY   UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 4:47 pm

Last night went super well again. We are definitely totally house trained and crate trained. Feathers playful side is starting to come out too. She is a total love muffin and she loves to bounce around in circles at meal time and when playing outside.

Koda and Hailey still intimidate her, so I think a home with just one other dog and less assertive would be best. She is more of a lover than a fighter.

Chris, Kelly-- this is a seriously great dog. I'm going to be in tears tomorrow when I hand her over.

Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY   UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 5:14 pm

We're both looking forward to tomorrow Tori.

Everything is going as planned thus far as long as there are no surprises we should have a fun bit of time.

To say we aren't nervous would be a lie, but I'm sure everything is going to be ok. Tika is a push over for the most part and just wants someone to play with. I'm sure social disorder will descend upon our house for time being as the cats express their disapproval of yet another dog (My black cat has hidden downstairs since we got Tika and was just starting to come back up).

Of all the things she could be lacking love will not be one of them. Kelly and I both have bleeding hearts for all animals, and keeping Feather out of a shelter was a must do in our books.

I can't speak to the future, but we welcome her into our lives and hope it works out the best for her in the end. We'll do everything in our power to provide her with a good and loving home, and if she is half the Husky you make her sound like that could very well be with us Smile.

Anyways, Tika will be with us tomorrow and she can show Feather how much of a spaz she is. Looking forward to meeting you both Tomorrow Tori Smile. Glad you made the steps to rescue her Smile

Thanks again.

~Chris~

Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY   UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 5:22 pm

If she were going anywhere else, I don't know that I'd let her go. I'm so glad she'll be with you guys! All else aside, I'm looking forward to meeting you both and Tika tomorrow as well!

Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY   UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 12:47 am

Dreaming of her new family...

UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY - Page 2 Img_0314

Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY   UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 3:39 am

Seriously Tori, I teared up a little after reading that. I love this forum. Thank you everyone for how wonderful you are with animals. Smile It really helps me realize that there is some good left in the world!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

PostSubject: Re: UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY   UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 7:59 am

Wonderful picture of Feather..
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

PostSubject: Re: UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY   UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 9:10 am

Great Shot.
Butt to Butt with Hailey???? Doesn't look dark enough to be Koda Smile

Shame we are going to have to move her again today, but if she adjusted that fast I can't help but hope she will again Smile.

See you soon Smile.

~Chris~

Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY   UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 9:24 am

Yeah, that's Hailey. I call her the "Great Equalizer." She's seriously awesome with other dogs. Don't tell the other dogs, but the secret is that she couldn't give a rat's ass about them, lol. She wants her people and her food as long as they are still there, who cares about another dog?

Koda on the other hand is a pain in the ass. I love him dearly- he is my heart dog, but he is tough.

Another week or two and she would have assimilated just fine. I think she's going to do great with Tika, I really do.

Back to top Go down
Bearsmom
Newborn
Newborn
Bearsmom

Female Join date : 2012-06-05

PostSubject: Re: UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY   UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 12:57 pm

i really want her but im in jobcorp and i have a male huskie on the way but i hope she finds a good home
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY   UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 7:40 pm

Well... the drop off went great. It was WONDERFUL meeting Chris, Kelly and "Spazz" Wink Feather took to Tika immediately! She was more excited to see her than she was for either Koda or Hailey. They even started playing right away for a little. We met up with some other dogs at the small dog park and after an hour or so we went our separate ways. My apologies to Kelly for making her cry!! But Feather is a very special girl and it certainly seems like she's found the perfect home. Chris and Kelly already texted me on their way back that Tika and Feather were wrestling Smile

Here's some pics!

Getting ready to go:
UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY - Page 2 Img_0315
UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY - Page 2 Img_0316

On the way:
UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY - Page 2 Imag0110

At the dog park:
UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY - Page 2 Img_0317
UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY - Page 2 Img_0318
UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY - Page 2 Img_0319
UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY - Page 2 Img_0321
UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY - Page 2 Img_0322
UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY - Page 2 Img_0323
UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY - Page 2 Img_0324
UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY - Page 2 Img_0325
UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY - Page 2 Img_0326
UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY - Page 2 Img_0330
UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY - Page 2 Img_0327

Another group of dogs showed up. Feather and Tika did great!:
UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY - Page 2 Img_0328

Feather showed little interest in the dogs and kept running up to the other people who had snacks/food. Poor Kelly kept running to bring Feather back:
UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY - Page 2 Img_0329

My goodbye... right before the water works started:
UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY - Page 2 460232_720402849963_1493035652_o

Feather going home...
UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY - Page 2 Img_0331

Good luck in your new home, Feather! I'll miss you I love you Thank you Kelly & Chris for giving her a chance!

Last edited by Koda on Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:31 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY   UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 7:54 pm

i know it was hard for you but its great she is fitting in all ready and i hope they keep you posted on how she is doing!

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY   UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 8:07 pm

Feather has the sweetest look I love you

That must have been so hard for you Tori! I would have been balling the entire time, but she's found an amazing home with Chris and Kelly!!
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

PostSubject: Re: UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY   UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 8:53 pm

Anymore updates I have been waiting to read how things are going..

I love the pictures. of Tika and Feather..
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY   UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 9:43 pm

Koda wrote:

UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY - Page 2 Img_0316
)

See those eyes? They're not only looking at you they're looking deep into your soul.
Thank you Tori for what you've done
Chris & Kelly, I wish you the best of luck with Feather.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY   UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 11:32 pm

Updated my previous post with more pictures of the day Smile

Back to top Go down
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY   UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 11:52 pm

Glad to hear eveything turnd out so well!
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

PostSubject: Re: UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY   UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 8:35 am

Glad to hear everything is turned out so good.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY   UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 8:37 am

MelissaI wrote:
Feather has the sweetest look I love you

That must have been so hard for you Tori! I would have been balling the entire time, but she's found an amazing home with Chris and Kelly!!
I was trying not to ball on the way up! I didn't want her to think I was bringing her to her death or something, lol. Tears were at the surface all day. I just couldn't hold it in when I say goodbye! I'm such a sap Sad

Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

PostSubject: Re: UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY   UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 10:05 am

Going to be long a post .
TL;DR Feather is fitting in nicely thus far and we haven't had any major issues.

Nah not a sap at all, you just care a great deal for her and that was apparent from the start Smile.

It was great meeting you BTW Tori, thanks for coming all that way, and Kelly and I had a great deal of fun (even if I got peed on, and the other dog owners didn't know what "husky play" was).

Sorry no update on our part last night... We were zonked. And I can't post any pics from work but I'll try and get ours up tonight if I can.

After the dog park we packed up and headed for my uncles house who lives just beside the border. We stopped in there to say Hello and give the brats a little bit of time to feel each other out in a house hold setting.

Feather walked right in and found his cat and chased it all the way upstairs. I'll follow this up now, she has been nothing but respectful to our cats. My uncle's cat fled and it trigger her prey drive, my cats swat and stand their ground. Feather has shown no interest in chasing them, either way we keep an ever watchful eye Wink .

Apart from that she was very kind and gentle, albeit a bit "pacy" and nervous. We attribute that to all the travel and changing hands and this morning she already seemed a lot calmer.

Tika kept trying and trying and trying to instigate play. Bite and runs on the legs, the ears, the neck but Feather just kept exploring the house. After about 30 mins of this she finally turned on Tika and within seconds they were rolling on top of each other trying to pin, chase, and bite. It was all play and it lasted a couple of minutes before Feather went back to exploring and Tika went back to trying to instigate.

We also aren't sure, but she could be tone deaf. Her ears move and respond to Kelly, but when I tend to talk if she isn't looking right at me, she doesn't always seem to hear me. It could just be she responds a lot better to women, but even a few simple test we did seemed to indicate she may be hard of hearing in some way shape or form (slamming my uncle's Symbol right behind her didn't make her turn and knocking something off a wall right behind her didn't get a reaction either. However a squeaky toy right behind her ear she turns for.)

We left his house and got her home and took both of them for a walk trying to feel out how bad of a puller she is, and to get them both used to walking side by side. Near the end of the walk they were "husky heeling" fine.

We had one incident thus far with a bone, and when Tika got near there were some warnings (growling bearing teeth) she should back off. And when we tried to take it from her she was VERY possessive of it. LEAVE IT, DROP ITs are going to be where we start.

We have already made progress as she waited semi nicely for breakfast and waited extremely well for her Kong . She is just SOOOOOOOOO food fixated, the second any form of food is around she is salivating.

The rest of the night went well, We had to crate her for the night as she kept getting into the Cat food (which we placed in the very center of our Kitchen table to stop her from eating it, she however can stretch very easily to get to it). She slept beside us all night, and used a blanket Tori gave her as a pillow she laid on all night, and didn't make a peep.

This morning I took both of them blading. I used my 10ft leash (has hooks on both ends) to strap them both together and off we went. Worked great until they both saw the same squirrel and my life quickly flashed before my eyes, but got them back under control and we got a good 30 min of cardio in.

Feather tired out very fast, as I assume she isn't used to that level of exercise, so we'll take it slow until she builds herself up a bit.

Crated and off to work.

There's a lot of crating going on right now and we'll try and limit it once we curve some of her food fixation. She is learning fast and was respectful of Tika's food this morning after she inhaled hers, so it might not be that long before we can relax a bit on that.

PROMISE I'll post pics as soon as Kelly puts the mobile ones up on FB, or tonight when we get home.

All in All she is a very friendly and loving dog. She demands pets and loves to be hugged. Doesn't have a mean bone in her body. Shes stubborn, always wagging her tail, and an explorer. Everything a husky should be Razz We just need to work with her set of rules and all that takes is time, something we have plenty of.

Thanks again for ALL YOUR HARD WORK Tori. We'll do our best to keep you and everyone else up to date on her progress.

~Chris~
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

PostSubject: Re: UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY   UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 10:17 am

Great update thanks for the info.. looking forward to pictures..

She seems to have some of the same issues we have discovered with Kerian we are working thru them with her and I am sure you will with Feather.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY   UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

UPDATE: Female Husky R/W- Schenectady, NY

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next